Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Something to pass the time ...

It’s a Sunday afternoon in Syracuse in the summer of 1983. You’re aimlessly browsing the pages of a Pocket Flight Guide, and start to trace the routings of some of the less common jetliner models. Several are just starting to appear in service, and others are being phased out in the interest of capacity growth, noise, fuel economy, etc. You eventually realize that there are eleven twin-engine jets listed in the PFG, and that you could embark on a very interesting odyssey the next day.

Over the course of eight days, you can fly on each of the 11 models exactly twice. Moreover, you’ll fly on exactly 11 different airlines. You’ll visit 18 other airports; there are three surface sectors, with ample time to make each trip.

You’ll board the smallest jet in SYR on Monday afternoon; at the end of Leg 11 on Friday morning you will have been on each of the ten successively larger jets. Then you’ll play the sequence in reverse, arriving back in SYR aboard the smallest jet on Monday afternoon.

Given the knowledge of most of our Quiz denizens, I probably don’t need to elaborate on this point: among the 11 jets, there are four models of one basic type and two models of another type.

Disclaimer: I’ve not looked up the actual configurations of any of the jets in developing the small-to-large sequence, so don’t put too fine a point on whether any particular airline had, say, 98 seats as opposed to 103 in a particular model.

And as always, in the interest of friendly “competition,” please limit yourself to two or three guesses at a time.

FILL IN THE BLANKS:
Monday
SYR - BDL, UR F.28
BDL - CLE: AL, BAC 1-11
Tuesday
CLE - DTW: RC, DC9
DTW - TPA: DL, D9S
TPA - PIE: Surface
PIE - EWR: PE, 737
Wednesday
EWR - ORD: UA, 73S
(7) - (8): Airline 3, Model 7
Thursday
(8) - (9): Airline 7, Model 8
(9) - (7): Surface, approx 220 miles
(7) - (10): Airline 8, Model 9
(10) - (11): DL, Model 10
Friday
(11) - (12): Airline 8, Model 11
(12) - (13): Airline 8, Model 11
(13) - (10): DL, Model 10
(10) - (14): Airline 8, Model 9
Saturday
(14) - (15): Airline 7, Model 8
(15) - (14): Airline 8, Model 7
(14) - (16): Airline 9, Model 6
Sunday
(16) - (17): Surface, approx 70 miles
(17) - (6): Airline 5, Model 5
(6) - (3): Airline 10, D9S
Monday
(3) - (1): Airline 11, DC9
(1) - (18): AL, BAC 1-11
(18) - SYR: UR, F.28

Last edited by jrl767; May 16, 2018 at 10:21 pm Reason: status update
Old May 8, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'm assuming you'd start out of Syracuse aboard an F28 from Empire Airlines. After that, the options become too hazy for my limited mental capacity to grapple with. That is to say the F.28 could go to a number of different airports from Syracuse and then connect to say... an Eastern DC-9-10 from a NYC airport - probably JFK - or possibly BUF or BDL to any number of other airports such as Richmond or Washington DC. Alas, I'll have to leave this one to those with considerably more grey matter than I. Good luck!
Old May 8, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm assuming you'd start out of Syracuse aboard an F28 from Empire Airlines. After that, the options become too hazy for my limited mental capacity to grapple with. That is to say the F.28 could go to a number of different airports from Syracuse and then connect to say... an Eastern DC-9-10 from a NYC airport - probably JFK - or possibly BUF or BDL to any number of other airports such as Richmond or Washington DC. Alas, I'll have to leave this one to those with considerably more grey matter than I. Good luck!
well, you are certainly right on the mark with that initial assumption ... and you have also guessed the destination of that flight
Empire F-28 is CORRECT
Hartford is CORRECT

per my disclaimer, I believe the jet on Segment 2 had fewer seats than EA had on their DC-9-10s

on the first set of eleven flights you go two airports in Florida and one just west of the Mississippi River; on the second set of eleven flights you go to two different airports in Florida, one farther south than you were before
Old May 9, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767

Monday
SYR - BDL, UR F28
BDL - (2): Airline 2, Model 2

From Hartford, let's try USAir operating a BAC One-Eleven down to Washington National (DCA).
Old May 9, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
From Hartford, let's try USAir operating a BAC One-Eleven down to Washington National (DCA).
USAir is CORRECT
BAC 1-11 is CORRECT
DCA is INCORRECT
Old May 9, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
USAir is CORRECT
BAC 1-11 is CORRECT
DCA is INCORRECT
How bout we replace DCA with EWR? I flew that route with AL once, but aboard a D9S
Old May 9, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
USAir is CORRECT
BAC 1-11 is CORRECT
DCA is INCORRECT
Hmmmm......I think BDL-EWR may have become a commuter turboprop route by this time.....or maybe it was a People Express 737 route.

So, what the heck, we shall execute a missed approach at DCA and head up to Baltimore (BWI) instead.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How bout we replace DCA with EWR? I flew that route with AL once, but aboard a D9S
Hmmmm......I think BDL-EWR may have become a commuter turboprop route by this time.....maybe.

So, what the heck, we shall execute a missed approach at DCA and head up to Baltimore (BWI) instead.
sorry, gentlemen
EWR is INCORRECT -- however, it appears later in the itinerary
BWI is INCORRECT
Old May 9, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry, gentlemen
EWR is INCORRECT -- however, it appears later in the itinerary
BWI is INCORRECT
Well then....let's operate our old friend manufactured by the British Aircraft Corp. to an airfield located just up I-95: Philadelphia (PHL).
Old May 9, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well then....let's operate our old friend manufactured by the British Aircraft Corp. to an airfield located just up I-95: Philadelphia (PHL).
a logical guess, considering its long-time role as a USAir (and former Allegheny) hub ... but regrettably
PHL is INCORRECT
Old May 10, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With all of the seemingly logical choices gone, perhaps it's time we flew over to Pittsburgh on the One-Eleven.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With all of the seemingly logical choices gone, perhaps it's time we flew over to Pittsburgh on the One-Eleven.
while much closer, and also a logical guess for the same reason as PHL ... also regrettably
PIT is INCORRECT

Last edited by jrl767; May 10, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old May 10, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmmmm.......

USAir BAC One-Eleven from Hartford (BDL) to......Detroit (DTW).
Old May 10, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmmmmm.......
USAir BAC One-Eleven from Hartford (BDL) to......Detroit (DTW).
you are closer yet, but once again ....
DTW is INCORRECT

however, DTW is on the list of airports to be visited later, and I neglected to acknowledge to Seat 2A that PHL is as well

now it’s time for me to head to LAX and Seat 3D on a Delta 737-900 that will take me home to Seattle
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you are closer yet, but once again ....
DTW is INCORRECT

however, DTW is on the list of airports to be visited later, and I neglected to acknowledge to Seat 2A that PHL is as well

now it’s time for me to head to LAX and Seat 3D on a Delta 737-900 that will take me home to Seattle
Ah, getting closer, are we? Time to go for broke, boys: Cleveland (CLE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.