Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

Although I am supposed to be wrapping up work stuff, I will take a few minutes to speculate about this frustrating question one more time

22- ABQ-MSP-DTW-BDL, Republic, DC-9-30

Hmm... did Republic ever actually fly to Albuquerque? The airline we're looking for had - by 1982 - been serving ABQ as well as other New Mexico cities with both jet and turboprop flights for quite some time. It always operated an all-economy or standard class fleet.

Hurry! jlemon is coming and if we're not careful, WHBM may have to swoop down from the azure Iberian skies to clean this up! And let's not forget JoeDTW or Indelaware waiting in the wings...

Speaking of "frustrating" ... I am currently #29 of 73 on the upgrade list for BWI-ATL at 1745 this evening (it's a 739 with 160 coach seats) ... luckily I was able to switch from a middle seat to the "bulkhead" window thanks to someone either SDCing or cancelling, and my ATL-SEA upgrade (also a 739) cleared a couple days ago.

Delta consistently features longer upgrade lists than any airline I've ever flown upon. As a lowly MVP Gold 75K, I'd likely have been about #68 on that list! Enjoy the big seat between ATL and SEA. Back in the "Good Old Days" of inflight service, that flight would have featured Medallion Service with five course meals from the trolley and nicely padded cloth covered seats as opposed to the stark blue leather seats in use today.

In less than a week I'll be enjoying Amtrak's new Business Class service aboard the Coast Starlight on a round trip between Seattle and Portland. One of the benefits of this new service is that it includes access to the Pacific Parlour Car. I'll have luncheon at Wilf's Restaurant, located in Portland's Union Station before heading back up to Seattle aboard the northbound Starlight.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 17, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.
22. Wild guess time.....

Texas International operating a DC-9-30 on routing of Albuquerque (ABQ) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Baltimore (BWI) - Hartford (BDL).

BTW, I've only flown into Hartford once and that trip was on board a Business Express Beechcraft 1900C from La Guardia back in the 1980s. I began my trip on a SkyWest Metro III from San Luis Obispo to LAX, connected to a Piedmont B767-200 in F to Charlotte and then connected again to a Piedmont B737-400 in F to La Guardia via a stop in Richmond. A friend was flying for Business Express at the time and I remember attending a Patriots game in Foxborough where we almost froze to death.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 17, 2015 at 12:44 pm Reason: spelling & airport code
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

Wild guess time..... Texas International operating a DC-9-30 on routing of Albuquerque (ABQ) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Baltimore (BWI) - Hartford.

And... we have a winner!! C'mon now, jlemon, after the hint I just dropped this was more like a mild guess!

BTW, I've only flown into Hartford once, on board a Business Express Beechcraft 1900C from La Guardia back in the 1980s. I began my trip on a SkyWest Metro III from San Luis Obispo to LAX, connected to a Piedmont B767-200 in F to Charlotte and then connected again to a Piedmont B737-400 in F to La Guardia via a stop in Richmond. A friend was flying for Business Express at the time and I remember attending a Patriots game in Foxborough where we almost froze to death.....

My first flight into BDL was aboard an Allegheny DC-9-30 in 1977. Two weeks later, I logged my first L-1011 flight aboard an Eastern bird flying EWR-BDL.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, as a matter of fact, I began composing my answer concerning TI before you dropped your rather large and conclusive hint! So I did not read it beforehand.....
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route.
16. Well, of course, United comes to mind, what with their hub operation at SFO. However, I do not think it was UA at this time.

So, instead, let's go with TWA operating a B727-200.

And as for the other airline, it might have been Republic, say with a DC-9-30, or it may have been Pacific Southwest, perhaps with an MD-80....so I'll guess it was PSA.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route.

Well, of course, United comes to mind, what with their hub operation at SFO. However, I do not think it was UA at this time. So, instead, let's go with TWA operating a B727-200.

TWA is correct, but per the schedule I reference the aircraft was a 727-100.

And as for the other airline, it might have been Republic, say with a DC-9-30, or it may have been Pacific Southwest, perhaps with an MD-80....so I'll guess it was PSA.

Correct again! I remember flying aboard a PSA MD80 back in 1984. Wildly colorful interior though by then the hot pants worn by the flight attendants had become a tad more conservative!

Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

All questions are sourced from a 1982 Pocket Flight Guide

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector. The airline is not WC or RC

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. I N ..P L A Y QX F27 & WC 727 correct. Still looking for the other airline and aircraft

After this set of questions concludes, there'll be no more questions from me for awhile because in three days I will be departing on a 57000 mile jaunt around the US, visiting everywhere from my old school in New York to friends working in the Everglades to three concerts in Colorado to a dinner in San Antonio followed by a luncheon in Portland (all in the same weekend) to a week driving around the Desert Southwest including a visit to the George S. Patton Museum. Also included will be a 2400 mile train ride between Portland and Milwaukee (with sleeper accommodations) and a three day road trip up into Northern Wisconsin. Oh yeah, I'll also be sampling Amtrak's new Business Class service aboard the Coast Starlight on a round trip between Seattle and Portland. It'll be a busy six weeks.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
since we have put most of Seat 2A's latest Quiz questions to bed, I think I can safely resurrect a few that I posed last month

from a Piedmont Airlines timetable, June 1974:
1- identify all four North Carolina cities served by PI that also include Camp Lejeune in their timetable listings

3- identify the three PI destinations that were served by BOTH the Boeing 737 and the FH-227B

4- identify the only PI destination that was served by BOTH the Boeing 737 and the YS-11 HINT: it was in North Carolina

speaking of PI turboprops, you are in Atlanta and learn that you have a luncheon meeting in Arlington VA the next day; you discover that you can take a 655am flight that arrives Washington National (DCA) at 1112am, then depart DCA at 359pm to get back to ATL at 959pm
5- identify the aircraft type and (in order, of course) the five intermediate stops on the northbound flight

6- identify the aircraft type and (in order, of course) the five intermediate stops on the southbound flight (hint: you will not transit the same airport twice)

from an Aeroflot timetable, summer 1974 -- the cover photo shows a flight attendant, with eyes closed and a slight but very suggestive smile, practically hugging a model of an Aeroflot jet:
7- what type of aircraft is she caressing?
ANSWERED - TU-144

8- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->Washington Dulles (IAD) service, and what was the intermediate stop?

9- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->JFK service, and what was the intermediate stop?

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 21, 2015 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. From an Aeroflot timetable, summer 1974 -- the cover photo shows a flight attendant, with eyes closed and a slight but very suggestive smile, practically hugging a model of an Aeroflot jet. What type of aircraft is she caressing?

1974... I'm thinking for propaganda purposes she'd have to be hugging a TU-144. Maybe she was excited about a trip to beautiful cosmopolitan Alma-Ata...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
TU-144 is indeed correct!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.
3. This may well have been Texas International operating a DC-9-30 shortly before all TI services were folded into Continental.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: BA
WHBM may have to swoop down from the azure Iberian skies
Bear with me, there are a couple of old airliner questions at the end …

WHBM indeed here on a balmy evening, with Mrs WHBM , plus Little Miss WHBM (aged 2.75) FINALLY zzzzz,after a scorching cloudless day on the beach (with a decidedly azure sea), and is your temporary Iberian reporter, although Majorca and the islands are halfway across the Mediterranean to Africa. We’re at the eastern end of the island, Alcudia, opposite end to the city of Palma and it’s airport, the latter large enough to grace a major US city. BA brought us here from London City, courtesy of my old friend E190 G-LCYP, which I last enjoyed on a flight from LCY up to Edinburgh and a business meeting last January on a day of snow, following which jlemon gave me advice upthread on what footwear I should use to avoid falling on those icy Edinburgh cobbles. What a contrast to today.

BA at London City has a certain scheduling skill that, as business travel falls off in the summer months on the high frequency routes, rearrangement allows a few holiday destinations to be served for a short while on odd days, keeping the fleet fully stretched, Palma being one of the key ones, and certainly our flight was all seats taken, including a sizeable Club section. Someone wrote that it seems to be the same passengers on the LCY holiday flights as on the business trips from there for the rest of the year, and that looked plausible.

So a pleasant BA flight, together with the ubiquitous LCY early morning hot breakfast; it was actually less than 2 hours runway to runway, and as Palma was on Westerlies we did indeed approach on 24R.There are hangars to the left of the runway, and then suddenly, for an absolute fleeting moment, there it was, the old Convair 990 in the distance, end on. https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...FcRbFAod2y0Crg Onetime N5618 with American in the 1960s, it was sold to MEA, and then on to Spantax, part of their large fleet which ran holiday flights from Spain up to Northern Europe. Last service was in March 1987, and I believe it was the last commercial flight ever operated by a Convair jetliner. It’s been here for the last quarter-century and more, untouched and now very notably weather-stained as you see. Those behind it’s retention should have anticipated this, for despite today’s azure skies, no less than George Bernard Shaw, making a rare appearance in this thread, did of course caution once that :

The Rain in Spain falls Mainly on the Plane.

Sorry.

The Spantax Convairs were part of the European holiday flight revolution that really started in the 1960s, from Britain (first of all), then the rest of northern Europe, down to the Mediterranean. Fares on the likes of BEA in those days were way beyond the reach of most, but the package holiday business got going with holiday flights, ramping up at growth rates of 25% a year and more. At first their cheapness of the flight-transfer-hotel deal led to some notably old piston aircraft with minimal-pitch seats being selected, whose operators often went out of business from year to year, sometimes in the height of August with their travellers stranded in the Mediterranean. There were a number of bad mishaps with this old fleet, ending in the calamitous weekend in June 1967 when on Saturday an Air Ferry DC4 dating from USAF service in WW2 crashed into a mountain approaching Perpignan, on the French/Spanish border, with 88 poor souls packed in tightly (in a DC4 !), and the next day a British Midland Canadair Argonaut, a DC4-clone, crashed on the approaches to Manchester when returning from Palma, from which just a handful managed to be recovered before it was destroyed by fire. Both were due to worn-out aircraft components malfunctioning. Given that the UK holiday airline fleet ran to about 30-40 aircraft at the time, that was it for both the major holiday operators and the UK authorities; the Argonauts were grounded for good within days and in the next couple of years some big investments were made in new One-Elevens (in particular) and 737s.

Palma was always, and continues to be, the No 1 destination for all this activity. The market ever evolves, and from the 1990s onwards Eastern Europe opened up as well, while there has been a great downturn in holiday flights and their operators, replaced by scheduled services. The big European low cost operators are now here in droves, Ryanair and Easyjet both very prominent on our arrival, plus many others. Palma airport is a bit of a disappointment as a gateway, though, having lost what Spanish style it once had; step out at the gate and the first thing you see is a Burger King.

Out here at the other end of the island we still see plenty of aviation action while laying on the beach, up there at high level there are jet trails of much east-west traffic from Rome, Athens, Tel Aviv, etc, to Madrid and Lisbon, and indeed transatlantic traffic. Crossing them north-south are flights from northern Europe to Africa, those to Algiers start their descent around here, while evenings see all the overnight Johannesburg etc flights passing. A couple of nights ago we sat out on our balcony late evening, FlightRadar24 on the laptop in front, while Palma, now on Easterly departures off 06, launched an absolute fusillade of flights off to Germany, Scandinavia, Britain and elsewhere, at a rate that would have done credit to Heathrow, it just went on and on, as the lights of each drew level abeam us at about 10,000 feet the next could be seen starting to show in the distance above the trees.

On the beach, there is much sign of sandcastle building; this will make a change from lawnmower reports. Chief Structural Engineer and General Supervisor, Little Miss WHBM (aged 2.75), Chief Cosmetic Designer, ie where do the little flags go, Mrs WHBM , General Labourer, Wielder of the Bucket and Spade, Heavyweight Digger, etc etc, one WHBM (phew, where’s that beer …). Stand up, stretch, what’s that contrail overhead, ah yes. “Papa, dig …”. Oh well, back to work.

And so, I promised an OTAAQ question or two. Having been accused of recent ones being too easy  …

Convair 990, last operated by Spantax ... your mention of sunshine and 990s within E190 range of London, made this a no-brainer
we’ll have some more “interesting” ones

[1] Palma is the only commercial airport currently here on the island. But right here at Alcudia was once upon a time a notable stopping point for an international service run with 4-engined aircraft. Which airline, and which countries did the route connect ?

[2]. It’s, say, 1970, 45 years ago, and our forebears are making the same trip from London to Palma. What airliners, from which airlines, might they have to choose from ? A real keen type might give which London area airport each operated from.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 22, 2015 at 9:19 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I do apologize for the delay in response here. I spent Sunday night and Monday up at Chena Hot Springs - no internet access - and then yesterday driving back down, hurriedly packing and flying down to Seattle. At present I am ensconced in the Pacific Parlour Car tapping out this response while enroute to Portland, OR.

This may well have been Texas International operating a DC-9-30 shortly before all TI services were folded into Continental.

An excellent guess but alas - no. Indeed, I was unaware that TI ever even flew to Acapulco. However, as well as you know TI, jlemon, I'll accept that as fact and simply say they weren't flying any IAH-ACA flights per the schedule I've referenced.

How about a hint... The aircraft utilized was a 727-200...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- an all-Y 72S operating IAH-ACA might have worn Mexicana livery

our intrepid historical guru more often than not poses questions with less-than-obvious answers, but I'll stick with MX anyway
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

An all-Y 72S operating IAH-ACA might have worn Mexicana livery. Our intrepid historical guru more often than not poses questions with less-than-obvious answers, but I'll stick with MX anyway.

Mexicana would indeed seem an obvious choice given the 727-200 used on this flight, however I don't believe MX ever served IAH. Alas, we're still looking for another airline, an airline from north of the border...

As to "historical guru" - really now, I am flattered but ultimately unworthy. Rather, I'll have to cede that title to WHBM or jlemon. BTW, hope you found your way into the LAX Boardroom!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. Ah, that was a wild guess as I was not aware that Texas International ever served ACA, although they did serve a number of other Mexican destinations prior to being merged into Continental.....

And I'm pretty darn sure Mexicana never served IAH although they did serve SAT for many years as well as providing service in later years into DFW.

So perhaps this was actually CO operating a former TI DC9 or D9S that had not yet been reconfigured with an F cabin.....although that's probably wrong, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.