Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Good show there, Seat 2A!

Plus good evening from London where earlier today for the first time in my life I visited LCY via the DLR. And I thought BUR was a compact little airfield!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
23. Aside from Delta’s flights, if you wanted to fly aboard a Convair 880 out of Miami during the summer of 1972, only one other airline offered scheduled flights. Identify that airline and the destination it served.
It's not LANICA...

As to the other Convair 880 operator at MIA in summer 1972, "not NI" is rather a surprise ... let's say VIASA, serving Caracas (CCS) (perhaps with a stop at Maracaibo (MAR) in one or the other direction)

As to no NI being surprising, I agree - so much so that I went back to double check the schedules up from Managua. Alas, nothing had changed. Lanica continued to operate a different type of jet on the route. The airline we're looking for - I can't seem to find any pictures of its 880 n the internet, but the equipment is clearly marked as such in both the schedule pages as well as this airline's advertising page in the rear of the OAG.

So, the search continues... Buena suerte, Senor L.

P.S. It wasn't VIASA either.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
23- my VIASA guess should have been disqualified immediately, since neither CCS nor MAR would have appeared in the North American OAG ... that said, I can’t place 880s with any other Central American carrier, so (despite the comment about no pix on the web) I’m left with TWA (who I know had the type in their fleet until at least the spring of 1974); their MIA service was from St. Louis (STL), with some flights serving Nashville (BNA) and/or Atlanta (ATL) on the way

it also makes sense that the back section of the OAG contained advertising for TW

can I get bonus points for identifying the NI equipment as a BAC 1-11?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
38. Consider all of the jet aircraft types currently flying scheduled flights within the U.S. and Canada in 1976. Now then, identify the two jet aircraft types that do not fly into Mexico from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.

another stab at it (first stab was Fokker 28, which was correct, and the BAC One-Eleven, which was incorrect)...

Boeing 720 (very well could be wrong if Western flew them to MEX)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:04 pm
Suspended

. Hilo, Hawaii is well served by four airlines offering direct or nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland. Only one of these airlines serves ITO with a wide-bodied jet. Identify the airline and the type of jet.

Using brain power alone....Northwest Orient Airlines, DC-10-40
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
23- My VIASA guess should have been disqualified immediately, since neither CCS nor MAR would have appeared in the North American OAG ...

Who said anything about "North American" OAGs? The only header for questions 23-35 is The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972 . Most all of those particular questions address international flights (although a North American connecting flight might be part of the question/answer) so I thought it a bit redundant to indicate the questions were from a N.A. OAG (Even though I have done so in the past. I'm changing my ways...)

Additionally, VIASA 880s used to appear in the NA OAG when they came up to MIA from KIN. They'd also show up on routes like AUA-SJU. I'm thinking VIASA had moved on from the 880 by 1972. The CCS-MIA route, well suited for the 880 in terms of distance, was served exclusively by VA's DC-8s per the 1972 schedules I referenced for this question..

I don't think I've ever seen a TWA 880 scheduled into MIA. Certainly it would have had the legs for STL-MIA, but again, I've never seen it, including in my 1972 International OAG where it would have shown up as a connecting flight from STL. It didn't. For what it's worth, the 880 carrier we're looking for is from Latin America...

Can I get bonus points for identifying the NI equipment as a BAC 1-11?

You can get a cyber pat on the back and maybe a beer next time our paths should cross...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 29, 2019 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
38. Consider all of the jet aircraft types currently flying scheduled flights within the U.S. and Canada in 1976. Now then, identify the two jet aircraft types that do not fly into Mexico from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.

Another stab at it (first stab was Fokker 28, which was correct, and the BAC One-Eleven, which was incorrect)... Boeing 720 (very well could be wrong if Western flew them to MEX)

Unfortunately, you are wrong as Western did still operate the 720 on the LAX-SAN-MEX run.

20. Hilo, Hawaii is well served by four airlines offering direct or nonstop flights from the U.S. mainland. Only one of these airlines serves ITO with a wide-bodied jet. Identify the airline and the type of jet.

Using brain power alone....Northwest Orient Airlines, DC-10-40

Ideally, that's how it should be - the brain power bit, that is. As to Northwest, I don't believe they started flying their DC-10s out to Hawaii until later in the 70s or possibly even into the 80s. It was all 747s for them by 1973. In any event - we're looking for a different airline here - one that did not operate the DC-10 into Hilo in 1973. Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Good show there, Seat 2A! Plus good evening from London where earlier today for the first time in my life I visited LCY via the DLR. And I thought BUR was a compact little airfield!
Good to hear you're having a good go of it across the pond, JL. ^ Say hello to WHBM for us all - and/or any other of our British brethren that you might encounter. KT550 and rosensfole come to mind, and possibly MADPhil, though I think he might live over on this side of the Atlantic these days. Should you encounter some down time with nothing better to do, we're here for you with about 35 unanswered questions yet to go.

And now, I'm gonna call it a night - at least as far as the OTAQ&D goes. I've got to pack yet and then somehow find a way to get up at 6:15am (My normal time in the summer, but quite a challenge this time of year) for my flights down to Juneau. I'll have good internet from 1000 to 1430 ADT, and maybe even a short bit from 1930-2000 tomorrow evening. After that, it's onto the M.V. Malaspina until 1330 on Monday. There's no Wi-Fi aboard the boat.

Upon arrival in Ketchikan, I should be able to address a few responses Monday afternoon. Then it's down to Seattle for the night (where I will once again have internet access). Tuesday morning's good but from noon on I'll be flying to SFO, hanging with buddies in some local watering hole of their choosing, and then going to the Oakland Coliseum for the A's - Red Sox game. Wednesday, I probably won't have consistent internet access until I get back to Seattle where I've a long layover until my 7:55pm flight up to Alaska.

So, if you all are patient enough to put up with my spotty internet access over the next few days, I look forward to addressing your collective responses. ^
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... spring of 1976
36. You’re perusing the pages of your favorite reference book (North American version) when you come across a schedule that makes your eyes bug out almost as much as those of the late actor Marty Feldman. To wit – there’s an airline that still operates flights with the venerable Lockheed L-049 Constellation. It’s not a very long flight, and it appears to be offered on only a single route from that airline’s home base to another nearby city. Can you identify the airline and the route?
36- Aerovias Quisqueyana; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

I discovered these flights in the fall of 1973 while perusing OAGs in a campus library ... I tried valiantly to persuade my parents to let me make a DC-SJU trip during the time between fall finals (~18 Dec) and the start of spring classes (~21 Jan), but I suspect that the fact that I was trying to finagle a Delta 880, a Pan Am 707, and an Air France Caravelle into the itinerary may have contributed to the lack of success ...

(this is evidently where I got the “North American OAG” conflated with the other question)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:41 am
Suspended

>>Already know the Fokker 28 is one of them. I will continue to use conjecture + brain power even if I have to guess the Airbus A380 eventually! Next answer: Boeing 737

. If in the autumn of 1972 you wanted to fly First Class from Reykjavik, Iceland to London – there was only one choice, operating nonstop twice weekly. Identify the airline and aircraft you’d be flying upon.

>> It has to be BEA on a Trident.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

36. You’re perusing the pages of your favorite reference book (North American version) when you come across a schedule that makes your eyes bug out almost as much as those of the late actor Marty Feldman. To wit – there’s an airline that still operates flights with the venerable Lockheed L-049 Constellation. It’s not a very long flight, and it appears to be offered on only a single route from that airline’s home base to another nearby city. Can you identify the airline and the route?

Aerovias Quisqueyana; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ) to/from San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

Correct-a-mundo! Here's the schedules:

Quisqueyana QQ 201 Santo Domingo (SDQ) 1000a-1100a San Juan (SJU) Connie Daily
Quisqueyana QQ 202 San Juan (SJU) 100p-200p Santo Domingo (SDQ) Connie Daily

Quisqueyana QQ 203 Santo Domingo (SDQ) 330p-430p San Juan (SJU) Connie We Fr Sun
Quisqueyana QQ 204 San Juan (SJU) 600p-700p Santo Domingo (SDQ) Connie We Fr Sun

I discovered these flights in the fall of 1973 while perusing OAGs in a campus library ... I tried valiantly to persuade my parents to let me make a DC-SJU trip during the time between fall finals (~18 Dec) and the start of spring classes (~21 Jan), but I suspect that the fact that I was trying to finagle a Delta 880, a Pan Am 707, and an Air France Caravelle into the itinerary may have contributed to the lack of success ...

How did your parents feel about the apparent primary motivation for your trip being flights aboard various aircraft? Did you just fly out of Ithaca or drive down to the city?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Already know the Fokker 28 is one of them. I will continue to use conjecture + brain power even if I have to guess the Airbus A380 eventually! Next answer: Boeing 737

Right on, Toshbaf! The 737 it was. Keep in mind that back in 1976 the only 737s out there were the -100/-200 models. Perhaps the plane was viewed as too small by WA... Everyone else (AA, BN, EA, PA, RW, TI, AM & MX did not have 737-200s in their fleets just yet and the same was generally true of the 5th freedom operators that offered flights to/from the U.S.

27. If in the autumn of 1972 you wanted to fly First Class from Reykjavik, Iceland to London – there was only one choice, operating nonstop twice weekly. Identify the airline and aircraft you’d be flying upon.

It has to be BEA on a Trident.

Indeed it was! ^ Here's the schedule:

BEA BE 789 Reykjavik (REK) 255p-625p London (LHR) Trident We Su
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Good to hear you're having a good go of it across the pond, JL. ^ Say hello to WHBM for us all - and/or any other of our British brethren that you might encounter. KT550 and rosensfole come to mind, and possibly MADPhil, though I think he might live over on this side of the Atlantic these days. Should you encounter some down time with nothing better to do, we're here for you with about 35 unanswered questions yet to go.
It's been a long time since Yeadon was my local airport. I had my first two flights from there but they were CCF joyrides not commercial. My local has been MSN for a long time now with MUC, OXF and RDU in between. I was in North Yorkshire last week though.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

The following quiz items have a time line from the summer of 1972

26. With the oppressive heat and humidity coming off the nearby Gulf of Mexico, Houston is absolutely miserable in the summer. London by comparison is much more pleasant and its West End theater district is vastly superior to anything available in Houston. Why not head across the pond for a few days’ vacation? Although there are no nonstop flights, a single airline does offer a direct one stop flight departing IAH each day in the early afternoon. Name the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.
32. I’ve been able to find only one airline in the world that in 1973 operated three different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners (I’m not including variants such as a 727-100 vs a 727-200. We’re looking at only the base models) at the same time. Each aircraft type is manufactured by a different company. Identify the airline and the three aircraft types. Additionally, if you should think of any other airlines operating 3 or more 4-engine aircraft at the same time, I would be happy to verify it.
26. Here's my thought process. BOAC - doesn't serve Houston. TWA - same thing. Pan Am - IAH service are to foreign airports to the south, not Europe. Delta/PA, Braniff/PA interchanges possible. Air Canada and Icelandair - no IAH service. But wait....

National Airlines 747 via Miami

32. Able to find one airline? Maybe there are two?

BEA (British European Airways)

Boeing 707
deHavilland Comet
Hawker Siddeley Trident 3E
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

26. With the oppressive heat and humidity coming off the nearby Gulf of Mexico, Houston is absolutely miserable in the summer. London by comparison is much more pleasant and its West End theater district is vastly superior to anything available in Houston. Why not head across the pond for a few days’ vacation? Although there are no nonstop flights, a single airline does offer a direct one stop flight departing IAH each day in the early afternoon. Name the airline, the aircraft and the intermediate stop.

National Airlines 747 via Miami

You've got the right airline and routing but the wrong aircraft. In National's case though, it's pretty easy to figure out what the option would be if it weren't a 747...

Yeah, right! That'd be a DC-8-50 we're looking for, but I do thin the 1011 looks pretty nice in the Sun King livery

32. I’ve been able to find only one airline in the world that in 1973 operated three different types of four engine narrow bodied jetliners (I’m not including variants such as a 727-100 vs a 727-200. We’re looking at only the base models) at the same time. Each aircraft type is manufactured by a different company. Identify the airline and the three aircraft types. Additionally, if you should think of any other airlines operating 3 or more 4-engine aircraft at the same time, I would be happy to verify it.

Able to find one airline? Maybe there are two?

BEA (British European Airways)
Boeing 707
deHavilland Comet
Hawker Siddeley Trident 3E

That's really pushing it to call that little auxiliary engine in the rear of the aircraft an engine. I mean, yes, technically it is, but...

Perhaps I should re-phrase this question to: "airlines operating 3 or more 4-engine aircraft where the engines are more than 10000 lbs thrust " In any event, that's what I'm looking for here. Additionally, I don't believe BEA ever operated the 707 in its regularly scheduled services. Its subsidiary BEA Airtours did. Still looking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.