Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
I know one, the Dassault Mercure, the most successful airliner in the world. They sold 10 copies then converted the prototype to be the 11th. Air Inter was the only customer. Air France absorbed IT later.
I thought of the other one, a less obscure airplane.

Some Sud Caravelles had JT8D engines.

NEW QUESTION: I don't know too many route info but know this from memory.
What airline used Caravelles for men only flights (no women or children) between Chicago and Newark in the 1960's?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
I know one, the Dassault Mercure, the most successful airliner in the world. They sold 10 copies then converted the prototype to be the 11th. Air Inter was the only customer. Air France absorbed IT later.
To quote the late, great Ed McMahon... "You are correct, sir!"

Now, just one more...

By the way, I always knew PWA as Pray While Aloft

And let's not forget Err Canada

Here's a couple more from Central America...

SAHSA Stay At Home, Stay Alive[/b]

TACA Take A Chance Airlines ~ Take A Coffin Along
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
NEW QUESTION: I don't know too many route info but know this from memory.
What airline used Caravelles for men only flights (no women or children) between Chicago and Newark in the 1960's?[/QUOTE]

That would be United which, of course, was the only major U.S. airline to operate the Caravelle in scheduled passenger service in North America.

And I believe that cigar smoking was permitted on these "men only" flights.

While not a "men only" flight, I actually saw a Caravelle operated by UA many years ago at HSV. But, alas, I never had the opportunity to fly on one....
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And let's not forget Err Canada.......

Which was also known back in the day as "Mapleflot" when AC was owned by the Canadian government......
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's several new questions.....

1) What is the most northerly destination in North America to have received scheduled passenger jet service? (Hint: some if not most of these flights were actually combi flights carrying both cargo and passengers)

2) What airline in North America never operated mainline passenger service with turboprop aircraft but did operate mainline all cargo flights with turboprop equipment?

3) What airlines operated jet equipment into Key West (EYW) in the past and what were the aircraft types? (Note: special extra bonus points will be awarded for correct answers containing information concerning current scheduled passenger jet operations into Key West)

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reason: Special Extra Bonus Points Offer!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jlemon
Here's several new questions.....

1) What is the most northerly destination in North America to have received scheduled passenger jet service? (Hint: some if not most of these flights were actually combi flights carrying both cargo and passengers)
Barrow (BRW)

3) What airlines operated jet equipment into Key West (EYW) in the past and what were the aircraft types? (Note: special extra bonus points will be awarded for correct answers containing information concerning current scheduled passenger jet operations into Key West)
EA, DL, Airtran (ValuJet), US

I'm not sure about a/c types, but I'm thinking DC9, CRJ, and maybe 727.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Barrow (BRW)

Well, Barrow, Alaska (BRW) is the most northern point in the U.S. to receive passenger jet service. BRW is currently served by Alaska Airlines with B737-400 Combi aircraft which carry freight pallets in addition to passengers. In the past, BRW was also served by Wien Air Alaska and then by MarkAir which both operated B737-200 Combi aircraft. I've actually flown into Barrow on a MarkAir 73M. The freight pallets on this Boeing combi were located where the F seats would normally be with this section accessible via a large cargo door located aft of the flight deck. BTW, Barrow is located approx. 1122 miles from the North Pole.

However.....

The most northern point to have received passenger jet service in North America is actually Resolute (YRB) in far northern Canada, which is located approx. 375 miles from the North Pole. I do not believe that Resolute currently has scheduled jet service; however, in the past First Air flew B727 Combi as well as B737 Combi aircraft into YRB on a scheduled basis. I also believe there was at least one other scheduled passenger jet operator. First Air still serves Resolute with ATR-42 turboprop equipment and also operates B737 charters into YRB on occasion.

As for Key West (EYW), past jet operators included National with B727 service and Piedmont with F-28 service. I flew into EYW on board a Piedmont F-28 many years ago. There may have been other jet operators as well. Current jet operators include Delta and AirTran with B737-700 flights and US Airways Express with Embraer 175 service. BTW, Key West only has one runway which is rather short: 4801 feet.

Anyone care to attempt to answer question #2 above?

Here's a hint: this U.S. based airline is a currently major passenger air carrier that operated a fleet of dedicated, large turboprop aircraft for cargo operations. What is the airline and what was the aircraft type used for cargo?

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:20 am
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
BTW, the other aircraft utilizing Pratt & Whitney's JT8D engines was the French built Caravelle. Not all Caravelles were powered by P&W, but many of the later versions were.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Anyone care to attempt to answer question #2 above?

Here's a hint: this U.S. based airline is a currently major passenger air carrier that operated a fleet of dedicated, large turboprop aircraft for cargo operations. What is the airline and what was the aircraft type used for cargo?
I'd be tempted to say Delta (Lockheed C-130s) were it not for the fact I have seen FH-227s in Delta colors, way before codesharing.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
You lot are amazing - encyclopedic knowledge.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'd be tempted to say Delta (Lockheed C-130s) were it not for the fact I have seen FH-227s in Delta colors, way before codesharing.
Your original answer is correct: Delta.

DL operated the civil version of the C-130 "Hercules", being the Lockheed L-100, in scheduled cargo operations. I seem to recall the cargo services timetable appeared toward the end of the printed passenger timetable.

And please forgive me with regard to Delta's short lived Fairchild Hiller FH-227 turboprop passenger operations. I had forgotten about them! Although DL never ordered a new turboprop for passenger service, back in 1972 they did acquire Northeast Airlines which was an FH-227 operator at the time (in addition to B727-200 and DC-9-30 aircraft, I believe). The FH-227s were repainted in Delta's colors before being retired.

I've also discovered a bit more info with regard to passenger jet service into Resolute in far northern Canada. In 1978, three (3) airlines served Resolute:
Pacific Western with direct B727 service twice a week to Edmonton and Calgary, Transair with direct B737 service once a week to Winnipeg and Nordair with direct B737 service twice a week to Montreal. By 1994, two airlines served Resolute: CP Air with B737 service and First Air with B727 Combi service. At the time, this was probably not too bad for a little town less than four hundred miles from the North Pole. One can also reportedly buy a t-shirt in Resolute that has the following message: "Resolute! It may not be the end of the world but you can see it from here!"
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by moondog

US never flew DC-9s to EYW. This was a PI destination originally, but I don't recall when mainline service was pulled. I'm think it was just F-28s based in CLT after the US merger.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
US never flew DC-9s to EYW. This was a PI destination originally, but I don't recall when mainline service was pulled. I'm think it was just F-28s based in CLT after the US merger.
BTW, the routing for the PI operated F-28 flight I took many years ago was MIA-EYW.....

Also, at one point back in 1978, there was only one airline serving Key West and they only operated DC-3s. That situation has obviously changed....

I'm also curious about your handle there, N965VJ: did this "N" number appear on a US Air DC-9-30?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I'm also curious about your handle there, N965VJ: did this "N" number appear on a US Air DC-9-30?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Wally Bird!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.