Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
21- I guess the only other possibility for the connection would have been for the inbound flight to arrive at San Juan International (SJU) and the AD Goose to depart from a San Juan seaplane terminal

the only other carriers with a fair amount of SJU service would have been Pan Am (who didn't yet have domestic feed) and Eastern; I know EA had nonstop service from Chicago/ORD (I flew that on a TriStar in Dec 79), but that's a ridiculous backtrack ... Atlanta and Miami are both too obvious, so let's try a 727-225 via Pittsburgh/PIT
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Let's try the Training Academy of Central America, er, TACA, instead.
TA IAH-GUA-SAL connecting to SAL-ADZ?
37. Ah, it wasn't TACA and a stop wasn't made at Guatemala City. Plus the first flight made two stops en route to the connecting city....which wasn't El Salvador.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jlemon
29. Air Atlanta operating a B727-100 is correct.....however, the stop was not made in Atlanta. And we await the tap in.....
So, if it wasn't ATL then it was JFK so the trip was PHL-JFK-LWB
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
37. Ah, it wasn't TACA and a stop wasn't made at Guatemala City. Plus the first flight made two stops en route to the connecting city....which wasn't El Salvador.
Stay at home, stay alive!
Maybe SAHSA was the airline in question. ADZ seems a really strange destination for that airline unless it was mainly there for a fuel stop on the way to the Colombian mainland.
Flight 1) IAH-MID-SAP-TGU
Flight 2) TGU-ADZ
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
21- I guess the only other possibility for the connection would have been for the inbound flight to arrive at San Juan International (SJU) and the AD Goose to depart from a San Juan seaplane terminal

the only other carriers with a fair amount of SJU service would have been Pan Am (who didn't yet have domestic feed) and Eastern; I know EA had nonstop service from Chicago/ORD (I flew that on a TriStar in Dec 79), but that's a ridiculous backtrack ... Atlanta and Miami are both too obvious, so let's try a 727-225 via Pittsburgh/PIT
21. Correct! Here are the scheds....

EA 987: Cleveland (CLE) 9:25a - 10:02a Pittsburgh (PIT) 10:40a - 3:15p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Saturdays and Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch PIT-SJU
Equip: B727-200

Connecting via ground transport in San Juan to....

AD 833: San Juan Seaplane Base (PR34) 4:45p - 5:25p St. Thomas Seaplane Base (SPB) a.k.a. Charlotte Amalie Harbor Seaplane Base
Freq: Daily
Service class: A
Equip: Grumman Goose

Antilles Air Boats operated a number of different seaplane types besides the Grumman Goose including the Grumman Albatross, Grumman Mallard, Sikorsky VS-44 and also this beautiful old girl.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Anti...S7O%2BxsJMvs%2

BONUS QUESTION: Antilles Air Boats also operated a scheduled passenger fixed wing operation at one point in the Caribbean on behalf of another airline. What was the name of this airline service and what type of aircraft was operated? Hint: the service was operated on behalf of a major air carrier

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 13, 2020 at 3:35 pm Reason: added bonus question
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
So, if it wasn't ATL then it was JFK so the trip was PHL-JFK-LWB
29. Yep! Here's the sched....

CC 971: Philadelphia (PHL) 9:15a - 10:00a New York Kennedy (JFK) 10:30a - 11:50a Greenbrier (LWB)
Freq: Daily except Sat. PHL-JFK, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only JFK-LWB
Service classes: F/Y (see note below)
Meal service: Snack JFK-LWB
Equip: B727-100
Note: I believe Air Atlanta had reconfigured their aircraft by this time with two cabins, first with a 2-2 seat config and coach with a 2-3 seat config. Air Atlanta initially had an all first class seating configuration on their 727 aircraft but stated they charged coach fares.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Stay at home, stay alive!
Maybe SAHSA was the airline in question. ADZ seems a really strange destination for that airline unless it was mainly there for a fuel stop on the way to the Colombian mainland.
Flight 1) IAH-MID-SAP-TGU
Flight 2) TGU-ADZ
37. All correct here, Herb (although the airline was actually operating as TAN SAHSA at this time but your guess is close enough), except for the first stop as it wasn't Merida. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2020 at 2:26 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
28. Now it's 1986 and you are in Palm Springs. There's a meeting you need to attend in Chicago....but you also need to have a meeting first in Los Angeles where you will pick up some documents which you will then hand carry to Chicago. Surprisingly, you've found one airline that can get you from PSP to ORD via a connection at LAX. Your first flight will be nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with the same aircraft type being operated on both flights. You will also have a comfortable connecting time of just over two hours and 20 minutes at LAX which will facilitate your meeting at the airport as well as the document pickup. Name the air carrier, the stop made by the second flight and the equipment.
28- I would be surprised to find any mainline PSP-LAX service besides Western, and I would not be at all surprised to find that WA also operated LAX-ORD via their Salt Lake CIty (SLC) hub

in 1986 these flights would have most likely been on WA's workhorse 727-200s, but in keeping with the longstanding tendency of our Quiz gurus to pose questions regarding less common models, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if the answer here is actually the 737-300
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA

Antilles Air Boats operated a number of different seaplane types besides the Grumman Goose including the Grumman Albatross, Grumman Mallard, Sikorsky VS-44 and also this beautiful old girl.....
https://www.airliners.net/photo/Anti...S7O%2BxsJMvs%2
The Beautiful Old Girl ran occasionally in the UK 1981-93, but finally returned to the US and is the one now at Kermit Weeks in Florida. Here she is today

It was around 1993 when it was getting ready to return, it did a final flight over the old Shorts flying boat factory in Rochester UK, and looped around the River Thames and London City airport, one Saturday afternoon - including coming right overhead my house, quite unexpectedly, at 1,000 feet. Sudden 4 x R-2800 sound. Wow !
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 8, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA
25. Air Alsace operating VFW-614 service on behalf of Air France is correct!

I believe only nineteen VFW-614 aircraft were built. A survivor is on permanent display on the rooftop terrace at the Bremen Airport (BRE)....

I've also seen the aircraft referred to as the VFW-Fokker 614 and am wondering what role Fokker played concerning production of this early regional jet.....
The number of VFW-614 "built" depends on whether you count those which flew at the factory but were never used, and/or those completed but never flew, and/or those where construction was abandoned part way through.

I reckon in actual airline service it was 10; 5 to Cimber Air, Denmark, 3 to Air Alsace, and 2 to Touraine Air Transport, France. All were delivered 1975-77, and were finally withdrawn by 1980. I believe they had been not sold as such but on leases by the hour, it seems VFW asked for them back and scrapped most immediately on return. The West German air force felt obliged to take another three. There are a few at museums in Germany.

Fokker were invited to the programme when the sales failure started to become apparent, but as it was competitive with the smallest F.28 it was always felt that they contributed little or nothing, and so it transpired. The aircraft unfortunately showed the lack of West German aircraft design ability at the time; the prototype crashed a few months into testing (crew bailed out) due to airframe oscillations, and this fundamental design error then seriously limited the maximum cruising speed, whereupon remaining interest was lost. Rolls-Royce, the engine manufacturer, went bankrupt, and although their other products were saved this engine programme wasn't (the lack of this engine sales contributing to RR running out of cash).

The Bremen factory where they were built, much expanded, is now the second Airbus major plant in Germany after the one in Hamburg.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 8, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- I would be surprised to find any mainline PSP-LAX service besides Western, and I would not be at all surprised to find that WA also operated LAX-ORD via their Salt Lake CIty (SLC) hub

in 1986 these flights would have most likely been on WA's workhorse 727-200s, but in keeping with the longstanding tendency of our Quiz gurus to pose questions regarding less common models, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if the answer here is actually the 737-300

28. Nope, it wasn't Western, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 or B737-300 and the stop made by the second flight wasn't Salt Lake City.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- I'll stick with a red-and-white theme: TWA, with a 727-100 and the second flight stopping at Kansas City/MCI
Old Jul 8, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- I'll stick with a red-and-white theme: TWA, with a 727-100 and the second flight stopping at Kansas City/MCI
28. Nope, it wasn't TWA, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100 and the second flight did not stop at Kansas City.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
The Beautiful Old Girl ran occasionally in the UK 1981-93, but finally returned to the US and is the one now at Kermit Weeks in Florida....
It appears that Antilles Air Boats also had another Beautiful Old Girl with this one visiting Ireland in the late 1970's before flying on to the UK.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Anti...%BxsJMvs%2BPlr
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28- one last red-and-white guess: Frontier, MD-80, second flight stopping in Denver

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.