Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2-
  • PSC-SEA QX F28
  • SEA-PDX CZ B11
  • PDX-SMF UA 737
  • SMF-SNA OC 737
And we're off! Unfortunately, only CZ, its BAC-111 and PDX are on. None of the other cities or airlines or aircraft are involved in the answer here. That's not to say for example that OC didn't operate 737s between SMF and SNA, but per the parameters of this question, it didn't work either due to inbound flights to SMF and the equipment they were operated with or the schedule. But that's great because now we have more focus. For example, per the parameters of this question, if 737s are out, then all Boeing equipment is out. And of course it's helpful to know that SEA and SMF are not in the equation.
2- very well then; let's try this:
  • PSC-PDX CZ B11
  • PDX-RNO PSA BAe 146
  • RNO-LAS Sunworld DC-9-10
  • LAS-SNA Republic DC-9-10
Old Jan 13, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jlemon
BONUS quiz question: What major U.S. airline mistakenly landed in Buffalo, Wyoming and what was the aircraft type? Hint: it was a jet.
I won't answer this, because I looked it up, but I learned that it led to a landmark ruling by the NTSB. I'm particularly fond of wrong-airport landings; my favorite continues to be UA 861.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I won't answer this, because I looked it up, but I learned that it led to a landmark ruling by the NTSB. I'm particularly fond of wrong-airport landings; my favorite continues to be UA 861.
A red-eye flight from China to Portland? What was the schedule? 4a departure? I was also amused by the columnist's use of "jumbo jet" to refer to a DC8, but I guess there really weren't any bigger planes back then.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. (1982) Eastern Airlines introduced the A300B to scheduled flights within the United States. Over the years, many other U.S. airlines also operated the A300. After Eastern, what was the second US airline to do so?

Yet another wild guess: Northeastern International. And I think their first two A300s were leased from Lufthansa.

Oh, not so wild... In fact, you're correct!. We've acknowledged that the airline in question had only four A300s, which points toward a smaller operation like Northeastern Int'l. or Carnival. Northeastern's four Airbus A300B2s came in a high density 314-passenger single-class, eight-abreast configurations: D-AIAD from Lufthansa in January (1984), D-AIAE from Lufthansa in February, F-ODRD from Airbus Industrie in May, and F-ODRE from Airbus Financial Services. Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9881452

10. (1985) There’s a man up in Buffalo, Wyoming who’s put an ad out in your monthly 4H publication indicating that he’s got an eight year old International Harvester tractor for sale. The price is right but even so it’s worth your time and money to fly up there and check it out before committing. The closest airport to Buffalo is in Sheridan, Wyoming and your spread is just outside of Lubbock, Texas. This oughta be interesting… But surprise, surprise! Turns out there’s one airline that can fly you all the way through via two one-stop flights with just a single conveniently timed connection. Two different aircraft types will be employed. Identify the airline, the complete routing and the two aircraft types.

I believe 1985 was the year Aspen Airways began operating the BAe 146-100 in addition to their trusty Convair 580 turboprops. I also recall that Aspen was serving a couple of destinations in the Texas panhandle from its Denver hub back then to include Amarillo as well as Lubbock. So let's go with Aspen operating a BAe 146 LBB - AMA - DEN on the first flight. And as for the connecting service, let's board an Aspen Convair 580 in Denver and make a stop in Gillette on the way to Sheridan.

I believe that once again, you are correct!, Sir! From its early days operating Convair 440s between Denver, Aspen and occasionally Rifle, Aspen really spread its wings post-deregulation. I remember flying AP Convair 580s between Durango and Denver, and of course its route map also extended to Texas, New Mexico, Iowa and California. As to the Lubbock to Sheridan route, here's your boarding pass -

Aspen Airways AP 062 Lubbock (LBB) 810a-841a Amarillo (AMA) 855a-900a Denver (DEN) BAe-146 Daily
Aspen Airways AP 108 Denver (DEN) 940a-1055a Gillette (GCC) 1110a-1140a Sheridan (SHR) CVR-580

BONUS quiz question: What major U.S. airline mistakenly landed in Buffalo, Wyoming and what was the aircraft type? Hint: it was a jet.

Living in Colorado at the time, and having flown said airline into the correct airport just three years earlier, I am well familiar with this one. The town of Buffalo pulled out all the stops in later years with a day honoring the pilot. The first year after, on the anniversary of the landing that had put Buffalo on the map, the city held day named in the pilot's honor in celebration. They invited the pilot to join, but his airline, which had temporarily demoted the captain because of the incident, disapproved. The next year Buffalo tried again. In fear that they would once again miss out on the captain, the city put out a nationwide call for any person with the same name to attend and be celebrated as a guest of honor. Six similarly named people showed up, including the pilot, who brought his wife and two children to the celebration.

Anyway, I'll leave this one out there in the hope that others here might also be familiar...
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
2. (1985) On Friday you are flying from Pasco, WA to Orange County, CA over a most distinctive routing. It involves four nonstop flights aboard four different airlines, each operating three jet models under 105’ in length. Two of the jets are foreign built, and two of the airlines are operating the same type of jet. Can you piece together the route with the correct airlines and aircraft types for each flight?

Very well then; let's try this:
  • PSC-PDX CZ B11 Correct route, correct airline
  • PDX-RNO PSA BAe 146 Correct route, wrong airline and aircraft
  • RNO-LAS Sunworld DC-9-10 Correct route, correct airline
  • LAS-SNA Republic DC-9-10 Correct route, wrong airline and aircraft
Now you're cookin'! You've got the correct routing and all of the correct aircraft, including two DC-9-10 flights. However, Republic was not one of the airlines. Given what we've acknowledged and eliminated above, this should be pretty darned close to tap-in time here...
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
A red-eye flight from China to Portland? What was the schedule? 4a departure? I was also amused by the columnist's use of "jumbo jet" to refer to a DC8, but I guess there really weren't any bigger planes back then.
I think you mean "Chicago to Portland" I love the quote "This is Portland?!"
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. (1985) On Friday you are flying from Pasco, WA to Orange County, CA over a most distinctive routing. It involves four nonstop flights aboard four different airlines, each operating three jet models under 105’ in length. Two of the jets are foreign built, and two of the airlines are operating the same type of jet. Knowing which airlines flew small jets of the day into Pasco and Orange County is a start, and as for points in between, again, we're dealing with airlines that flew these smallest jets and by extension where they flew them. Can you piece together the route with the correct airlines and aircraft types for each flight?
In Play

5. (1982) You’ll be flying from Mexico City to Baltimore next week. You’ve found an interesting routing that manages to avoid any aircraft powered by Pratt & Whitney’s ubiquitous JT8D engines. In fact, no three engine aircraft will be involved. Rather, you’ll be flying upon two different airlines, each operating the same aircraft model. Given the parameters supplied, I’ve found only one routing that satisfies them. Please identify the airlines, the routing and the aircraft involved.
In Play

7. (1982) Only one airline offers scheduled flights via three daily nonstops with mainline jet equipment between Washington National (DCA) AND Washington Dulles (IAD). Any thoughts on which airline this is and the type of equipment it employs on all three flights?
In Play

9. (1982) In 1982 this state had three airports that as of May 1982 were served nothing larger than standard twin engine jets of the day. Just three years later, each airport was being served by much larger aircraft, configured to carry at least eighty more passengers. Identify these three airports and the larger aircraft type serving all three airports.

11. (1982) Only one airline can fly you all the way from Jacksonville, Florida to Manzanillo, Mexico. But not nonstop. The first flight will make one enroute stop to the connection point. The next flight will be nonstop to Manzanillo. The same aircraft type will be used on both flights. Please supply all the usual stuff intrinsic to a correct answer.

12. (1985) Imagine my surprise whist perusing the tattered pages of my well worn 1985 OAG for these questions to discover that the entire country of Canada is served by only a single BAC-111 flight per day. Mind you, I checked all the usual suspects – airlines, routes, cities, international points of entry – nope, just the one flight. Here’s a hint though. It originates in the U.S. Can you identify the airline and the route?
In Play

13. (1982) After two years of managing Acapulco’s prestigious Las Brisas Resort, you’ve been tabbed to be the new manager of the famous Banff Springs Hotel. You’ll be flying from Mexico City up to Calgary this weekend to meet your management team and inspect the hotel. Rather surprisingly, your trip up will require just two nonstop flights on two different airlines with First Class available on each. No 727s will be involved, but each flight you’re booked upon will be operated by the same aircraft type. Please provide the salient details.
In Play

14. (1985) As of mid-1985, there were five airlines operating scheduled flights within the U.S. utilizing all Economy Class configured widebody aircraft. Identify each of the airlines and the widebody type each operated in all-Y.
In Play

15. (1982) You need to fly from Evansville to Phoenix next week. Your normal go-to choice of Eastern via Atlanta is only available in First Class, which you can’t afford. Fortunately, another airline has coach seats available all the way through. It is the only other online option. Two nonstop flights, a single connection, two different aircraft types… Details, please

16. (1985) Erie to Yellowknife… it sounds like a line in some folk ballad… but tomorrow you’re actually gonna be flying it. Your trip will involve three nonstop flights on three airlines, each operating aircraft built by a different manufacturer. Additionally, each aircraft will have a different number of engines. So far as I’ve been able to figure, only one routing meets these parameters. Can you sort it all out? Routing, airlines and aircraft please…
In Play

17. (1982) You’ve enjoyed a wonderful week of sun and fun in Montego Bay, Jamaica but now it’s time to return home to your equally beautiful island home of Nova Scotia. There are of course no nonstops and the usual connection through Toronto is not available. In its stead, you’ve cobbled together an intriguing three flight itinerary involving three nonstops on three airlines with each aircraft getting progressively longer. Also, you’ll need to overnight at your second connection point. Alright then, you know the drill…

20. (1985) Well it’s not exactly a sporting matchup made for the ages, but the twelfth-ranked Women’s Softball team from the University of Evansville is traveling west to take on the ninth-ranked team from the University of Nebraska. As the crack sports reporter from the Evansville Enquirer, you’ve been tasked to fly along and cover the match. Where exactly is the University of Nebraska, anyway? Turns out you’ll need two nonstop flights to get there, aboard two different airlines each operating the same type of jet. Please supply further details…

21. (1982) Looking at the schedules between Miami and Los Angeles, nonstop widebodies predominate with First Class and Coach widely offered. However, one airline alone offers a single daily all Y-Class configured flight, making a single enroute stop. What could this mysterious all coach player be? And what kind of aircraft does it operate? Where does it stop?

22. (1985) Remember the Good Old Days of the 1970s when milk-runs – some of them seven or more stops were commonly flown throughout the United States. Who can forget that Northwest flight that made, like, ten stops between Miami and Portland! Or National 493 that made nine stops between New York and Houston. These days there are a few three or four stop routings, but the hub and spoke route maps favored by the industry have mostly eliminated the mega-milkruns. Still, there is one airline that operates a six-stop flight between Los Angeles and Tampa. Can you identify it, the six stops and the aircraft type?
essentially A N S W E R E D See Post 27138

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 15, 2023 at 5:18 am
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
2. (1985) On Friday you are flying from Pasco, WA to Orange County, CA over a most distinctive routing. It involves four nonstop flights aboard four different airlines, each operating three jet models under 105’ in length. Two of the jets are foreign built, and two of the airlines are operating the same type of jet. Can you piece together the route with the correct airlines and aircraft types for each flight?
< per
jrl767 >
Now you're cookin'! You've got the correct routing and all of the correct aircraft, including two DC-9-10 flights. However, Republic was not one of the airlines. Given what we've acknowledged and eliminated above, this should be pretty darned close to tap-in time here...
2- < totally > wild guess here PDX-RNO Great American DC9, LAS-SNA Royal West BAe 146
Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
No, it was from Chicago to Portland. Troutdale is 10 miles east of Portland International, in the same relationship to the Columbia River. In the 1970s I spent a lot of time flying to and from Portland via Chicago on UA DC-8s.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:17 pm

No, it was from Chicago to Portland. Troutdale is 10 miles east of Portland International, in the same relationship to the Columbia River. In the 1970s I spent a lot of time flying to and from Portland via Chicago on UA DC-8s.
I actually lived in Portland for five years so I know the area. I also know the difference between Chicago and China but I sometimes my phone has a mind of its own.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:11 pm

16. Erie to Yellowknife
ERI-YYZ US DC9 (small one)
YYZ-YVR AC L1011-500
YVR-YZF ??

Last edited by moondog; Jan 13, 2023 at 11:32 pm
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Totally > wild guess here PDX-RNO Great American DC9, LAS-SNA Royal West BAe 146

I apologize for any confusion here re. airlines. On your original guess, only Republic was wrong. PSA is involved here, just not between PDX and RNO

You are VERY close now.

PDX-RNO is a DC-9-10 and the airline is an obscure one, like Great American. It's so obscure that I've flown aboard one of its DC-9s on lease to another airline in the area operating its first jet services.
The 146 between LAS and SNA is Correct, so I think we know where Poor Sailor's Airline belongs.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

16. (1985) Erie to Yellowknife… it sounds like a line in some folk ballad… but tomorrow you’re actually gonna be flying it. Your trip will involve three nonstop flights on three airlines, each operating aircraft built by a different manufacturer. Additionally, each aircraft will have a different number of engines. So far as I’ve been able to figure, only one routing meets these parameters. Can you sort it all out? Routing, airlines and aircraft please…

ERI-YYZ US DC9 (small one)
YYZ-YVR AC L1011-500
YVR-YZF ??

We're looking for complete answers here, including variant specific. I'm confident you can provide at least an educated guess on all three. So what if you're wrong on one or two. We'll work it out eventually. I'll withhold further comment until your complete answer's in. You got this!
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. (1982) Eastern Airlines introduced the A300B to scheduled flights within the United States. Over the years, many other U.S. airlines also operated the A300. After Eastern, what was the second US airline to do so?
And here's a photo of a Northeastern A300B2 at Miami....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Nort...2-1C/4867773/L

Note the basic Lufthansa livery as well as the "D" registration. Northeastern International also operated the A300 into New Orleans back when the airline had a small hub at MSY.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
BONUS: Well, your link concerning the NTSB ruling with regard to this incident essentially tells the tale. It was a Western Airlines B737-247 with 94 passengers on board operating as WA 44 inbound to Sheridan (SHR) on July 31, 1979. The Captain was Lowell Ferguson who as Seat 2A mentions was later celebrated by the folks in Buffalo during "Lowell Ferguson Day". The flight landed at the Johnson County Airport (BYG) at night and there were no injuries. It was reported that after the aircraft came to a stop, the flight attendants served champagne to the passengers. The mistaken landing was also widely reported by the news media with Johnny Carson also mentioning it on The Tonight Show. Mr. Carson reportedly said "Everyone in those parts knows the weather vane on the feed store in Buffalo is four inches taller than the weather vane on the feed store in Sheridan."

And here's a photo of a Western B737-247 in its original livery at Denver in the early 1970's.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/West...-247/6667855/L

WA used its new 73S aircraft to replace its L-188 Electra propjets, of course.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2023 at 10:23 am Reason: added photo link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.