Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

1. Four American rental car companies have been represented on logojets around the world. Identify each rental car company along with the airline and aircraft type that it’s represented on.
I'll try these:

1 - Avis - Jetstar Boeing 717
2 - Budget - Jetstar Boeing 717
3 - Europcar - Kulula 737-800
4 - Hertz - Ryanair 737-200
Old May 25, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by KT550
1. Four American rental car companies have been represented on logojets around the world. Identify each rental car company along with the airline and aircraft type that it’s represented on.

I'll try these:

1 - Avis - Jetstar Boeing 717 ✓ VH-YQJ
2 - Budget - Jetstar Boeing 717 ✓ VH-YQJ
3 - Europcar - Kulula 737-800 (This airplane exists, however Europcar is not an American company.)
4 - Hertz - Ryanair 737-200 ✓ EI-CJC

You're off to a good start, KT! We're looking for just one more US car rental company logojet...
Old May 25, 2018, 4:25 pm

I was going for the National/Europcar joint branding but it didn't work!

Question 10 seems to have changed but I'll answer the original anyway.

10. What was the first airline to launch Boeing 717 service in Europe?

A = Olympic Aviation of Greece operated three 717s. Deliveries started in Dec 1999.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I was going for the National/Europcar joint branding but it didn't work!

Question 10 seems to have changed but I'll answer the original anyway.

10. What was the first airline to launch Boeing 717 service in Europe?

A = Olympic Aviation of Greece operated three 717s. Deliveries started in Dec 1999.
Question 10 did change - I decided to stick with logojets - that said, Olympic Aviation is spot on!
Old May 25, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
A bit more info concerning Steamboat Springs in the Colorado Rockies....

It was possible to fly commercially directly into Steamboat Springs (SBS) back in the day. Rocky Mountain Airways (JC) initiated service into SBS (which has a 4,300 foot runway and an airfield elevation of 6,882 feet) with DHC-6 Twin Otter flights from Denver. This was back in the mid 1970's when the original Frontier was the only airline serving Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) which is located about 25 miles west of Steamboat Springs (FL was operating Convair 580 service into HDN at the time). Rocky Mountain then introduced DHC-7 Dash 7 service between SBS and DEN and by the mid 1990's was operating up to ten round trip Dash 7 flights a day during ski season on the route on a code sharing basis for Continental back when CO had a hub operation at DEN. By 1997, Maverick Airways was flying Dash 7 SBS-DEN service on behalf of the current version of Frontier but this did not last very long.

Back to TWA.....In 2001, a TWA MD-80 was on approach in snow showers to HDN....or so the pilots thought. The jet touched down uneventfully and all was well. Then it was discovered the flight had actually landed at Craig, CO (CIG) which has a 5,600 foot runway and is located just west of HDN. The MD-80 apparently experienced difficulty negotiating the rather narrow taxiway and ended up getting stuck in the mud. None of the 122 souls on board sustained any injuries.....but they may have gotten a bit muddy getting off the jet.

Last edited by jlemon; May 25, 2018 at 5:43 pm Reason: tuned it up
Old May 25, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
A bit more info concerning Steamboat Springs in the Colorado Rockies....

It was possible to fly commercially directly into Steamboat Springs (SBS) back in the day. Rocky Mountain Airways (JC) initiated service into SBS (which has a 4,300 foot runway and an airfield elevation of 6,882 feet) with DHC-6 Twin Otter flights from Denver. This was back in the mid 1970's when the original Frontier was the only airline serving Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) which is located about 25 miles west of Steamboat Springs (FL was operating Convair 580 service into HDN at the time). Rocky Mountain then introduced DHC-7 Dash 7 service between SBS and DEN and by the mid 1990's was operating up to ten round trip Dash 7 flights a day during ski season on the route on a code sharing basis for Continental back when CO had a hub operation at DEN. By 1997, Maverick Airways was flying Dash 7 SBS-DEN service on behalf of the current version of Frontier but this did not last very long.

Back to TWA.....In 2001, a TWA MD-80 was on approach in snow showers to HDN....or so the pilots thought. The jet touched down uneventfully and all was well. Then it was discovered the flight had actually landed at Craig, CO (CIG) which has a 5,600 foot runway and is located just west of HDN. The MD-80 apparently experienced difficulty negotiating the rather narrow taxiway and ended up getting stuck in the mud. None of the 122 souls on board sustained any injuries.....but they may have gotten a bit muddy getting off the jet.
Thanks for the correction, JL. I should've known better as I've actually flown into Steamboat's far more convenient SBS aboard a Rocky Mountain DHC-7 back in the early 80s. I remember the captain mentioning that it was -43°F upon our arrival. Thankfully the reason for my visit did not involve outdoor activity. I've also driven over to HDN just to check out the airport. It wasn't much back in 1986. Perhaps it's changed over the years now that aircraft as large as 767s are serving HDN on a seasonal basis.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:30 am

2. Two major American soft drinks have been the subject of logojets. Identify each soft drink along with the airline and aircraft type that it’s represented on.

Coca Cola have used various DC-9/MD80s over the years in connection with their FIFA World Cup sponsorship.

Pepsi had the Air France Concorde
Old May 26, 2018, 1:33 am

36. In early 1998, there were five Mexican airlines still operating 727s. Identify those five airlines.
1. Aero Ejecutivo = Aeroexo
2. Allegro
3. Aviacsa
4. Mexicana
5. TAESA
Old May 26, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
23. Which airline was the launch customer for Fokker’s F.28? What airline was actually the first to actually operate the little jet on a revenue passenger flight?
I believe LTU were the first to order this craft but Braathens flew the first commercially. I miss that airline - they were a pleasure to fly with.

27. Beginning with its first Comet 4 flight in 1958, how long did BOAC operate nonstop Comet 4 flights between London and New York?
2 years and 12 days. The inaugural flights took place on 4th October 1958 and the last flights on 16th October 1960.

Last edited by rosensfole; May 26, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: added answer to 23
Old May 26, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

18. You need to fly from Port Au Prince, Haiti to Miami. The two nonstop flights are full but one airline offers a single online connection that thankfully avoids the busy airport at San Juan. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the aircraft type utilized for both flights (It’s the same aircraft type)

41. Back in the good old days, you could fly between New York and Las Vegas aboard widebodied jetliners operated by the likes of TWA, America West and United. Alas, UA no longer serves the route and TW and HP offer only relatively pedestrian 757 flights. One airline still operates a single widebodied flight. You book a seat for this Sunday. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon
18. Let's go with Bahamasair operating BAC One-Eleven equipment on both flights with a connection in Nassau (NAS).

41. I'll guess this was Tower Air operating a Boeing 747.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. Two major American soft drinks have been the subject of logojets. Identify each soft drink along with the airline and aircraft type that it’s represented on.

Coca Cola have used various DC-9/MD80s over the years in connection with their FIFA World Cup sponsorship. Pepsi had the Air France Concorde

You are exactly right, KT. Air France operated a dark blue Concorde (F-BTSD) promoting Pepsi. And, as you mentioned, a variety of aircraft have worn the Coco Cola / FIFA sponsorship livery. Amongst them are:

OY-RUE MD-80 Danish Air Transport
F-GMLU MD-80 Blue Line
ZS-GAJ DC-9-30 Global Aviation
G-POWC 737-300 Titan Airways

36. In early 1998, there were five Mexican airlines still operating 727s. Identify those five airlines.

1. Aero Ejecutivo = Aeroexo
2. Allegro
3. Aviacsa
4. Mexicana
5. TAESA

Over its lifetime Allegro operated 25 different 727s. Additionally, its IATA code LL is amongst the airlines listed in my 1998 pocket OAG. That said, I've checked all the major cities including Allegro's Monterey base and have been unable to find a single flight. Perhaps they operated primarily charters in 1998? In any event, let's add Allegro to the list which means that there were not five but SIX 727 operators south of the border in 1998. Care to have a guess at the other one?

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 26, 2018 at 11:05 am
Old May 26, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
jrl767’s question has languished for a few days now and, in the interest of sparking a bit more overall participation, I thought I’d add a set of my own questions to the mix. Don’t forget however that jrl767’s question is still active and in play, so consider my set an addendum to his.
thanks for the plug
and herewith another hint:
at the time in question (summer 1983), both Model #11 and the later-ubiquitous Model #9 were only in service with one airline

37. Normally your job has you flying the nonstop flight between your home in Colorado Springs and either Chicago or Houston. This time however, business demands you be in San Antonio. Well dang – that’s going to require a connection in either Denver or Houston – neither of which you look forward to. Imagine then your surprise and delight when the company’s travel office informs you that you’ll be flying down to SAT aboard a nonstop flight. Woo-Hoo! Who knew there was nonstop service between COS and SAT? Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
​​​​​​​37- this was right about the time that Western Pacific folded (after the Frontier merger/buyout talks collapsed) ... they had de-hubbed COS, but may not have entirely vanished from the market ... let’s say a 737-300
Old May 26, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rosensfole
23. Which airline was the launch customer for Fokker’s F.28? What airline was actually the first to actually operate the little jet on a revenue passenger flight?

I believe LTU were the first to order this craft but Braathens flew the first commercially. I miss that airline - they were a pleasure to fly with.

Somebody ate their Wheaties this morning. You are spot on, Mr. R. My source for this question was Air Classics #7, a magazine published by England's Key Publishing. The magazine has a nice article about the F.28.

27. Beginning with its first Comet 4 flight in 1958, how long did BOAC operate nonstop Comet 4 flights between London and New York?

2 years and 12 days. The inaugural flights took place on 4th October 1958 and the last flights on 16th October 1960.

Correct. Thankfully the aircraft went on to extended careers with other airlines.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:19 am

I'll try Aerolíneas Internacionales for the 6th Mexican 727 operator.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
18. You need to fly from Port Au Prince, Haiti to Miami. The two nonstop flights are full but one airline offers a single online connection that thankfully avoids the busy airport at San Juan. Identify the airline, the connecting point and the aircraft type utilized for both flights (It’s the same aircraft type)

Let's go with Bahamasair operating BAC One-Eleven equipment on both flights with a connection in Nassau (NAS).

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Bahamasair UP 62 Port Au Prince (PAP) 215p - 345p Nassau (NAS) B11
Bahamasair UP 50 Nassau (NAS) 530p - 615p Miami (MIA) B11
Frequency: Fri Sun

41. Back in the good old days, you could fly between New York and Las Vegas aboard widebodied jetliners operated by the likes of TWA, America West and United. Alas, UA no longer serves the route and TW and HP offer only relatively pedestrian 757 flights. One airline still operates a single widebodied flight. You book a seat for this Sunday. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon

I'll guess this was Tower Air operating a Boeing 747.

Yep! Tower even offered Business Class seating for the high rollers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.