Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Electra Service

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Reeve and Air Florida would be correct. There were two more in Canada and one more in the U.S.
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when Northwest and Western ceased operating their respective Electra aircraft?

I know that by and large WA replaced their Electra service to small cities in the west with B737-200s but I'm not sure when the last turboprop left their fleet....
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jlemon
Out of curiosity, does anyone know when Northwest and Western ceased operating their respective Electra aircraft?

I know that by and large WA replaced their Electra service to small cities in the west with B737-200s but I'm not sure when the last turboprop left their fleet....
NW May 1972
WA August 1972
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Maybe some day United can bring back Royal Hawiian Service, especially EWR-HNL where in Y you do not even get a cracker.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'll go ahead and answer the last three questions from my Jan. 8 post....

10) LIAT (Leeward Island Air Transport) operated the stretched BAC One-Eleven 500 series twinjet in the Caribbean. And this choice of aircraft nearly put them out of business as the BAC 1-11 was too big and too costly for most of their interisland routes. LIAT currently operates Dash 8 series 300 turboprops. And depending on who you talk to, their name really stands for either "Leave Island at Any Time" or "Luggage In Another Terminal". Actually, I've flown with them several times and they weren't that bad (unless one had to make a tight connection to another airline at SJU)....

11) Braniff International operated a BAC One-Eleven which they named "Little Precious". Besides flying in scheduled service, BN also used this aircraft as a business jet for their management employees from time to time.

15) And the city is......Houston.

The first "cross town" airline was Houston Metro operating the DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprop. The airline constructed their own STOL landing strip and terminal (which even had a bar) in a cow pasture adjacent to Clear Lake City (CLC) near the NASA space center in order to shuttle passengers to and from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) which had replaced Houston Hobby (HOU) at the time as the primary airline airport.

The second "cross town" operation was flown by Emerald Air between IAH and HOU with a DC-9 operated under contract to Continental as the "Houston Proud Express" (the airplane was painted in Continental colors). Later on, CO flew their mainline B737-300s between IAH and HOU (I was on one of these flights that only had 12 passengers on board so they moved all of us up to first class). In addition, Continental Connection (or was it CO Express?) flew the Beechcraft 1900D between IAH and HOU. I enjoyed leaning out into the aisle of this twin turboprop and watching the landing through the flight deck windows as there was no door separating the cockpit from the pax cabin.

The third and final "cross town" operation was flown by Continental Express between IAH and Ellington Field (EFD, which is a former Air Force base located near the Johnson Space Center). Initially, I believe ATR-42s were used which were subsequently replaced with Continental Express Embraer ERJ-135 regional jets operated by ExpressJet. I flew between EFD and IAH many times on board the ERJ-135 while making connections at IAH to and from CO mainline flights.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm Reason: spelling & etc.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by N702ML
Actually only two airlines merged in 1979 to form Republic: Southern and North Central. Hughes Airwest was not acquired until October 1980.
Point of trivia:

I have flown out on North Central paint and made the return on Republic paint, flown out in Republic paint and returned on NW paint, and flown out on NW paint and returned on DL paint.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CALlegacy
Point of trivia:

I have flown out on North Central paint and made the return on Republic paint, flown out in Republic paint and returned on NW paint, and flown out on NW paint and returned on DL paint.
And according to the Wall Street Journal, DL is now looking at possibly acquiring AA......
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
LIAT currently operates Dash 8 series 300 turboprops. And depending on who you talk to, their name really stands for either "Leave Island at Any Time" or "Luggage In Another Terminal".
My favorite nickname from the Caribbean was BWIA, otherwise known as

Britain's Worst Investment Abroad
or
Better Walk Instead Airlines

Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My favorite nickname from the Caribbean was BWIA, otherwise known as

Britain's Worst Investment Abroad
or
Better Walk Instead Airlines

Also up in Canada, being Pacific Western Airlines....

a.k.a. PWA: "Probably Won't Arrive"....

Note: I never have flown on either BWIA (which is now Caribbean Airlines but was also known as Bee-Wee back when it was BWIA) or Pacific Western so I really cannot comment concerning these carriers.....but I was tickled by the nickname for PWA!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:14 pm
Suspended

I'll go ahead and answer the last three questions from my Jan. 8 post....
15) And the city is......Houston.

The first "cross town" airline was Houston Metro operating the DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprop. The airline constructed their own STOL landing strip and terminal (which even had a bar) in a cow pasture adjacent to Clear Lake City (CLC) near the NASA space center in order to shuttle passengers to and from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) which had replaced Houston Hobby (HOU) at the time as the primary airline airport.

The second "cross town" operation was flown by Emerald Air between IAH and HOU with a DC-9 operated under contract to Continental as the "Houston Proud Express" (the airplane was painted in Continental colors). Later on, CO flew their mainline B737-300s between IAH and HOU (I was on one of these flights that only had 12 passengers on board so they moved all of us up to first class). In addition, Continental Connection (or was it CO Express?) flew the Beechcraft 1900D between IAH and HOU. I enjoyed leaning out into the aisle of this twin turboprop and watching the landing through the flight deck windows as there was no door separating the cockpit from the pax cabin.

The third and final "cross town" operation was flown by Continental Express between IAH and Ellington Field (EFD, which is a former Air Force base located near the Johnson Space Center). Initially, I believe ATR-42s were used which were subsequently replaced with Continental Express Embraer ERJ-135 regional jets operated by ExpressJet. I flew between EFD and IAH many times on board the ERJ-135 while making connections at IAH to and from CO mainline flights.
What other crosstown flights were there?

I know United had San Francisco-Oakland service, sometimes continuing to Denver.

Orange County-Los Angeles service also existed.

How about JFK-Laguardia? Or Dulles-Washington National?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:25 pm
Suspended

1.)Pratt & Whitney's JT8D engine was the best selling powerplant of its day, perhaps of all time. Originally a military engine, it was introduced on Boeing's 727 in 1963. Over the years there were many increasingly powerful variants produced for the 727 and other aircraft. Here's the question:

What other commercial aircraft types did the JT8D power?
DC-9
MD-80

707 (only experimental)

some non-commercial aircraft, like the Saab Viggen fighter jet
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777-100SP
What other crosstown flights were there?

I know United had San Francisco-Oakland service, sometimes continuing to Denver.

Orange County-Los Angeles service also existed.

How about JFK-Laguardia? Or Dulles-Washington National?
I believe the UA SFO-OAK service was operated with a DC-8 and possibly later by a B727-200.

Both Alaska Airlines and Continental operated B727-200s between Burbank and Ontario. I believe the actual AS routing was SEA-ONT-BUR-SEA. And I think CO had a flight that operated SEA-PDX-SJC-BUR-ONT-ORD (I'll have to check an old OAG to verify this CO routing).

I also believe that Hughes Air West operated SFO-SJC with a DC-9.

In addition, I seem to recall that DL operated SAN-ONT with a 767. I believe the actual routing was SAN-ONT-ATL. Not quite "cross town" but close!

Another short range jet route in SoCal was SBA-LAX. UA operated 737s and 727s on the route. And later on, Pacific Express operated the BAC One-Eleven SBA-LAX. These days, American Eagle flies Embraer RJs SBA-LAX.

Not sure about the east coast airports you mention but I'm sure someone will chime in!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not sure about the east coast airports you mention but I'm sure someone will chime in!
UA (well, one of its regional subsidiaries) flew BWI-IAD not too long ago.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by 777-100SP
DC-9
MD-80

707 (only experimental)
There are two more commercial jetliners that used the JT8D...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Also up in Canada, being Pacific Western Airlines....

a.k.a. PWA: "Probably Won't Arrive"....

Note: I never have flown on either BWIA (which is now Caribbean Airlines but was also known as Bee-Wee back when it was BWIA) or Pacific Western so I really cannot comment concerning these carriers.....but I was tickled by the nickname for PWA!
PWA was also dubbed "Please Wait Awhile" but I always found them reliable enough. In that part of the world there are always going to be occasional IRROPS.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
There are two more commercial jetliners that used the JT8D...
I know one, the Dassault Mercure, the most successful airliner in the world. They sold 10 copies then converted the prototype to be the 11th. Air Inter was the only customer. Air France absorbed IT later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.