Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. What was the easternmost city in the U.S. served by Continental Airlines with the Vickers Viscount in the spring of 1966?

Well now, I suppose it's possible CO might've flown its Viscounts into ORD from MCI, but I'm thinking they once flew on an interchange with Braniff between Kansas City (MKC) and St. Louis. If that's true, then St. Louis is my answer
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. What was the easternmost city in the U.S. served by Continental Airlines with the Vickers Viscount in the spring of 1966?

Well now, I suppose it's possible CO might've flown its Viscounts into ORD from MCI, but I'm thinking they once flew on an interchange with Braniff between Kansas City (MKC) and St. Louis. If that's true, then St. Louis is my answer
2. Correct! In the spring of 1966, Continental was operating all of its Chicago (ORD) flights with "Golden Jet Boeing" equipment - either the B707 or B720B. And CO was only operating one flight a day at St. Louis - the interchange service flown in conjunction with Braniff International you have mentioned with the interchange point being Kansas City. Here's the round trip sched....

CO/BN 960: Denver (DEN) 7:05a - 10:00a Kansas City (MKC) 10:20a - 11:24a St. Louis (STL)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Viscount II Jet-Prop
Service classes: A/T (Jet-Prop First & Coach)
Meal service: Breakfast in first class & continental breakfast in coach DEN-MKC

BN/CO 963: St. Louis (STL) 11:50a - 1:00p Kansas City (MKC) 1:20p - 2:30p Denver (DEN)
Freq: Daily
Equip: Viscount II Jet-Prop
Service classes: A/T (Jet-prop First & Coach)
Meal services: Lunch in first class & coach STL-MKC; Lunch in first class & coach only for those passengers boarding at MKC (no second lunch service for those DEN passengers boarding in STL)

So how about yet another....BONUS quiz item?

At the same time as the above Viscount flights, Continental was operating round trip nonstop Douglas DC-3 service on only one route. Identify this route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 15, 2018 at 6:30 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

BONUS quiz item.....

In the fall of 1993, two airlines were serving Sondre Stromfjord (SFJ) in Greenland. One operated jet equipment and the other did not. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment they operated into SFJ. Hint: the non-jet air carrier operated two different aircraft types while only one jet type was operated into SFJ by the other airline.
Still looking for an answer for this one......and now ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 15, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA
Hello from a train hammering through a dark and wet night at 125mph through the North of England.
23. At the same time as the above Viscount flights, Continental was operating round trip nonstop Douglas DC-3 service on only one route. Identify this route.
I think it was doing Denver to Colorado Springs. Was it the last DC3 run for a US Trunk operator ?
21. In the fall of 1993, two airlines were serving Sondre Stromfjord (SFJ) in Greenland. One operated jet equipment and the other did not. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment they operated into SFJ. Hint: the non-jet air carrier operated two different aircraft types while only one jet type was operated into SFJ by the other airline.
One would be SAS with a jet to Copenhagen. They had worked through various types, and for some years chartered a Transair (the Swedish one) 727 for the run, but I think it would be a 767 by this time.

Other operator would be the Greenland state operator, Greenlandair (something like Groenlandsflyg in Danish), who operated around their challenging territory with Dash-7s and, I think still at this stage, S-61 helicopters.

Am I the only one on this thread who has actually been into Sondrestrom ? In 1968. Anyone care to guess carrier and aircraft ?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Hello from a train hammering through a dark and wet night at 125mph through the North of England.

I think it was doing Denver to Colorado Springs. Was it the last DC3 run for a US Trunk operator ?
One would be SAS with a jet to Copenhagen. They had worked through various types, and for some years chartered a Transair (the Swedish one) 727 for the run, but I think it would be a 767 by this time.

Other operator would be the Greenland state operator, Greenlandair (something like Groenlandsflyg in Danish), who operated around their challenging territory with Dash-7s and, I think still at this stage, S-61 helicopters.

Am I the only one on this thread who has actually been into Sondrestrom ? In 1968. Anyone care to guess carrier and aircraft ?
21. Correct.....on all counts! SAS (SK) was operating round trip, nonstop Boeing 767-300 service three days a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between CPH and SFJ while Greenlandair (GL) was flying fixed wing de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 and/or Sikorsky S-61 helicopter service to such to such exotic locations on Greenland as Holsteinborg, Jakobshavn, Kulusuk, Nuuk and Sukkertoppen in addition to flying a Dash 7 service to Reykjavik (REK) in Iceland once week via a stop at Kulusuk. And although I haven't been to Sondrestrom, I believe I did see the airfield lights at night from afar as we flew by Greenland in the wee hours recently en route from DFW to LHR.

I'll also offer two guesses concerning your visit to Sondrestrom: Icelandair on board a Boeing 727 or Dan-Air on board a Boeing 707 with the latter being a transatlantic refueling stop.

23. Correct! Although I'm not sure whether this was the last scheduled DC-3 passenger operation conducted by a major U.S. air carrier.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 16, 2018 at 9:41 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:16 pm

I'll also offer two guesses concerning your visit to Sondrestrom: Icelandair on board a Boeing 727 or Dan-Air on board a Boeing 707 with the latter being a transatlantic refueling stop.
Neither of the operators, but one of the aircraft is correct.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. At the same time as the above Viscount flights, Continental was operating round trip nonstop Douglas DC-3 service on only one route. Identify this route. ANSWERED
And this, of course, engenders yet another BONUS quiz item also concerning CO......

24. At the same time that Continental was operating the DC-3 only between Denver and Colorado Springs, the airline was also operating just one round trip flight a day utilizing a Douglas DC-6B. This flight was operated between a city located in the middle of the U.S. and a city located on the U.S. west coast. The westbound flight made six intermediate stops en route and the eastbound flight made five intermediate stops en route. Identify all of these cities and be sure to list the stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 17, 2018 at 8:44 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Neither of the operators, but one of the aircraft is correct.
Wild guess time x two Canadian air carriers....

A Boeing 727 operated by either Ward Air or First Air.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. The meeting in Milwaukee went very well and now it's time to head to San Francisco. Looks like you'll just be able to catch a daily evening departure from MKE that will get you into SFO before midnight with one intermediate stop being made en route. And better yet, first class is available. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Seems like either United or Northwest would fit the bill - UA running a DC-8 of some variant through Denver or NW running a DC-10-40 through Minneapolis. Let's go with Northwest.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
And this, of course, engenders yet another BONUS quiz item also concerning CO......

24. At the same time that Continental was operating the DC-3 only between Denver and Colorado Springs, the airline was also operating just one round trip flight a day utilizing a Douglas DC-6B. This flight was operated between a city located in the middle of the U.S. and a city located on the U.S. west coast. The westbound flight made six intermediate stops en route and the eastbound flight made five intermediate stops en route. Identify all of these cities and be sure to list the stops in the order in which they were made.
24- I think this was the UA/CO interchange: Kansas City (MKC) to/from Seattle (SEA) with stops at:
1.Oklahoma City (OKC)
2.Tulsa (TUL)
3.Wichita (ICT)
4.Denver (DEN; interchange point)
5.Boise (BOI) (westbound only)
6.Portland (PDX)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:21 am

Wild guess time x two Canadian air carriers....

A Boeing 727 operated by either Ward Air or First Air.
OK, one of those two. Now where (approximately) was I travelling from and to.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. It's the spring of 1981 and you are in San Diego where you've just completed work on a project. The phone rings and it's an old college friend: "Hey man, I'm in Lake Tahoe and it just snowed like crazy last night! Come on up for some spring skiing! The girls are already here!" Well, of course, you're in! And here's a daily one stop direct flight departing SAN in the morning that arrives in TVL at lunch time - plenty of time for a quick bite at the ski lodge and then an afternoon of skiing. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

Any chance that the aircraft involved was powered by a quartet of Allison 501-D engines?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. The meeting in Milwaukee went very well and now it's time to head to San Francisco. Looks like you'll just be able to catch a daily evening departure from MKE that will get you into SFO before midnight with one intermediate stop being made en route. And better yet, first class is available. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

Seems like either United or Northwest would fit the bill - UA running a DC-8 of some variant through Denver or NW running a DC-10-40 through Minneapolis. Let's go with Northwest.
11. Well, you have correctly identified the intermediate stop: MSP. However, the airline wasn't Northwest nor was it United. And the aircraft wasn't a standard or stretch DC-8 nor was it a DC-10-10, -30 or -40. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:54 am Reason: clarification
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

24- I think this was the UA/CO interchange: Kansas City (MKC) to/from Seattle (SEA) with stops at:
1.Oklahoma City (OKC)
2.Tulsa (TUL)
3.Wichita (ICT)
4.Denver (DEN; interchange point)
5.Boise (BOI) (westbound only)
6.Portland (PDX)
24. You are off to an excellent start here as this was indeed a Continental/United interchange service operated with a DC-6B. However, the westbound flight did not originate in Kansas City (MKC).....but it did terminate at Seattle (SEA) and the interchange point was Denver (DEN). This flight also did not stop in Oklahoma City (OKC) in either direction. Plus, there are two stops on the westbound routing that you have not identified.

And we are also still looking for the eastbound routing which made five intermediate stops en route - one less than the westbound flight.

Here are some hints: a stop was made at Boise (BOI) in both directions (thus not only on the westbound flight), the eastbound flight originated in SEA, and the westbound flight originated and the eastbound flight terminated at the same city in the middle of the U.S.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 16, 2018 at 10:56 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. It's the spring of 1981 and you are in San Diego where you've just completed work on a project. The phone rings and it's an old college friend: "Hey man, I'm in Lake Tahoe and it just snowed like crazy last night! Come on up for some spring skiing! The girls are already here!" Well, of course, you're in! And here's a daily one stop direct flight departing SAN in the morning that arrives in TVL at lunch time - plenty of time for a quick bite at the ski lodge and then an afternoon of skiing. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

Any chance that the aircraft involved was powered by a quartet of Allison 501-D engines?
13. Nope, no chance whatsoever....but I will say the aircraft in question was powered by four engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.