Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......
In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.

North America is considerably colder than Europe (Yerp ) in the winter - something to do with the proximity of the large landmass of far eastern Asia (Siberia) next door... I believe the warm waters of the Gulf Stream also influence continental European winters. I know that we've had some winter testing here in Fairbanks. I believe Boeing brought up the 787 for some mid-winter trials. jrl767 could probably elucidate a bit more on this. Still, I don't recall the Concorde being involved in any cold-weather testing here. Given its French manufacture, I wouldn't be surprised if the French looked to their good friends in Canada for a suitable location. I should imagine it would've been a sizable contingent that accompanied the aircraft for these tests, which would have necessitated somewhere with decent access, hotels, restaurants, etc. And of course it had to offer the potential for real cold. As such, the only places that would seem to fit the bill would be Yellowknife and Whitehorse. Whitehorse is the larger of the two, so let's go with that.

Ah, I see that this question has already been answered above. Well that's what happens when you start a response and then get sidetracked on other stuff for a bit. In any event, I see it wasn't YXY bout rather right here in my backyard. So, as to my wordy response, well, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna - "Never Mind"
wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 16, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jlemon
We are making great progress and here's what's still in play......

8. It's 1966 and you are in Lima, Peru. It's time to get back to business and that means a flight to New York City. You've found a flight that operates three days a week departing at 6:15 am which will get you into New York by 7:00 pm. Three stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the equipment.
This is going to be a tough one, not being Braniff. Looks like I will be either running around Lima visiting many airline city ticket offices or going to the airport to inquire at many airline ticket counters. Next stop, Viasa.

Viasa, Lima - Bogata - Maracaibo - Caracas - New York JFK, Douglas DC-8
Old Mar 16, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. It's 1966 and you are in Lima, Peru. It's time to get back to business and that means a flight to New York City. You've found a flight that operates three days a week departing at 6:15 am which will get you into New York by 7:00 pm. Three stops will be made en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, the three stops in order and the equipment.

Braniff would also have been amongst my first choices. Still, the west coast of South America up to the U.S. also saw some other interesting options from airlines such as Lufthansa and BOAC. Still, let's go with the safe bet and choose AVIANCA operating a 720B routing Lima-Quito-Baranquilla-Bogota-New York

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 16, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Braniff would also have been amongst my first choices. Still, the west coast of South America up to the U.S. also saw some other interesting options from airlines such as Lufthansa and BOAC. Still, let's go with the safe bet and choose AVIANCA operating a 720B routing Lima-Quito-Baranquilla-Bogota-New York
Loose lips sink ships! "Talking" with Seat 2A, I abandon my trip to the Viasa office and run to the BOAC office. I ask...

BOAC Lima - Kingston - Montego Bay - Nassau - New York (JFK), Vickers VC-10.

I may be wrong. Could be Montego Bay before Kingston or maybe Freeport, Bahamas, but BOAC may be kind enough to correct a small error like this.

Seat 2A's Barranquilla doesn't seem right. Isn't that on the northern coast so it would be backtracking to Bogata. Cali then Bogata would be more logical.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
This is going to be a tough one, not being Braniff. Looks like I will be either running around Lima visiting many airline city ticket offices or going to the airport to inquire at many airline ticket counters. Next stop, Viasa.

Viasa, Lima - Bogata - Maracaibo - Caracas - New York JFK, Douglas DC-8
8. Another great guess.....but it wasn't VIASA, the equipment wasn't a DC8 and the flight did not stop in Bogota, Maracaibo or Caracas.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Nope, it wasn't AVIANCA, the aircraft wasn't a Boeing 720B and the stops weren't made at Quito, Baranquilla or Bogota.

However, you are definitely on the right track here.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And speaking of Concorde, here's a bonus quiz item......
In early 1974, a Concorde was sent to an airport for cold weather testing for twelve days. The aircraft remained outside for several nights at this airfield in temperatures as low as minus 44 C. Identify this airport.

Ah, I see that this question has already been answered above. Well that's what happens when you start a response and then get sidetracked on other stuff for a bit. In any event, I see it wasn't YXY bout rather right here in my backyard. So, as to my wordy response, well, in the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna - "Never Mind"
But wasn't that you driving the dog team and sled in the photo?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Loose lips sink ships! "Talking" with Seat 2A, I abandon my trip to the Viasa office and run to the BOAC office. I ask...

BOAC Lima - Kingston - Montego Bay - Nassau - New York (JFK), Vickers VC-10.

I may be wrong. Could be Montego Bay before Kingston or maybe Freeport, Bahamas, but BOAC may be kind enough to correct a small error like this.

Seat 2A's Barranquilla doesn't seem right. Isn't that on the northern coast so it would be backtracking to Bogata. Cali then Bogata would be more logical.
8. BOAC is correct! And this flight continued on from New York to London. Here's the complete sched.....

BA 684: Lima (LIM) 06:15 - 10:30 Kingston (KIN) 11:15 - 11:45 Montego Bay (MBJ) 12:15 - 13:35 Nassau (NAS) 14:20 - 18:00 New York Kennedy (JFK) 20:00 - 07:40 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Wednesdays and Sundays only
Equip: Super VC-10
Service classes: F/Y
Note: BA 684 also operated on Fridays stopping in Freeport (FPO) instead of Nassau (13:45 FPO 14:30)

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 16, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As always, please limit your guesses to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

Let's return to the days of aviation yore and the 1960's........

4. You're in Mexico City and it's 1964. You need to travel to Los Angeles with a late morning arrival into LAX before noon being the best fit for your schedule. Ah, here's a flight departing MEX at 8:00 am which operates three days a week. Unfortunately, first class is not offered on this flight but what the heck...you book a seat in coach. One stop will be made en route and you'll be served a full hot breakfast. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

5. It's still 1964 and you are preparing to fly from Los Angeles nonstop to Chicago O'Hare on Continental. Alas, first class is sold out on the flight that fits your schedule....but the reservation agent then tells you the Boeing 707 you'll be flying on board offers three classes of service, so you won't have to travel in Economy class. What is the name of the class of service you will be in on this CO flight, what is the seating configuration in terms of the number of seats across in each row, and how many seats are there in this cabin? Seat config was 2-3 across and the name of service was Club Coach. Still looking for the total number of seats in the Club Coach cabin which was less than 40.

6. What was the name of coach class on American Airlines Astrojet aircraft in 1965? AANSWERED

7. A very special, high level VIP flight was operated into Page, Arizona in 1965 with a Hawker Siddeley HS-748 turboprop aircraft. Who was on board and who was the operator of the flight? Hint: this flight was not operated by an airline. ANSWERED

9. You've just arrived in Acapulco in 1966 following a lovely sail trip up the Pacific coast from Costa Rica. An evening flight to Los Angeles has been booked and you are in first class. This service operates four days a week and two stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

11. It's the summer of 1967 and you are back in Chicago. Your old sailing buddy has asked you to check out a catamaran for sale that is moored near Mobile, Alabama down on the Gulf Coast. An evening flight from O'Hare to Mobile would best fit your schedule and you find there is a daily direct dinner flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment. The air carrier was Eastern and the second stop was BHM. The first stop was not ATL and the equipment wasn't a B727-100.

17. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Madrid. You have been requested to attend a meeting in Santiago, Chile on fairly short notice. You are in luck as there is a flight which only operates once a week that fits your schedule. You will depart Madrid at 11:45 pm and arrive into Santiago at 1:50 pm the next day. Five Four stops will be made en route but you'll be in first class, of course. Identify the airline, all five four stops in order and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

21. It's 1969 and time for a good, old fashioned milk run on the west coast of the U.S.! You are in Portland, Oregon, your destination is Los Angeles and your daily flight will make five stops en route from PDX to LAX. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED
Rolling right along here......

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 18, 2019 at 3:49 pm Reason: answer update & hints & correction
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

4. You're in Mexico City and it's 1964. You need to travel to Los Angeles with a late morning arrival into LAX before noon being the best fit for your schedule. Ah, here's a flight departing MEX at 8:00 am which operates three days a week. Unfortunately, first class is not offered on this flight but what the heck...you book a seat in coach. One stop will be made en route and you'll be served a full hot breakfast. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

I'm going to guess that a Fiesta flight with Western would probably be a bit too pedestrian to be considered as a question. Instead, let's go with Mexicana operating a Golden Aztec Comet 4 via Guadalajara.

7. A very special, high level VIP flight was operated into Page, Arizona in 1965 with a Hawker Siddeley HS-748 turboprop aircraft. Who was on board and who was the operator of the flight? Hint: this flight was not operated by an airline.

Edward Abbey & Hayduke Air Services. The 748 had been modified with a special bomb bay specifically designed to drop a quartet of 2000lb bombs on the Glen Canyon Dam.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA
7. A very special, high level VIP flight was operated into Page, Arizona in 1965 with a Hawker Siddeley HS-748 turboprop aircraft. Who was on board and who was the operator of the flight? Hint: this flight was not operated by an airline
I believe it actually wasn't a Hawker Siddeley 748, but a derivative of that type with some differences, and named differently And it would be VERY highly polished.

17. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Madrid. You have been requested to attend a meeting in Santiago, Chile on fairly short notice. You are in luck as there is a flight which only operates once a week that fits your schedule. You will depart Madrid at 11:45 pm and arrive into Santiago at 1:50 pm the next day. Five stops will be made en route but you'll be in first class, of course. Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft type
Boy, this could be anybody, as many of the major European carriers ran to South America stopping at Madrid. I'm guessing it's not Iberia or LAN, but someone stopping at Madrid on the way.

Let's go as a starter for British United, with their VC-10 which had taken over the route from BOAC Comet 4s a couple of years previously. In which case 5 intermediate stops would be Las Palmas, Rio, Sao Paolo, Montevideo and Buenos Aires. These flights ran twice-weekly, but alternated between Madrid and Lisbon, once a week at each. They crew changed twice, at Las Palmas and Sao Paolo, the crew dropped back three or four days each time, and were away from home for three weeks. At Las Palmas they used the same hotel as the "milk run" BUA One-Eleven which night stopped there on its once-weekly run to and from the west coast of Africa, and from the account of a nowadays grandfather, but then junior FO, when they coincided a good time was had by all ...

If it's not BUA, ignore all this bit.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. You're in Mexico City and it's 1964. You need to travel to Los Angeles with a late morning arrival into LAX before noon being the best fit for your schedule. Ah, here's a flight departing MEX at 8:00 am which operates three days a week. Unfortunately, first class is not offered on this flight but what the heck...you book a seat in coach. One stop will be made en route and you'll be served a full hot breakfast. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.

7. A very special, high level VIP flight was operated into Page, Arizona in 1965 with a Hawker Siddeley HS-748 turboprop aircraft. Who was on board and who was the operator of the flight? Hint: this flight was not operated by an airline.
I see that Seat 2A has leaped into the breech concerning the above.....

4. Well, it wasn't Mexicana, the aircraft wasn't a Comet and the stop was not made in Guadalajara. And, in fact, the flight in question wasn't operated by Aeronaves de Mexico, either. Please guess again, sir!

7. Ah, this wasn't a charter for "Earth First!". Nor was it a special flight for "them boys in that there Sahara Club" (according to ol' Seldom Seen Smith). And an exciting payload of HE or other impressive pyrotechnics were not involved as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:44 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:20 am
Suspended

17. It's the summer of 1968 and you are in Madrid. You have been requested to attend a meeting in Santiago, Chile on fairly short notice. You are in luck as there is a flight which only operates once a week that fits your schedule. You will depart Madrid at 11:45 pm and arrive into Santiago at 1:50 pm the next day. Five stops will be made en route but you'll be in first class, of course. Identify the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft type

Originally Posted by WHBM

Boy, this could be anybody, as many of the major European carriers ran to South America stopping at Madrid. I'm guessing it's not Iberia or LAN, but someone stopping at Madrid on the way.

Let's go as a starter for British United, with their VC-10 which had taken over the route from BOAC Comet 4s a couple of years previously. In which case 5 intermediate stops would be Las Palmas, Rio, Sao Paolo, Montevideo and Buenos Aires. These flights ran twice-weekly, but alternated between Madrid and Lisbon, once a week at each. They crew changed twice, at Las Palmas and Sao Paolo, the crew dropped back three or four days each time, and were away from home for three weeks. At Las Palmas they used the same hotel as the "milk run" BUA One-Eleven which night stopped there on its once-weekly run to and from the west coast of Africa, and from the account of a nowadays grandfather, but then junior FO, when they coincided a good time was had by all ...

If this is true, my guess would be that it stopped in Campinas after Rio, not Sao Paulo. Guarulhos is the big international airport of Sao Paulo, sort of like the JFK of Sao Paulo, but for many years until the late 1980's, passengers had to travel far far away to Campinas. An alternative was to use CGH, sort of like the LaGuardia of Sao Paulo, and fly to Rio.

I offer a different answer. I don't think it is Iberia or Lan Chile because once a week is far too infrequent for those major players in that market. Ditto to Lufthansa, which can tap the German Chilean population. Thanks to my quiz colleagues, who helped answer a question I posed a few weeks ago about FRA-SJU and beyond to South America, I offer an alternate routing.

Air France, Boeing 707, beginning in Orly but the routing from Spain would be MAD - San Juan SJU - Caracas CCS - Bogata BOG - Lima LIM - Antofagasta Chile (copper mining traffic) - SCL

CORRECTION: Antofagasta, Chile would be really odd and a Hail Mary answer so I substitute a Quito stop before Lima.

If this is the answer, I wonder if the plane was fairly empty between LIM and SCL or if they carried a lot of traffic. Around Christmas 1985, an Eastern Airlines 727 crashed in Bolivia after hitting a mountain on an Asuncion - La Paz - several stops - Miami flight. The Asuncion - La Paz flight had fewer than 30 passengers. That leads me to believe that the last leg might have few passengers but the economics of airlines were different then.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

7. I believe it actually wasn't a Hawker Siddeley 748, but a derivative of that type with some differences, and named differently And it would be VERY highly polished.

17. Boy, this could be anybody, as many of the major European carriers ran to South America stopping at Madrid. I'm guessing it's not Iberia or LAN, but someone stopping at Madrid on the way.

7. I thought I might get into a spot of trouble concerning this one......and the airplane sure looks like an HS 748 on the film that was shot of the arrival event. So perhaps it's safe to say the aircraft in question was based on the HS 748. And I truly believe you are precisely on track with regard to the answer here.

17. Ignore WHBM?! Good Lord! Never in a thousand years, sir! And, of course, British United is correct! This flight also originated in London. And I stated five stops in error. It made actually four stops after departing from Madrid. Here's the complete sched.....

BR 661: London Gatwick (LGW) 21:05 - 23:00 Madrid (MAD) 23:45 - 01:20 Las Palmas (LPA) 02:20 - 07:05 Rio de Janeiro (GIG) 08:05 - 10:45 Montevideo (MVD) 11:25 - 11:05 Buenos Aires (EZE) 11:55 - 13:50 Santiago (SCL)
Freq: Thursdays only
Equip: VC-10
Service classes: F/Y
Note: BR 661 also operated on Sundays with a routing of London Gatwick - Lisbon - Las Palmas - Rio de Janeiro - Sao Paulo - Buenos Aires - Santiago, departing LGW at 19:20 and arriving in SCL the next day at 13:50

And now to the lawn mower on a fairly chilly Sunday afternoon.....

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

After this round finishes, may I be the guest moderator and submit a mini-quiz? Not 20 questions or so but maybe 3-5?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.