Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Name three California intra-state airlines that operated Lockheed Electras

What airline flew scheduled 747 service between Cleveland and Miami?

Name two airlines besides BOAC that operated scheduled DeHavilland Comet service into the United States.

Which airline's 720Bs were perhaps even more colorful than the Braniff DC-8 painted by Alexander Calder?

What airline utilized a golden samovar as part of its inflight service?

What airline was famous for its "Hunt Breakfast" flights?

Which movie star actress is credited with the interior design of a major airline's DC-10 First Class cabin?

What airline operated a mid-cabin lounge with a stand up bar aboard its 707s during the early 1970s?

What airline operated inter-island Hawaiian service with YS-11s and F28s?

American, Continental, United and Northwest have all operated both 747s and DC-10s between the US Mainland and Hawaii. Name the other airline that did.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Air California, PSA, Western

Name two airlines besides BOAC that operated scheduled DeHavilland Comet service into the United States.
Mexicana, AREA and maybe Aerolineas Argentinas ?

Which airline's 720Bs were perhaps even more colorful than the Braniff DC-8 painted by Alexander Calder?
Ecuatoriana

Mid-Pacific

American, Continental, United and Northwest have all operated both 747s and DC-10s between the US Mainland and Hawaii. Name the other airline that did.
ATA ?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
PSA and Air California are correct, but Western wasn't an intra-state airline. It's a different one.

Mexicana and Aerolineas Argentinas are correct. AREA operated Convair 990s. I stand gratefully corrected. Thanks to Wally Bird, we know AREA also operated Comets into the US as well.

Ecuatoriana

Mid-Pacific

ATA never operated 747s. This airline's DC-10s had a pineapple on the tail.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Mexicana and Aerolineas Argentinas are correct. AREA operated Convair 990s.
AREA had a single Comet (HC-ALT) used primarily, maybe exclusively, on the Quito-Miami service.

Story goes it broke down at MIA and rather than repair it they just abandoned it. It sat there for a further 10 years before being scrapped in 1978 I think.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
AREA had a single Comet (HC-ALT) used primarily, maybe exclusively, on the Quito-Miami service.

Story goes it broke down at MIA and rather than repair it they just abandoned it. It sat there for a further 10 years before being scrapped in 1978 I think.
Awesome bit of trivia there, Wally. Many thanks!! Here's a picture of that airplane taken at Miami.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can you match the Boeing model designation with the U.S. airline?

This airline's 737-201s never flew east of the Mississippi:

Hot pants clad stewardesses were all the rage aboard this airline's 727-214s:

This airline's 707-121s offered Rainbow Service back in Economy Class:

This airline's 737-222s launched 737 service in the US on April 28, 1968:

This airline's 747-123s flew the ORD-DTW route, as well as many others:

This airline sported lounges for First Class, Coach and Economy Class aboard its 747-124s:

This airline's 727-225s were commonly seen in Atlanta and Miami while serving "The Wings of Man":

727-27s featured prominently in this airline's "End of The Plain Plane" advertising campaign:

This airline's -31 designation was found on 707s, 727s, 747s, 757s and 767s but never 737s:

The 1000th 727 ever built was a -232 model for this airline:

One of this airline's 747-135s was named "Linda":

This airline's one class 737-247s were regular visitors to airports like CYS, SHR, PIR, and PIH:

I once flew this airline's 747-151 on a scheduled flight between Seattle and Portland:

This airline has flown the following 737 models ~ -290s, -490s, -790s, -890s and -990s:

N7278F, a 727-291, flew for this airline for four years before being sold to Braniff and becoming the eventual canvas for Alexander Calder's "Flying Colors of the United States":

The launch customer for Boeing's 727-200, a -295 model, was:

This airline's 737-297s were known as "Funjets". Some of them were named for local royalty:

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

PSA, Air California and Holiday Airlines. The latter specialized in flights to South Lake Tahoe (TVL)

United?

No idea!

No idea!

Alaska Airlines

What airline was famous for its "Hunt Breakfast" flights?

No idea!

Which movie star actress is credited with the interior design of a major airline's DC-10 First Class cabin?

No idea!

What airline operated a mid-cabin lounge with a stand up bar aboard its 707s during the early 1970s?

No idea!

Mid Pacific

Braniff, TWA and Hawaii Express
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better

American (707 Luxuryjet)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Thanks for reviving this thread, jlemon. I figured it had died due to the limited interest of the five or six of us who have fun here. But fun we'll have, then!

By the way, Northliners were operated by North Central Airlines and Arrow Jets were flown by Frontier. I believe the name originated with the 727s which FL eventually sold to BN before standardizing with the 737 - at least until those MD-80s showed up.

As to your excellent questions, it helps that I have always considered the OAG to be a fine read. I have a good sized collection of older ones from the 60s onwards and they are alot of fun to peruse now and then, just to see where those old 720s and 880s used to fly. Like, who knew UA used to operate a daily DC-8 nonstop from DSM into JFK back in 1970? Or that NE flew the MIA-LAX transcon with a 727-100. Damn, that would've made a good question! Anyway, to the answers...

1) United was the only U.S. domestic airline to operate the Caravelle. However, another airline operated the Caravelle between Miami and the Caribbean. What is the name of this airline? Air France. Correct! And this service continues to this day with an A320

2) What airline operated a DC-8 into BOI? United. Correct!

3) What airline operated a B720B into MAF? Continental I know that flight well, as it used to route IAH-SAT-MAF-ELP-TUS-LAX. Correct! The other routing was IAH-AUS-MAF-ELP-PHX-LAX. The route was also flown with a B727-200

4) What airline operated a B727 nonstop between CRP and MSY? I'm going to guess here that it's Pride Air only because they were MSY based. Eastern Airlines. The routing was ATL-MSY-CRP

5) What airline operated a B727 nonstop between LAX and HSV? United. Correct! Lots of NASA space activity at this time in HSV with the development of the Saturn V for the Apollo program.

6) Which airline was the first to operate a DC-9 nonstop between MIA and GCM? Was it Air Jamaica ? Southern Airways. This was their first and only international route that was later assumed by Republic and then by Northwest

7) What airline operated a BAC One-Eleven LAX-SBA and LAX-PSP? I remember flying a Pacific Express 1-11 LAX-MOD-SCK-SFO back in 1983. So far as I know, they were the only 1-11 operator ever in California, so that's my answer. Correct! Pacific Express later provided services as a Pan Am Express carrier before going "tango-uniform". The airline blamed United for their demise.

8) What airline operated a Fokker F-28 nonstop between SFO and SUN? Horizon . Correct! Horizon Air currently operates a Q400 nonstop LAX-SUN.

9) Which airline was the only U.S. operator of the Fokker 70? America West Express . Correct! Actually, Mesa operated the F70 as America West Express

10) What airline operated a DC-10 nonstop between PSP and YVR? Wow - you got me there. Was this a scheduled run? Was it Wardair on a seasonal service? CP Air. This was a seasonal weekend service during the winter months.

11) What airline operated a DC-10 nonstop between MSP and HRL? If you really mean HRL, I'd have to guess Sun Country. They were MSP based and flew the -10 into some interesting locales. If you meant HNL, then Northwest. Sun Country is correct! And I did mean Harlingen! This was also a seasonal weekend service during the winter months.

12) What airline operated an L-1011 between HNL and OGG? Delta comes to mind, much like United used to fly its jets on inter-island runs starting in the 80s. I don't believe HA ever flew its Tristars inter-island. Correct!

13) What airlines operated 747 service into ITO? United and Northwest. Correct! And Braniff!

14) Has OGG ever received 747 service? Not that I'm aware of... Biggest thing I ever flew in there on was a DC-10 unless you're talkin' length in which case it was a DC-8-71. If a 747 did, I'd imagine it likely would've been a charter . To the best of my knowledge, no one due to runway constraints.

I will pull some of those old OAGs out of storage and come up with 10 new questions of this genre in a couple of days.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:59 pm

Still trying to answer some of Post #126

Can you match the Boeing model designation with the U.S. airline?

Pan American

This airline sported lounges for First Class, Coach and Economy Class aboard its 747-124s:
Continental

This airline's 727-225s were commonly seen in Atlanta and Miami while serving "The Wings of Man":
Eastern

727-27s featured prominently in this airline's "End of The Plain Plane" advertising campaign:
Braniff

National (?)

This airline has flown the following 737 models ~ -290s, -490s, -790s, -890s and -990s:
Alaska (?)
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
American (707 Luxuryjet)
When AA reconfigured its 707s with the widebodied interiors and renamed them "Luxury Jets", the small First Class lounge at the front of the cabin disappeared. So far as I know, AA never had a mid-cabin lounge aboard its 707s. But another airline definitely did. I flew upon one of its 707s so equipped in 1972. I even have a picture of that lounge but I'll wait til the answer turns up first.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
PSA, Air California and Holiday Airlines. The latter specialized in flights to South Lake Tahoe (TVL) Correct!

United? Correct!

Alaska Airlines Correct!

Mid Pacific Correct!

Braniff, TWA and Hawaii Express The Hawaii Express is correct. Braniff and TWA never operated DC-10s.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Pan American Correct! First Class service was called The President Special.

Continental Correct! First Class had the Oceania Lounge (Originally called the Diamond Head Lounge), Coach had the Polynesian Pub and Economy had the Ponape Lounge.

Eastern Correct! Eastern was the launch customer for the 727

Braniff Correct! HERE is a bit of information about that campaign.

National (?) Correct! Linda was later sold to Northwest who did not name her.

Alaska Correct! Alaska was the launch customer for the 737-900
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoops! With regard to 747 and DC-10 operators to Hawaii, I did not catch the DC-10 part of the question!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:18 am

When AA reconfigured its 707s with the widebodied interiors and renamed them "Luxury Jets", the small First Class lounge at the front of the cabin disappeared. So far as I know, AA never had a mid-cabin lounge aboard its 707s. But another airline definitely did. I flew upon one of its 707s so equipped in 1972. I even have a picture of that lounge but I'll wait til the answer turns up first.
I stand to be corrected and thanks for the note. Let me try again:

TWA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.