Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
37. It's still 1991 and you are in Houston. You've been invited on a sailing excursion with good friends who currently have their sailboat moored at a marina located on San Andres Island in the Caribbean. One airline can get you there via a connecting service. You'll depart from IAH on a Saturday to your connecting airport on a flight which will make two stops en route. You'll then have one hour to connect to a nonstop flight to San Andres Island. The same aircraft type will be operated on both flights. Identify the air carrier, the two stops made by the first flight, the connecting city and the equipment.
When I went to San Andres (and, even better, Providencia) it was more recently than 1991. At the time, the only international scheduled service was Copa from PTY. All the other scheduled flights to ADZ were from the Colombian mainland (plus of course the Let L-410 "TurboLet" hop over from PVA). Given that Avianca did not serve IAH and SAM or AeroRepublica didn't serve the US at all I'm going to guess this routing did not backtrack over the Colombian mainland.

How about Copa (CM) operating IAH-BZE-MGA-PTY connecting to PTY-ADZ with both flights on a 737?

Originally Posted by jlemon
31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft. [in 1987]
UA occasionally served LGB and I remember it being an early station for the 767. I'm going to guess a UA 767 routing LGB-DEN-ORD.

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 7, 2020 at 5:10 pm Reason: 2nd guess
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
BONUS QUESTION: What airline was serving Jujuy (JUJ) with the BAC One-Eleven at this time?

There weren't too many BAC -111 operators operating in this region. Trans-Brasil and Argentinean carrier Austral come to mind. I flew the latter in 2007 from Ushuaia to the Jorge Newbery Aeroparque but alas, the equipment was an MD-80. Had I flown that route back in 1980, it very well might have been operated with the One-Eleven. Same goes for service to Jujuy, which was not served by Trans-Brasil's eminently more colorful One-Elevens.
BONUS: Austral Lineas Aereas is correct! Austral was operating one daily jet flight from AEP in Buenos Aires nonstop to Jujuy at this time in 1993. Six days a week the service was operated with a DC9-30....but on Sundays the flight was operated with a BAC One-Eleven. Here's the sched....

AU 934: Buenos Aires (AEP) 9:10a - 11:15a Jujuy (JUJ)
Service class: Y
Equip: BAC One-Eleven

I believe Austral operated both the standard BAC One-Eleven as well as the stretched Super One-Eleven 500; however, the OAG only lists "B11" as the equipment operated on the above flight.

The only other air carrier operating jet service into Jujuy at this time was Aerolineas Argentinas with six flights a week from AEP operated with MD-80 equipment. Three days a week the service was nonstop while on the other three days an intermediate stop was made at nearby Salta (SLA). Jujuy did not have any international service at this time.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
24- this could be almost any airline ... let's start the conversation with Northwest, operating a 727-200 via Minneapolis (MSP)

27- again going with a less-likely option here: Delta via LaGuardia/LGA and Dallas/DFW, also on a 727-200
24. It wasn't Northwest, the stop wasn't made at Minneapolis/St. Paul and the equipment wasn't a B727-200.

27. The aircraft was indeed a B727-200....however, it wasn't Delta and stops were not made a New York LaGuardia or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

I'll guess LGB-ONT-ORD on Jet America MD-82
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
When I went to San Andres (and, even better, Providencia) it was more recently than 1991. At the time, the only international scheduled service was Copa from PTY. All the other scheduled flights to ADZ were from the Colombian mainland (plus of course the Let L-410 "TurboLet" hop over from PVA). Given that Avianca did not serve IAH and SAM or AeroRepublica didn't serve the US at all I'm going to guess this routing did not backtrack over the Colombian mainland.

How about Copa (CM) operating IAH-BZE-MGA-PTY connecting to PTY-ADZ with both flights on a 737?

UA occasionally served LGB and I remember it being an early station for the 767. I'm going to guess a UA 767 routing LGB-DEN-ORD.
31. It wasn't United, the aircraft in question was smaller than a B767-200 and the stop was not made at Denver.

37. I'll assume you are referring to the B737-200 as the specific model.....and that's the equipment we are looking for here.

However, it wasn't Copa, the first flight did not stop at Belize or Managua and the connection wasn't made at Panama City.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24- 1979, DEN-XXX-DCA ... sticking with the smaller candidates, I'll offer Piedmont running a 737-200 via Dayton/DAY
27- 1985, 72S, YUL-XXX-YYY-SAN ... not necessarily smaller, but likely not high on the "first-comes-to-mind" list, might be Republic via Detroit/DTW and Phoenix/PHX

Originally Posted by Herb687
I flew DEN-LGB on a United 767 in Jan 1984, which was indeed fairly "early" as they had only introduced the type in June 1982 ... I don't recall that the LGB service lasted more than a few months
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
31. Time to head back to Chicago on business. You are in Long Beach and need to depart in the late afternoon to Chicago O'Hare. There's a direct one stop flight from LGB that will arrive into ORD just after 11:00 pm and dinner will be served en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

I'll guess LGB-ONT-ORD on Jet America MD-82
31. An excellent guess as Jet America was based in the Long Beach area.

However, it wasn't Jet America, the stop wasn't made at Ontario and the equipment wasn't an MD-82 or any other MD-80 model.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 7, 2020 at 5:25 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24- 1979, DEN-XXX-DCA ... sticking with the smaller candidates, I'll offer Piedmont running a 737-200 via Dayton/DAY

27- 1985, 72S, YUL-XXX-YYY-SAN ... not necessarily smaller, but likely not high on the "first-comes-to-mind" list, might be Republic via Detroit/DTW and Phoenix/PHX

I flew DEN-LGB on a United 767 in Jan 1984, which was indeed fairly "early" as they had only introduced the type in June 1982 ... I don't recall that the LGB service lasted more than a few months
24. Piedmont - Yep! B737-200 - Nope! Stop in Dayton - Nope! And we await the tap in......

27. It wasn't Republic and stops were not made at Detroit or Phoenix.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:24 pm

I think I've mentioned before that I find this thread fascinating. But, back a few posts, I noticed the link to the airline timetable images site. That site itself is interesting; so many airlines! Thanks for keeping me entertained!
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
24- 1979, DEN-XXX-DCA, PI, not a 737 via DAY ... gotta be Charlotte/CLT and the nearly ubiquitous 727-200
27- 1985, 72S, YUL-XXX-YYY-SAN (not DL via LGA/DFW, not RC via DTW/PHX) ... how about Eastern, stopping at Boston/BOS and Kansas City/MCI
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24- 1979, DEN-XXX-DCA, PI, not a 737 via DAY ... gotta be Charlotte/CLT and the nearly ubiquitous 727-200

27- 1985, 72S, YUL-XXX-YYY-SAN (not DL via LGA/DFW, not RC via DTW/PHX) ... how about Eastern, stopping at Boston/BOS and Kansas City/MCI
24. Nope, the stop wasn't made at Charlotte and the equipment wasn't a B727-200.

27. It wasn't Eastern and stops were not made at Boston or Kansas City.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
I think I've mentioned before that I find this thread fascinating. But, back a few posts, I noticed the link to the airline timetable images site. That site itself is interesting; so many airlines! Thanks for keeping me entertained!
You're most welcome and thanks for the compliment!
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
36. In 1991, this airline ran a print ad with this heading: "We're expanding California's Intrastate." The air carrier in question was expanding its service in the state between two airports in southern California and three airports in northern California. Name the air carrier and all five airports.

This one I remember as America West - LGB & SNA in Southern California and SFO / SJC / SMF in Northern California. Those SNA departures to the Bay Area were handy back in those days when I started working in the OC after college.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

24- well, I didn't think PI still ran 727-100s in 1979, so you got me on that one

as for the stop, I'm REALLY drawing a blank other than DAY or CLT ... it was a big deal when PI brought jets into Roanoke/ROA and Tri-Cities (Bristol-Kingsport-Johnson City)/TRI from ORD, but I sure don't remember any more extensive service from either of those points; looking closer to DAY, it's not unreasonable to speculate they might have explored the market at Columbus/CMH or Indianapolis/IND or even Louisville/SDF ... I think the first two were USAir strongholds, so let's say SDF

27- last guess for this evening ... USAir, Philadelphia/PHL and Pittsburgh/PIT
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
36. In 1991, this airline ran a print ad with this heading: "We're expanding California's Intrastate." The air carrier in question was expanding its service in the state between two airports in southern California and three airports in northern California. Name the air carrier and all five airports.

This one I remember as America West - LGB & SNA in Southern California and SFO / SJC / SMF in Northern California. Those SNA departures to the Bay Area were handy back in those days when I started working in the OC after college.
36. Correct! Here's the America West print ad......

http://www.departedflights.com/HPcal...ntrastate.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.