Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My internet connection is officially terrible! And I'm back home in East Ester! Late night is about the only time I can get a decent signal for the time being. That said, does anybody recognize these lockdown era airport codes?
And for those serious concerning sequestering....

BKR - Bunker

Plus, let's not forget a new equipment code as well....

LMR - Lawn Mower
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
other outdoor destination codes might be RFT = rooftop; DCK = deck; SPL = swimming pool
indoors we might have GAR = garage and STU = study (both of which could also be co-terminals for OFC)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA
SWS = School Work Supervision
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by WHBM
SWS = School Work Supervision
given what seems to be our prevalent demographics, that has to be a leading contender for "Destinations that no other Quiz participant has visited" (at least, in my case, for the past 10+ years)
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My internet connection is officially terrible! And I'm back home in East Ester! Late night is about the only time I can get a decent signal for the time being. That said, does anybody recognize these lockdown era airport codes?
Trying to turn that into a fun game, I was wondering if any of those are actual airport codes. The only one I recognize is a former airport code that changed. Baltimore used to be BAL before the same airfield was redesignated BWI. I think the VOR on that field is still BAL.

None of the others jump out at as recognizable. And work sometimes takes me to fairly small airports without airline service.

Originally Posted by jlemon
32. Yet another great guess....but it wasn't USAir. Please guess again, sir!
I know there have been some short-lived airlines in California that we've covered here. But let's rule out the last, obvious guess before someone else finds something really obscure. Southwest?

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 15, 2020 at 9:51 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 16, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Herb687
Trying to turn that into a fun game, I was wondering if any of those are actual airport codes. The only one I recognize is a former airport code that changed. Baltimore used to be BAL before the same airfield was redesignated BWI. I think the VOR on that field is still BAL.

None of the others jump out at as recognizable. And work sometimes takes me to fairly small airports without airline service.
You could always look the code up using the link at the bottom of this page "Airport Lookup"

Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline. It wasn't PSA, AirCal, American, Delta or USAir.
32- we left our Edwards AFB assignment and returned home to Seattle in July 1987 ... I seem to remember booking Mrs767 a flight home from LAX a few months earlier (perhaps for her mom's birthday) on CO's airline-within-an-airline, which they marketed as "Continental West"; it wouldn't surprise me if a SJC<-->LAX "shuttle" was an evolution of that (I also seem to remember that her flight was on a 737-300, but it also wouldn't surprise me if some if not most of these shuttle services used a DC-9-30)
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687

32. I know there have been some short-lived airlines in California that we've covered here. But let's rule out the last, obvious guess before someone else finds something really obscure. Southwest?
32. That's actually a great guess as Southwest really took advantage of market conditions in California following the disappearance of PSA, AirCal and other carriers that were operating service between southern and northern California. And back when Southwest was a new intrastate air carrier in Texas, I believe managers from WN visited Pacific Southwest's headquarters in San Diego in order to learn more about PSA's operations.

However, it wasn't Southwest so please guess again sir!
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
32- we left our Edwards AFB assignment and returned home to Seattle in July 1987 ... I seem to remember booking Mrs767 a flight home from LAX a few months earlier (perhaps for her mom's birthday) on CO's airline-within-an-airline, which they marketed as "Continental West"; it wouldn't surprise me if a SJC<-->LAX "shuttle" was an evolution of that (I also seem to remember that her flight was on a 737-300, but it also wouldn't surprise me if some if not most of these shuttle services used a DC-9-30)
32. Well, it wasn't Continental West.....but it was Continental.

Here's the print ad concerning the "Continental Shuttle" from SJC to LAX as well as CO service from SJC to EWR and IAH.......

COveryfewplaces87
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

34. It's 1989. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. Continental operating a B737-___. The first stop was LAX and the second stop was made in Central America but not at TGU.
Last call for the above! And should there be no takers, I shall then provide the answer this evening.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 16, 2020 at 11:52 am Reason: answer update
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BONUS QUESTION: Antilles Air Boats also operated a scheduled passenger fixed wing operation at one point in the Caribbean on behalf of another airline. What was the name of this airline service and what type of aircraft was operated? Hint: the service was operated on behalf of a major air carrier
And last call for our bonus question! Should no one respond, I shall provide the answer this evening as well.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus two more codes du jour.....

DBP - Dead Bird Patrol

DRP - Dead Rodent Patrol

Our big ol' tomcat has really been distinguishing himself lately......
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: BA
4. It's 1989. You're in San Francisco and have a meeting to attend in Guatemala City. Ah, here's a daily flight from SFO to GUA which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class, of course. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Pan Am operating an A300 nor was the aircraft in question a wide body. The first stop was LAX and the second stop was made in Central America. The air carrier in question was based in the U.S. Last call for the above! And should there be no takers, I shall then provide the answer this evening.
Didn't Continental do Guatemala then ? I would have thought from Houston, but maybe from LAX as well. Second stop either in Mexico (can't quite see it) or another banana republic. What about a triangle flight, Tegucigalpa, then Guatemala, then back to LAX ? Aircraft ? Maybe a 737.

When did Continental HQ move from LA to Houston ?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Didn't Continental do Guatemala then ? I would have thought from Houston, but maybe from LAX as well. Second stop either in Mexico (can't quite see it) or another banana republic. What about a triangle flight, Tegucigalpa, then Guatemala, then back to LAX ?
34. Continental is correct! However, the stop was not made in Tegucigalpa....and we are still looking for the specific 737 model as well.

I'm also not sure when CO moved its corporate headquarters from Los Angeles to Houston.

We now await the tap in.....
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting newsfeed story

a man in Britain (where else?) has converted a VC-10 nacelle into a four-bed camping trailer

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.