Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 13, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline. It wasn't PSA, AirCal or American
Could this have been Delta? The timing would have been around the DL/WA merger and I know DL briefly tried to take on UA (and others) in the SFO-LAX market in the late 80s or early 90s so it's not a stretch to think they might have also tried SJC. From TV ads in the Bay Area I remember DL touting "person to person service" and using mooing cattle so that would indicate their brief attempt at Bay to Basin shuttle style service was targeting WN's cattle call more than UA.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:13 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

38. In 1992, this airline featured a business class section on a number of its Boeing 737-200 aircraft with a total of 30 business class seats in 2-2 configuration with ample legroom. Other B737-200 aircraft in its fleet were configured with all-economy cabins with 105 or 120 seats at this time. Name the air carrier.
Let me try with Canadi>n Airlines

I recall they had a fairly extensive network in the Canadian Arctic and even today airlines operating there (like First Air) have Coach-only aircraft. But they were also serving the YVR-YYZ-YEG triangle, where demand for 30 C-seats could exist (oil and gas industry, after all). Ohh - and they were B737-200 operator...

Last edited by TPJ; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:25 pm Reason: gramar
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: BA
27. It's 1985 and you are in Montreal. You've been invited to conduct a business presentation in San Diego and have found a daily direct flight from YUL to SAN which makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
It wasn't Delta, Republic, Eastern, USAir or Air Canada and stops were not made at LGA, DFW, DTW, PHX, BOS, MCI, PHL, PIT, YOW or YYZ. Aircraft was a B727-200
Is American the only one we have left ? Stops at Chicago and LAX.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Could this have been Delta? The timing would have been around the DL/WA merger and I know DL briefly tried to take on UA (and others) in the SFO-LAX market in the late 80s or early 90s so it's not a stretch to think they might have also tried SJC. From TV ads in the Bay Area I remember DL touting "person to person service" and using mooing cattle so that would indicate their brief attempt at Bay to Basin shuttle style service was targeting WN's cattle call more than UA.
32. Great guess! And I remember Delta's "Person to Person Service" flying in first round trip on board B767-300 aircraft nonstop between Los Angeles and Newark. These flights were part of a business trip to Burlington, Vermont which included a flight in first on board a Continental DC9-30 from EWR to BTV followed by a Continental Express ATR-42 flight from BTV back to EWR on the way home. I started and ended my trip at good old SBP.

However, it wasn't Delta so please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ
Let me try with Canadi>n Airlines

I recall they had a fairly extensive network in the Canadian Arctic and even today airlines operating there (like First Air) have Coach-only aircraft. But they were also serving the YVR-YYZ-YEG triangle, where demand for 30 C-seats could exist (oil and gas industry, after all). Ohh - and they were B737-200 operator...
38. Correct! Here are the seating charts for all three versions of the B737-200 operated by Canadi>n during the fall of 1992....

CP73S1092

CP was also operating A320 and B767-300 aircraft with expanded business class sections at this time...

CP3201092

CP7631092

And, of course, CP was operating two different versions of the DC-10-30 along with the B747-400 as well at this same time....

CPD101092

CP7441092

I only had the opportunity to fly with CP once and that was from the downtown municipal airport in Edmonton (YXD) to Calgary (YYC) on board a B737-200.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Is American the only one we have left ? Stops at Chicago and LAX.
27. American is correct and the first stop was indeed Chicago O'Hare.....however, the second stop wasn't Los Angeles (or Dallas/Fort Worth) so please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 14, 2020 at 10:50 am Reason: second stop wasn't DFW, either....
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
32. Great guess! And I remember Delta's "Person to Person Service" flying in first round trip on board B767-300 aircraft nonstop between Los Angeles and Newark. These flights were part of a business trip to Burlington, Vermont which included a flight in first on board a Continental DC9-30 from EWR to BTV followed by a Continental Express ATR-42 flight from BTV back to EWR on the way home. I started and ended my trip at good old SBP.

However, it wasn't Delta so please guess again, sir!
Since it wasn't OC or successor AA, how about post-merger US as the successor to PSA?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Since it wasn't OC or successor AA, how about post-merger US as the successor to PSA?
32. Yet another great guess....but it wasn't USAir. Please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:57 am

27. American is correct and the first stop was indeed Chicago O'Hare.....however, the second stop wasn't Los Angeles (or Dallas/Fort Worth) so please guess again, sir!
Is it going to be another southern California secondary point, with a final tag ? Ontario ? Palm Springs ? let's go for ... Palm Springs.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it going to be another southern California secondary point, with a final tag ? Ontario ? Palm Springs ? let's go for ... Palm Springs.
27. Well, no....I don't think the stop can be classified as a secondary point per se, but the airport we are looking for is located in California and it wasn't Ontario, either.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:30 pm

27. Well, no....I don't think the stop can be classified as a secondary point per se, but the airport we are looking for is located in California and it wasn't Ontario, either.
We'll get there ...

San Jose ?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We'll get there ...

San Jose ?
27. Yes indeed, and you've now arrived. However, now that I've thought about it, San Jose may well have been considered a secondary point by American at this time as the airline was only operating nonstop service into SJC from Dallas/Fort Worth (as well as one tag flight from Oakland) in addition to nonstop flights from Chicago O'Hare and San Diego. AirCal was still around in 1985, of course, and American obviously did not have a hub operation in place yet at San Jose. But AA was the only airline operating wide body service into SJC at this time with that airplane being the DC-10. Thus my caveat! Here's the sched....

AA 523: Montreal Dorval (YUL) 1:06p - 2:12p Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 3:01p - 5:21p San Jose (SJC) 5:51p - 6:58p San Diego (SAN)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch YUL-ORD, Dinner ORD-SJC
Equip: B727-200
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
in the normal world, Mrs767 and I would have been settling into our F seats on BA57, a 747-436 about to depart LHR-JNB (last night's BA276 LAS-LHR having been upstairs in J)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My internet connection is officially terrible! And I'm back home in East Ester! Late night is about the only time I can get a decent signal for the time being. That said, does anybody recognize these lockdown era airport codes?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
in some cases BMT and OFC might be co-terminals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.