FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:56 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Finally - a halfway decent internet connection! Unfortunately, there is at present no definitive answer or solution as to what is plaguing our community internet system so my ability to get online and thus participate (without driving into town) does not look good for the immediate future. That said, I will do my best and twelve days from now I'll be heading out on a railroad excursion around West Virginia that should see me with improved connectivity.

You are in Nassau on a Saturday where you've just disembarked from a sailboat and are now your way to Salt Lake City for a business meeting. You're pleasantly surprised to find that one airline can get you from NAS to SLC although you will have to make a connection with just over two hours and 10 minutes on the ground at your connecting airport. Your first flight is nonstop and your second flight will make one stop en route with different aircraft types being operated on each flight. Identify the air carrier, the connecting airport, the stop made by the second flight and the different equipment operated on each flight. The airline was Pan Am and the connection was made at JFK. The equipment on the first flight wasn't a 747. The equipment on the second flight was a B727-200. The stop made by the second flight wasn't DTW or ORD. And a couple of hints can be found in post # 20384.

Apparently the cognoscenti here are either unaware of or don't remember Garrison Keillor's tales of life in the fictitious town of Lake Wobegon, Minnesota as told on PBS on Saturday afternoons. In any event, let's go with Pan Am operating a GE CF-6 powered A300 on the Nassau to JFK portion and a 727-200 on the New York (JFK) to Salt Lake portion with an intermediate stop in Minneapolis. Pan Am had some interesting and historically very non-Pan Am like routings in the late 1980s. My only flight aboard an L-1011-500 came between JFK and DTW with Pan Am and some of these routings have provided me with a number of quiz questions over the years so hopefully my memory serves me well and I'm correct on this one. In 1982 I logged a flight in First Class aboard a Western 727-200 between MSP and SLC on a flight that originated in DCA. We were served a full dinner service with Western's colorful crockery.

24. You are on your way from Moncton (YQM) to Toronto (YYZ) on board the first flight of the day which will make one stop en route. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

Uh... I dunno... let's start the guessing with Canadian Airlines via... Ottawa with a 737-200
22. You are very close concerning the equipment operated on the first flight.....and the stop made by the second flight was indeed MSP. We await the tap in.

24. Well, nope, nope and nope! Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 18, 2020 at 3:01 pm