Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
21. There’s this little café in the Albuquerque Sunport that makes the most awesome gazpacho! Let’s go get some! Now Southwest and Texas International offer a multitude of direct flights between HOU/IAH and ABQ, but only one airline offers nonstop service with a single afternoon departure. Identify the airline and the equipment used on this route.

Perhaps "The Only Way To Fly" (nonstop, that is) from Albuquerque (ABQ) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time was on board a Boeing 727-200 operated by Western Airlines.

Correct you are, Sir. This flight continued from Albuquerque on to Salt Lake where a dinner was offered enroute.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
17. After having recovered sufficiently from three straight nights spent jamming with the world’s most talented and eclectic (though hardly its most popular) rock band, it’s high time to head across country to the Big Apple aboard the one and only all economy class configured flight operating between SFO and JFK. Please identify the airline as well as the aircraft utilized for this service.

Would this perhaps have been Capitol with a DC-10?

Right airline, but for this particular service the wrong airplane, J. That said, there aren't many options with CL, so I'll just tap in with the aircraft - a DC-8-61.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

Well, let's go even farther off the grid into wild-guess land for ABQ-BDL: how's about a Delta 72S, taking the long way via DFW and Ft Lauderdale (FLL)

Mebbe Etlanna, but FLL? Oooo - dat's putty far off da grid! Nope, we still lookin' fo anutha airline, routing and aircraft. Now please, try again before WHBM has to come over here and clean up!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ABQ-XXX-YYY-BDL ...
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Mebbe Etlanna, but FLL? Oooo - dat's putty far off da grid! Nope, we still lookin' fo anutha airline, routing and aircraft.
dat sho looks lak it sounds lak a Suthin accent to me

you have already vetoed AA (as well as UA and TW), but made no comment on my speculation of EA in that same post ... and I included ATL as one of the intermediate stops along with DFW

the only other wide-ranging Southern-based airline that comes to mind from 1982 was BN, but I can't place them at either ABQ or BDL (or ATL, for that matter)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

4. A sailing charter out of Acapulco goes awry and – after eight daze at sea – we wash ashore at Puerto Vallarta. Following a quick shower, a variety of tequila based cocktails and a hot meal – not necessarily in that order – we head out to the airport for our flight up to Los Angeles. Two airlines offer a single nonstop flight – one of them Mexican and the other American. We opt for the US carrier which offers a 4X weekly flight up to Los Angeles. Identify the airline and – if you like – the aircraft used.
4. Ah, sounds like we have "poor sailors syndrome" here, aided and abetted by enough tequila to sink a catamaran......

Therefore, the Poor Sailors Airline was probably chosen for the flight from PVR to LAX and the aircraft type operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines may well have been a B727-200.

And as for the Mexican carrier, I'll guess this was Mexicana, also with a 72S.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 15, 2015 at 7:45 pm
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 1982 ...
13. ... the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector.
I logged around 80 flights in 1982 while living in Seattle, but 50 of them were as Test Director on the #4 767 N603UA (also a bunch on various other flight test aircraft, including first flight and FAA First-of-Model certification flight on #12 "Spirit of Delta" N102DA)

I can actually think of six airlines that might have operated direct service between the Emerald City and the Valley of the Sun around that time (AirCal, PSA, Republic, United, Western, and Wien) ... however, I'm fairly confident that a nonstop belonged to one of the smaller carriers, so let's open the bidding with Wien and a 737-200
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22. Somehow the job managed to track down your whereabouts and has now reached out with a request to attend to a “little” matter outside of Hartford, Connecticut. Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows no nonstops and only a single direct flight between Albuquerque and Hartford. That flight makes two enroute stops. Sigh… Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the enroute stops. And what the heck – IF – after all that, you still feel up to it then go ahead and have a go at the aircraft type as well.

You have already vetoed AA (as well as UA and TW), but made no comment on my speculation of EA in that same post ... and I included ATL as one of the intermediate stops along with DFW

The only other wide-ranging Southern-based airline that comes to mind from 1982 was BN, but I can't place them at either ABQ or BDL (or ATL, for that matter)

Now just because I happened to employ a bit of rural accent doesn't necessarily mean the airline flying between ABQ and BDL was from the south - although it could have been...

That said, I do apologize for alas it would seem my small to medium sized reptilian brain was overcome by the plethora of responses to these questions and so I missed your answer regarding Eastern Airlines. Not that it matters too much though, because Eastern is also incorrect!

Now get out there and get me a correct answer before jlemon is forced to sweep in with the correct airline and routing!

And - just for fun, let's try re-entering the above response with an accent of no particular origin. How about Elmer Fudd's?

Now just because I happened to empwoy a bit of wuwaw accent doesn't necessawiwy mean the aiwwine fwying between ABQ and BDL was fwom the souf - awthough it couwd have been, uh-hah-hah-hah. ..

Dat said, I do apowogize fow awas it wouwd seem my smaww to medium sized weptiwian bwain was ovewcome by the pwethowa of wesponses to these qwestions and so I missed youw answew wegawding Eastewn Aiwwines. Oh, dat scwewy wabbit! Not that it mattews too much though, because Eastewn is awso incowwect!

Now get out thewe and get me a cowwect answew befowe jwemon is fowced to sweep in wif the cowwect aiwwine and wouting!

Hint: Think of all the airlines serving ABQ with jets in the first half of 1982...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 16, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
4. A sailing charter out of Acapulco goes awry and – after eight daze at sea – we wash ashore at Puerto Vallarta. Following a quick shower, a variety of tequila based cocktails and a hot meal – not necessarily in that order – we head out to the airport for our flight up to Los Angeles. Two airlines offer a single nonstop flight – one of them Mexican and the other American. We opt for the US carrier which offers a 4X weekly flight up to Los Angeles. Identify the airline and – if you like – the aircraft used.

Ah, sounds like we have "poor sailors syndrome" here, aided and abetted by enough tequila to sink a catamaran......

Therefore, the Poor Sailors Airline was probably chosen for the flight from PVR to LAX and the aircraft type operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines may well have been a B727-200.

And as for the Mexican carrier, I'll guess this was Mexicana, also with a 72S.

Indeed! Ay - PSA seemed an appropriate airline to fly given the circumstances. The aircraft was a 727-100 - an aircraft which I believe PSA divested itself of in the late 1960s and then brought back via some ex-Northwest birds. The 727-100 would have left PSA's fleet not long after this PVR-LAX flight as new and more fuel efficient DC-9-80s were delivered in the early 80s.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector.

I logged around 80 flights in 1982 while living in Seattle, but 50 of them were as Test Director on the #4 767 N603UA (also a bunch on various other flight test aircraft, including first flight and FAA First-of-Model certification flight on #12 "Spirit of Delta" N102DA)

I can actually think of six airlines that might have operated direct service between the Emerald City and the Valley of the Sun around that time (AirCal, PSA, Republic, United, Western, and Wien) ... however, I'm fairly confident that a nonstop belonged to one of the smaller carriers, so let's open the bidding with Wien and a 737-200.

An excellent guess, Sir, and one that I heartily concur with given Wien's southern expansion at the time. Unfortunately however, WC is not the correct answer in this instance. Please, guess again!

BTW, did any of your peregrinations as 767 Test Director take you up to Fairbanks for cold weather tests?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And now here are the remaining unanswered questions...

All questions are sourced from a 1982 Pocket Flight Guide

3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector. The airline is not WC or RC

14. Continuing on down to Portland, you find that eight airlines offer nonstop flights on the route utilizing aircraft ranging in size from turboprops to widebodies. Only three airlines offer flights aboard all Y class configured aircraft. Identify these three airlines and – if you’re up to it – the aircraft so configured by each airline. I N ..P L A Y QX F27 & WC 727 correct. Still looking for the other airline and aircraft

16. For reasons not germane to this quiz, we’ve decided to take a ride aboard Amtrak’s Sunset Limited between Palm Springs and Tucson, Arizona. Upon arrival in Tucson, we’ll enjoy a delicious breakfast burrito at Garcia’s across from the train station before relocating to the airport for this afternoon’s flight up to San Francisco. Two airlines offer nonstop service between TUS and SFO, but only one of the offers First Class service. You choose to buy a ticket in First Class aboard that flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying. Then, if you feel up to it, you could have a gander at what the other airline is and what type of aircraft it operates on the TUS-SFO route. A N S W E R E D

A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 19, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:39 pm

Here are my latest guesses:

3. Aeromexico, DC-9

13. Republic, 727-200
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one more shot at #22: CO, operating a 727-224 via DEN and EWR

BTW, did any of your peregrinations as 767 Test Director take you up to Fairbanks for cold weather tests?
nope, my first visit to the 49th state was last October

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 16, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
3. Vamanos á Mexico! This airline offers the only nonstop service between Houston and Acapulco via a single daily flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized.

Aeromexico, DC-9

You would think, especially considering we're looking for a flight aboard an all-economy class configured airplane. But no - we're looking for a different airline, flying a larger aircraft. Please guess again!

13. Three days of baking in Arizona’s extreme heat have you yearning for a hot cup of coffee on a cold rainy day in Washington’s Emerald City. While the PHX-SEA market is served by five airlines offering direct one-stop service, only a single nonstop flight is offered by one of the airlines. Identify the airline and – if you feel up to it – the aircraft utilized on the nonstop PHX-SEA sector.

Republic, 727-200

Right aircraft, wrong airline... There's a pretty good hint right there...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

One more shot at #22: CO, operating a 727-224 via DEN and EWR

Alrighty then - we've knocked off all the major airlines. Time to consider the regionals that spread their wings after deregulation. Hurry though! I can sense jlemon warming up his computer as I type...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

although I am supposed to be wrapping up work stuff, I will take a few minutes to speculate about this frustrating question one more time

22- ABQ-MSP-DTW-BDL, Republic, DC-9-30

speaking of "frustrating" ... I am currently #29 of 73 on the upgrade list for BWI-ATL at 1745 this evening (it's a 739 with 160 coach seats) ... luckily I was able to switch from a middle seat to the "bulkhead" window thanks to someone either SDCing or cancelling, and my ATL-SEA upgrade (also a 739) cleared a couple days ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.