Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Here's a few more off the top of my head...

1.) American put a piano in the coach lounges of its 747 fleet. What airline installed "Pong" in the lounge tables aboard its widebody jets?

2.) Everybody knows that United, American, Delta and TWA operated 767-200s.
What are the other three U.S. passenger airlines that also flew the shorter 767-200?

3.) What major U.S. airport used to be known as "Wilcox Field"?

4.) Air Canada flew the 767-200. What other Canadian airline also operated the -200?

5.) Which commercial U.S. airport has the longest runway?
1. No idea!

2. Piedmont, USAir..... hmmm.....This is going to drive me crazy!

3. Miami

4. Pacific Western

5. Don't know.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N702ML
2. Piedmont, USAir..... hmmm.....This is going to drive me crazy!
Is it Continental? I know they have 767s, but I thought they were -300s.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I was a FA for 15 years at US, so both the aircraft and me were born in the 60s and flew around the northeast for US.
I logged a couple of flights aboard ship 965 while flying around on an Allegheny Airlines Liberty Fare ticket. I remember lunch in ERI's Red Baron Restaurant before boarding N965VJ on a cold and blustery afternoon in January 1977.

ERI ORD ALLEGHENY DC-9-30 N965VJ 390
ORD PIT ALLEGHENY DC-9-30 N965VJ 410

Per my notes, here is the disposition of that aircraft: WFU & Stored Mojave, CA 2001 > SOLD Alameda Metals Corp. 2002 (The latter is a euphemism for this airplane's being parted out and scrapped.)
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Is it Continental? I know they have 767s, but I thought they were -300s.
It is Continental! Their other 767s are -400s. CO ordered -324s but they were NTU and were instead delivered to Vietnam Airlines.

BTW, all of your other answers were correct except for the ones that you didn't know. Excellent!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: All of them!
#5--JFK or DEN?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
And here's several more questions as well, just to keep the ball rolling....

1) What airline operated scheduled Boeing 747 passenger service between Seattle and Fairbanks, Alaska?

2) Following the deregulation of the airline industry back in 1978 (thank you, Alfred Kahn), PSA expanded their route system out of California with international service as well as service to Colorado. What were these new destinations and what type of aircraft did PSA use to fly these routes?

3) Name two airlines that provided scheduled passenger jet service between Las Vegas and the south rim of the Grand Canyon and the respective aircraft types used for these services.

4) Which model of the Embraer 145 has winglets and what airline is the only U.S. based air carrier to operate this specific RJ model?

5) Name the airlines that participated in the various "interchange" flight agreements between Alaska and the lower 48 states.
Seat 2A did an excellent job answering these questions....

With regard to jet service to the south rim of the Grand Canyon from LAS, I did see a Hughes Air West DC-9-30 there one fine summer day that was full of Japanese tourists.

And Tristar Airlines operated the BAe 146 LAS-GCN. Seating was tight as the aircraft was configured with six abreast seating in an all coach layout.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
It is Continental! Their other 767s are -400s. CO ordered -324s but they were NTU and were instead delivered to Vietnam Airlines.

BTW, all of your other answers were correct except for the ones that you didn't know. Excellent!
Continental continues to operate the B767-200 and I believe these are some of the last of the series 200s that Boeing manufactured. Not too many years ago, I flew in one from LAX to IAH right after CO had taken delivery of the aircraft. The new UA (post merger with CO) has now apparently begun phasing these aircraft out of the fleet even though they are relatively young airframes. The old UA (pre merger) retired their B767-200s awhile back.

However, the B767-200 will continue to live on as a new build military aircraft operating as an aerial refueling tanker for the USAF as the KC-46.

And I have one question for Seat 2A: What is NTU?

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:24 pm Reason: one question
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Time for more questions on a beautiful, spring-like Saturday afternoon here in south Louisiana!

1) It has been mentioned above that United flew the DC-8 into Fresno, CA (FAT). However, did UA ever operate the stretched DC-8 Super 60 series into FAT on a scheduled basis?

2) KLM operated a version of the 747 that very closely resembled the 747-300. However, these 747s were actually not 300 series aircraft. What was their actual Boeing designation and why did they receive this designation?

3) What airline operated Convair 580 turboprops into Gallup, New Mexico (GUP)?

4) Allegheny Airlines operated the BAC One-Eleven but did not originally purchase these British twinjets. What was the name of the airline that did purchase these BAC 1-11 aircraft new?

5) Name three airlines that operated jet aircraft into Stockton, CA (SCK) in the late 70s and also name the aircraft.

6) At one point, Northwest operated daily scheduled 747 service between MSP and JFK that made two stops en route. What were the two cities were served by these intermediate stops?

7) Also at one point, Western operated daily scheduled 737 service from Palm Springs, CA (PSP) to MSP that made no less than six (6) stops en route. What were the six cities served by these intermediate stops?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
See embedded answers
Time for more questions on a beautiful, spring-like Saturday afternoon here in south Louisiana!

2) KLM operated a version of the 747 that very closely resembled the 747-300. However, these 747s were actually not 300 series aircraft. What was their actual Boeing designation and why did they receive this designation?

747-200SUD for stretched upper deck

Guessing, Frontier, not the current Fronteir

4) Allegheny Airlines operated the BAC One-Eleven but did not originally purchase these British twinjets. What was the name of the airline that did purchase these BAC 1-11 aircraft new?

Mohawk

\
Am I correct?

Let me add one since I don't know if I am correct for the above.

What was the name of the terminal situated where Terminal 1 at JFK is located now?

Who designed Terminal 6 at JFK, formerly called TWA domestic terminal? That building still is in active use. What was the original name? It wasn't TWA but another airline.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
See embedded answers

Am I correct?

Let me add one since I don't know if I am correct for the above.

What was the name of the terminal situated where Terminal 1 at JFK is located now?

Who designed Terminal 6 at JFK, formerly called TWA domestic terminal? That building still is in active use. What was the original name? It wasn't TWA but another airline.
Correct on all answers!

I believe that KLM actually returned their B747-200s to Boeing in order for the stretched upper deck (SUD) modifications to be accomplished.

I also seem to recall that Allegheny purchased a number of additional, used BAC One-Eleven aircraft after they acquired Mohawk and thus increased their fleet of these interesting little British twinjets.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:07 pm
Suspended

And I have one question for Seat 2A: What is NTU?
NTU = "Not Taken Up." (Not acquired)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:25 pm
Suspended

5) Name three airlines that operated jet aircraft into Stockton, CA (SCK) in the late 70s and also name the aircraft.

6) At one point, Northwest operated daily scheduled 747 service between MSP and JFK that made two stops en route. What were the two cities were served by these intermediate stops?

7) Also at one point, Western operated daily scheduled 737 service from Palm Springs, CA (PSP) to MSP that made no less than six (6) stops en route. What were the six cities served by these intermediate stops?
Let's see....

5. At various times between 75 and 79:
PSA had 727s and/or 737s to Los Angeles and/or Fresno.
United had 727s and/or 737s to San Francisco and Modesto.

Can't think of the third. I know Hughes Airwest flew there, but I thought they only operated their F27s into SCK.

6. Detroit and O'Hare.

7. Okay this is a TOTAL guess.... But I am imagining something like Minneapolis-Sioux Falls-Pierre-Rapid City-Casper-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Palm Springs...... and I even close???
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's see....

5. At various times between 75 and 79:
PSA had 727s and/or 737s to Los Angeles and/or Fresno.
United had 727s and/or 737s to San Francisco and Modesto.

Can't think of the third. I know Hughes Airwest flew there, but I thought they only operated their F27s into SCK.

6. Detroit and O'Hare.

7. Okay this is a TOTAL guess.... But I am imagining something like Minneapolis-Sioux Falls-Pierre-Rapid City-Casper-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Palm Springs...... and I even close???
You are correct with regard to the three airlines serving Stockton (SCK): PSA (PS), UA and Hughes Air West (RW). However, I should have said the mid 70's! In February of 1976, PS operated the B727-100, B727-200 and B737-200 into SCK while UA operated the B737-200. RW operated both the short DC-9 (DC9) and the stretched DC-9-30 (D9S) into SCK.

All three airlines flew beween Stockton and Los Angeles but none of the flights were nonstop. All of the PS flights made one stop in Fresno (FAT). The one daily UA flight made two stops: Merced (MCE) and Visalia (VIS). And there was one flight a day (except on Sundays) on RW from LAX to SCK which also made two stops: Santa Barbara (SBA) and San Francisco (SFO).
All three airlines also flew nonstop to SFO.

And RW even had a nonstop flight using either a DC9 or D9S between SCK and Twin Falls, Idaho (TWF) of all places! The actual routing of these RW flights were SEA-GEG-LWS-BOI-IDA-PIH-TWF-SCK-SFO or LAX-SBA-SFO-SCK-TWF-PIH-IDA-BOI-PDX-SEA. RW flt. #720 made seven (7) stops between SEA and SFO while RW flt. #874 made eight (8) stops between LAX and SEA. So if you really liked takeoffs and landings in a DC-9, these were the flights to be on!

You are also correct with regard to the NW B747-200 two stop service between MSP and JFK: ORD and DTW. These were "red eye" flights in each direction.

And that brings us to the Western B737-200 service from Palm Springs, CA to MSP with six (6) intermediate stops. Here is the routing:

Palm Springs (PSP)
Ontario (ONT)
Salt Lake City (SLC)
Casper, Wyoming (CPR)
Rapid City, South Dakota (RAP)
Pierre, South Dakota (PIR)
Fargo, North Dakota (FSD)
Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

So you were very close with your answer!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the answer to one unanswered question:

Question: American put a piano in the coach lounges of its 747 fleet. What airline installed "Pong" in the lounge tables aboard its widebody jets? Continental

As to question 5, "Which commercial U.S. airport has the longest runway?", you're right, cs57 and GRALISTAIR, it's Denver's runway 34L, checking in at 16000. Hard to believe there are even longer runways out there. I heard of one in China somewhere that's over 18000'!

jlemonI'll try to answer a couple of yours that may not have been answered yet...

1) It has been mentioned above that United flew the DC-8 into Fresno, CA (FAT). However, did UA ever operate the stretched DC-8 Super 60 series into FAT on a scheduled basis? Back on June 13, 1977 I flew a United DC-8-61 from LAX-FAT-SFO. It was a scheduled flight because I put a lot of time into planning that itinerary that also included connecting to a Western 727-200 SFO-PDX, then on to an Eastern L-1011 PDX-SEA.

I've been fortunate enough to have flown Frontier's into Gallup on a couple of occasions, once while flying from Durango to Flagstaff and the other time on a ABQ-DEN flight with stops in GUP, FMN, CEZ and DRO. Frontier used to refer to its 580s as "Mountain Masters" but much of the flying public preferred to call the plane "The Vomit Comet". I went to college in Durango and flew many a 580 all around the mountain west. Great airplane!

I think you might want to say "airlines" as some of the BAC-111s in Allegheny's fleet were also purchased new by Aloha and Braniff. These were then sold to Mohawk and acquired by Allegheny in the merger.

Who designed Terminal 6 at JFK, formerly called TWA domestic terminal? That building still is in active use. What was the original name? It wasn't TWA but another airline. The architect was Eero Saarinen (I might have mispelled his name, but not by much). I think the name of the terminal was something like Wings of Flight. It was a cool building. I remember as a kid flying TWA 707s and 880s out of it back in the late 1960s and early 1970s and walking through those long circular hallways. I thought the building had been originally built for TWA. Are you saying that it was originally built for a different airline?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Wrong answer

Here's the answer to one unanswered question:

Who designed Terminal 6 at JFK, formerly called TWA domestic terminal? That building still is in active use. What was the original name? It wasn't TWA but another airline. The architect was Eero Saarinen (I might have mispelled his name, but not by much). I think the name of the terminal was something like Wings of Flight. It was a cool building. I remember as a kid flying TWA 707s and 880s out of it back in the late 1960s and early 1970s and walking through those long circular hallways. I thought the building had been originally built for TWA. Are you saying that it was originally built for a different airline?
Wrong answer. You are answering about Terminal 5 at JFK. Terminal 6 was I.M. Pei's National Airlines Terminal. National Airlines was acquired by Pan Am around 1980. TWA took over the terminal. Later, America West and Jet Blue used it as well as a few United flights.

It will be torn down. Efforts to save it failed as well as efforts to save Pan Am's terminal at JFK. I understand that airport real estate is scarce and there's no room to build an offshore JFK and keep JFK as a museum of terminals.

The IM Pei building is pleasant looking with glass. From a passenger check in standpoint, it was more convenient than TWA's international terminal (Terminal 5).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.