Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7- JFK-YMX perhaps Aerolineas Argentinas, with a 747
14- SEA-PDX, Wien also had a couple 727-100s

I believe these jets were initially delivered to Pan Am, and wore a couple other aiine liveries before coming to WC; two later went to the DC Air National Guard as C-22Bs and operated out of Andrews AFB until the C-40s (737-700 Boeing Business Jet variants) arrived ~2006

I caught a Space-Available hop on one from ADW to LAX in April 1986 ... the jet was configured like an airliner (12 F and ~75 Y); there were about 40 Guardsmen and women in camouflage uniforms sitting in the back, but the loadmaster let me sit up front as I was an officer in dress blues ... we made a fuel stop at Salina KS (SLN) where I saw a Lockheed Constellation by a hangar on the far side of the field

as for the third airline w all-coach service, I was going to offer another northern denizen called Markair with a 737-200, but I suspect you would have given partial credit for my AirCal guess ... so how about AeroAmerica with a smoky noisy straight-pipe Boeing 720 that had actually originated in HNL

I'm currently in SEA, leaving Wed evening (via LAX, taking the AS inaugural to BWI), then back the weekend of the 19th (departing Mon evening LAX/BWI -- gotta get those double
miles!); I'll be in the DC area most of Oct, with the exception of a drive to Nashville the first weekend of Oct for a family reunion (although since most of my days will be 12+ hours of proposal prep, a beer break will be MOST welcome!)
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I think the other foreign twin jet operator at BOS would be EA, with A300s.

Correct!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Just a gentle reminder... Please limit your response to no more than 2-3 questions at a time so that others might also experience the enjoyment derived from having a chance to participate...

Here are my other guesses:

2. Continuing on from Seattle to Houston, we find five airlines offering direct flights but only one (separate from the other five) offering nonstop service. That’s the flight we want. Identify the airline and, if you like, the equipment flown.

Your comment that the only airline with a nonstop did not also offer direct flights means the nonstop airline did not also have a hub in DEN or DFW... which points toward Pan Am, with 727s.

Correct! In this case the aircraft utilized was a 727-100.

18. Once again, an old friend has called and asked if you’d care to join her for a weekend of sun and fun frolicking along the Yucatan Peninsula. A flight to Cancun will be required – at your expense. She’ll have a bottle of tequila waiting upon your arrival at the hotel. A quick call to New York’s Liberty Travel reveals that the NYC-CUN market is served by a single twice weekly nonstop flight departing out of JFK. Identify the airline operating this flight.

United, with DC-8-61s / 71s.

Correct! I don't know when the -61s were converted to -71s, but the schedule indicates that United operated these flights in an all economy class configuration.

25. After a scenic ride along the old New York Central “See Level Route” to Buffalo via Amtrak’s Lakeshore Limited, you’ve booked a one-stop flight to Detroit that indicates it’s operated with a well known business jet. Identify the airline and the type of business jet used. Have a go at the intermediate stop as well if you’d like.

25: Heussler Air Service, with a Lear Jet via ERI.

Correct on the airline and the routing, but not so for the aircraft. While Heussler may very well have operated a Lear at some point on this schedule, per the PFG I reference the schedule shows a different type of aircraft. Hmm... what could it be?

Which concert were you attending at Frost Ampitheatre?

The Dead - pretty good show if memory serves me correctly. After the show we drove down to Kings Canyon National Park for a week's backpacking trip through the high Sierra

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 7, 2015 at 1:11 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
11. Strong headwinds turn the normally 2 hour and twenty minute flight between Chicago and Colorado Springs into a three hour and twelve minute marathon. While others around you moan and groan, you delve deeper into your OAG to consider your options between Denver and Salt Lake City. Five airlines offer flights with First Class cabins. One airline offers a flight with a Business Class cabin (in lieu of a First Class cabin) and five airlines offer flights aboard aircraft configured in an all economy class configuration. So, let’s divide this question into three parts of which you may choose to answer any one or all.
11A: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft with a First Class cabin
11B: Identify the airline that offers a Business Class cabin (Not in combination with a First Class cabin)
11C: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft configured entirely in Y Class

Continental Airlines - I seem to recall it was around this time they changed to BusinessFirst.

A good guess, VH-RMD, however in this case it was not Continental. Additionally, I might be wrong here but I believe Continental's BusinessFirst was limited to international services...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
Pacific Express was also the only California-based new start up air carrier ever to operate the One-Eleven in the Golden State.
Hmm... did any other airline operate the One-Eleven into or around California?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

6. Continuing on to Albany, New York, we’re surprised to find that only one airline operates nonstop jet flights between any of the three New York airports and ALB. That airline operates three daily nonstop to New York’s capitol city. With no desire to clamber aboard a tiny and cramped Shorts or Beechcraft airliner, we book a flight aboard one of this airline’s jet flights. Identify the airline.

Let's go with Eastern operating a B727-200 between Albany and New York JFK. And I think Braniff International may have operated ALB-LGA and ALB-JFK service with the 727 in 1981.

Per the schedule I referenced for this question, Eastern is indeed correct. It offered two daily flights from JFK and one from EWR - all of them operated with 727-200 equipment.

9. A good friend calls and asks if you’d like to join him on a drive to the top of 14,110’ high Pike’s Peak. He’s already enroute from his home in Minnesota and suggests that you could meet him in Colorado Springs tomorrow evening. Ya sure, you betcha! A quick call to your local travel agent reveals the ORD-COS market is served by a single nonstop flight. Everything else connects through Denver. You’ll take the nonstop please. Identify the airline and aircraft upon which you’ll be flying.

Sure sounds like TWA flying nonstop from ORD to COS with a B727-200.

Correct! Through most of the 1970s the ORD-COS route was served by Continental. TWA's service was short lived and by the time I flew the route in 1986 United was the only carrier offering nonstop flights.

11. Strong headwinds turn the normally 2 hour and twenty minute flight between Chicago and Colorado Springs into a three hour and twelve minute marathon. While others around you moan and groan, you delve deeper into your OAG to consider your options between Denver and Salt Lake City. Five airlines offer flights with First Class cabins. One airline offers a flight with a Business Class cabin (in lieu of a First Class cabin)......

11B: Identify the airline that offers a Business Class cabin (Not in combination with a First Class cabin)

Perhaps this was Republic operating DEN-SLC with former Hughes Airwest B727-200 and/or DC-9-30 aircraft.

Perhaps it was! RC offered two daily nonstop on the route, both of them operated with DC-9-30 aircraft.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
7. Returning by road to the greater New York metropolitan area, we now set our sights on a flight across the border to Montreal aboard one of the three foreign carriers that enjoy Fifth Freedom rights between New York-JFK and Montreal Mirabel. Identify each of these airlines and the equipment it operates between JFK and YMX.

JFK-YMX perhaps Aerolineas Argentinas, with a 747

Perhaps, indeed! In 1986 I flew aboard LV-OPA on a YMX-JFK-MIA flight that featured a full dinner service between New York and Miami (I'll have the pheasant, please...)

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline.

SEA-PDX, Wien also had a couple 727-100s

I believe these jets were initially delivered to Pan Am, and wore a couple other aiine liveries before coming to WC; two later went to the DC Air National Guard as C-22Bs and operated out of Andrews AFB until the C-40s (737-700 Boeing Business Jet variants) arrived ~2006

As for the third airline w all-coach service, I was going to offer another northern denizen called Markair with a 737-200, but I suspect you would have given partial credit for my AirCal guess ... so how about AeroAmerica with a smoky noisy straight-pipe Boeing 720 that had actually originated in HNL?

Wien 727-100 is correct. However, the info I have indicates that WC's 727-100s were ex-United machines leased from CO. There's no indication of what happened to them after CO divested itself of them. I actually flew upon N40481 in the service of CO.

As for Air Cal, I can't give partial credit if OC didn't even offer service on the SEA-PDX route. It may have later on but per the 1982 schedule I reference OC's service to PDX and SEA was out of RNO.

Alas, it was not AeroAmerica either. I remember seeing its 720s on the BFI-GEG schedules but unfortunately was never able to finagle a flight aboard one. My last flight aboard a 720 was aboard an Ecuatoriana bird in 1983.

I'll be in the DC area most of Oct, with the exception of a drive to Nashville the first weekend of Oct for a family reunion (although since most of my days will be 12+ hours of proposal prep, a beer break will be MOST welcome!)

Alas, the only time I'll be in Baltimore with sufficient time for a beer or two will be later this month. I'll have a number of long layovers through October in both Portland and Seattle however...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Hmm... did any other airline operate the One-Eleven into or around California?
An excellent question. And I believe the answer is......not to my knowledge, at least in scheduled service.

It appears the closest destination to California served by Cascade Airways with their One-Eleven aircraft was Reno (RNO).

The One-Eleven also showed up on gambling charters at Lake Tahoe (TVL). There's a photo of one at TVL on airliners.net that was apparently parked there for awhile following an accident on departure. I think the aircraft hit a snow bank which resulted in a wing section being ripped off. I believe this One-Eleven was a 401AK model operated by a company called "Starflight" and the registration was N711ST.

And as for Continental's BusinessFirst service, it was indeed primarily an international product although I seem to recall that CO also offered a variant of BusinessFirst service on its IAH-HNL nonstops and perhaps on its EWR-HNL nonstops as well. I still have fond memories concerning my time as a Platinum elite with CO.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 8, 2015 at 9:43 am Reason: CO BizFirst & One-Eleven at TVL
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11. ... options between Denver and Salt Lake City.
11A: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft with a First Class cabin
  1. Continental/Texas International
  2. Delta
  3. Eastern
  4. United
  5. Western
11C: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights aboard aircraft configured entirely in Y Class
HINT: Two of these airlines also operate flights between DEN and SLC with First Class equipped jets
  1. Braniff (my entry in the "wild guess of the day" contest)
  2. Continental/Texas International
  3. Frontier
  4. Republic
  5. Western
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. After an entertaining couple of days in the City of Angels, we’ll fly across the country to New York City, which as you know is served by three airports – two of them capable of handling transcon flights. Two airlines operate all economy class configured widebodied aircraft, each offering nicely discounted fares. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates between Los Angeles and New York.

12. Three airlines serve the Salt Lake City to Phoenix market – all of them offering flights operated with 727s. Only one of the airlines operates its flight with a 727-100 series aircraft. Which airline is it?
5. Let's go with Capitol Air operating LAX-JFK and World Airways flying LAX-EWR.

Now I think Capitol Air was better known for operating Super DC-8 aircraft; however, at this time the equipment they operated on the route may have been a DC-10.

And as for World, I believe the equipment was the same type of aircraft: the DC-10.

12. Definitely wild guess time: Wien Air Alaska. Southbound routing flown with the B727-100 may have been ANC-SEA-BOI-SLC-PHX.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
11A: Identify each of the five airlines that offer flights between Denver and Salt Lake City aboard aircraft with a First Class cabin
  • Continental ^
  • Delta ^
  • Eastern ^
  • United ^
  • Western ^

11C: Identify each of the five (I meant to say FOUR) airlines that offer flights between Denver and Salt Lake City aboard aircraft with an all-economy class cabin
  1. Texas International ^
  2. Frontier ^
  3. Republic Both of RC's flights featured DC-9-30s with C/Y seating
  4. Western ^

A very good start, J. Now then, what's the one missing airline with an all Y class cabin?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. After an entertaining couple of days in the City of Angels, we’ll fly across the country to New York City, which as you know is served by three airports – two of them capable of handling transcon flights. Two airlines operate all economy class configured widebodied aircraft, each offering nicely discounted fares. Identify each airline and the aircraft it operates between Los Angeles and New York.

Let's go with Capitol Air operating LAX-JFK and World Airways flying LAX-EWR.

Now I think Capitol Air was better known for operating Super DC-8 aircraft; however, at this time the equipment they operated on the route may have been a DC-10.

And as for World, I believe the equipment was the same type of aircraft: the DC-10.

Correct! Capitol operated two daily nonstops to JFK - one a DC-8-61 and the other a DC-10-10. World countered with a single DC-10-30 into EWR.

12. Three airlines serve the Salt Lake City to Phoenix market – all of them offering flights operated with 727s. Only one of the airlines operates its flight with a 727-100 series aircraft. Which airline is it?

12. Definitely wild guess time: Wien Air Alaska. Southbound routing flown with the B727-100 may have been ANC-SEA-BOI-SLC-PHX.

Good guess. Wien it was, departing Salt Lake City each day at 11:40am, arriving Phoenix at 1:00pm. The routing is as described above but with the addition of Fairbanks as the starting point.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You'll find the rest of the unanswered questions HERE
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. Returning to the United States, we head southwest aboard the only widebodied flight offered on the Montreal to Chicago market. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

23. Your business is completed in Hartford and now you’d like to fly out of town. The destination doesn’t matter, but the aircraft does. It must be an F27. Identify the only airline that flies an F27 into or out of Hartford.

25. After a scenic ride along the old New York Central “See Level Route” to Buffalo via Amtrak’s Lakeshore Limited, you’ve booked a one-stop flight to Detroit that indicates it’s operated with a well known business jet. Identify the airline and the type of business jet used. Have a go at the intermediate stop as well if you’d like. I N ..P L A Y Looking for the aircraft type...
8. By 1982, the Chicago-Montreal route had been served for several years by American. You may recall from a previous post that I flew on board an AA operated Boeing 707 on a routing of DFW-ORD-YUL in the late 1970's. I believe the other carrier on the route was Air Canada. Now I do not think that Air Canada was operating wide body equipment on the ORD-YUL route in 1982.....but I'm willing to wager that American was at this time, perhaps with a DC-10. And I'll also bet this AA flight continued on from Chicago with direct, no change of plane service to either LAX or SFO.

23. Perhaps this was Pilgrim Airlines (PM). If so, the aircraft may have been a Fokker F27 (and thus not a Fairchild F-27).

25. Hmmmmm.....a "well known business jet". That would appear to indicate a Cessna Citation (which was also used by Enterprise Airlines in scheduled service in the U.S.).

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 9, 2015 at 2:37 pm Reason: correction
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. Returning to the United States, we head southwest aboard the only widebodied flight offered on the Montreal to Chicago market. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

By 1982, the Chicago-Montreal route had been served for several years by American. You may recall from a previous post that I flew on board an AA operated Boeing 707 on a routing of DFW-ORD-YUL in the late 1970's. I believe the other carrier on the route was Air Canada. Now I do not think that Air Canada was operating wide body equipment on the ORD-YUL route in 1982.....but I'm willing to wager that American was at this time, perhaps with a DC-10. And I'll also bet this AA flight continued on from Chicago with direct, no change of plane service to either LAX or SFO.

Correct! Except that you would have lost your bet on LAX or SFO being AA 383's onward destination. Actually, I never could find an onward destination for that flight, having checked the usual destinations (LAX, SFO, SAN, PHX, TUS, LAS, DFW & PSP)

23. Your business is completed in Hartford and now you’d like to fly out of town. The destination doesn’t matter, but the aircraft does. It must be an F27. Identify the only airline that flies an F27 into or out of Hartford.

Perhaps this was Pilgrim Airlines (PM). If so, the aircraft may have been a Fokker F27 (and thus not a Fairchild F-27).

Yep, Pilgrim it was. Alas, no PM F28s into BDL...

25. After a scenic ride along the old New York Central “See Level Route” to Buffalo via Amtrak’s Lakeshore Limited, you’ve booked a one-stop flight to Detroit that indicates it’s operated with a well known business jet. Identify the airline and the type of business jet used. Have a go at the intermediate stop as well if you’d like.

Hmmmmm.....a "well known business jet". That would appear to indicate a Cessna Citation (which was also used by Enterprise Airlines in scheduled service in the U.S.)

Correct! Aircraft code CNJ. If it were me, I'd rather have flown on Lockheed's JetStar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.