Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA
There was a little interruption here in Bronco Country as we all celebrated Superbowl Sunday. Today the team flew back on a B764 with an Orange "United" decal over the usual blue United Title. I guess that matches the City Slogan of "United in Orange" [I know, bad joke]
-------------------
As to Q 19: I did fly an Allegheny DC-9 ORD to IND to DAY to CLE. I might guess the flight continued on to PIT. Dinner would then have been served PIT to NYC.
-------------------
As to the 5 airlines flying DTW to CLE, my only guess would be a Delta DC8 originating in DTW and filling passengers on the way to Florida [probably seasonally]. TWA didn't fly jets into CLE while I was there; Lake Central had DC-3s then some Convairs; Capital Airlines leased B720's from UA and flew to PIT then MIA [my first jet ride], AA flew 727-100s to NYC then 720s BOS-CLE-LAX, Mohawk and BAC 1-11s but had to fly through Elmira to go East.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: BA
25. This state has nonstop jet flights from more airports to New York City area airports than any other state.
I'm guessing this is Florida. In 1970 let's suggest MIA, FLL, WPB, SRQ, TPA, MCO, JAX. Eastern to all, National to most, Northeast to a few. Runner up is maybe New York state itself, all those upstate points served by the One-Elevens of American and Mohawk.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Thor3
-------------------
As to Q 19: I did fly an Allegheny DC-9 ORD to IND to DAY to CLE. I might guess the flight continued on to PIT. Dinner would then have been served PIT to NYC.
I also took that flight, although in 1976 it was an ex-Mohawk BAC 1-11 and iirc continued to BUF
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
There was a little interruption here in Bronco Country as we all celebrated Superbowl Sunday. Today the team flew back on a B764 with an Orange "United" decal over the usual blue United Title. I guess that matches the City Slogan of "United in Orange" [I know, bad joke]
How bout them Broncos?!! 24-10 - great game!

I apologize for the break in answering questions - I've had no internet all weekend. Just landed in LAS, picking up a rental car and will look to address these recent answers tonight. Thanks for your patience!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
19. The 720 mile nonstop distance between Chicago and New York does not lend itself well to multi-stop jet flights. As you scan down the 80-90 some-odd flights serving this route that are listed in the OAG, you see mostly nonstops and only a sprinkling of one and two stop flights. Suddenly, there it is… A harp glissando and a chorus from the heavens ring out as you ogle wide eyed at a listing that not only features four stops but will also be offering a dinner along the way between O’Hare and LaGuardia. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft used.

Other DC-9 operators serving both ORD and LGA in 1970 would have been Allegheny, Delta, Eastern, and perhaps North Central

The first stop on an AL flight would have been Pittsburgh, but in the absence of partial credit for jlemon's above guess I am leaning away from this option

DL and EA didn't change direction on too many of their multi-stop flights: ORD departures generally headed to the Gulf Coast or the Southeast

however, I can piece together a four-stop itinerary on NC -- Madison (MSN), Oshkosh (OSH), Green Bay (GRB), and Milwaukee (MKE)
By all appearances that's some impressive postulating there J, but unfortunately North Central is not the airline. Here's a hint: The aircraft is a DC-9-30. Please, carry on...

By the way, how about that last 747 transcon from question 1? You're off to a good start but you're gonna kick yourself if I have to tell you what it is!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by James F
So here goes.....

3. North Central

16. United

19. United

21. BWIA?
Welcome aboard, James!

Now then, which questions are you answering? I only ask because your answers don't correspond to the similarly numbered questions for this most recent quiz. You'll find those questions HERE. Also, in order to allow others an equal opportunity to participate, please limit future responses to no more than three questions at a time. Thanks!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 9, 2016 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question - What is the official airline of the Broncos? As rabid as some Denver fans are, an airplane wearing Bronco orange and blue might engender a lot of good will to the airline that painted it.

19. The 720 mile nonstop distance between Chicago and New York does not lend itself well to multi-stop jet flights. As you scan down the 80-90 some-odd flights serving this route that are listed in the OAG, you see mostly nonstops and only a sprinkling of one and two stop flights. Suddenly, there it is… A harp glissando and a chorus from the heavens ring out as you ogle wide eyed at a listing that not only features four stops but will also be offering a dinner along the way between O’Hare and LaGuardia. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft used.

I did fly an Allegheny DC-9 ORD to IND to DAY to CLE. I might guess the flight continued on to PIT. Dinner would then have been served PIT to NYC.

An excellent guess, Thor, but it was not Allegheny. We also know it was not TWA or North Central. We do know the aircraft utilized was a DC-9-30. Please, guess again!

24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route.

As to the 5 airlines flying DTW to CLE, my only guess would be a Delta DC8 originating in DTW and filling passengers on the way to Florida [probably seasonally]. TWA didn't fly jets into CLE while I was there; Lake Central had DC-3s then some Convairs; Capital Airlines leased B720's from UA and flew to PIT then MIA [my first jet ride], AA flew 727-100s to NYC then 720s BOS-CLE-LAX, Mohawk and BAC 1-11s but had to fly through Elmira to go East.

Per your first response to this in post #8309, we've identified the following four airlines flying jets on this route:

North Central DC-9-30
United 737-200
Northwest 727-100
Eastern DC-9-30

The airplane we're looking for was indeed built in Long Beach, CA but it was smaller than a DC-8 and was not operated by Delta... What could it be...?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
25. This state has nonstop jet flights from more airports to New York City area airports than any other state.

I'm guessing this is Florida. In 1970 let's suggest MIA, FLL, WPB, SRQ, TPA, MCO, JAX. Eastern to all, National to most, Northeast to a few. Runner up is maybe New York state itself, all those upstate points served by the One-Elevens of American and Mohawk.

Excellent work, WHBM! Florida is not the state I'm looking for, but New York is. Additionally, I've found one more state with service to the three NYC airports from an equal number of its own airports.

Any thoughts on which state this is?

HINT: Focus on flights from "more airports" rather than "more cities".

Also, when I get home tomorrow I will list which Florida cities had nonstop service to the NYC trio of airports.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per Thor3: As to Q 19: I did fly an Allegheny DC-9 ORD to IND to DAY to CLE. I might guess the flight continued on to PIT. Dinner would then have been served PIT to NYC.

Per jrl767: I also took that flight, although in 1976 it was an ex-Mohawk BAC 1-11 and iirc continued to BUF

In January of 1977 I flew aboard an Allegheny DC-9-30 as part of a ORD-BOS flight # along the following routing:

ORD-IND-DAY-CLE-SYR-BOS

Given the brevity of each flight, I don't recall any meals - even AL's ubiquitous tuna sandwiches - being served.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
By all appearances that's some impressive postulating there J, but unfortunately North Central is not the airline. Here's a hint: The aircraft is a DC-9-30. Please, carry on...
19- ok, how about Eastern via Charlotte (CLT), Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), and Richmond (RIC)
By the way, how about that last 747 transcon from question 1? You're off to a good start but you're gonna kick yourself if I have to tell you what it is!
1- how about United, LAX-EWR

I have to congratulate the Broncos' defense on a remarkable schooling of the highly-hyped Panthers ... the team and their management certainly learned from their experience at the Seahawks' hands a couple years ago ... but in the same breath I will say that, imo, the game as a whole (as well as the highly-hyped commercials) fell less into the category of "Super" than "Stupor"

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

19. Prior to being acquired by and merged into Delta in 1972, there was another DC9-30 operator at Chicago whose "Yellowbird" aircraft could occasionally be seen at O'Hare: Northeast Airlines

So perhaps this was NE.

As for the routing, I'll throw a couple of guesses out there......

Chicago (ORD) - Detroit (DTW) - Manchester, NH (MHT) - Portland, ME (PWM) - Bangor (BGR) - New York (LGA)

Or perhaps more likely.....

Chicago (ORD) - Cleveland (CLE) - Burlington, VT (BTV) - Portland, ME (PWM) - Manchester, NH (MHT) - New York (LGA)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Okay, how about Eastern via Charlotte (CLT), Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (GSO), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), and Richmond (RIC)

Clever! But no, it wasn't Eastern either.
Here's a HINT: One of the enroute stops was Washington Dulles (IAD)

How about United, LAX-EWR

Remember that Alaska Airlines marketing slogan I mentioned awhile back? All of your most recent choices for that fourth route have been "North of expected". With that in mind, please guess again!

I have to congratulate the Broncos' defense on a remarkable schooling of the highly-hyped Panthers ... the team and their management certainly learned from their experience at the Seahawks' hands a couple years ago ... but in the same breath I will say that, imo, the game as a whole (as well as the highly-hyped commercials) fell less into the category of "Super" than "Stupor"

Most fans are offensively oriented - myself no less than anyone else. Offensively this game was not at all exciting but the Broncos defense was so consistently superb throughout the game that we began to look forward to seeing it more so than the offense. As a Bronco fan, I was disappointed that the game lasted only four quarters. I wanted to see Cam get sacked a few more times!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Prior to being acquired by and merged into Delta in 1972, there was another DC9-30 operator at Chicago whose "Yellowbird" aircraft could occasionally be seen at O'Hare: Northeast Airlines

So perhaps this was NE. As for the routing, I'll throw a couple of guesses out there......

Chicago (ORD) - Detroit (DTW) - Manchester, NH (MHT) - Portland, ME (PWM) - Bangor (BGR) - New York (LGA)

Or perhaps more likely.....

Chicago (ORD) - Cleveland (CLE) - Burlington, VT (BTV) - Portland, ME (PWM) - Manchester, NH (MHT) - New York (LGA)

10 points for thinking out of the box! I like those routings but unfortunately it was not Northeast.

So, we know it was a DC-9-30 operator (D9S in the OAG) and that the flight routed through Washington Dulles. Dinner was served on the leg into IAD.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
19. Yet another truly wild guess....

Southern Airways operating a D9S on a routing of Chicago (ORD) - Memphis (MEM) - New Orleans (MSY) - Eglin Air Force Base (VPS) - Washington Dulles (IAD) - New York (LGA)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: BA
Florida is not the state I'm looking for, but New York is
I'll just have a stab at the New York jet service points. Not in the question, but anyway ...

Upstate NY : Albany, Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo. All by both MO and AA apart from Utica, which I think was not an AA point.

Midstate NY : Binghampton, Elmira, Ithaca, MO only (I think we have one regular and one occasional contributor here who are alumni of Cornell at this period, and possibly used this service from New York City).

I can't think of any others offhand, it is one more than I suggested for Florida, so now to think of another one with eight. "Airports rather than cities". I'll stab at Ohio, possibly places like Toledo or Akron had nonstop to New York City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.