Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

And speaking of France, how about a bonus quiz item?

In the fall of 1993, it was possible to fly directly with no change of plane from Lyon (LYS) to Ottawa (YOW). The service only operated twice a week and two intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.
Still looking for the correct answer here.....and now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 1, 2019 at 4:06 pm Reason: answer update
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The time line for our fifth freedom quiz is the fall of 1994 using the North American OAG which covers all scheduled passenger flights in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as well as virtually all of the islands in the Caribbean plus the Bahamas and Bermuda. Please note that airline flights for Central America and South America are not included in this OAG.

The following is a list of air carriers to include the respective equipment they operated on fifth freedom services in North America as well as the frequency of these flights. In every case, we are looking for the specific city pairs served. So here we go.....

3. COPA (CM) - Boeing 737-200 operating daily This flight was operated in the Caribbean

5. Lufthansa (LH) - Airbus A340 operating between one city and two different destinations, the first route served once a week and the second route served twice a week Antigua (ANU) - San Juan (SJU) twice a week and _________ - San Juan (SJU) once a week. Still looking for one more island destination here.
And still looking to close out these two as well....
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
In the fall of 1993, it was possible to fly directly with no change of plane from Lyon (LYS) to Ottawa (YOW). The service only operated twice a week and two intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.
The airline wasn't Air Transat, Nationair or Canada 3000, the first stop was not made in Bordeaux, Brussels or Nantes, and aircraft type wasn't an L1011, Super DC-8 or A310. The second stop was made at Montreal Mirabel (YMX).

Any chance this could have been a French airline? If so, how about Air Liberte with a DC-10-30...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The airline wasn't Air Transat, Nationair or Canada 3000, the first stop was not made in Bordeaux, Brussels or Nantes, and aircraft type wasn't an L1011, Super DC-8 or A310. The second stop was made at Montreal Mirabel (YMX).

Any chance this could have been a French airline? If so, how about Air Liberte with a DC-10-30...
and if so I suspect the first stop would have been Paris Orly (ORY)
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Well, I was curious if someone might throw a French air carrier into the mix.....but it wasn't Air Liberte nor was the aircraft a DC-10-30. Plus, we are still looking for the first stop as well.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

and if so I suspect the first stop would have been Paris Orly (ORY)
And there's the guess concerning the first stop.....however, it wasn't Paris Orly.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
[QUOTEIn the fall of 1993, it was possible to fly directly with no change of plane from Lyon (LYS) to Ottawa (YOW). The service only operated twice a week and two intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.
[/QUOTE]

The YOW terminus makes me think it has to be a Canadian airline as YOW just isn't and IIRC never was a port of call for any international airline from outside North America in the past few decades. The other airline in that era that ventured to Europe was Royal Airlines. Since the equipment wasn't an A310 or L-1011, it would have been a 757-200. How 'bout a route of LYS-PIK (Prestwick)-YMX-YOW?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
[QUOTE[b]In the fall of 1993, it was possible to fly directly with no change of plane from Lyon (LYS) to Ottawa (YOW). The service only operated twice a week and two intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the airline, the two stops and the equipment.

The YOW terminus makes me think it has to be a Canadian airline as YOW just isn't and IIRC never was a port of call for any international airline from outside North America in the past few decades. The other airline in that era that ventured to Europe was Royal Airlines. Since the equipment wasn't an A310 or L-1011, it would have been a 757-200. How 'bout a route of LYS-PIK (Prestwick)-YMX-YOW?
Ah, it wasn't Royal Airlines, the aircraft wasn't an ETOPS capable B757-200 and the first stop was not made at Prestwick (or anywhere else in Scotland)......

And by the way, KLM was operating B767-300 service three days a week into Ottawa with a routing of AMS - YHZ - YOW at this same time (this service using a KL flight number was actually operated by Martinair (MP) for KLM); however, the flight we are looking for was not operated by KLM or Martinair.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA
(sigh) . Corsair 747. First stop Paris CDG.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
(sigh) . Corsair 747. First stop Paris CDG.
Well.....no. In fact, the air carrier in question wasn't based in France.

And here are two other hints: the first stop was made in the UK (but not in Scotland) and the equipment was smaller than a 747.

So how much snow did LCY receive?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm starting to think the obvious is being missed: Air Canada, -LYS-London Heathrow-YMX-YOW, 767....-200.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm starting to think the obvious is being missed: Air Canada, -LYS-London Heathrow-YMX-YOW, 767....-200.
Correct! Here's the sched....

AC 865: Lyon (LYS) 11:40 - 12:15 London Heathrow (LHR) 13:00 - 15:30 Montreal Mirabel (YMX) 16:15 (est.) - 16:44 Ottawa (YOW)
Freq: Wednesdays and Fridays only
Equip: 767
Service classes: F/J/Y

The YMX-YOW portion of the sched does not appear in the Worldwide OAG so I have provided an estimate of the departure time from YMX.

It also appears that Air Canada was permitted to carry local traffic from LYS to LHR as that schedule is listed in the Worldwide OAG and no traffic restrictions are noted.

I believe the aircraft was a B767-233ER with ten seats in First Class in a 2-2-1 configuration (the seats on the G side were the stand alone aisle-window first class seats), 30 seats in Executive Class (J) in a 2-2-2 configuration, and 123 seats in Hospitality Class (Y). This is the three class 767 seating configuration for Air Canada that shows up in the Aircraft Seat Chart section of the Worldwide OAG in the fall of 1993.

AC 865 also originated in other European cities depending on the day of the week. Once a week the flight originated in Nice operating a routing of NCE-LHR-YMX-YOW. And on another day of the week the flight originated in Duesseldorf operating a routing of DUS-LHR-YMX-YOW. In addition, once a week the flight continued on from Ottawa to Toronto (YYZ) with this particular flight originating at London Heathrow.

The LHR-YMX-YOW portion of the flight was operated on a daily basis and was the only direct service at this time from London to Ottawa.

However, British Airways, apparently not wanting to concede the battle for lucrative traffic from LHR to YOW, responded forcefully by the next year with their own special service from London Heathrow to Ottawa via a well timed connection at Montreal Mirabel with the LHR to YMX portion of the flight being operated with a B747-400.

Here's the BA sched for that connecting service in 1994....

BA 9795: Montreal Mirabel (YMX) 3:10p - 5:10p Ottawa (YOW)
Freq: Daily
Equip: BUS
Note: No local traffic permitted on BA 9795 YMX-YOW

Unfortunately, I do not believe three class service was offered on the bus from YMX to YOW.....
Seat 2A and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, the BA bus ran for quite a few years, possibly into the 2000s though one would have thought there may have been a codeshare with CP by then. CP started YOW-LHR service at least by 1997 with 767-300ERs. That was one of my fastest eastbound TATL flights (< 5 hrs IIRC) due to strong tailwinds: The flight was held back leaving YOW so as not to arrive at LHR early to join the 1000 bomber raid.

I wonder if the AC flight just dropped off disembarking pax at YMX (and YOW on the days it flew on to YYZ) as there would likely not have been enough time for immigration clearance.

Had no idea KL (albeit through Martinair) serviced YOW and YHZ.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the AC flight just dropped off disembarking pax at YMX (and YOW on the days it flew on to YYZ) as there would likely not have been enough time for immigration clearance.

Had no idea KL (albeit through Martinair) serviced YOW and YHZ.
Looking at the estimated 45 minute turn time for AC 865 at YMX, I think this very likely with no local traffic being boarded at Montreal Mirabel for the short hop to Ottawa. However, this is conjecture on my part, to be sure.

And as for the KLM service from Amsterdam to Ottawa, here's the sched from the Worldwide OAG....

KL 675: Amsterdam (AMS) 11:05 - 13:00 Halifax (YHZ) 14:00 (est.) - 14:45 Ottawa (YOW)
Freq: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Equip: 763
Service classes: C/Y
Note: "KL 675 OP WITH MP AIRCRAFT"

The Worldwide OAG does not list the YHZ-YOW leg so I have estimated the departure time from YHZ.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The time line for our fifth freedom quiz is the fall of 1994 using the North American OAG which covers all scheduled passenger flights in the U.S., Canada and Mexico as well as virtually all of the islands in the Caribbean plus the Bahamas and Bermuda. Please note that airline flights for Central America and South America are not included in this OAG.

The following is a list of air carriers to include the respective equipment they operated on fifth freedom services in North America as well as the frequency of these flights. In every case, we are looking for the specific city pairs served. So here we go.....

3. COPA (CM) - Boeing 737-200 operating daily This flight was operated in the Caribbean

5. Lufthansa (LH) - Airbus A340 operating between one city and two different destinations, the first route served once a week and the second route served twice a week ANSWERED
Last call for the above! And I'll provide the answer for # 3 tomorrow evening should it not receive any responses.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 2, 2019 at 12:18 pm Reason: answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.