Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for the link to that Legend service brochure, JL! I cannot imagine a finer DC-9-30 to fly upon - except perhaps Hugh Heffner's Bunny 9.

As for me, I am helping out for a bit with start-up activities down in the park. For internet I have to drive 12 miles up the road to Healy. As such, my participation will be somewhat limited until I return to my normal pandemic existence next week. Great questions, BTW! Let's try a couple...

22. The sailing trip in the late winter of 1976 to Virgin Gorda was absolutely splendid and you're back in St. Thomas.....but now it's time to get back to work. And that means a flight to Boston. Fortunately, there's a daily direct flight from STT to BOS which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

This sounds like AA or EA (Well D'uh!) I guess I'll start with AA routing STT-STX-JFK-BOS with a 727-100

26. You're in Paris in 1980 and need to travel to Boston on a Thursday. You've found a flight which makes one stop that fits your schedule. Name the airport you will depart from in Paris, the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Boston to Europe post-deregulation on any but the mainline long established routes and I think Northwest. Then again, Braniff was also spreading its wings to some new European destinations with its growing fleet of big orange 747s. The only problem is I have no idea where BN would have stopped along the way. Let's try BN ORY-LGW-BOS with the 747.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 10, 2020 at 12:03 am
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
that is a hideous photoshop job ... mainly because it’s a 747-400F (winglets, standard upper deck with two windows, and no main deck windows)
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline. It wasn't PSA.....

I'm going to guess it was either AirCal or American (immediately after its acquisition of AirCal
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks for the link to that Legend service brochure, JL! I cannot imagine a finer DC-9-30 to fly upon - except perhaps Hugh Heffner's Bunny 9.

As for me, I am helping out for a bit with start-up activities down in the park. For internet I have to drive 12 miles up the road to Healy. As such, my participation will be somewhat limited until I return to my normal pandemic existence next week. Great questions, BTW! Let's try a couple...

22. The sailing trip in the late winter of 1976 to Virgin Gorda was absolutely splendid and you're back in St. Thomas.....but now it's time to get back to work. And that means a flight to Boston. Fortunately, there's a daily direct flight from STT to BOS which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

This sounds like AA or EA (Well D'uh!) I guess I'll start with AA routing STT-STX-JFK-BOS with a 727-100

26. You're in Paris in 1980 and need to travel to Boston on a Thursday. You've found a flight which makes one stop that fits your schedule. Name the airport you will depart from in Paris, the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Boston to Europe post-deregulation on any but the mainline long established routes and I think Northwest. Then again, Braniff was also spreading its wings to some new European destinations with its growing fleet of big orange 747s. The only problem is I have no idea where BN would have stopped along the way. Let's try BN ORY-LGW-BOS with the 747.
Well, you're off to a great start here....

22. American operating a B727-100 is correct and St. Croix was indeed the first stop.....but this flight did not stop at New York Kennedy.

26. Braniff International operating a B747 is correct and the flight indeed departed from Paris Orly.....but this flight did not stop at London Gatwick.

Please guess again, sir......when you're back in internet range.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by OskiBear
32. This air carrier announced it would begin a daily shuttle operation in the fall of 1987 flown with mainline jet equipment from San Jose (SJC) to Los Angeles (LAX) with flights operating every hour on the hour from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm. Name the airline. It wasn't PSA.....

I'm going to guess it was either AirCal or American (immediately after its acquisition of AirCal)
32. A very logical guess.....but nope, it wasn't AirCal or American.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jlemon
43. You are in Los Angeles in 1997 and need to attend a meeting in New York City. The location of the meeting is very close to LaGuardia Airport so it would be great if you could fly directly into LGA. You've found a flight which indeed arrives into LaGuardia. The service operates on weekdays and makes two stops en route with breakfast and lunch being served. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
43- let's try Western Pacific, with a 737-300 stopping in Colorado Springs (COS) and Denver (DEN) ... and if I had to guess, the reason this was weekday-only on an end-to-end basis was that LAX-COS didn't run on Sunday and COS-DEN-LGA didn't run on Saturday
45. Now it's 2001 and you once again need to travel from Los Angeles to New York City for a meeting near LaGuardia Airport. You've found a direct one stop flight from LAX to LGA which makes one stop en route and operates daily except on Saturdays with lunch and dinner being served. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
45- along a similar line of thinking, I'll offer Vanguard via Kansas City (MCI) aboard a 737-300 that put down at Kansas City (MCI)

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 10, 2020 at 9:51 am
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
43- let's try Western Pacific, with a 737-300 stopping in Colorado Springs (COS) and Denver (DEN) ... and if I had to guess, the reason this was weekday-only on an end-to-end basis was that LAX-COS didn't run on Sunday and COS-DEN-LGA didn't run on Saturday

45- along a similar line of thinking, I'll offer Vanguard via Kansas City (MCI) aboard a 737-300 that put down at Kansas City (MCI)
43. Nope, it wasn't Western Pacific, the aircraft wasn't a B737-30 and stops were not made at Colorado Springs or Denver.

45. Nope, it wasn't Vanguard, the aircraft wasn't a B737-300 and the stop wasn't made at Kansas City.

So here's a hint for both of the above. The equipment was a twin engine jet in both cases but from different manufacturers.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
37. All correct here, Herb (although the airline was actually operating as TAN SAHSA at this time but your guess is close enough), except for the first stop as it wasn't Merida. Please guess again, sir!
Maybe the first flight made its first stop at one great island destination (Roatan) on my hypothetical trip to another great island destination (San Andres).

Thinking more about why TAN SAHSA was going to ADZ at all I recall hearing that in its heyday ADZ was a major duty-free shopping paradise. Apparently wealthy Colombians would fly to ADZ as shopping trips, not just for a beach vacation. Could it be that well-off Hondurans also found it cheaper to fly to San Andres to buy booze and electronics than to buy locally?

It seems strange that a small somewhat isolated island with limited connectivity to the outside world would be so well-stocked with duty free articles to buy...

The only bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label I've ever purchased was bought on San Andres. I quickly realized that:
A) Scotch is the wrong drink for a hot, humid island paradise
B) JW Blue is not that great in any climate. JW Gold Label (the old formulation: "The Centenary Blend") was, for my taste, a FAR more enjoyable blended whisky even if price was not taken into account...
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43- 1997, LAX-XXX-YYY-LGA, not WP, not a 733 ... I think Continental may have pulled down their Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO) hublet by this time, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to imagine one of their MD-80s operating LAX-LGA via Houston/IAH and GSO

45- 2001, LAX-XXX-LGA, not Vanguard, not a 733 ... let's try Midway v2, running a 737-700 via their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Maybe the first flight made its first stop at one great island destination (Roatan) on my hypothetical trip to another great island destination (San Andres).

Thinking more about why TAN SAHSA was going to ADZ at all I recall hearing that in its heyday ADZ was a major duty-free shopping paradise. Apparently wealthy Colombians would fly to ADZ as shopping trips, not just for a beach vacation. Could it be that well-off Hondurans also found it cheaper to fly to San Andres to buy booze and electronics than to buy locally?

It seems strange that a small somewhat isolated island with limited connectivity to the outside world would be so well-stocked with duty free articles to buy...

The only bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label I've ever purchased was bought on San Andres. I quickly realized that:
B) JW Blue is not that great in any climate. JW Gold Label (the old formulation: "The Centenary Blend") was, for my taste, a FAR more enjoyable blended whisky even if price was not taken into account...
37. Yep, the first stop made by the first flight was indeed another Caribbean island: Roatan. Here are the TAN SAHSA schedules....

SH 517: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 1:40p - 3:00p Roatan (RTB) 3:20p - 3:40p San Pedro Sula (SAP) 4:00p - 4:30p Tegucigalpa (TGU)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Maybe....
Equip: B737-200

Connecting to.....

SH 511: Tegucigalpa (TGU) 5:30p - 7:30p San Andres (ADZ) 7:50p - 8:40p Panama City (PTY)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Probably....
Equip: B737-200

BTW, I enjoyed sipping complimentary Johnnie Walker Blue while flying in BA First on board an A380 from Heathrow to Dulles awhile back....and I was feeling no pain as I waltzed through customs at IAD with Lady K there to steady yours truly.....
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43- 1997, LAX-XXX-YYY-LGA, not WP, not a 733 ... I think Continental may have pulled down their Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO) hublet by this time, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to imagine one of their MD-80s operating LAX-LGA via Houston/IAH and GSO

45- 2001, LAX-XXX-LGA, not Vanguard, not a 733 ... let's try Midway v2, running a 737-700 via their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub
43. & 45. Nope on all counts.....
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

43- LAX-XXX-YYY-LGA ... let's go back to the short-second-segment approach: a Midwest Express MD-80, operating via Omaha/OMA and Milwaukee/MKE

45- LAX-XXX-LGA ... a Delta 757 via Orlando isn't unrealistic, but the meal services being lunch and dinner more likely point to a stop in the middle of the country ... given the recent discussion of Legend and American, I'm inclined to suspect that this was a 56-seat AA Fokker 100 with the stop at Love Field (DAL)
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

I figure it was 50-50 on EA or AA, so glad I got that one right! If however the flight didn't stop at JFK... that's a little trickier. I don't recall AA serving its Caribbean destinations from secondary gateway cities such as BDL or DTW as Eastern did. Indeed, now that I think of it, this Virgin Island route probably was acquired via the merger with Trans Caribbean. Being pre-deregulation, let's go with that other TC gateway city - Washington Dulles (IAD)

Of all the places I have been fortunate to have traveled to, Europe is way down the list. Because of that I had to pull out my atlas in order to get a better picture of Europe. Geographically Brussels or Amsterdam look the best - maybe Frankfurt after that. I don't feel as good about Brussels as I do Amsterdam, so let's go with AMS
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

that is a hideous photoshop job ... mainly because it’s a 747-400F (winglets, standard upper deck with two windows, and no main deck windows)
True, I've seen better photoshop work-ups. Unfortunately, very little attention has been given to seeing how Braniff's 747 would look in some of BN's other colorful liveries. Given the beauty of the two-tone livery set in particular, I always wanted to see how a Braniff 747 would look in the red, blue or green livery. Alas, although I have spent many hours searching out these fantasy liveries, the one I posted is the only one I could find in the 2-tone blue. Yes, BN never operated a 747-400 but at least the blue livery was finally depicted on a 747. I have thousands of these fantasy livery creations and close to one hundred of Braniff's. Here's a nicer photoshop of a Braniff 747-400 - albeit in orange...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 10, 2020 at 2:25 pm
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Herb687
You realise that Scotland and Hot Humid Island Paradises are not often found together in the same sentence ...

The only Blue Label I ever sampled was even more bizarre. Visiting friends of Mrs WHBM in their apartment in Russia, the two ladies went for non-stop chat in the kitchen, and I was left with the non-English speaking husband. No speech, but he was as hospitable as all Russians, and knew what to do; two shot glasses were produced, followed by, of all things, a litre bottle of Blue Label, previously unopened, which they had bought (I found later) in a duty-free shop in a Greek holiday airport. Well, I will be most interested to sample it. Opened, poured out, glug-glug ... (yes) ... glug-glug ...(goodness) ... glug-glug ... (uh-oh). OK, this will take me a while. Smiles, glasses high, "на здоровье" (Na zdorovie), I smell it daintily, he goes WHAM ! . Gone. Refilled. I haven't even started.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.