Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good Morning from chilly Alaska! After spending an extra four hours on the road yesterday while two landslides and a washout were dealt with, I returned home late last night to find that FINALLY our IT problems appear to have been successfully addressed. This morning I have a good strong connection allowing me to once again dart about the web with vim and vigor.

As for the coming days' forecast:

http://www.wunderground.com/us/ak/denali-national-park

16. What type of aircraft was Alaska Airlines operating into Gustavus, Alaska (GST) in early 1976?

I'm going to guess they were operating a Grumman Goose. Alaska also operated some Twin Otters around the southeast, but let's go with the Goose...

17. Also in 1976, this U.S. based airline was operating daily service into Guaymas, Mexico (GYM). Name the airline and identify the aircraft type used by this air carrier to serve Guaymas. And here's a hint: this service was not operated by a commuter airline.

I'm reasonably certain this was Hughes Airwest, operating a DC-9 from Phoenix. I always had an interest in Guaymas because we vacationed there in 1967. We did not fly there on that trip, though. Instead we loaded up the family station wagon - complete with Sunfish sailboat strapped to the top - and drove from Colorado all the way down. I also had a long standing interest in Hughes Airwest and its bright yellow airplanes, having flown into or visited many of the airports it served around California and Arizona.
Howdy Seat 2A!

Looks like fall has arrived at Denali with old man winter just around the corner....

Deep blue skies and 86 degrees F here at present at the Acadiana Regional Airport (ARA) with very low humidity (38%) for this time of year in south Louisiana. Temps were in the low 60s F in spots in the area earlier this morning following the passage of our first cool front of the season yesterday.

Now if we can just dodge any potential tropical weather systems in the Caribbean while we are visiting Jamaica this coming week......

16. The Grumman Goose is an excellent guess (but was that a regular piston powered Goose or a turboprop "Turbo-Goose"? ). Well, it was neither.....it was a DHC-6 Twin Otter. I believe Alaska Air would later operate B737 equipment into Gustavus on a seasonal basis as I think GST serves as the gateway airport for Glacier Bay.

17. Yep, it was the Top Banana in the West: Hughes Airwest. However, the aircraft type was not a DC-9.....at this time, RW was operating a Fairchild F-27 on a daily round trip routing of Phoenix-Tucson-Guaymas.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by WHBM
... In my records the last 707 was indeed a 320C to an African airline, although not Sudan. ...
Nigeria?

Regarding the Tristars, the Alia aircraft were indeed towards the end of production, and seem to have been delivered throughout 1983, but there was one more went to an airline at the start of 1984. It probably turned up in The Americas most days thereafter.
APSA?

Were the Alia aircraft actually still at Palmdale in 1984 ? Most of their tails were red, although there does seem to have been one grey one
as I said, I'm pretty sure I remember a few TriStar tails other than N1011 on the PMD flightline through the end of '84 and the start of '85, although they might have been in for post-delivery mods or something like that

I interviewed for a L-1011 Flight Operations Engineer position at Lockheed Palmdale in the spring of 1978, but Boeing Commercial made me a better offer as a member of the Technical Staff ... at the time, I figured working with GE in preparation for introduction of the CF6-50 on the 747-200 would be rather more intriguing than maintaining flight manuals and operations manuals ... a few years later, when I spoke with the Lockheed manager at an AIAA conference, he mentioned that his staff were frequently out "riding the line" for a month or more at a time with airlines like BWIA, British Airways, and ANA (in addition to the more mundane trips with Delta, Eastern, and TWA)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
[707]Nigeria?
Thank you jrl for keeping this one a bit alive.

Yes, Nigerian Airways was the purchaser of the last 707 airliner off the line, number 929, at the very end of 1977. It was in 1989 it went to Dublin for that D-check which was never paid for so it never came back. A few years later the same thing happened to an A310 they sent to Brussels. I believe that for the Dublin one the funds, the best part of US$10m, were made available by the airline but intercepted along the way before the maintenance company received them ...

The very last (non-airline) 707 basic aircraft built at Renton was number 1012, as late as 1991, it was then adapted as an AWACS aircraft and delivered to the RAF; they can still be seen over Eastern England most days.

[L1011]APSA?
Afraid not. I'll finish this one off with the last Tristar off the line having been completed in January 1984, which went to TAP Portugal; theirs were used principally on runs from Lisbon to JFK, Rio, and such like. The Alia fleet did immediately precede it off the line through 1983.

Anyone else game for a stab at the others ?

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Afraid not. I'll finish this one off with the last Tristar off the line having been completed in January 1984, which went to TAP Portugal; theirs were used principally on runs from Lisbon to JFK, Rio, and such like. The Alia fleet did immediately precede it off the line through 1983.

Anyone else game for a stab at the others ?
Well, unfortunately, I do not have a clue with regard to the other aircraft.....but I am very much looking forward to the answers!

I do have a quick bonus quiz item concerning the L-1011, though.....

At one point, this airline was operating nonstop L-1011 service into LAX from two locations in the Caribbean. One flight operated once a week and the other flight operated twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the two airports in the Caribbean. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 13, 2015 at 9:50 am Reason: answer update
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Airline Posters

The New York Times has a nice slide show of airline posters that might appeal to folks on this forum:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...lide-SX4N.html
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

2. What airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Anchorage and Dawson City in the Yukon in 1967? Also identify the aircraft type operated on the route.
2. Time to provide an answer.....this was Cordova Airlines (CD) operating a Convair 240. And for the record, my hint was in error as Cordova was based in Alaska. However, by 1968 Cordova Airlines had been acquired by Alaska Airlines which was (and is) based in the Seattle area. Several flights operated by Cordova with the CV-240 appeared in a 1967 AS timetable. Alaska Air was also operating the CV-240 at this time.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. In 1993, two airlines were operating nonstop between the Seychelles and Nairobi. One air carrier operated once a week and the second airline flew twice a week. Each air carrier operated different equipment on the route. Identify both as well as the respective aircraft.
11. Air Seychelles (HM) operating a B757-200 once a week and Kenya Airways (KQ) flying an A310 twice a week. The Air Seychelles service actually a flew a round trip routing of Mahe Island, Seychelles (SEZ) - Nairobi (NBO) - Madrid (MAD) and was a joint operation with Iberia (IB).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. Identify a commuter airline that served San Francisco (SFO) with the Australian-manufactured GAF "Nomad" STOL capable twin turboprop.

18. In 1994, three airlines were operating nonstop service to St. Maarten (SXM) from the New York area. Two airlines operated from the same NYC area airport and the third air carrier operated from another area airport. Airline #1 operated daily, airline #2 flew six days a week and airline #3 operated four days a week. Two of the air carriers flew the same type of equipment and the third airline operated a different aircraft type. Name all three airlines and the respective aircraft they operated on the route. Partially answered
13. Century Airlines which I believe was based in Eureka, CA. In 1981, the primary route operated by Century with the GAF "Nomad" was San Francisco (SFO) - Chico (CIC) with up to five round trips a day.

18. #1 - American (AA) with a B757-200 JFK-SXM,
#2 - Continental (CO) with a B727-200 EWR-SXM-ANU-EWR and
#3 - Antigua Paradise Airways (HU) with B727-200 EWR-SXM-ANU.

According to the OAG, Antigua Paradise Airways was based in Manassas, VA and was only operating two flights four days a week: ANU-EWR and EWR-SXM-ANU.

And with that, we are off to Jamaica very early tomorrow morning. This is jlemon, over and out.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 29, 2015 at 5:58 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:41 pm

Consolidating a couple of recent bonus questions from myself and JL, and adding several others, I thought I'd put together some questions for the last airliners of a type delivered new to an airline. Bonus for getting the date roughly right as well. So which carrier took the last of the line :
- DC8
- Hawker Siddeley Trident
The last DC-8 went to SAS. Flight International had a nice picture of it climbing away from LGB on its delivery flight.

I'll guess the last Trident went to CAAC.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I do have a quick bonus quiz item concerning the L-1011, though.....

At one point, this airline was operating nonstop L-1011 service into LAX from two locations in the Caribbean. One flight operated once a week and the other flight operated twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the two airports in the Caribbean.
if I recall correctly, Delta ran a bi-weekly LAX-San Juan (SJU) nonstop with the TriStar; I'm thinking they may have run a LAX-Montego Bay (MBJ) trip as well for a short time
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good Morning from chilly Alaska! After spending an extra four hours on the road yesterday while two landslides and a washout were dealt with, I returned home late last night to find that FINALLY our IT problems appear to have been successfully addressed. This morning I have a good strong connection allowing me to once again dart about the web with vim and vigor.
Assuming that you are not stuck in a landslide, wonder if you had any information on POTUS' trip to Alaska. Specifically, I am interested to know what type of equipment he used to fly to DLG & OTZ. I've not been able to find any articles or photos online. I assume giving runway lengths, he flew on a USAF C-32. But, it would be interesting to know if it was otherwise. Has his trip involved any USCG or other non-USAF aircraft, other than USMC helicopters?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
wonder if you had any information on POTUS' trip to Alaska. Specifically, I am interested to know what type of equipment he used to fly to DLG & OTZ. I've not been able to find any articles or photos online. I assume giving runway lengths, he flew on a USAF C-32.
I presume the US President, unlike a Future King over here, was not at the controls of the aircraft himself going into a short strip (in a 146).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pr...h-1592247.html

Damage of £1m is a gross understatement. Over £10m would be nearer the mark. It wasn't just burst tyres, it was a complete off the end of the runway into the rough grass.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Wonder if you had any information on POTUS' trip to Alaska. Specifically, I am interested to know what type of equipment he used to fly to DLG & OTZ. I've not been able to find any articles or photos online. I assume giving runway lengths, he flew on a USAF C-32.
Upon receipt of this, I took a casual look around the Anchorage and Fairbanks papers looking for any written or photographic answers to your query. It appears he did indeed fly into DLG aboard a 757 (C-32)

http://www.scoopnest.com/user/ktva/639157575594807296

http://www.breakingnews.com/item/201...ing-salmon-as/ (Scroll down a wee bit)

This shot of POTUS' arrival at OTZ appears to show the nose of a C-32 in the background...

http://www.adn.com/article/20150902/...-trip-kotzebue
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
if I recall correctly, Delta ran a bi-weekly LAX-San Juan (SJU) nonstop with the TriStar; I'm thinking they may have run a LAX-Montego Bay (MBJ) trip as well for a short time
Hmmmmmm.....I can find no evidence concerning Delta operating the L-1011 nonstop between LAX and San Juan. They may well have but I cannot find any schedules to confirm this.

Now I did find nonstop SJU-LAX service flown by Delta in the early 1970's....but not with the TriStar. The aircraft type operated on the route was a Super DC-8. Here's a sched example from 1974....

DL 981: SJU 10:00p - 1:40a LAX
Op: Daily except Tues. & Weds.
Equip: D8S

By 1976, there were two Delta operated flights flown with the Super DC-8 from San Juan to Los Angeles; however, they both made one intermediate stop en route in New Orleans (MSY). One flight operated daily and the other only operated on Fridays and Saturdays.

By the late 1970's, Delta was operating the L-1011 between SJU and LAX; however, intermediate stops were made en route. For example, in 1979 DL was operating the L10 on two daily flights from San Juan to Los Angeles. Routings were SJU-MSY-LAX and SJU-MIA-ATL-DFW-LAX. Also by this time, Delta was no longer serving Montego Bay in Jamaica (they are now, of course).

So you have named one of the Caribbean destinations correctly: Montego Bay.

And speaking of Montego Bay, we departed from Jamaica to ATL yesterday afternoon on board a Delta B737-800 in the front cabin after visiting the Club MoBay VIP lounge (which has a great view of the MBJ runway and ramp) where we enjoyed several excellent rum drinks as well as Jamaican pumpkin soup (with a dash of locally made scotch bonnet pepper sauce just for fun ).

It was beautiful day for flying over the Caribbean with numerous huge thunderstorms over Cuba. I did get to see the airfields at Ciego de Avila and Cayo Coco before we headed to Bimini in the Bahamas with Freeport visible out to the east. We stayed just offshore of the east coast of Florida to avoid weather before making landfall near St. Augustine. Of course, there was another big thunderstorm just north of ATL making air traffic interesting for all concerned but we made it into the airport just fine (several other flights had to divert). It took us over an hour to clear customs (a rather inefficient CBP op there at Atlanta with not enough staff) before we made our way to the AA Admirals Club prior to catching our connecting flight home to LFT.

We then chased the sunset on board a Delta B717-200 in the front cabin and a truly beautiful sunset it was, at one point silhouetted by a big thunderstorm just north of Laurel, Mississippi. Home again and our little pup Miss Bella was delighted to see us.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 5, 2015 at 11:36 am Reason: additional info
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At one point, this airline was operating nonstop L-1011 service into LAX from two locations in the Caribbean. One flight operated once a week and the other flight operated twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the two airports in the Caribbean.

Air Jamaica with nonstop L-1011 service from Montego Bay and Kingston to LAX

And this bonus item has now been ANSWERED......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 13, 2015 at 9:54 am Reason: answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.