Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
3) No jet or turboprop service on a YYC-YXD shuttle route at this time. In fact, PWA had not yet begun operating the Boeing 737-200 and the Convair 640 equipment was deployed on other routes. So according to the timetable, all service between Calgary and Edmonton was being flown with DC-6 aircraft (although I would not be surprised to see a DC-6B in the mix as well).
Although I couldn't remember the exact equipment mix on the shuttle in 1968, I just found the attached schedule for 1969 that showed all 3 aircraft types in action -- in fact there's a 7a departure from YXD with a choice of 737 or 640 -- kind of strange, but I suppose one was a continuing flight from further north.

Also, I forgot to mention that YXD was closed in 2013 (it was Canada's first licensed airport - 1929), so if you haven't been there yet, it's too late to add it to your list!
Attached Images  
Old May 23, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. It's the winter of 1966 and you are in Denver. An old friend has invited you for a visit at his new home outside of Kansas City. So you book a flight on a classic milk run flight from DEN to MKC. You'll make seven (7) intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the equipment and all eight stops in order. ANSWERED

4. It's the summer of 1967 and you are in Fort Worth. You need to travel to Orlando for a meeting. You ascertain there is a direct flight departing from the closest airport to your location which makes three intermediate stops en route. Better yet, a first class seat is available. Identify the airport you'll be departing from along with the airline, the aircraft type and the three intermediate stops in order.
The above quiz items are still in play.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 24, 2016 at 11:40 am Reason: answer update
Old May 23, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

7. It's 1965 and you are in New York City where you've just completed a project as a consultant. The phone rings and you have a hunch who it might be before you even pick up the phone. "Hey buddy!" you hear, "It's time to go sailing!" Yep, it's your old friend from Santa Barbara. "So where are you on this fine evening?" you ask and the reply is "The Honolulu Yacht Club! And you won't believe the great deal I just made on a practically new 50 foot monohull!" And so, you begin to research flights. There's a departure from JFK at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning which will get you into HNL at 9:12 pm. So you book a pair of first class seats, one for you and one for your lady friend. The flight you'll be traveling on makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops in the order in which they will be made. And for bonus points, what was the name this airline used to market its flights to Hawaii? ANSWERED

9. It's 1967 and you are back in New York City working on yet another project. Your location is very close to LaGuardia Airport. You need to attend a meeting in Los Angeles so you book a flight departing from LGA at 2:00 pm which arrives at LAX at 7:45 pm. This flight makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three stops in order.

10. In 1968, only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727-100 service nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Salt Lake City (SLC). Name the airline. ANSWERED
And these quiz items also remain on the loose and looking for answers.

Last edited by jlemon; May 24, 2016 at 11:41 am Reason: answer update
Old May 23, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

3. It's the winter of 1966 and you are in Denver. An old friend has invited you for a visit at his new home outside of Kansas City. So you book a flight on a classic milk run flight from DEN to MKC. You'll make eight intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the equipment and all eight stops in order.
I'll give this a try, but I come up with 9 intermediate stops -- Central Airlines with DC-3 service: DEN-Pueblo (PUB)-Lamar (LAA)-Garden City (GCK)-Dodge City (DDC)-Great Bend (GBD)-Hutchinson (HUT)-Wichita (ICT)-Topeka (TOP)-Salina (SLN)-MKC.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
10. In 1968, only one air carrier was operating Boeing 727-100 service nonstop between Los Angeles (LAX) and Salt Lake City (SLC). Name the airline.
Last effort for today -- best guess is Western.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10- LAX-SLC on a 727: I don't think WA ever had the -100, and I think UA is too obvious a guess, so I'll posit this was Air West
Old May 24, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BA
7. It's 1965 and you are in New York City ... There's a departure from JFK at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning which will get you into HNL at 9:12 pm. ... The flight you'll be traveling on makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops in the order in which they will be made.
My guess here is that the only three US carriers mainstream serving Hawaii at the time were United, Pan Am and Northwest. Pan Am only went from the west coast. United didn't used schedule times down to the minute on the route, only the normal 5-minute increments. Northwest did, though, so I'll go for them, with a Boeing 707. Three stops ? Let's say Chicago, Minneapolis and Seattle.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq

Also, I forgot to mention that YXD was closed in 2013 (it was Canada's first licensed airport - 1929), so if you haven't been there yet, it's too late to add it to your list!
Ah, I remember this airfield. YXD changed names several times over the years (Edmonton Industrial, Edmonton City Centre, Blatchford Field) before it was permanently closed. I only flew out of YXD once, on a CP Air flight to Calgary operated with a Boeing 737-200.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll give this a try, but I come up with 9 intermediate stops -- Central Airlines with DC-3 service: DEN-Pueblo (PUB)-Lamar (LAA)-Garden City (GCK)-Dodge City (DDC)-Great Bend (GBD)-Hutchinson (HUT)-Wichita (ICT)-Topeka (TOP)-Salina (SLN)-MKC.
Central Airlines operating a DC-3 is correct!

However, I went back and took a look at this and there were actually only seven (7) intermediate stops between DEN and MKC.

Here's how you did concerning the routing:

Denver (DEN)
1) ______________
2) Pueblo (PUB)
3) ______________
4) ______________
5) ______________
6) ______________
7) ______________
Kansas City (MKC)
Old May 24, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last effort for today -- best guess is Western.
Alas, no....and as jrl767 points out, Western never operated the Boeing 727-100.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
10- LAX-SLC on a 727: I don't think WA ever had the -100, and I think UA is too obvious a guess, so I'll posit this was Air West
Air West is correct! Following the merger of Bonanza, Pacific and West Coast, the Boeing 727-100 equipment formerly operated by Pacific Airlines was flown by Air West for a time. Besides LAX-SLC, other RW routes featuring 727 service in 1968 included:

* LAX-LAS
* LAX-MRY
* MRY-LAX-LAS
* LAS-FAT-SFO
* SFO-SBA
* SFO-SJC-LAS
* SFO-FAT-LAX

Air West operated the 727 in one class service (either Y or K depending on the route). RW then removed the 727s from their fleet as additional DC-9-30 aircraft were acquired. Of course, Hughes Airwest subsequently added B727-200s to their fleet in later years.

Last edited by jlemon; May 24, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old May 24, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
My guess here is that the only three US carriers mainstream serving Hawaii at the time were United, Pan Am and Northwest. Pan Am only went from the west coast. United didn't used schedule times down to the minute on the route, only the normal 5-minute increments. Northwest did, though, so I'll go for them, with a Boeing 707. Three stops ? Let's say Chicago, Minneapolis and Seattle.
Northwest is correct!

However, the equipment operated was not a Boeing 707 and Minneapolis/St. Paul was not one of the stops. ORD and SEA are correct.

Plus, we are still looking for the marketing name NW assigned to their Hawaii service.

Please guess again, sir!
Old May 24, 2016, 10:10 am

Central Airlines operating a DC-3 is correct!

However, I went back and took a look at this and there were actually only seven (7) intermediate stops between DEN and MKC.

Here's how you did concerning the routing:

Denver (DEN)
1) ______________
2) Pueblo (PUB)
3) ______________
4) ______________
5) ______________
6) ______________
7) ______________
Kansas City (MKC)
OK -- I was looking at flight 91, which had 9 stops. You must be looking at flight 66, which had a very different routing: DEN - Colorado Springs (COS) - Pueblo (PUB) - Amarillo (AMA) - Borger (BGD) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - Bartlesville (BVD) - Parsons (PPF) - Kansas City. Am I getting close?
Old May 24, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
7. It's 1965 ... There's a departure from JFK at the civilized time of 11:35 am the next morning which will get you into HNL at 9:12 pm. So you book a pair of first class seats, one for you and one for your lady friend. The flight you'll be traveling on makes three intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, the equipment and all three stops in the order in which they will be made. And for bonus points, what was the name this airline used to market its flights to Hawaii?.
Originally Posted by WHBM
Northwest is correct!

However, the equipment operated was not a Boeing 707 and Minneapolis/St. Paul was not one of the stops. ORD and SEA are correct.

Plus, we are still looking for the marketing name NW assigned to their Hawaii service.

Please guess again, sir!
since it's not a 707-351B/C, it was a 720-051B ... and that jet's legs dictated that the overwater segment be as short as possible, so the third stop was Portland (PDX)

I believe NW called the flight the "Royal Aloha Jet"
Old May 24, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK -- I was looking at flight 91, which had 9 stops. You must be looking at flight 66, which had a very different routing: DEN - Colorado Springs (COS) - Pueblo (PUB) - Amarillo (AMA) - Borger (BGD) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - Bartlesville (BVD) - Parsons (PPF) - Kansas City. Am I getting close?
Not only close....you've nailed it! This DC-3 service operated by Central Airlines departed DEN at 11:40a and arrived in MKC at 7:55p. Following the acquisition of Central by Frontier, FL flew a Convair 600 turboprop formerly operated by Central on a routing of AMA-BGD-OKC-BVD-MKC. And that was last time little ol' Borger in the Texas panhandle had scheduled air service....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.