Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
After this round finishes, may I be the guest moderator and submit a mini-quiz? Not 20 questions or so but maybe 3-5?
I won’t formally speak for the senior Quizmeisters (Seat 2A and jlemon), but as one who has done so a couple times, they are always delighted to have a break from researching, crafting, and answering questions!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
i

Originally Posted by jrl767

I won’t formally speak for the senior Quizmeisters (Seat 2A and jlemon), but as one who has done so a couple times, they are always delighted to have a break from researching, crafting, and answering questions!
Hey, have at it! It should not be much longer until we wrap up my current set which will also coincide nicely with my upcoming trip to London just over a week from now.

And my goodness.....dear old American Airlines. I've been trying to score an upgrade to business class on a 77W DFW-LHR and have been wait listed for such since last November via a mileage redemption and co-pay request. Then last Friday a friend volunteered the use of one his AA SWU instruments. That was the good news....however, the upgrade still wasn't available and my reservation then became screwed up beyond recognition. Yet another call to American this morning and after an hour on the phone with three different agents, I think the problem is solved.....maybe. But there's more good news as well as I'm now upgraded on my return flights LHR-DFW-LFT....although via what instrument remains unclear. One agent says it was an SWU but another agent says it was an AA BXP3 upgrade cert (courtesy of another friend who is also a fellow FTer). So we'll see, I guess, and I hope the return upgrade sticks this time (it didn't before). So yours truly will be prepared anything as I've experienced numerous problems with this reservation during the past several months. It really shouldn't be this difficult.....but nothing is eAAsy, as they say.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
6. What was the name of coach class on American Airlines Astrojet aircraft in 1965?

I have no clue so I submit two answers.

Joke answer: eMRTC. even MORE Room Throughout Coach. Remember MRTC?
real answer that is probably wrong: Astro Coach

21. It's 1969 and time for a good, old fashioned milk run on the west coast of the U.S.! You are in Portland, Oregon, your destination is Los Angeles and your daily flight will make five stops en route from PDX to LAX. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment.

Since nobody has answered, I make a wild guess.

Air West (before Hughes Air West, the yellow banana) DC-9, PDX to LAX stopping at
Eugene, Medford, San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 17, 2019 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
After this round finishes, may I be the guest moderator and submit a mini-quiz? Not 20 questions or so but maybe 3-5?
By all means!
I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'd welcome your input to the tune of however many questions you care to submit. Go for it! ^^
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
6. What was the name of coach class on American Airlines Astrojet aircraft in 1965?

I have no clue so I submit two answers.

Joke answer: eMRTC. even MORE Room Throughout Coach. Remember MRTC?
real answer that is probably wrong: Astro Coach

21. It's 1969 and time for a good, old fashioned milk run on the west coast of the U.S.! You are in Portland, Oregon, your destination is Los Angeles and your daily flight will make five stops en route from PDX to LAX. Identify the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment.

Since nobody has answered, I make a wild guess.

Air West (before Hughes Air West, the yellow banana) DC-9, PDX to LAX stopping at
Eugene, Medford, San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno
6. & 21. Nope, nope and nope. Although our west coast milk run flight did stop at EUG, SFO and FAT. And please....just one answer per quiz item at a time.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA
7. I thought I might get into a spot of trouble concerning this one......and the airplane sure looks like an HS 748 on the film that was shot of the arrival event. So perhaps it's safe to say the aircraft in question was based on the HS 748. And I truly believe you are precisely on track with regard to the answer here.
I can't find a film on Youtube. But here they are https://mikesdamphotoblog.com/2018/0...rives-in-page/ , British minor royalty (that's a regular expression, by the way, for relatives) in Arizona, with the aircraft nose behind. And here's the complete aircraft https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=an...YJzt9A93K5mohM: . It was inevitably regularly identified as an HS 748, though strictly the Andover was the HS 780, it had a few minor airframe mods, allowing parachutists to exit, etc, and was built only for the RAF. 37 were built. The VIP ones lasted a good long time in this service, built 1964 they were finally retired in the mid-1990s, being replaced by a couple of HS.125 executive jets. The basic Air Force ones lasted the same, although a good number were sold off to the Royal New Zealand Air Force in the mid-1970s.

I don't think we've done The Queen's Flight before, and I doubt any here have flown them. But you never know. Part of the RAF, the Andovers were based at RAF Benson, near Oxford, but ranged far and wide. For this trip a common arrangement applied. I did find a film of the Royal party leaving Heathrow for the USA, in a BOAC VC-10, while the Andover had been flown on in advance across the Atlantic, in a series of short hops, to pick up for the local journeys. It had all the navigation kit for over-ocean flights within its range. They got round the world, certainly several times to New Zealand and the onetime colonial Pacific islands. It was a fine appointment for an RAF officer to be assigned to, they normally stayed there until they retired.

The Royal Flight had started in the mid-1930s, with a De Havilland Dragon Rapide, and have always kept their red and black livery. Several members of the Royal Family were qualified on the Andover (and its predecessors) over time, the current Queen's husband, Prince Philip, was a longstanding pilot on the aircraft, while Prince Charles followed on likewise, and onto the BAe146 jet which succeeded it, until 1994 when he landed it well outside limits at Islay in Scotland, and it substantially overran the runway. The damage repair was £ several millions (swept under the carpet as RAF expense), and following some full and frank interviews with the various senior pilots he had flown with over time, it fell to the British Prime Minister of the day, and the head of the RAF, to tell him in a private meeting one day that his days of flying RAF aircraft were over.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=187927
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
6. & 21. Although our west coast milk run flight did stop at EUG, SFO and FAT.
United 737.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

6. & 21. Nope, nope and nope. Although our west coast milk run flight did stop at EUG, SFO and FAT. And please....just one answer per quiz item at a time.
Another try.

United Airlines, Boeing 737-200, PDX - Salem - Eugene - San Francisco - Monterey Stockton - Fresno - Los Angeles.

Salem (SLM) used to have commercial air service years ago but not currently. It was in the news in 2017 when an Alaska Airlines 737 diverted to SLM. See Alaska flight diverted to SLE (Salem, OR) Post #19 says " Yep, back in the 60s and 70s, SLE was a regular stop on the UA "milk run" between SFO and PDX."

EDIT
Monterey crossed out because, while there used to be a lot of SFO-MRY service, MRY-FAT seems odd so I switch my answer to Stockton, which UA served from SFO.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 17, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
United Airlines, Boeing 737-200, PDX - Salem - Eugene - San Francisco - Monterey Stockton - Fresno - Los Angeles. ... back in the 60s and 70s, SLE was a regular stop on the UA "milk run" between SFO and PDX."...
one of the first things I did upon moving to the Los Angeles area in 1976 was to sign up for ground school in hopes of getting my private pilot’s license ... one of my classmates was a UA FA who regularly worked the “Oregon Trail”

as I recall, there were two variants, each being a really long day (and while the pilots — and the flight engineer, since UA was actually operating the 737 with a three-man crew — ended their duty day in PDX, I distinctly remember Kathy and her roommate mentioning that the FAs worked these as a same-day turn):
1- LAX-BFL-FAT-MCE-MOD-SFO-PDX//PDX-SLE-EUG-SFO-LAX
2- LAX-SFO-EUG-SLE-PDX//PDX-SFO-MRY-SBA-LAX
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Royal Coachman
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:08 pm
Suspended

. 4. You're in Mexico City and it's 1964. You need to travel to Los Angeles with a late morning arrival into LAX before noon being the best fit for your schedule. Ah, here's a flight departing MEX at 8:00 am which operates three days a week. Unfortunately, first class is not offered on this flight but what the heck...you book a seat in coach. One stop will be made en route and you'll be served a full hot breakfast. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft. .
I have two guesses, one Mexican and one American so here goes the first...

Western Airlines, MEX - SAN - LAX, Boeing 720
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have two guesses, one Mexican and one American so here goes the first...

Western Airlines, MEX - SAN - LAX, Boeing 720
4- well, you beat me to the airline and the routing, but as WA 720s were configured for both F and Y, the equipment was a Lockheed Electra

Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767

4- well, you beat me to the airline and the routing, but as WA 720s were configured for both F and Y, the equipment was a Lockheed Electra

The pre jet era is just a fog that I read about but never experienced. DC-6, DC-6B, DC-7, they all look alike to me. Great that you came up with the answer or I would have floundered guessing!
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Royal Coachman and it had Astrovision movies on their flights for Onboard Entertainment.

I see Toshbaf had already answered the question with the same answer as I responded from the updated post on a previous page

Last edited by teddybear99; Mar 17, 2019 at 11:42 pm Reason: to give credit to Toshbaf
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Royal Coachman and it had Astrovision movies on their flights for Onboard Entertainment.

I see Toshbaf had already answered the question with the same answer as I responded from the updated post on a previous page
You can pat yourself on the back for knowing it! That has happened to me before. I knew the answer but was at work where playing is discouraged so I intended to go home and post the answer. Actually, I wasn't sure it was Royal Coachman because the "man" part sounds odd. I thought it might be Royal Coach. I saw an old ad on ebay with a man dressed like he was working at the palace with the title "Royal Coachman" and didn't know if the man referred to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.