Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. Continental was granted CAB authority to directly serve Seattle and Portland in 1966. CO then began operating nonstop flights between one U.S. city and SEA and PDX with direct flights also operated via this city to other destinations in its route network. Identify the only U.S. city that had nonstop Continental service to Portland and Seattle at this time.

This sure sounds like Denver. So far as I recall, the only other CO routes into the Pacific Northwest were up from California (BUR, ONT, SJC) and none of those cities offered much in the way of onward direct flights. Denver on the other hand was probably CO's oldest hub where flights from the PNW could continue on to places like OKC, TUL, ICT or MCI - to name just a few...

13. It's still 1966 and you are in Hakalau near Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. You need to travel to Honolulu for a lunch meeting in Waikiki and have found a daily flight departing ITO at the civilized time of 9:40 am that arrives HNL at 11:28 am. Two stops are made en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops.

Back in 1976 I flew aboard an Aloha 737 between ITO and HNL with enroute stops at KOA and OGG. Ten years earlier, let's stick with Aloha along the same routing. As to aircraft, Aloha operated both BAC-111s and Vickers Viscounts. I'm not 100% on the timeline but it was obviously in the 1960s before the arrival of the 737s. So... let's roll the dice and go with the older of the two - the Viscount.
12. It does sound like Denver, doesn't it? Surprisingly, it was not DEN. And in fact, this CAB route award did not even result in direct, no change of plane Continental service between Denver and Seattle or Portland. So we are looking for another city here.

13. Ah, it was not Aloha Airlines and the equipment wasn't a Vickers Viscount. You have also correctly guessed just one of the two stops as well. Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 2017 at 10:51 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Lost
An oil baron wanted to celebrate New Year's three times in one night and knew just the right airplane to charter for the job...
22. A very plausible guess. However, there was another reason for this visit by Concorde to MAF at this time......
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Here's a bonus quiz item:

In 1985, People Express was operating a non-hub route (meaning these flights did not originate, stop at or terminate at their Newark hub) between a destination in the northern U.S. and a destination in Florida. A daily round trip nonstop flight was operated on this route. Identify both of the served airports as well as the equipment flown on the service
And this bonus quiz item is still hanging around on a wet and cold Tuesday morning in southern Louisiana.

It also appears that we just might experience an ice storm here on New Years Eve with temperatures descending to the mid 20s F by New Years Day......
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. This airline was operating a flight named the "The Irish Mercury" in 1949. This eastbound transatlantic service was flown once a week and two stops were made en route between the originating city and the final destination. Identify the air carrier, the originating city, the two intermediate stops, the final destination and the aircraft.

6. It's 1959 and you are in Houston. You need to travel to Amarillo for a meeting and have found a daily flight departing Hobby Airport at 7:45 am that will get you into AMA at 1:20 pm. Four intermediate stops are made by this service. Name the airline, aircraft and all four stops in order. ANSWERED

12. Continental was granted CAB authority to directly serve Seattle and Portland in 1966. CO then began operating nonstop flights between one U.S. city and SEA and PDX with direct flights also operated via this city to other destinations in its route network. Identify the only U.S. city that had nonstop Continental service to Portland and Seattle at this time. ANSWERED

13. It's still 1966 and you are in Hakalau near Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. You need to travel to Honolulu for a lunch meeting in Waikiki and have found a daily flight departing ITO at the civilized time of 9:40 am that arrives HNL at 11:28 am. Two stops are made en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops. ANSWERED

14. Now it's the spring of 1968 and you are in New York City where you've just completed a project as a consultant. The phone rings and its your old sailing buddy. "Hey man, I'm in Aruba with my new catamaran! Come on down and we'll sail to Martinique!" Well, what the heck.....there's a flight which operates six days a week departing from JFK at 7:30 am arriving at AUA at 2:30 pm. Two stops are made en route. So you attempt to book a seat in first class only to be told the flight features an all coach cabin. No problem! Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft.

15. You are back in Hawaii in Honolulu in the summer of 1968 once again involved with project work. It's time for a long weekend break with friends at their beach house at Honoka'a on the windward side off the Big Island. You've found round trip service to and from the airport closest to your destination. You'll be on a nonstop from HNL and your return flight back to Honolulu will make one stop en route. Name the airport on the Big Island served by these flights, the airline, the stop on the return and the equipment operated on each flight.

17. Now it's 1969 and you need to travel from Los Angeles to Seattle for a lunch meeting. You've found a daily flight departing LAX at 7:00 am that will get you into SEA at 10:54 am. Two stops will be made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the equipment.

19. In 1973 this airline was operating a direct flight from New York JFK to New York La Guardia six days a week with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops in order and the aircraft. And here are some hints: this flight was not operated by a helicopter airline nor by a commuter air carrier.

20. How many Boeing 707-123B aircraft were being operated by American in late 1974?

21. In 1976 this airline was operating two aircraft types on shuttle flights between Trinidad (POS) and Tobago (TAB). Name the air carrier and both aircraft.

22. What was the primary purpose concerning a visit by the Concorde SST to Midland/Odessa (MAF) in late 1978?

24. In the summer of 1982 this airline was operating direct service from Grand Cayman (GCM) to Detroit (DTW) six days a week with two stops being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft. Republic operating a DC-9-50 with a routing of GCM-MIA-___-DTW

25. Now it's late 1982 and you are in Tucson. You need to return to Las Vegas for the same annual trade show and convention. There's a daily flight departing TUS at 3:30 pm that will get you to LAS at 4:30 pm with one stop being made en route and the equipment has four engines. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED
Plus we are making excellent progress here with the above remaining up for grabs......

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 29, 2017 at 1:54 pm Reason: "answered" updates
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jrl767
6- CO flying HOU - < three of AUS/SAT/MAF/LBB plus one XXX > - AMA, not a DC-3 ... that leaves a Viscount as the aircraft in question; the only two other cities of any size along a basically northwesterly track are San Angelo (SJT) and Abilene (ABI) ... as a first shot, let’s replace SAT with SJT

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. Indeed, Continental was operating a Vickers Viscount turboprop on this service. In fact, the Viscount was the only turbine powered airplane operated by CO into Houston at this time in 1959 (other aircraft included the DC-3, DC-6B and DC-7B). Here's the sched.....

CO 211: Houston Hobby (HOU) 7:45a - 8:38a Austin (AUS) 8:48a - 9:40a San Angelo (SJT) 9:50a - 10:26a Midland/Odessa (MAF) 11:15a - 12:05p Lubbock (LBB) 12:30p - 1:20p Amarillo (AMA)
Op: Daily
Service: Snack HOU-AUS
Equip: JET POWER VISCOUNT II
Note: No local traffic permitted MAF-AMA

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 26, 2017 at 11:18 am Reason: additional info
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
CO 211: Houston Hobby (HOU) 7:45a - 8:38a Austin (AUS) 8:48a - 9:40a San Angelo (SJT) 9:50a - 10:26a Midland/Odessa (MAF) 11:15a - 12:05p Lubbock (LBB) 12:30p - 1:20p Amarillo (AMA)
interesting scheduling at the intermediate stops: 10 minutes at AUS and SJT, 49 minutes at MAF, 25 minutes at LBB
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting scheduling at the intermediate stops: 10 minutes at AUS and SJT, 49 minutes at MAF, 25 minutes at LBB
It appears Midland/Odessa was a small connecting hub for Continental at this time as Viscount flights not only from HOU, AUS, SJT, LBB and AMA but also from MKC, OKC, TUL, DAL and ELP all stopped at MAF. There was also a round trip CO DC-3 flight between College Station and Albuquerque via Love Field which stopped all over the place that also routed via MAF. In addition, there was a connecting CO DC-3 flight at LBB from OKC, LAW and SPS as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 26, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA
4. British South American Airways (BSAA) is correct! However, the routing was just a bit different: Santiago - Buenos Aires - Montevideo - Sao Paulo - Natal - Dakar - Lisbon - London. BSAA flight 222 departed Santiago at 9:55 am every Wednesday and arrived in London on the following Saturday at 3:35 pm.
This inspires a little bonus question. That's a fair span of points along the way on that 1949 trip. So, in 1949, who was the principal carrier you would see, in terms of number of flights per week, at each of those points along the way.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
This inspires a little bonus question. That's a fair span of points along the way on that 1949 trip. So, in 1949, who was the principal carrier you would see, in terms of number of flights per week, at each of those points along the way.
I'll kick this one off....

* Santiago - Linea Aeria Nacional (LAN) Chile

* Buenos Aires - Flota Aerea Mercante Argentina (FAMA)

* Montevideo - Aviacion Del Litoral Fluvial (ALFA)

* Sao Paulo - Viacao Aerea Sao Paulo (VASP)

* Natal - Panair do Brasil S.A. (PAB)
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
12. Continental was granted CAB authority to directly serve Seattle and Portland in 1966. CO then began operating nonstop flights between one U.S. city and SEA and PDX with direct flights also operated via this city to other destinations in its route network. Identify the only U.S. city that had nonstop Continental service to Portland and Seattle at this time.

Hmm... If not Denver, then let's go with San Jose, CA with direct service from BUR and ONT

13. It's still 1966 and you are in Hakalau near Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii. You need to travel to Honolulu for a lunch meeting in Waikiki and have found a daily flight departing ITO at the civilized time of 9:40 am that arrives HNL at 11:28 am. Two stops are made en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops.

If not Aloha, then the next logical choice would be Hawaiian, which was operating DC-9s and I believe Convair props of some type. As to routings, so many options... I once flew a HA D95 HNL-LAN-MKK-OGG. Let's say the flight routed ITO-OGG-MKK-HNL using a DC-9
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Hmm... If not Denver, then let's go with San Jose, CA with direct service from BUR and ONT

If not Aloha, then the next logical choice would be Hawaiian, which was operating DC-9s and I believe Convair props of some type. As to routings, so many options... I once flew a HA D95 HNL-LAN-MKK-OGG. Let's say the flight routed ITO-OGG-MKK-HNL using a DC-9
12. An excellent guess! I remember Continental's west coast routes flown with Boeing 727-200 equipment between SEA/PDX and BUR/ONT via SJC. As we have previously discussed, CO operated the Boeing 720B on the route as well (and Continental may well have been the only airline ever to operate the 720B into Burbank). But, no! It was not San Jose! So I would head east, sir, and believe it or not, I just might have dropped some hints here with my response - twice! @:-)

13. Indeed, it was Hawaiian Airlines operating a new DC-9-10. But we are still looking for the correct routing here. And note that only one of your stops is correct - but which one? Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 27, 2017 at 6:31 pm
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... we are making excellent progress ...
25. ... late 1982 and you are in Tucson. You need to return to Las Vegas for the same annual trade show and convention. There's a daily flight departing TUS at 3:30 pm that will get you to LAS at 4:30 pm with one stop being made en route and the equipment has four engines. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.
25- elapsed time says the intermediate stop was Phoenix (PHX); with the 747 being an obvious non-candidate, four engines says 707 (American, TWA), 720 (Western), DC-8-61/71 (United), or BAe-146 (PSA) ... I think I can eliminate TW and PS as not operating PHX-LAS and WA as not operating TUS-PHX, and I dont think UA ever ran their D8S jets into TUS ... so Im left with an AA 707
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25- elapsed time says the intermediate stop was Phoenix (PHX); with the 747 being an obvious non-candidate, four engines says 707 (American, TWA), 720 (Western), DC-8-61/71 (United), or BAe-146 (PSA) ... I think I can eliminate TW and PS as not operating PHX-LAS and WA as not operating TUS-PHX, and I dont think UA ever ran their D8S jets into TUS ... so Im left with an AA 707
25. Great guess! However, the air carrier wasn't American (or PSA, TWA, United or Western) , the flight in question did not stop in Phoenix and the equipment was not a 707. In fact, the aircraft wasn't a jet: it was a turboprop.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA
25. Great guess! However, the air carrier wasn't American (or PSA, TWA, United or Western) , the flight in question did not stop in Phoenix and the equipment was not a 707. In fact, the aircraft wasn't a jet: it was a turboprop.
I'm going to have a wild stab that this was a Go Air Vickers Viscount ! Go Air were based in Tucson and built up in the 1970s-80s a substantial Viscount fleet, mainly used for charters for entertainers, rock bands, that sort of corporate work. But did they have a shot at schedules as well ?

Here are at least five of their Viscounts on the ground at Tucson in the 1980s.

Vickers 745D Viscount - Go Air | Aviation Photo #1597167 | Airliners.net

If I'm wrong, well, it's always nice to have a shot of a Viscount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.