FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:05 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Western Pacific was an all-737 airline, notable that they did full-size advertising on their aircraft for various businesses, at the same time as Ryanair were doing this.

I've only been to Colorado Springs once, passing through in 1974 on a Greyhound bus one weekend morning heading from Santa Fe to Denver. It didn't look very significant then and I wonder whether that's changed ...
I believe Western Pacific operated a couple of B727-200 aircraft (leased from Express One, I think) while they were awaiting delivery of additional B737-300s.

Meantime, The Springs (as locals call it) has grown to be a nice little city with some very beautiful foothill and mountain scenery on the west side, including Pikes Peak which is over 14,000 feet high. I've visited an old friend in the COS area several times over the years and recall driving my Datsun 280Z to the top of Pikes Peak back in the day - the car did better than I did (lack of oxygen at the summit).