Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
YES! my son and I did this at HEF (Manassas VA) about 10 years ago ... fabulous experience! ... I may even be able to find a pic or two
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Thanks! I've booked it for Friday.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
The Experimental Aircraft Association is bringing its Ford Trimotor to my local airport this week. Should I book a 15-minute flight? Anyone done this?
Oh, go for it. You can be our official Trimotor reporter and let us know what it's like inside and out I've always had the impression that it's noisy.

My best was a De Havilland DH.83 Fox Moth, of similar vintage. Closed 4-seat cabin but open cockpit.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I will have to wait until I get back home to Seattle next week to see if my Tri-Motor photos are on that computer

unfortunately I have no pix of my around-the-patch ride in a Fairchild 24A that one of my Air Force project managers kept at New Carlisle OH (which is a grass strip, so a really authentic experience)
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
9. The Oklahoma City to Kansas City route used to be Braniff country. Not anymore. In mid-1992 the only nonstop service is provided via this airline with six mostly daily flights. Name it.

I will say Southwest Airlines with the different variants of the B737.

Correct! Southwest offered four 737-200 and two 737-500 flights most days of the week.

47. A big Nor’easter is bearing down on The Cape bringing wicked cold and up to 5” of snow. You quickly decide to flip the tables on Mother Nature and fly down the coast to Tampa where sunny skies and temperatures in the 80s are projected for the weekend. Unfortunately, with less than seven days advance notice, you soon discover that airfares on all the usual airlines are way too expensive given your meager wage as an Anchovy Trainer out at Woods Hole. Sigh… guess you’ll be putting on snow tires and shoveling snow this weekend after all…

The next day, while casually perusing the sports section of the Boston Globe, (Awright! The Bruins won!!!) you come across an ad for an airline you’ve never heard of but one that nonetheless promises low fares to both Tampa and Orlando from Boston. A quick call to their -800 number reveals that the airline offers a direct flight between Boston and Tampa but that two intermediate stops will be made enroute. The price is right – even for an Anchovy Trainer – and so you quickly make a reservation and then start packing your bags.

Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two intermediate stops that you’ll make enroute to Tampa.

How about Pan-American Airways with stops at JFK and Washington-Dulles along the way. This was a new airline that bought the rights to the Pan Am name. They also had only Airbus A300's in their fleet.

No, it was not Pan Am. The Pan Am version of which you speak was, I believe, operated by Portsmouth, New Hampshire-based Guilford Transportation Industries from 1998 through 2004. I wasn't aware of any A300s in that version's fleet though. It had only 727-200s.

As for this question, the search for the correct airline continues. Please - guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 1, 2016 at 9:17 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
46- hmmmmmmm .... skipped right over that "four distinct airports" ... just off my 116th redeye (out of 2400+ flights) yesterday morning, not that that's ever been an excuse

didn't CO also operate EWR-Telluride (TEX) during ski season? if so, that would probably have been the 735, leaving the MadDog on the EWR-DEN trip
46. No scheduled jet service has ever been operated into Telluride (TEX) to the best of my knowledge....although I do know a gentleman who has flown a Gulfstream GV in there several times. TEX can be a challenging airfield, what with a field elevation of 9,070 feet and terrain rising to over 14,000 feet on several points of the compass, especially during summer thunderstorms or winter snowstorms. I think the biggest aircraft ever to serve Telluride were the Dash 8-100 and Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia.

So I'll guess the fourth airport served by Continental at that time was Gunnison (GUC) located near the Crested Butte ski area and the airplane was the B737-500.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
12. If you want to fly aboard a 737-400 out of Albuquerque, there’s only a single flight departing each day. Identify the airline and the destination airport.

Again, Southwest Airlines to Houston Hobby as DAL was restricted by the Wright Amendment at this time.

Per jrl767: To my knowledge WN never operated the -400 ... this was more likely USAir to their Pittsburgh hub

Our man in Seattle is correct in his assertion that Southwest never operated the 737-400. US Air did though and was indeed the airline involved here - however the nonstop destination from Albuquerque was not Pittsburgh.

So - we're halfway home on this one...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

15. Once upon a time, Nantucket, MA was the beneficiary of DC-9 jet flights from the likes of Northeast and New York Air. These days (1992), Nantucket is served by just a single jet flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the route.
15. I'll guess this was seasonal service during the summer months operated by Continental with a MD-80 between ACK and EWR.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
[b]49. Who’d’ve ever thought that there would be sufficient demand to offer not one but three nonstop flights between Nashville and Colorado Springs? Not me. But yes, it turns out that in 1997 there are three almost daily jet flights between these two cities. Identify the airline and the aircraft utilized, please.b]

I don't think even Southwest, who were ramping up at Nashville at the time, would have gone this far, so I'll say it was someone from the other end of the route, Western Pacific, who were trying to make a hub at Colorado Springs. Nashville traffic probably looked fair game as American were giving up their short-lived hub there, although Nashville had always been an American major point ever since the 1930s on their transcontinental route, and most of what WP offered through Colorado Springs was duplicated by AA maintaining a high frequency operation to DFW and onward.

Western Pacific was an all-737 airline, notable that they did full-size advertising on their aircraft for various businesses, at the same time as Ryanair were doing this.

An excellent guess! Western Pacific commenced operations from its Colorado Springs hub in April of 1995. By June of 1997 however, it had moved its operations to Denver International Airport, located 70 miles north.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/02/bu...ve-denver.html

Alas, Western Pacific had already relocated to Denver by the time the OAG I've used to reference these questions was published. Still, for a guy who lives 4000+ miles away and hasn't been through Colorado Springs since 1994, the depth and scope of your knowledge remains impressive in the extreme. As such, I've every confidence you'll knock this one off on your second go round.

Please - guess again!

I've only been to Colorado Springs once, passing through in 1974 on a Greyhound bus one weekend morning heading from Santa Fe to Denver. It didn't look very significant then and I wonder whether that's changed ...

http://www.visitcos.com/
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12- since not PIT, US perhaps ran their 734 from ABQ to their other hub at CLT

49- the first WP 733 that I saw was decorated with The Simpsons cartoon characters ...
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Oh, go for it. You can be our official Trimotor reporter and let us know what it's like inside and out I've always had the impression that it's noisy.

My best was a De Havilland DH.83 Fox Moth, of similar vintage. Closed 4-seat cabin but open cockpit.
A local enthusiast who has flown in it told the newspaper that it's noisier than current aircraft.

I'm from northern Ohio and old enough to remember when Island Airlines operated Trimotor service between Port Clinton and the Lake Erie islands. Today those routes are flown by Griffing Flying Service using single-engine Pipers; "Island Air Taxi," based on one of the islands, also flies a Piper. Griffing owns a Britten-Norman Islander but it appears not to be flying.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
46. Every Saturday morning between 9:15am and 9:30am, four Continental Airlines jetliners depart Newark International Airport bound for four airports in Colorado. One of the airplanes is an MD-80, another is a 737-500 and the other two are 757-200s. Can you identify which airport each of these aircraft flew to?

(Steamboat Springs and Vail/Eagle already identified with 757 services. Denver also identified)

Didn't CO also operate EWR-Telluride (TEX) during ski season? If so, that would probably have been the 735, leaving the MadDog on the EWR-DEN trip

CO never did operate 737s into Telluride. So far as I know - aside from private jets - the airport has never received commercial jet service. I believe the largest equipment ever operated into TEX was a DHC-8 operated by US Airways Express on flights up from Phoenix.

However, you are correct that the MD-80 was the aircraft of note for Continental's flight into Denver.

Per jlemon: I'll guess the fourth airport served by Continental at that time was Gunnison (GUC) located near the Crested Butte ski area and the airplane was the B737-500

Per the schedule I reference for this set of questions, Gunnison received jet service from Delta (Atlanta) and American (Dallas), both flights operated with 757-200 equipment. United later served GUC with 737s and A319/320 aircraft.

So far as I know, Continental never served GUC with jet equipment.

So - we're still looking for that mystery Colorado airport, though I've every confidence that one of you will identify it in the very next post. ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 1, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Western Pacific was an all-737 airline, notable that they did full-size advertising on their aircraft for various businesses, at the same time as Ryanair were doing this.

I've only been to Colorado Springs once, passing through in 1974 on a Greyhound bus one weekend morning heading from Santa Fe to Denver. It didn't look very significant then and I wonder whether that's changed ...
I believe Western Pacific operated a couple of B727-200 aircraft (leased from Express One, I think) while they were awaiting delivery of additional B737-300s.

Meantime, The Springs (as locals call it) has grown to be a nice little city with some very beautiful foothill and mountain scenery on the west side, including Pikes Peak which is over 14,000 feet high. I've visited an old friend in the COS area several times over the years and recall driving my Datsun 280Z to the top of Pikes Peak back in the day - the car did better than I did (lack of oxygen at the summit).
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
11. Not so many years earlier, 747s were commonly seen on domestic services around North America. Los Angeles in particular enjoyed 747 flights from cities as diverse as Seattle, Phoenix, Detroit, Dallas and Denver to name just a few. Today – in 1992 – aside from Hawaii schedules - Los Angeles is served by just three 747 flights originating in North America. Each flight is operated by a different airline. Identify the airline and the route flown.

I'll go with AC Vancouver to LA; QF JFK-LAX and CO but not sure from where...

All but one of your origin airports are off but you do have two out of three airlines correct. If I gave out more detailed information, it'd make answering this question too easy. Let's leave it as is and - with what we now know - please, guess again!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

46- I'll guess Grand Junction ... Pueblo isn't a likely candidate for ski season traffic, I don't think CO ever went into Durango, and there really aren't that many more cities in Colorado that had mainline jet service anyway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.