Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: BA
Just regarding American disposing of their DC6 fleet, it appears that it was a close run thing between the DC6 and the Convair 990 - the latter had certainly started being sold off before the end of 1966, and were all gone well before the Electras.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
The first One-Eleven was delivered to American in December 1965; by December 1966 all 30 had been delivered.
Well, I wondered about this and was hoping you'd chime in before I got into too much trouble.....

I had stated above that the BAC One-Eleven did not show up in the American Airlines timetable dated April 24, 1966. And, indeed, it does not appear in the old fashioned eastbound and westbound linear schedules.

However, I just took a look at that particular timetable once again and guess what? The aircraft does appear in the quick reference schedules and is listed as a "BAC-400". So American was indeed flying the One-Eleven at this time, primarily out of La Guardia but also from Newark as well. Schedules included LGA-BUF, LGA-ROC, LGA-SYR, LGA-YYZ, EWR-BUF and EWR-SYR.

BTW, there is photo of a bright and shiny new American Airlines One-Eleven on airliners.net dated Dec. 14, 1965. It was apparently shot at Bournemouth International (BOH) in the U.K.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Guys thanks - this is an awesome resource and a monumentally useful thread.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
I had stated above that the BAC One-Eleven did not show up in the American Airlines timetable dated April 24, 1966. And, indeed, it does not appear in the old fashioned eastbound and westbound linear schedules.

However, I just took a look at that particular timetable once again and guess what? The aircraft does appear in the quick reference schedules and is listed as a "BAC-400". So American was indeed flying the One-Eleven at this time, primarily out of La Guardia but also from Newark as well. Schedules included LGA-BUF, LGA-ROC, LGA-SYR, LGA-YYZ, EWR-BUF and EWR-SYR.
I think that was a feature of the American schedules of the period, the "Quick Reference" section was not a summary of the "Detailed" section, but additional to it. The QR gave the principal routes, the Detailed bit only shows what other odd routes there were. They have caught me out before.

BTW, there is photo of a bright and shiny new American Airlines One-Eleven on airliners.net dated Dec. 14, 1965. It was apparently shot at Bournemouth International (BOH) in the U.K.
That's Hurn airport, where the One-Elevens (almost all of them) were built, as indeed many of the Viscounts had been previously. The first AA delivery was nine days later.

There was actually an overlap in production of the two types, the final Viscount coming off the line 6 months after the first One-Eleven.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

That's Hurn airport, where the One-Elevens (almost all of them) were built, as indeed many of the Viscounts had been previously. The first AA delivery was nine days later.

There was actually an overlap in production of the two types, the final Viscount coming off the line 6 months after the first One-Eleven.
Ah, I sense a bonus quiz question, being:

What airline took delivery of the last Viscount built at Hurn airport?

Of course, I do not know the answer....but someone here might. :-:

And hello to GRALISTAIR! We have not heard from you in quite some time and hope all is well. Thank you for your kind remark.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. What airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Anchorage and Dawson City in the Yukon in 1967? Also identify the aircraft type operated on the route.

8. In 1987, this airline was operating a daily flight from Boise (BOI) to Tucson (TUS) with three intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED
Here's a hint for 2. This service was operated by a U.S. air carrier based in the lower 48 states.

And as for 8. we are looking for a couple of intermediate stops......

Sunworld operating a DC-9-10 on a routing of:

* Boise (BOI)
* Reno (RNO)
* Ontario (ONT)
* San Diego (SAN)
* Tucson (TUS)

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 24, 2015 at 7:34 am Reason: answer update
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
14. American is correct! And you did identify most but not all of the stops correctly and also not in the correct order.

So here's what we are looking for:

Stop #1 - _____________
Stop #2 - Washington, DC
Stop #3 - Memphis
Stop #4 - Fort Worth
Stop #5 - El Paso
Stop #6 - _____________
Stop #7 - Tucson
Stop #8 - Phoenix
Stop #9 - San Diego
1- this has to be Philadelphia (PHL); while AA served Baltimore, it was only with jets to PHL, DAL, and LAX
6- Douglas/Bisbee, Arizona
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
greetings to all!

once again, the archives of stuff that I had stashed away at my mom's house have yielded some interesting documents

from a Piedmont Airlines timetable, June 1974:
1- (revised for clarity)identify all the North Carolina cities served by PI that also include Camp Lejeune in their timetable listings
2- identify the three PI destinations that were ONLY served by the Boeing 737 -- answered; MEM, BNA, LGA
3- identify the three PI destinations that were served by BOTH the Boeing 737 and the FH-227B partially answered: ORD
4- identify the only PI destination that was served by BOTH the Boeing 737 and the YS-11

speaking of PI turboprops, you are in Atlanta and learn that you have a luncheon meeting in Arlington VA the next day; you discover that you can take a 655am flight that arrives Washington National (DCA) at 1112am, then depart DCA at 359pm to get back to ATL at 959pm
5- identify the aircraft type and (in order, of course) the five intermediate stops on the northbound flight
6- identify the aircraft type and (in order, of course) the five intermediate stops on the southbound flight (hint: you will not transit the same airport twice)

from an Aeroflot timetable, summer 1974 -- the cover photo shows a flight attendant, with eyes closed and a slight but very suggestive smile, practically hugging a model of an Aeroflot jet:
7- what type of aircraft is she caressing?ANSWERED - TU-144
8- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->Washington Dulles (IAD) service, and what was the intermediate stop?
9- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->JFK service, and what was the intermediate stop?

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 21, 2015 at 10:02 am Reason: update status of answers
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- this has to be Philadelphia (PHL); while AA served Baltimore, it was only with jets to PHL, DAL, and LAX
6- Douglas/Bisbee, Arizona
14. Correct! American was the only major airline to operate mainline flights into Douglas/Bisbee (DUG) located down near the Mexican border and did so with the DC-6 until around the mid 1960's when they turned their service over to Apache Airlines, a commuter air carrier.

And I will now return to the roof of our home to continue tree trimming as well as our concerted battle against killer wood ants.....

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 23, 2015 at 2:34 pm Reason: wood ant combat update
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:41 pm

here's a hint for 2. this service was operated by a u.s. Air carrier based in the lower 48 states.

And as for 8. we are looking for a couple of intermediate stops......

Sunworld operating a dc-9-10 on a routing of:

* boise (boi)
* reno (rno)
* _________
* _________
* tucson (tus)
Boise-Reno-Las Vegas-San Diego-Tucson

greetings to all!

once again, the archives of stuff that I had stashed away at my mom's house have yielded some interesting documents

from a Piedmont Airlines timetable, June 1974:
1- identify all the PI destinations that are listed as serving Camp Lejeune NC
Atlanta, Norfolk, Washington
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
we already know that LAS isn't part of the answer, but I will toss Ontario (ONT) out there as the second stop

1- identify all the PI destinations that are listed as serving Camp Lejeune NC
Atlanta, Norfolk, Washington
sorry, I wasn't clear ... the question should have been "Identify all the North Carolina cities served by PI that also include Camp Lejeune in their timetable listings"

original q has been revised
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:54 am

Last of the line

Consolidating a couple of recent bonus questions from myself and JL, and adding several others, I thought I'd put together some questions for the last airliners of a type delivered new to an airline. Bonus for getting the date roughly right as well. So which carrier took the last of the line :

- 4-engined piston airliner to a major US airline (and the type)
- Boeing 707 (for an airline - they continued for years for air forces and governments) Nigeria Airways
- DC8
- Hawker Siddeley Trident
- Lockheed Tristar TAP Air Portugal
- Lockheed Electra
- Saab 340
- Sud Caravelle
- Tupolev 154
- Vickers Viscount

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. Las Vegas is incorrect, San Diego is correct.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we already know that LAS isn't part of the answer, but I will toss Ontario (ONT) out there as the second stop
8. Correct! Here's the sched.....

JK 357: BOI 2:40p - 2:45p RNO 3:20p - 4:35p ONT 5:00p - 5:35p SAN 5:55p - 7:05p TUS
Op: Daily
Equip: DC9
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- identify the three PI destinations that were ONLY served by the Boeing 737
2. Airports that received all Boeing 737-200 "Pacemaker" service operated by Piedmont in June 1974:

* Chicago (ORD)
* Memphis (MEM)
* Nashville (BNA)

What a great little airline.....I certainly enjoyed my flights with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.