Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
KT, I would take no offense whatsoever if you were to answer this question anytime you're ready and at your leisure, especially given my intermittent internet access. That said, JL has provided a pair of valuable clues that have saved me from flailing about with guesses like an Eastern DC-9. Of course EA did operate the A300 but I don't see that airplane in Providenciales.

So we're looking for an airline operating a foreign built twin jet. Foreign built back in 1985 would most likely have been the BAC-111. If so, I'm going to go with an airline that was part of a 5 part answer to one of my recent questions - that airline being...Atlantic Gulf. Wish me luck!
4. Well, good luck is with you, sir, as Atlantic Gulf operating a BAC One-Eleven is correct! I believe the service was operated on a "triangle" routing of either Miami - Providenciales - Grand Turk - Miami or vice versa.

And speaking of wide body equipment at PLS, during our visit to the island we witnessed a British Airways 777-200 landing at the airfield which does not have parallel taxiways. So the BA 777 very gingerly made a 180 degree turn on the runway and then back tracked to the terminal. BA operates service between London Gatwick and Providenciales several times a week via a stop in each direction at Antigua.

And speaking of London......I just booked a flight to LHR from DFW involving a BA 747-400 for Lady K and yours truly for late September. We'll spend several days in London before meeting friends in Munich for Oktoberfest and then driving with them to Prague for a visit. Here we go again.......
Old May 4, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

1. In 1952 this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Tampa and Grand Cayman. Name the air carrier. ANSWERED

5. It's 1989 and you are in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. You need to travel to San Juan for a meeting and have booked a seat on the first nonstop flight of the day which operates daily except on Sundays. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying? ANSWERED
Just two to go here.....and both now answered.

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 2:11 pm

5. It's 1989 and you are in La Romana in the Dominican Republic. You need to travel to San Juan for a meeting and have booked a seat on the first nonstop flight of the day which operates daily except on Sundays. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying?
I was going to jump in with Dominicana de Aviacion but I think not.

Let's go for Puerto Rico based Executive Airlines which flew as American Eagle with a CASA 212 or maybe ATR-42.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. In 1952 this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Tampa and Grand Cayman. Name the air carrier.

When I think of Grand Cayman flights in the old days, BWIA and LACSA come to mind, but out of Miami. Tampa... once a week... Hmm... I don't recall BWIA and LACSA ever flying out of there. That seems like Pan Am and National country. What the heck - let's go with Pan American
Old May 5, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I was going to jump in with Dominicana de Aviacion but I think not.

Let's go for Puerto Rico based Executive Airlines which flew as American Eagle with a CASA 212 or maybe ATR-42.
5. American Eagle was indeed flying nonstop service with the ATR 42 from La Romana in the DR to San Juan at this time. However, the first flight of the day from LRM to SJU was operated by another airline with a turboprop aircraft type that wasn't an ATR or CASA 212. Please guess again, sir!
Old May 5, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. In 1952 this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Tampa and Grand Cayman. Name the air carrier.

When I think of Grand Cayman flights in the old days, BWIA and LACSA come to mind, but out of Miami. Tampa... once a week... Hmm... I don't recall BWIA and LACSA ever flying out of there. That seems like Pan Am and National country. What the heck - let's go with Pan American
1. Ah, it wasn't Pan American or National. So here's a clue: the service was operated with a seaplane and the airline in question was also flying the same type of aircraft between Grand Cayman and Kingston in scheduled service at this time. Please guess again!
Old May 5, 2018, 8:22 am

5. American Eagle was indeed flying nonstop service with the ATR 42 from La Romana in the DR to San Juan at this time. However, the first flight of the day from LRM to SJU was operated by another airline with a turboprop aircraft type that wasn't an ATR or CASA 212. Please guess again, sir!
Then I'll try Eastern Metro Express with DHC Twin Otter but that's a guess
Old May 5, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then I'll try Eastern Metro Express with DHC Twin Otter but that's a guess
5. That's a very good guess! However, it was not EA Metro Express and the equipment wasn't a Twin Otter. The airline in question was operating a larger turboprop aircraft type and the service wasn't flown on a code sharing basis. And here's another clue: the air carrier we are looking for wasn't based in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

1. Ah, it wasn't Pan American or National. So here's a clue: the service was operated with a seaplane and the airline in question was also flying the same type of aircraft between Grand Cayman and Kingston in scheduled service at this time. Please guess again!
Unfortunately, when it comes to seaplanes - especially those operating before I was born - I haven't a clue. Chalks and Antilles Air Boats are the only ones that come to mind but I don't think either operated out of Tampa.

Anybody else have an idea on this one?
Old May 6, 2018, 1:59 am

5. That's a very good guess! However, it was not EA Metro Express and the equipment wasn't a Twin Otter. The airline in question was operating a larger turboprop aircraft type and the service wasn't flown on a code sharing basis. And here's another clue: the air carrier we are looking for wasn't based in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic.
Then it must have been Air BVI with an HS.748
Old May 6, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, when it comes to seaplanes - especially those operating before I was born - I haven't a clue. Chalks and Antilles Air Boats are the only ones that come to mind but I don't think either operated out of Tampa.

Anybody else have an idea on this one?
1. The air carrier in question had it's "registered office" located in Nassau....but it did not serve Nassau on a scheduled basis. Over in Miami, the general sales agent for this seaplane operator was BOAC....but the airline we are looking for did not serve Miami on a scheduled basis at this time either. As stated, it served Grand Cayman from Tampa and Kingston with round trip flights once a week on each route. Plus, from May until December of 1952, Montego Bay was served as a flag stop on the Grand Cayman - Kingston route. The seaplane service operated from North Sound at a location just east of the present day Grand Cayman Owen Roberts International Airport. And the air carrier's timetable also contained this exciting and romantic information concerning Grand Cayman:

Capital (of Grand Cayman): Georgetown, population approximately 6,000 - HOTEL GUIDE and GENERAL INFORMATION:

GALLEON BEACH HOTEL: Modern luxury hotel on famous five mile long white sand beach. 18 double rooms with private bath - cocktail bar and lounge - open-air movies - excellent cuisine....dancing nightly. Rates: on application. Manager: E. Recaldin (late of Claridges & Cafe Royal, London).

PLACES TO GO: BAMBOO HOUSE CLUB - Cocktails - Dancing. CAPTAIN BEN'S BAR - Original 18th century Tavern.

OTHER ATTRACTIONS: Turtle catching. Spear fishing. Deep sea fishing. Lagoon tarpon fishing. Shooting (ducks and other game). Tours of historical places. Picnics.

I'll let this one sit out there until this evening and then provide the answer.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then it must have been Air BVI with an HS.748
5. Yep, it sure was. Here's the sched.....

BL 715: La Romana (LRM) 11:20a - 12:20p San Juan (SJU)
Op: Daily except Sundays
Equip: Hawker Siddeley HS 748

Air BVI was also operating nonstop HS 748 service San Juan - Tortola (where the airline was based) in addition to flying nonstop Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander service San Juan - Virgin Gorda at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; May 6, 2018 at 7:43 am
Old May 6, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll go ahead and provide the answer: Caribbean International Airways Ltd. operating Consolidated PBY-2A PBY-5A Catalina amphibian aircraft.

The air carrier was founded by former RAF Wing Commander Owen Roberts who established seaplane service as there was no airfield on Grand Cayman at the time. Following completion of a new airstrip on Grand Cayman in the early 1950s, Roberts acquired Lockheed Lodestar aircraft for his airline. Tragically, he was killed in a crash of Lodestar. The current international airport on Grand Cayman bears his name thus commemorating his role as an aviation pioneer in the Cayman Islands.

Last edited by jlemon; May 7, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old May 6, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'll go ahead and provide the answer: Caribbean International Airways Ltd. operating Consolidated PBY-2A Catalina amphibian aircraft.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
Ah, duly noted and you are correct......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.