Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
1. Back in the early 1970s, New Haven, Connecticut enjoyed mainline jet service via Eastern Airlines DC-9-30s that flew up from Washington National. Through the eighties, propeller driven commuter aircraft provided the only lift out of the city. Now, in 1992, mainline jets have returned thanks to __________________ which operates three daily flights with __________ jets ~ two from __________ and one from ______________.
I lived in Connecticut in the early 1990s and flew at least once from HVN. That was UA to ORD and I am nearly certain that the aircraft was a 737. So I'll try two 737 flights from ORD and one from IAD.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jrl767
MEX-IAH on PA 90 (which then indeed continued to LGW) ... as I often did in those years
I recall flying through Gatwick in what must be 1982 and seeing the Pan Am Tristar sat late afternoon, well after departure time of the Houston flight, sat over in the remote parking area on the south side of the runway, opposite side to the terminal. Must have run into some snag. They were not a common sight in Britain then, but a couple of the Pan Am ones, which were all sold after a few years, came to the RAF who have got more than 30 years further service out of them, and one, now ZE705, is still flying.

I mentioned reading an Aviation Week feature article about the Autoland capability of the L-1011-500
I believe there's still a widespread opinion that the Tristar autoland has never been beaten, and that the test pilots had it in crosswinds well beyond the certified values and it behaved impeccably.

The basic concepts of Autoland as we now know it was principally developed on the Hawker Siddeley Trident in the mid 1960s (there was a somewhat different French system on a few of the Caravelle), and more than one BEA Trident was loaned to the development team for some years. US developments at the time were based around augmenting information presented to pilots, whereas the UK approach was for fully automatic operation. The first Trident Autoland was in 1965, although the team had been working on it for 20 years previously.

What this has to do with the Tristar is that once developed, the key engineers were rather forgotten, R&D funding reduced, and a number of the brightest members were picked off by Lockheed to leave dreary Bedfordshire, where they were based, for the bright lights of Beautiful Downtown Burbank, where they arrived with all their good further ideas there had been no money for previously.

BEA, and later British Airways, used to give out a special tie (scarf for the ladies) to early days passengers who had been on an Autoland arrival at Heathrow, which turn up occasionally on eBay.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:38 pm

24. Despite the short distances involved, US Airways operates intra-state mainline jet service to five North Carolina Cities from Charlotte. Identify those cities.
I'll try Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Greenville.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I'll try Raleigh-Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Greenville.
Asheville
Old May 31, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS LATE 1997
46. Every Saturday morning between 9:15am and 9:30am, four Continental Airlines jetliners depart Newark International Airport bound for four airports in Colorado. One of the airplanes is an MD-80, another is a 737-500 and the other two are 757-200s. Can you identify which airport each of these aircraft flew to?
first guesses: the destinations are Denver (DEN)x2, Vail/Eagle (EGE), and Hayden/Steamboat Springs (HDN); DEN got the M80/735, and the ski centers got the bigger 757s

47. ... you come across an ad for an airline you’ve never heard of but one that nonetheless promises low fares to both Tampa and Orlando from Boston. A quick call to their -800 number reveals that the airline offers a direct flight between Boston and Tampa but that two intermediate stops will be made enroute. ... Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops that you’ll make enroute to Tampa.
I have to think this was AirTran (recently sprung from the ill-fated ValuJet, hence the "never heard of") with a DC9-30 stopping at Dulles and Atlanta
Old May 31, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel
1. Back in the early 1970s, New Haven, Connecticut enjoyed mainline jet service via Eastern Airlines DC-9-30s that flew up from Washington National. Through the eighties, propeller driven commuter aircraft provided the only lift out of the city. Now, in 1992, mainline jets have returned thanks to __________________ which operates three daily flights with __________ jets ~ two from __________ and one from ______________.

I lived in Connecticut in the early 1990s and flew at least once from HVN. That was UA to ORD and I am nearly certain that the aircraft was a 737. So I'll try two 737 flights from ORD and one from IAD.

You're off to a good start, kochleffel. United did indeed operate two daily 737s between New Haven and Chicago - one a -300, the other a -500. However, the other airport was not Washington Dulles, nor any of the three Washington area airports.

Care to have another go at the second airport?

24. Despite the short distances involved, US Airways operates intra-state mainline jet service to five North Carolina Cities from Charlotte. Identify those cities.

Raleigh Durham and Fayetteville are correct! We're still looking for three more...

Originally Posted by moondog
Asheville
Good job, MD. Now we need just two more...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 31, 2016 at 10:31 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
46. Every Saturday morning between 9:15am and 9:30am, four Continental Airlines jetliners depart Newark International Airport bound for four airports in Colorado. One of the airplanes is an MD-80, another is a 737-500 and the other two are 757-200s. Can you identify which airport each of these aircraft flew to?

First guesses: The destinations are Denver (DEN)x2, Vail/Eagle (EGE), and Hayden/Steamboat Springs (HDN); DEN got the M80/735, and the ski centers got the bigger 757s.

We're looking for four distinct airports here, so while you're off to a good start with DEN, EGE and HDN - we'll need one more destination from you.

As to the equipment, 757-200s to EGE and HDN are correct. Let's let you decide between DEN and XXX for the other equipment. G'wan, now...

47. A big Nor’easter is bearing down on The Cape bringing wicked cold and up to 5” of snow. You quickly decide to flip the tables on Mother Nature and fly down the coast to Tampa where sunny skies and temperatures in the 80s are projected for the weekend. Unfortunately, with less than seven days advance notice, you soon discover that airfares on all the usual airlines are way too expensive given your meager wage as an anchovy trainer out at Woods Hole. Sigh… guess you’ll be putting on snow tires and shoveling snow this weekend after all…

The next day, while casually perusing the sports section of the Boston Globe, (Awright! The Bruins won!!!) you come across an ad for an airline you’ve never heard of but one that nonetheless promises low fares to both Tampa and Orlando from Boston. A quick call to their -800 number reveals that the airline offers a direct flight between Boston and Tampa but that two intermediate stops will be made enroute. The price is right – even for an Anchovy Trainer – and so you quickly make a reservation and then start packing your bags.

Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops that you’ll make enroute to Tampa.

I have to think this was AirTran (recently sprung from the ill-fated ValuJet, hence the "never heard of") with a DC9-30 stopping at Dulles and Atlanta.

An excellent guess - one I would likely have gone with as well had I not known better via the OAG I used to reference this question. But no, we're looking for a different airline here.

Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:20 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
9. The Oklahoma City to Kansas City route used to be Braniff country. Not anymore. In mid-1992 the only nonstop service is provided via this airline with six mostly daily flights. Name it.
I will say Southwest Airlines with the different variants of the B737.

12. If you want to fly aboard a 737-400 out of Albuquerque, there’s only a single flight departing each day. Identify the airline and the destination airport.
Again, Southwest Airlines to Houston Hobby as DAL was restricted by the Wright Amendment at this time.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
47. A big Nor’easter is bearing down on The Cape bringing wicked cold and up to 5” of snow. You quickly decide to flip the tables on Mother Nature and fly down the coast to Tampa where sunny skies and temperatures in the 80s are projected for the weekend. Unfortunately, with less than seven days advance notice, you soon discover that airfares on all the usual airlines are way too expensive given your meager wage as an Anchovy Trainer out at Woods Hole. Sigh… guess you’ll be putting on snow tires and shoveling snow this weekend after all…

The next day, while casually perusing the sports section of the Boston Globe, (Awright! The Bruins won!!!) you come across an ad for an airline you’ve never heard of but one that nonetheless promises low fares to both Tampa and Orlando from Boston. A quick call to their -800 number reveals that the airline offers a direct flight between Boston and Tampa but that two intermediate stops will be made enroute. The price is right – even for an Anchovy Trainer – and so you quickly make a reservation and then start packing your bags.

Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops that you’ll make enroute to Tampa.
How about Pan-American Airways with stops at JFK and Washington-Dulles along the way. This was a new airline that bought the rights to the Pan Am name. They also had only Airbus A300's in their fleet.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:36 am

49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.
I don't think even Southwest, who were ramping up at Nashville at the time, would have gone this far, so I'll say it was someone from the other end of the route, Western Pacific, who were trying to make a hub at Colorado Springs. Nashville traffic probably looked fair game as American were giving up their short-lived hub there, although Nashville had always been an American major point ever since the 1930s on their transcontinental route, and most of what WP offered through Colorado Springs was duplicated by AA maintaining a high frequency operation to DFW and onward.

Western Pacific was an all-737 airline, notable that they did full-size advertising on their aircraft for various businesses, at the same time as Ryanair were doing this.

I've only been to Colorado Springs once, passing through in 1974 on a Greyhound bus one weekend morning heading from Santa Fe to Denver. It didn't look very significant then and I wonder whether that's changed ...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
12. If you want to fly aboard a 737-400 out of Albuquerque, there’s only a single flight departing each day. Identify the airline and the destination airport.
Originally Posted by teddybear99
Southwest Airlines to Houston Hobby as DAL was restricted by the Wright Amendment at this time.
to my knowledge WN never operated the -400 ... this was more likely USAir to their Pittsburgh hub

46- hmmmmmmm .... skipped right over that "four distinct airports" ... just off my 116th redeye (out of 2400+ flights) yesterday morning, not that that's ever been an excuse

didn't CO also operate EWR-Telluride (TEX) during ski season? if so, that would probably have been the 735, leaving the MadDog on the EWR-DEN trip

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 1, 2016 at 4:59 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
11. I'll go with AC Vancouver to LA; QF JFK-LAX and CO but not sure from where...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28. These days, American Eagle will fly you nonstop between Los Angeles and Eugene, OR aboard a CRJ-700. Back in early 1992, this route was serviced with a single nonstop flight aboard a different airline and aircraft. Identify both, please.
I can attest that, on 29 March, this LAX-EUG flight was operated by N216NN, a Compass Airlines ERJ-175 in American Eagle livery ... imo a far better flight experience than a CRJ-700

in 1996 the trip was probably still in the USAir timetable ... not sure if the ex-PSA BAe 146s were still in service; if not, maybe a 737-300

33. The fiercely competitive route between Colorado Springs is the beneficiary of nonstop service from three airlines. Identify the airlines and the equipment each operates on this route.
can we please learn the competitive destination?

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 1, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:48 am

LAX-EUG ... in 1992 the trip was probably still in the USAir timetable ... not sure if the ex-PSA BAe 146s were still in service; if not, maybe a 737-300
All the ex-PSA BAe146s were withdrawn in one hit in May 1991 and stored at Mojave. It took quite some years before they started coming back to European operators, where quite a number of different airlines operating into London City took advantage of them at decidedly low prices. I went in a fair few over time, and despite their years baked in the sun I never had a mechanical delay from one.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:46 am

Ford Trimotor

The Experimental Aircraft Association is bringing its Ford Trimotor to my local airport this week. Should I book a 15-minute flight? Anyone done this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.