Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11- Braniff, operating a mini-Great Pumpkin
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
11. You need to fly from Honolulu to Boston. What a great opportunity to check out a flight or two on Boeing’s new 747SP. You book a single connection joint fare from Honolulu to Boston involving a pair of Boeing’s new SPs, each operated by a different airline. You’ll have a layover of 4 hours at the connection point. Identify the routing and airlines to be flown.
TWA identified, as is the correct routing HNL-LAX-BOS

Braniff, operating a mini-Great Pumpkin

Correct! Braniff took delivery of its first 747SP in 1979, with two more to follow in 1980. TWA flew a total of two which later went to American in 1987. Here's the schedule:

BN 506 Honolulu (HNL) 850p – 500a Los Angeles (LAX) 74L Dinner Snack Mon only

TW 846 Los Angeles (LAX) 915a – 525p Boston (BOS) 74L Lunch Snack X6

Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

3. The managing partner of your firm has just called to inform that your expertise in contract law is needed in the Baltimore office as soon as possible – as in tomorrow morning at 7:30am please. Well dang! There goes the weekend. Then again, maybe not if you can settle this quickly. A quick check with the firm’s travel agent reveals a one-stop AA flight departing Milwaukee at 6:45pm but then you wouldn’t get into Baltimore until almost 11:00pm. However, if you can leave within the next fifteen minutes you could catch a two-stop flight aboard a fairly new entrant to the Milwaukee aviation community that would get him into BWI before 8:00pm. Better yet, the flight would be aboard an aircraft type that you’ve never flown on before. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type involved.
A N S W E R E D

4. It’s two weeks later and once again your services are in demand – this time in Tucson, Arizona. Thankfully it’s Monday and if all goes well you should be home by Thursday. Although there are no nonstop or even direct flights between Milwaukee and Tucson, your travel agent has found an interesting connection involving two twin-engine jets – one of them foreign built, the other American made. Unfortunately no First Class is offered on either of these flights but it’s a quick connection and as an added bonus there are two snacks served enroute. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, connecting city and aircraft types utilized.

5. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.

6. You live in Boca Raton, Florida and one afternoon you come across an ad in your Sunday newspaper’s Travel Section for an airline offering great fares and nonstop flights five times weekly between nearby Ft. Lauderdale and Antigua. Identify the airline and aircraft type the happy couple will be flying upon from Ft. Lauderdale to Antigua.

7. After a relaxing but steamy week in Key West, Florida, you’re looking forward to returning home to the comparative chill of Saint John, New Brunswick. Just to make the return trip more interesting, you’ve worked up an entertaining itinerary from Key West right up the eastern seaboard to Saint John (No crazy zig-zagging to the east or west) involving five airlines operating five different types of jets, none of them American built. Four of the flights are less than 400 miles in length. You’ll take one flight the first day, three the next day and one more on the third day. At one connecting point he’ll have to change airports. Based upon what you know of foreign aircraft types operating in the area at this time (1988) and the airlines that operated them, work out the itinerary along with the airlines and aircraft to be flown.

8. Every now and then it’s nice to do a bit of plane spotting at Miami International Airport. You know of a great spot just off MIA’s Runway 9. You’re especially looking forward to seeing three DC-8-60/70 series (D8S) flights that were listed in the recently expired North American OAG you recently acquired from your local travel agency. Identify the three DC-8-60/70 operators
Suriname Airways identified

10. You live on Maui, Hawaii and need to fly to Montreal. You’ve always loved Lockheed L-1011s and have worked out a four flight routing all on L-1011s following a fairly direct route (no geographically erratic zig-zagging) utilizing the services of four different airlines. Your first day will involve three flights and a couple of 5 to 6 hour layovers. The next day you’ll fly nonstop to Montreal. Identify the routing and the four airlines to be flown upon.
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Nothing good about the weather here today, cold wind, absolutely poured with rain all day, same as two weeks ago, so that's two weekends out of three a complete washout. Mrs WHBM plus Little Miss WHBM came home early afternoon, dreary and soaked. "We're dreary and soaked ... rain never stopped ... my shoes started to let in water ... had to [breaks into smile] buy new shoes ... Look !!!". Yes Dear.

However the intermediate one was sunny and clear skies. Which is just as well, as jlemon of this thread, plus Lady K, breezed through London and we had an interesting get-together in Greenwich. Heathrow was on westerlies and London City on easterlies, a most unusual combination, so approaches to both were over the neighbourhood there, and inevitably we we often distracted skywards, as aircraft like the Korean Air 747-8 made a cameo appearence. Now unfortunately the two of them went elsewhere for half an hour, and what should come quietly put-putting directly overhead at about 1,500 feet right then but none other than a 1945 De Havilland Dragon Rapide, UK small airliner of choice throughout the 1930-60 period. What an airliner for one of the key participants in this thread to just miss. Biplane, wooden construction, De Havilland Gipsy Six engines.

https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/dragon-rapide-flights/

Now we had lunch at the adjacent Gipsy Moth pub, and there is an aviation connection with those engines. Anyone care to guess how they are tied together ?
Yep, Lady K and yours truly were ensconced in a pub located adjacent to Greenwich Park where I was enjoying a proper English ale. I never even heard the airplane fly past and if I had I would have run out the door to take a look at the bloody thing ("I'll be right back, dear, and can I get you a glass of wine while I'm up?"). Blast! Well, perhaps I'll get to see the Dragon Rapide when I return to London for a visit to Duxford one of these fine days, hopefully accompanied by WHBM.....

We had an excellent visit with WHBM and his lovely family. Our trip over to Heathrow was quite different from our return journey which I described yesterday. We departed LFT to DFW on board an AA Eagle CRJ 900 in first, checked out the temporary AA Premium Lounge in Term D and then relocated to the Admirals Club in Term B (better wine at the latter along with complimentary made to order guacamole as well as other tasty food) before boarding an AA B777-323ER in Flagship biz glass for our nonstop to LHR. Very nice service and I actually slept rather well once I adjusted the lie flat seat to just the right position. I also got to see something very interesting while we were en route. I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and thought I would take a look outside as the flight map indicated we would pass right by the southern tip of Greenland. So up went the window shade. And there was Greenland. It was crystal clear with no clouds whatsoever. Better yet, a full moon was illuminating the scene. It was a surreal view of jagged, ice covered mountains thrusting up from the sea. Forbidding yet very beautiful and I won't forget it anytime soon. Plus, later on prior to arrival at Heathrow, we were treated to an impromptu aerial tour of the greater London area including a great view of LCY before finally landing (as noted earlier by WHBM). We also spent some time in American's first and biz class arrivals lounge at LHR and although rather small it was nice with great service from the staff.

And speaking of the weather, a very dire situation continues to unfold in the Gulf of Mexico as I write this and it bodes very ill for the panhandle region of the state of Florida in general and Panama City, Florida in particular. Just this past weekend, our National Hurricane Center (NHC) was predicting development of a tropical weather system in the GOM. The forecast at the time was for a strong tropical storm or minimal Category 1 hurricane named Michael. However, this morning Hurricane Michael is a major Category 4 storm with sustained winds of 150 miles per hour with higher wind gusts. As hurricanes approach our Gulf coast here in the U.S., they usually weaken a bit before making landfall. But Michael is continuing to gain strength and is now only about 70 miles off the coast of Florida with landfall forecast for this afternoon. The good news for us here in Louisiana is the approach of our very first strong cold front of the fall season (with a predicted overnight low temp of 54 F tomorrow morning in LFT which will be the coolest air mass we've experienced since last spring). Hurricanes actually tend to be rather fragile with regard to upper air steering currents and Michael is no exception: the approaching cold front is keeping the hurricane east of us. But I am very concerned about our friends over in Florida and our thoughts and prayers are with them. I also received a text this morning from a friend who drives WC-130J "Hurricane Hunter" aircraft for the USAF Reserve out of Keesler AFB over in Mississippi. He has been flying into Michael and says it's a bad one. And our NHC is now beginning to compare the possible effects on land from Michael to Katrina.

Meantime, I have no clue concerning the question posed above by WHBM but look forward to the answer!

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: Hurricane Michael sustained winds update
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
FINAL CALL FOR THESE 1979 QUESTIONS:
on Saturday afternoon Mrs767 and I are embarking on a South American adventure, during which time I expect to have little if any connectivity
************************************************** *******************************
SEA-LAX (AS 320, F)
LAX-LIM (LA 787, J); two days
LIM-UIO (LA 320, W); two days
UIO-GPS (Baltra, Galapagos Islands) (tbd); five nights and four days on a 40-passenger cruise ship
SCY (San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands)-GYE (tbd); ~18 hours
GYE-LIM (LA 763, J)
LIM-LAX (LA 787, J)
LAX-SEA (AS 738, F)
************************************************** *******************************
7D: BOI-RNO, cabin-class (not commuter-size) turboprop

8B: CID-XXX, mainline jet; XXX-MKE, small turboprop, arriving ~1000 Sat
bonus points: CID-YYY, another airline's mainline jet, Fri evening; YYY-MKE, yet another airline's wide-body jet, breakfast service, Sat morning

9A: Sacramento to Phoenix ... who wants to take the only nonstop when it's a Hughes Airwest DC-9? Not you. Lots of turboprops ply the California skies, along with a few stray piston-powered Cessnas. If you start with a short jet hop at 0650PST, you can then take four different turboprops and a Cessna, and end up in PHX at 2015MST. Identify, in sequence of course, the six segments, airlines, and aircraft types. (There are doubtless several permutations of this journey, but the one in question has no significant north-south backtracking (it does, however, go to the CA coast before heading south and then east) and covers approximately 835 miles. It is also a weekday-only proposition.)
HINTS: (1)
the third airline (i.e., the second turboprop aircraft) and connecting point have been discussed recently (this is the longest leg of the journey); not all the aircraft have the same number of engines
(2) the first two stops are in the Bay Area
(3) the fifth stop is the southernmost point on the route

10A: EWR-ZZZ, rare aircraft (total of nine, only operated by one airline), 1235 departure; ZZZ-PIT, US Airways, BAC 1-11, arriving 1644; ZZZ is not far off EWR-PIT direct
bonus points: equipment on earlier ZZZ-PIT

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 10, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

10. You live on Maui, Hawaii and need to fly to Montreal. You’ve always loved Lockheed L-1011s and have worked out a four flight routing all on L-1011s following a fairly direct route (no geographically erratic zig-zagging) utilizing the services of four different airlines. Your first day will involve three flights and a couple of 5 to 6 hour layovers. The next day you’ll fly nonstop to Montreal. Identify the routing and the four airlines to be flown upon.
Delta, Hawaiian Air and BA have been identified as participating airlines
Let's see if I can bat this one in with a nod to the other guesses above as well as the response to date from Seat 2A.....

* Maui (OGG) - Honolulu (HNL) - Delta (DL)

* Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX) - Hawaiian Air (HA)

* Los Angeles (LAX) - Boston (BOS) - TWA (TW)

* Boston (BOS) - Montreal Mirabel (YMX) - British Airways (BA)
I know you previously mentioned YUL but wasn't YMX still being used at this time?

And BTW, Hurricane Michael made landfall earlier this afternoon near Panama City, Florida in the vicinity of Tyndall Air Force Base with the eye of the storm apparently passing over the base. Sustained winds at the time of landfall of the center of Michael were 155 mph with higher gusts. Had the sustained winds been 157 mph or greater, it would have been a Category 5 hurricane.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

3. The managing partner of your firm has just called to inform that your expertise in contract law is needed in the Baltimore office as soon as possible – as in tomorrow morning at 7:30am please. Well dang! There goes the weekend. Then again, maybe not if you can settle this quickly. A quick check with the firm’s travel agent reveals a one-stop AA flight departing Milwaukee at 6:45pm but then you wouldn’t get into Baltimore until almost 11:00pm. However, if you can leave within the next fifteen minutes you could catch a two-stop flight aboard a fairly new entrant to the Milwaukee aviation community that would get him into BWI before 8:00pm. Better yet, the flight would be aboard an aircraft type that you’ve never flown on before. Identify the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type involved.
3- I will admit to a bit of research ... I think this was Enterprise Airlines, operating a Cessna CitationJet via their Cincinnati (CVG) hub and Columbus (CMH)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Delta, Hawaiian Air and BA have been identified as participating airlines

Let's see if I can bat this one in with a nod to the other guesses above as well as the response to date from Seat 2A.....

Between the two Js, you are both getting ever closer. Once you put a little more thought into where BA flew into YMX from as well as a different city for Hawaiian out of Honolulu, the rest will fall into place and Bob's your uncle.

* Maui (OGG) - Honolulu (HNL) - Delta (DL) Correct!

* Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX) - Hawaiian Air (HA) Incorrect! Correct airline, incorrect destination

* Los Angeles (LAX) - Boston (BOS) - TWA (TW) Incorrect! Incorrect airline, incorrect origin and destination

* Boston (BOS) - Montreal Mirabel (YMX) - British Airways (BA) Correct airline and destination, but incorrect origin
I know you previously mentioned YUL but wasn't YMX still being used at this time? (It was. My apologies - force of habit for Montreal, I'm afraid)

And BTW, Hurricane Michael made landfall earlier this afternoon near Panama City, Florida in the vicinity of Tyndall Air Force Base with the eye of the storm apparently passing over the base. Sustained winds at the time of landfall of the center of Michael were 155 mph with higher gusts. Had the sustained winds been 157 mph or greater, it would have been a Category 5 hurricane.

And now it's on record as being the most powerful hurricane ever to hit the Florida panhandle. Michael's minimum central pressure was measured at 919 millibars when it made landfall. That makes it the third-strongest hurricane to hit the US and the strongest in nearly 50 years.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will admit to a bit of research ... I think this was Enterprise Airlines, operating a Cessna CitationJet via their Cincinnati (CVG) hub and Columbus (CMH)

After all that research, you only THINK this was Enterprise Airlines? Well you're correct, it was. Here's the schedule:

Enterprise Airlines BE Milwaukee (MKE) 315p-530p Cincinnati (CVG) 545p – 615p Columbus (CMH) 625p – 739p-Baltimore (BWI) Cessna Citation X67

Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm going to guess a Convair 580 for the aircraft, although I have no idea who would've flown them out of Boise into Reno. Aspen Airways on a contract basis, perhaps?

BTW, Bon Voyage to you and Mrs767. Espero que ambos viajen bien!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10: * Maui (OGG) - Honolulu (HNL) - Delta (DL) Correct!

* Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX) - Hawaiian Air (HA) Incorrect! Correct airline, incorrect destination

* Los Angeles (LAX) - Boston (BOS) - TWA (TW) Incorrect! Incorrect airline, incorrect origin and destination

* Boston (BOS) - Montreal Mirabel (YMX) - British Airways (BA) Correct airline and destination, but incorrect origin
I know you previously mentioned YUL but wasn't YMX still being used at this time? (It was. My apologies - force of habit for Montreal, I'm afraid)
10- we know the HA flight did not go to SFO; we also know the third airline was not UA (using ex-Pan Am L-1011-500s) or ATA

I recall BA operating fifth freedom service out of Detroit (DTW), but am at a loss for a TriStar operator from some HA destination to DTW ... perhaps a short-lived airline like Rich International serving Las Vegas (LAS)?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to guess a Convair 580 for the aircraft, although I have no idea who would've flown them out of Boise into Reno. Aspen Airways on a contract basis, perhaps?
7D - CV5 is CORRECT
Aspen Airways is INCORRECT; the operator was Gem State Airlines (GG)
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7D. I'll second Seat 2A's guess concerning a Convair 580 being operated between Boise and Reno but will also guess that the operator was Idaho-based Gem State Airlines (and I also believe that Gem State was subsequently acquired and merged into Monterey, CA-based Golden Gate Airlines which in turn continued to operate former Gem State CV-580 aircraft).

And I now see the answer has already been provided by jrl767......
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10: * Maui (OGG) - Honolulu (HNL) - Delta (DL) Correct!

We know the HA flight did not go to SFO; we also know the third airline was not UA (using ex-Pan Am L-1011-500s) or ATA

I recall BA operating fifth freedom service out of Detroit (DTW), but am at a loss for a TriStar operator from some HA destination to DTW ... perhaps a short-lived airline like Rich International serving Las Vegas (LAS)?

You are almost there, J! It was Hawaiian Air to Las Vegas and BA from Detroit to Montreal. It was not Rich Air on the LAS-DTW sector, but the airline in question has come up in a previous question here, perhaps even about the LAS-DTW route. Alright then - let's close this one out. You'd better hurry though before jlemon remembers that question and sweeps in for the kill!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS SOURCED FROM A 1988 POCKET FLIGHT GUIDE

Delta, Hawaiian Air and BA have been identified as participating airlines OGG-HNL-XXX-XXX-YMX
Okay....goggles on.....scarf in place......time to taxi out (ah, are the guns loaded? Yes!)........and we are airborne.

And there's the target!

I'll guess Air America operating LAS-DTW with an L10. And I also believe that Air America formerly operated as Total Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.