Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
24- well, I didn't think PI still ran 727-100s in 1979, so you got me on that one

as for the stop, I'm REALLY drawing a blank other than DAY or CLT ... it was a big deal when PI brought jets into Roanoke/ROA and Tri-Cities (Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City)/TRI from ORD, but I sure don't remember any more extensive service from either of those points; looking closer to DAY, it's not unreasonable to speculate they might have explored the market at Columbus/CMH or Indianapolis/IND or even Louisville/SDF ... I think the first two were USAir strongholds, so let's say SDF

27- last guess for this evening ... USAir, Philadelphia/PHL and Pittsburgh/PIT
24. Yep, Piedmont was operating a 727 via Louisville on this service which was the one and only departure per day from Denver operated by PI at this time. Here's the sched....

PI 618: Denver (DEN) 1:10p - 5:22p Louisville (SDF) 5:50p - 7:09p Washington National (DCA)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: Lunch DEN-SDF, Snack SDF-DCA
Equip: B727-100

27. Nope, it wasn't USAir and stops were not made at Philadelphia or Pittsburgh.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon

25. If you wanted to fly into Rome on board a VFW 614 jet in 1980, you could do so but only once a week. This flight was actually operated by another air carrier on behalf of a larger airline. Identify the airline you would call, the air carrier that actually operated the flight and the airport in Europe that you would depart from on board the VFW 614 nonstop to Rome.
Hmmm - hardly anybody ran the VFW-614, and even of the ones that were built a good number were never sold anyway. But one of the few was Air Alsace, based in an obscure eastern France town of Colmar, up against the German border not far from Strasbourg. They ran from there to other major European cities, under the Air France banner, although unlike many other such arrangements they did not have the Air France livery applied - I think.

Monarch was also operating flights [1996] with Airbus equipment (I think with the A320) between LTN and ALC at this time. And I wonder what the service was like in their business class cabin?
It was called "Monarch Plus", and just gave some extras. I believe the seats were the same, you were just seated at the front, with special antimacassars on the seats. Flat extra charge, something like GBP 25 per flight. However, I wonder if they gave out free drinks. Sale of drinks etc has long been a huge revenue stream for the UK holiday airlines, who manage at least two runs with the bar cart on each flight, and I've seen it said that the margin on alcohol sales in some years has been what has turned an airline operating loss into a profit ! Not only the income for the airline, the cabin crews are always on significant commission for drinks and duty-free, which compensates them for the notably low salaries paid, taking the better ones from below the legacy BA crew's pay for the month to above it.

It was a Monarch 757 in the 1990s that I took one early December, Gatwick to Fuerteventura. On the trip home, was seated next to an older couple who spent the first hour working closely through the duty free catalogue. When that cart came along they bought this ... that ... two of those please ... and this ... etc, all for cousin x or nephew y, bottle of gin, bottle of whisky. They seemed to do their whole Christmas shopping while we were passing over Portugal, must have spent well over GBP 200, multiple bagfuls. And when the FA finally moved on, there was more than a trace of a smile of course.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 8, 2020 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:07 am

41. Please guess again, sir!
Nothing too exotic is springing to mind, so I'll try British Airways
Old Jul 8, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidentís Circle
29. It's still 1986 and you are in Philadelphia. You've been invited to a golf tournament in Greenbrier, West Virginia. But how to get there by air? Ah, here's a direct flight operated three days a week with jet equipment which makes one stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
All right, I was just down the road in Delaware in college at this time. Was thinking that this could have been part of one of the "Dupont Specials" that were run in the late 80s to early 90s but Greenbrier isn't the right spot. Had to do a little research so I'm going to guess an Air Atlanta 727-100 going PHL-ATL-LWB
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hmmm - hardly anybody ran the VFW-614, and even of the ones that were built a good number were never sold anyway. But one of the few was Air Alsace, based in an obscure eastern France town of Colmar, up against the German border not far from Strasbourg. They ran from there to other major European cities, under the Air France banner, although unlike many other such arrangements they did not have the Air France livery applied - I think.
25. Air Alsace operating VFW-614 service on behalf of Air France is correct! Here's the sched.....

AF 2644: Strasbourg (SXB) 11:15a - 1:05p Rome (FCO)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Equip: VF6 (VFW-614)

At this same time, Air Alsace was also operating this service on behalf of Air France....

AF 2644: Strasbourg (SXB) 12:20p - 2:00p Rome (FCO)
Freq: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Equip: FJF (Fokker F.28 Fellowship)

And it also appears that Air Alsace did not operate their VFW-614 aircraft in Air France livery but did apply Air France titles in addition to the Air Alsace livery. This photo was taken in 1980 which is the same year as our quiz item (note the Caravelles in the background)......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-...ttXx9XnPolEMrl

I believe only nineteen VFW-614 aircraft were built. A survivor is on permanent display on the rooftop terrace at the Bremen Airport (BRE)....

I've also seen the aircraft referred to as the VFW-Fokker 614 and am wondering what role Fokker played concerning production of this early regional jet.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2020 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Nothing too exotic is springing to mind, so I'll try British Airways
41. Ah, it wasn't BA. And I do not believe the airline in question has ever been thought of as being exotic....
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
All right, I was just down the road in Delaware in college at this time. Was thinking that this could have been part of one of the "Dupont Specials" that were run in the late 80s to early 90s but Greenbrier isn't the right spot. Had to do a little research so I'm going to guess an Air Atlanta 727-100 going PHL-ATL-LWB
29. Air Atlanta operating a B727-100 is correct.....however, the stop was not made in Atlanta. And we await the tap in.....
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:15 am

41. Ah, it wasn't BA. And I do not believe the airline in question has ever been thought of as being exotic....
I think it's going to be..........

United Airlines
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
I've also seen the aircraft referred to as the VFW-Fokker 614 and am wondering what role Fokker played concerning production of this early regional jet.....
if memory serves, VFW was a German airframe manufacturers' consortium, the F being Focke-Wulf; it merged with (or, probably more accurately, was acquired by) Fokker ~1970
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I think it's going to be..........

United Airlines
41. An excellent thought as United is correct! Here's the complete sched....

UA 1: Delhi (DEL) 2:00a - 6:50a London Heathrow (LHR) 9:30a - 12:40p New York Kennedy (JFK)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/C/Y
Equip: B767-300
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
21. You've just successfully completed a consulting project in Cleveland when the phone rings. "Hey buddy! I don't know what the weather is like in Cleveland (you look out of thewindow and it's snowing) but it sure is nice here in St. Thomas! The girls are here and we are just about ready to sail the catamaran over to Virgin Gorda in the BVI! Come on down!" Well, how can you refuse? It's a Friday afternoon and you quickly ascertain there is a direct weekend only flight departing from CLE the next morning to the Caribbean where you'll make an interesting connection. Your first flight will make one intermediate stop en route. You'll then have one and one-half hours to make your connection....and as you want to arrive directly into the St. Thomas harbor where the catamaran is moored, your second flight will be on board a seaplane which means you'll have to use ground transportation in the form of a reserved limo which will transport you from the airport you'll arrive into in the Caribbean to the local seaplane base. No problem! You've got this! So with all this in mind, identify the air carrier departing from Cleveland, the intermediate stop, the equipment operated on the first flight, the airport you'll arrive into in the Caribbean, the name of the seaplane base you'll depart from as well as the airline and seaplane type you'll fly on over to the St. Thomas seaplane base.
21- I think the logical connecting point is St Croix; the flight from CLE would have arrived at the international airport (STX) and the connecting flight to the St Thomas Seaplane Base (SPB) would have departed from the Christiansted Harbor Seaplane Base (SSB)

as for the flights, how about American with a 707 via JFK and Antilles Air Boats with a Grumman Goose

during my Dec 1979 Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage trip I took a Goose (N1048V) in the opposite direction
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
21- I think the logical connecting point is St Croix; the flight from CLE would have arrived at the international airport (STX) and the connecting flight to the St Thomas Seaplane Base (SPB) would have departed from the Christiansted Harbor Seaplane Base (SSB)

as for the flights, how about American with a 707 via JFK and Antilles Air Boats with a Grumman Goose

during my Dec 1979 Eastern Airlines Unlimited Mileage trip I took a Goose (N1048V) in the opposite direction
21. A great guess....however, the connection was not made from STX to the Christiansted seaplane base on St. Croix, the first flight was not operated by American, the equipment wasn't a 707 and the stop was not made at New York Kennedy.

But there is some good news here as the seaplane air carrier was indeed Antilles Air Boats operating a Grumman Goose.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2020 at 11:49 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
[QUOTE32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline.][/QUOTE]

I seem to remember PSA offering intra-California shuttles in that era. So will guess Pacific Southwest wth MD-80s.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
37. I'll assume you are referring to the B737-200 as the specific model.....and that's the equipment we are looking for here.

However, it wasn't Copa, the first flight did not stop at Belize or Managua and the connection wasn't made at Panama City.
Let's try the Training Academy of Central America, er, TACA, instead.
TA IAH-GUA-SAL connecting to SAL-ADZ?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline.

I seem to remember PSA offering intra-California shuttles in that era. So will guess Pacific Southwest wth MD-80s.
32. A very logical guess....however, it wasn't PSA. Plus, the air carrier in question did not specify what type of equipment it was operating on the new shuttle service so it may have been a mix of mainline jet aircraft types already in its fleet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.