Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: All of them!
Mainland/Hawaii---Delta, ATA, and Ryan?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:04 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by moondog
2. Name one "flight 1" that travels in an easterly direction
KE1, ICN-NRT-LAX

What carrier pioneered SNA-SFO? What equipment did they use?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
KE1, ICN-NRT-LAX

What carrier pioneered SNA-SFO? What equipment did they use?
Was it Pacific Airlines? DC-3? Who knows, if it was Pacific and they started on the route late enough, it might even have been a 727-100. My second guess would be Air California who had a big presence at SNA (did they fly into SFO though? I thought only OAK/SJC from SoCal) and it probably would have been an Electra.

By the way, Delta and ATA flew L-1011s from the West Coast into Hawaii. There were two more airlines as well... (Hint: United's ex-PA birds were not amongst them...)
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Was it Pacific Airlines? DC-3? Who knows, if it was Pacific and they started on the route late enough, it might even have been a 727-100. My second guess would be Air California who had a big presence at SNA (did they fly into SFO though? I thought only OAK/SJC from SoCal) and it probably would have been an Electra.

By the way, Delta and ATA flew L-1011s from the West Coast into Hawaii. There were two more airlines as well... (Hint: United's ex-PA birds were not amongst them...)
My guess on SNA-SFO if not Pacific Airlines, it would be West Coast Airlines.

Regarding two more carriers that had L-1011 service West Coast to Hawaii: Hawaiian, Sun Country?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
In designing this quiz for folks at an airline collectibles convention some years ago, the intent was that respondants with a reasonable amount of knowledge about the subject could answer the questions off the top of their heads, without internet assistance. As such, it wasn't important that they know every single operator of, say, BAC-111s in the US, but rather, say, just seven of them. Of course there were other operators, but again, it was never important for respondants to know ALL of them. That's why I don't list all the answers, although for those of you who wish to add to the answers, good job for knowing.
I thank the OP for posting this excellent thread and for showing my age. I mentioned Aloha that flew BAC-111s through memory and not through an internet search. I can never forget flying on the One-Elevens, with the RR Spey engines, the rear drop down airstair, the lounge style facing seats in mid-cabin and the 20 minute flying time between HNL and LIH.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
There's no rule here on this thread that you have to know the answer off the top of your head (though it makes it more fun to try) and I would not have taken any offense even if you had used the internet. At this point it's just informational fun for us all.

It's a little easier for me as I have been collecting airline postcards since I was just a kid, and at one point had over 25000 of them. With so many airlines publishing their own postcards back in the old days, postcard collecting was a great way to be aware of airline fleets. I used to spend alot of money on stamps writing to ALL the airlines asking for postcards and brochures about their airplanes.

It gets worse though. I actually read through old copies of the OAG for pure enjoyment and have been for almost 40 years. As in Check it out! Back in 1966, Western Airlines actually flew Connies between Kodiak and Seattle. Ohmygod! United flew DC-8s into Grand Junction! Awesome! And the international editions - great fun looking for all those old Comets and Convairs, or counting Caravelles in South America.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My second guess would be Air California who had a big presence at SNA (did they fly into SFO though? I thought only OAK/SJC from SoCal) and it probably would have been an Electra.
Yes, SFO, yes.

IIRC they picked up the Electras from Western, who had used them on LAX-SFO when they started "shuttle" service in the early 1960s, price (if memory serves) $14 each way.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 8, 2011 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Hawaiian and (guessing) Total Air.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
I know I am correct so I pose a new question.

Name 3 U.S. airlines that operated the 747SP. I can think of 5. I once flew on aboard a 747SP Brussels-Amsterdam.

What are the current questions? This is one, I know.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:43 am
Suspended

9. What three airlines merged to form Republic Airlines in 1979?
Actually only two airlines merged in 1979 to form Republic: Southern and North Central. Hughes Airwest was not acquired until October 1980.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:49 am
Suspended

6. Everyone knows AA, NW, PA, UA & TW flew the 747. Name five other non-cargo US airlines that also did
Also not included in the answers: The short-lived "The Hawaii Express" in late 1982/early 1983. (IATA code LP).
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

I was unaware that United ever had a scheduled run between SFO and OAK with a widebodied aircraft. So far as I knew, the largest thing they ever operated on this route was a DC-8-61.

On the other hand, Eastern used to fly an A300 on the MIA-FLL-JFK route. I flew it once. MIA-FLL is about 20 miles.
Also on the short MIA-FLL route over the years:

Delta L-1011
National DC-10
Western DC-10
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:05 am
Suspended

2. What airlines operated shuttle service between LaGuardia and Washington National preceding Delta and US Airways? Hint: Delta hasn't always used the Marine Air Terminal in New York so some airline must have used it.
Someone mentioned Eastern and Trump. However, there was also the Pan Am Shuttle between 1987 and 1991.

In September 1991, Pan Am sold the Shuttle to Delta a few months before the rest of its assets were sold. Delta acquired the Shuttle and the several Boeing 727s being used to provide the service.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:11 am
Suspended

NEW QUESTION
1. What U.S. airports had scheduled Concorde service? Here are some....JFK/New York, IAD/Washington, DFW/Dallas. How about __________?
Miami.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N702ML
Also not included in the answers: The short-lived "The Hawaii Express" in late 1982/early 1983. (IATA code LP).
Very good! Hawaii Express also flew DC-10s.

Regarding the L-1011s to Hawaii question, Delta, ATA and Hawaiian are correct. The other airline is no longer in service though it was a major in its day. Additionally, Sun Country flew DC-10s but no L-1011s.

Originally Posted by N702ML
Actually only two airlines merged in 1979 to form Republic: Southern and North Central. Hughes Airwest was not acquired until October 1980.
Good point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.