Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
.. first quarter of 1973
18A. Identify the longest nonstop 727 flight (regardless of variant) in Canada
18B. Identify the longest nonstop 727 flight (regardless of variant) in the U.S.

18A- for some obscure reason I think Air Canada had a single daily 72S on Vancouver-Toronto
18B- I'm almost positive United had Chicago-Ontario service, but I wouldn't be surprised if Eastern was in the LAX-Atlanta market

There was a longer flight in the schedules than YYZ-YUL, and Air Canada was not the airline operating it. Please, guess again!
Eastern operating a thrice daily 727-100 is correct!

20. Hilo, Hawaii is well served by four airlines offering direct or nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland. Only one of these airlines serves ITO with a wide-bodied jet. Identify the airline and the type of jet.
It's not Northwest with the DC-10

How about United with a 747 ... if I'm not mistaken, it operated LAX-ITO-HNL-LAX

It very likely did at some point, but alas - not per the schedule I reference. We're looking for a different airline...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
28. Identify the only two airlines that operated Boeing 720s into London Heathrow during the summer of 1972

Can I suggest Sudan Airways and PIA.

You may. They are not the airlines I turned up. That said, both yours and Toshbaf's suggestions are very good and when I get home tomorrow I promise to double check that '72 OAG.

Until then, we're still looking for a couple other airlines...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
There was a longer flight in the schedules than YYZ-YUL, and Air Canada was not the airline operating it. Please, guess again!
18A- "not AC" by default implies CPAir, but I fear you might have given the harder part away (I was actually going to guess the only other reasonable possibility for a longer TCAN -- Ottawa/YOW) ... Vancouver to Montreal

20- going back in the thread a few years, I seem to remember a discussion about Braniff operating 707-320s into Hilo ... perhaps they upgauged to a 747 at some point

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 2, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
28. Identify the only two airlines that operated Boeing 720s into London Heathrow during the summer of 1972
I always found it surprising that 720s had the range to do transatlantic but Avianca flew 720s to Europe. So I am going to guess AV as one of the two operators of 720s at LHR. Probably as the tag end of a flight that first made European landfall at MAD.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The following quiz items have a time line from the spring of 1976
42. There are three Fifth Freedom flights from the U.S. to Mexico. Each flight is operated by an airline not from the U.S. or Mexico. Each flight departs from a different U.S. city and each flight arrives in a different Mexican city. Each flight operates with a different type of equipment. Two different airlines are involved. Your job is to identify the three flights; determining each route, airline and aircraft. Buena suerte, Señor!
I believe there was a time that JAL operated a tag to MEX off of one of its flights to California. I know they had an LAX-SAO tag at one point in time. So I will guess NRT-LAX-MEX on a JL 747. Maybe on alternating days of the week when it didn't go to SAO.

On the East Coast, several European airlines are candidates and I seem to remember BA operating fifth freedom to Mexico. Let's go with BA LHR-IAD-MEX certain days of the week with a 747. I also think I remember LH operating its FRA-BOS flight to various points beyond (i.e. PHL certain days of the week). So, let me guess that the final flight is LH FRA-BOS-MEX with a 747 Combi.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Herb687
I believe there was a time that JAL operated a tag to MEX off of one of its flights to California. I know they had an LAX-SAO tag at one point in time. So I will guess NRT-LAX-MEX on a JL 747. Maybe on alternating days of the week when it didn't go to SAO.

On the East Coast, several European airlines are candidates and I seem to remember BA operating fifth freedom to Mexico. Let's go with BA LHR-IAD-MEX certain days of the week with a 747. I also think I remember LH operating its FRA-BOS flight to various points beyond (i.e. PHL certain days of the week). So, let me guess that the final flight is LH FRA-BOS-MEX with a 747 Combi.
JAL did fly a TYO (HND or NRT?) - YVR - MEX later.

I have differing opinions besides LH FRA-BOS-MEX 747 Combi. Mine are:

KLM DC8 AMS-IAH-MEX with local traffic rights for Houston - Mexico City

and two probably wrong answers

British Airways VC-10 LHR - JFK - GDL (Guadalajara)
British Airways 707 LHR - IAH - MID (Merida)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Ok, so we know it's not Eithopean Air Lines and MEA, according to me, and Sudan and PIA, according to WHBM.

Let's check with the ticket counters of El Al and Olympic!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BA
Although I really doubt they show up as such in the timetable, another very regular 720 operator into Heathrow by the summer of 1972 would be Aer Lingus. They still had their two original 720 turbojets until the end of the year, they were regarded somewhat as spare aircraft but could turn up whenever, and while the Dublin to Heathrow service was likely shown as all 737, if there was any disorganisation - fog, strikes, pre-Christmas rush, etc, and a passenger backlog developed on the frequent service, then a 720 would be assigned to work maybe multiple round trips to London and back to help clear things up.

It's still like that nearly 50 years on, and if these same events disrupt things nowadays it's common for an Aer Lingsus A330 to do a couple of round trips to Heathrow. In the intervening years it was even their 747s on occasion.

For decades now Dublin has been London's busiest short haul destination by passenger numbers, and New York the long haul one. I believe Dublin retains it's position, but for long haul, this year, amazingly Dubai has actually overtaken New York.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following quiz items have a time line from the spring of 1976

39. You live in Athens, GA. And have just finished your junior year at the University of Georgia. (Go Dawgs!) It’s time to head up to Anchorage for a summer of work at a rural fishing lodge. Seeing that you’ve a choice of two 2-stop direct flights from ATL to Anchorage, you select the morning departure. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft to be flown upon.

41. It’s been a nice couple of weeks off, but now it’s time to fly back up to Prudhoe Bay and resume your job building pump station number two of the Trans Alaska Pipeline System (which is due to be completed just over a year from now). There are no direct flights from Juneau to Prudhoe but it is possible to make a single connection via the same airline all the way through. The first flight makes a single stop enroute to the connection point. From there you switch to a different type of airplane and continue on nonstop to Prudhoe Bay. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops (including the connecting stop) and the two aircraft types involved.
39. This sure sounds like Northwest. If so, equipment may have been a DC-10 (probably a series 40). As for the stops, I'll guess the usual suspects: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) and Seattle (SEA). And BTW, I believe one could have actually started their journey directly from Athens, GA (AHN) back then by boarding a Southern Airways Martin 404 for the short hop over to ATL.

And speaking of Alaska....

41. I do not believe Alaska Airlines was serving Prudhoe Bay at this time. So that leaves Wien Air Alaska which I believe pioneered Boeing 737-200 service into Prudhoe Bay from Anchorage and Fairbanks. In this case, I think the connecting point would have been Fairbanks. And that means the Wien flight from Juneau may have been operated with a Fairchild F-27 with this service making an intermediate stop at Whitehorse. BTW, the last time I flew into Prudhoe Bay, I was on board a B737-200 Combi operated by MarkAir. I was en route from Barrow to Anchorage and the flight made an intermediate stop at Prudhoe Bay. And shortly after departing from Barrow, we were served a snack which consisted of one (1) ice cream bar.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 3, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: corrected my jet-lagged guess
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Guess who have (plural) been in a Comet recently !
I have a feeling it was a couple of guys who were also inside of a Concorde on the very same day.......

And in fact, one of them also saw an A380 and a Concorde in close proximity shortly before yet another aircraft type he was on board began its take off roll. I wonder what airport that was.......
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses.
Flights are a bit behind and time I ad planned for internet use is not there this afternoon.
I will address some or all of your responses either later this evening or tomorrow morning (Alaska time)
Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good morning from chilly Alaska. 9 degrees last night (about -13C). It felt cold when we landed in Fairbanks at near 1:00am because most of the month of March has seen temps in the 40s during the day and 20s-30s at night. I had a great ride from Juneau down to Ketchikan aboard the M.V. Malaspina. It was sunny everyday and I even saw a pod of whales breaching just 100 yards off our bow. Adding a ribbon and bow to the whole package, my Oakland A's beat the world champion Boston Red Sox 1-0, their second shut out win in two nights. We had great seats - about 20 rows up behind home plate. I was upgraded on all of my flights back to FAI and, as an added bonus, logged a flight aboard N214AK - a one month old 737-990ER.

Next week it's on to El Paso Texas where I've got a room reserved aboard Amtrak's Sunset Limited for the 25 hour journey east to Lafayette, LA where I suspect a deliciously chilled Cajun Bloody Mary may await.

But enough of me! Let's get to your responses! ^

Originally Posted by jrl767
18A. Identify the longest nonstop 727 flight (regardless of variant) in Canada

"not AC" by default implies CPAir, but I fear you might have given the harder part away (I was actually going to guess the only other reasonable possibility for a longer TCAN -- Ottawa/YOW) ... Vancouver to Montreal

I reckon I did, that - I was hoping you might be distracted by flights to the Canadian Arctic with Pacific Western or First Air. CP Air into YUL is correct though.

CP Air CP 65 Montreal (YUL) 700p-915p Vancouver (YVR) 727-100 Dinner and Snack Daily 2290 miles

18B. Identify the longest nonstop 727 flight (regardless of variant) in the U.S.

You identified this one earlier. EA operated three daily or mostly daily flights. Here's the evening flight:

Eastern EA 85 Atlanta (ATL) 750p-926p Los Angeles (LAX) 727-100 Dinner Daily 1940 miles

This engenders a BONUS QUESTION 18C: Can anyone here remember three even longer 727 flights within the U.S.? Each has been discussed here within the pages of the OTAQ&D

20. Hilo, Hawaii is well served by four airlines offering direct or nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland. Only one of these airlines serves ITO with a wide-bodied jet. Identify the airline and the type of jet.

Going back in the thread a few years, I seem to remember a discussion about Braniff operating 707-320s into Hilo ... perhaps they upgauged to a 747 at some point

Maybe they did - on a charter - but alas, never with scheduled service. The search continues for a different airline (and we're running out of options as NW, BN and UA have all been removed from the board. Good luck, J ^

And here's another BONUS QUESTION 18D: Everybody knows that Braniff's original 747 was painted orange - as were subsequent variants a few years later. However, Braniff originally ordered TWO 747-127s and the second one was planned to wear a different color. What color was it and what airline did it end up being delivered to (not as a -127)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
20- hmmmmmmm ... as I don’t recall Continental operating into ITO, I’m guessing it must have been Pan Am

(posted from the JFK T2 SkyClub as I am waiting to board N870DN home to SEA)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Toshbaf and WHBM have suggested Ethiopian, MEA, Sudan and PIA. As promised, I went back and reviewed the schedules. Here are the results:

Ethiopian from Addis Ababa: No service to London from ADD
MEA from Beirut: MEA operated 707s on this run
Sudan Airways from Khartoum: SD operated Comets on this route
PIA from Karachi et al: Possibly. PIA's equipment is listed only as "JET"
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

I always found it surprising that 720s had the range to do transatlantic but Avianca flew 720s to Europe. So I am going to guess AV as one of the two operators of 720s at LHR. Probably as the tag end of a flight that first made European landfall at MAD.

Welcome to the quiz, Herb! It's always good to have another knowledgeable participant - after all, how many people are even aware Avianca flew its 720Bs transatlantic? As to AV operating into London, a quick check of the schedules reveals that AV was not yet serving London in 1972. Its 720Bs would come up from Bogota along the following routing: BOG-SJU-MAD-ORY. From Paris the flight would continue on to either FRA or ZRH.

So, the search continues! Please, guess again!

42. (1976) There are three Fifth Freedom flights from the U.S. to Mexico. Each flight is operated by an airline not from the U.S. or Mexico. Each flight departs from a different U.S. city and each flight arrives in a different Mexican city. Each flight operates with a different type of equipment. Two different airlines are involved. Your job is to identify the three flights; determining each route, airline and aircraft. Buena suerte, Señor!

All good guesses, Herb, and at different times in our history they may well have been correct. In the spring of 1976 however, we are looking for two different airlines - one of which was European. As a reminder, each flight was operated with a different type of equipment. Please, deposit another quarter and guess again! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.