Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
5. United Airlines offered nonstop flights to Honolulu from seven different mainland airports. Identify each airport.

Hmmmmm....... Let's try......

Baltimore (BAL) & Detroit (DTW)

Right on! I can only imagine that Detroit's economy must've been a far sight better back then than the mess it's been over the past few years. Here's to seeing a return of the DTW-HNL nonstop someday...

So then, the seven airports with nonstop service to Honolulu were:

Baltimore
Chicago
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York
San Diego
San Francisco

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 3, 2016 at 8:55 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
By now it’s a well-known fact that quite a few people follow but don’t necessarily participate in the OTAQ&D. As of thirty seconds ago when I last checked, we had[/SIZE] 454,815 456,399 456,890 457,716 458,918 459,855 - many many many times more than any other thread in the Travel Buzz forum. It’s always a good day when someone new decides to take the plunge and have a go at our quiz with an answer or two. Welcome aboard! You'll note I've left the old amounts in using smaller colored print. Since I first posted these questions on January 29th, the OTAQ&D has had over 5000 views. Check back here for updates on the total views - I'll continue to post them as long as questions remain unanswered.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS THE LATTER HALF OF 1970

1. It’s late 1970 and 747s had been in service for less than a year. Following a thorough perusal of the relevant OAG, I have identified a total of four domestic coast to coast routes being flown at the time. Identify each of these routes and the airline(s) flying it. PARTIALLY ANSWERED See Post 8287

3. Identify the two shortest 747 routes being operated domestically in late 1970
HINT: They were both greater than 400 miles but less than 1000 miles...

4. Northwest Airlines operated a total of four daily flights into Anchorage from three different airports in the Continental U.S. Identify each airport and the aircraft type being used on each route.

The following three questions as well as question #10 are a good test of your general awareness of airline routes and equipment utilization. When I was a kid, I'd walk into town and get the used OAGs from the travel agency, then spend hours looking up things like where every United DC-8 flew or how many widebodied jets flew into each city. I was all about the jets and when a city received its first jet service, it was seriously exciting to discover via the OAG. OMG, look! North Central's starting DC-9 service into Traverse City! Thankfully I had other interests like building tree houses, skiing and tearing around the fields on my bike with a pack of like minded friends. Otherwise I would've been spending an inordinate amount of time to myself. Amongst the core cognoscenti gathered here, I should imagine an educated guess would come reasonably close. Go fetch a map and a bottle of bourbon and think about it...

6. As of late 1970, there were three states that had jet service from only one airline. Identify each state and the airline that provided service to that state. PARTIALLY ANSWERED See Post 8315

7. A thorough perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with 727s. Thinking about 727 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states? PARTIALLY ANSWERED See Post 8315

8. A further perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with DC-9s of any model. Thinking about DC-9 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states? A N S W E R E D

9. A total of five airlines offered nonstop flights between Jamaica and Miami – two from Kingston and three from Montego Bay. No single airline served both KIN and MBJ nonstop from Miami. Identify the airlines providing nonstop service in each market.

10. Identify three states that had a total of 10 or less jet flights operated into or out of the state each day. PARTIALLY ANSWERED See Post 8239

12. This flight originates in Europe and, after stopping in Montreal, continues on to Guatemala City with one intermediate stop. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used on this flight. A N S W E R E D

19. The 720 mile nonstop distance between Chicago and New York does not lend itself well to multi-stop jet flights. As you scan down the 80-90 some-odd flights serving this route that are listed in the OAG, you see mostly nonstops and only a sprinkling of one and two stop flights. Suddenly, there it is… A harp glissando and a chorus from the heavens ring out as you ogle wide eyed at a listing that not only features four stops but will also be offering a dinner along the way between O’Hare and LaGuardia. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft used.

20. Fans of milk-runs would be surprised if not thrilled to find a two stop flight operating between Washington National (DCA) and New York JFK. It’s the only two-stop flight in the listings and it’s operated with a jet that’s even longer than a 707. Now then, where on earth would such a flight stop? What airline operates it and what kind of jet is utilized? A N S W E R E D

23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.

24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route. PARTIALLY ANSWERED See Post 8309

25. This state has nonstop jet flights from more airports to New York City area airports than any other state.

GENERAL COMMERCIAL AVIATION RELATED QUESTIONS

27. What airline and airplane were featured in the 1990 movie Die Hard 2?

30. All of the airlines in the two groups listed below operated widebodied jets. What’s the difference between the airlines in group one as opposed to the airlines in group two?
Group 1: American, Continental, Eastern, United, TWA
Group 2: Delta, National, Northwest, Pan Am, Western

33. I was in a thrift shop the other day and I came across a DVD of this old 1970s era action flick - Whiteline Fever - starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Kay Lenz. The price was right – only $2.00 – and as an added bonus, Slim Pickens was in it. Well that settled it then! Never one to fritter away my life watching Merchant Ivory films in perpetuity, I bought the DVD and tossed it on my stack of movies to watch someday. That day came a couple nights ago. Imagine then my surprise and delight as in the opening scenes the camera panned across an airport tarmac showing a distinctive control tower with the airport’s location emblazoned down its side in large letters. As the scene unfolded further, a beautiful four engine jetliner approached from afar. The camera caught it nicely as it glided over the threshold, landed and then taxied up to the non-jetway equipped gate. Any of y’all seen this movie? Any thoughts on the airport and the airplane featured?
HINT: I consider the tower with the city's name emblazoned down the side to be a big hint. These letters were not painted but rather were lights. When turned on at night, they were pale blue. This airport also had one international flight per day at the time...

Bonus Question 35B: The First Class upstairs lounge on Continental's originally delivered 747-124s had first one name, and then another after the upstairs lounge was modified from three windows to ten windows. What were the two names?

36. You are seated in the “Garden of Wisteria”. Name the airline and airplane you are flying upon.

38. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Hawaiian Lounge” inflight?

40. What kind of airplane would you be flying upon if you were to visit the “Fujiyama Room” for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres?

42. In early 1968, this airline installed new $33,000.00 broiler ovens and began serving steak to both First and Economy Class passengers on all of its lunch and dinner flights out of Montreal.

THE ORIGINAL LISTING OF ALL 45 QUESTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 5, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. Northwest Airlines operated a total of four daily flights into Anchorage from three different airports in the Continental U.S. Identify each airport and the aircraft type being used on each route.
The airports are pretty obvious, but the equipment isn't. It is likely that various equipment showed up on the routes in over the late 1970s, but I take a stab at:

MSP DC-10
ORD DC-10
JFK 747

They also, for a time in the late 1970s, operated ANC-SEA. Likely with DC-10s & 727s.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware

The airports are pretty obvious, but the equipment isn't. It is likely that various equipment showed up on the routes in over the late 1970s, but I take a stab at:

MSP DC-10
ORD DC-10
JFK 747

They also, for a time in the late 1970s, operated ANC-SEA. Likely with DC-10s & 727s

Keep in mind Indelaware that the timeline for this question is the year 1970. As such, care to make any revisions?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

3. Identify the two shortest 747 routes being operated domestically in late 1970
3. Wild guess time....

New York (JFK) - Washington (IAD): Northwest

Chicago (ORD) - Detroit (DTW): American
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Wild guess time....

New York (JFK) - Washington (IAD): Northwest
Chicago (ORD) - Detroit (DTW): American

Wow! That is, like, pretty wild, Dude! A little later on and those two guesses would've been a lot closer to the mark but in late 1970, we'll be looking for two routes just a bit longer.

My personal shortest route flown on a 747 was aboard Northwest between Seattle and Portland (129 miles) back in 1976.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA

===================================
In 1969 I flew a DL 742 from MIA to ATL which is about 595 miles. It was in Pan AM colors. I think it went on to IAD [533 miles] and then internationally.

The absolute shortest 747 flight was the PanAM 747SP that went LHR-SFO-LAX. I flew it for the 337 miles SFO-LAX in 1978 for $13.00.

I know CO flew a 742 DEN-ORD [885 miles]
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA
[I24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route. I]
=======================
Between DTW and CLE I flew in an EA 727, North Central DC9-30, and a NW DC9. I might also guess Allegheny DC9 and UA 737. Mohawk had BAC1-11s but I don't think they flew that route.

The first jet into CLE was a DL DC8 that diverted to CLE when DTW was fogged-in. It continued to DTW on a Sunday morning.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

12. This flight originates in Europe and, after stopping in Montreal, continues on to Guatemala City with one intermediate stop. Identify the airline, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used on this flight.
12. I'll guess this may have been Iberia (IB, "Lineas Aereas de Espana") operating a DC-8 on a routing of Madrid-Montreal-Panama City-Guatemala City.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
12- in 1971-72 (at least), IB's 747 service went MAD-YUL-MEX (not PTY) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it continued to GUA; I think it was a 2x/week operation ... from my college campus in Ithaca NY the northbound contrail was a common sight, and I could see the jet w binoculars
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
20. Fans of milk-runs would be surprised if not thrilled to find a two stop flight operating between Washington National (DCA) and New York JFK. It’s the only two-stop flight in the listings and it’s operated with a jet that’s even longer than a 707. Now then, where on earth would such a flight stop? What airline operates it and what kind of jet is utilized?
given that the 727-200 is about 5" longer than the 707-300, I will guess that we are looking for a 72S on a National Airlines flight via Baltimore and Philadelphia
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. A further perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with DC-9s of any model. Thinking about DC-9 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?
8. In late 1970, I believe the four states without DC-9 service would have been:

* Alaska
* Montana
* West Virginia
* Wyoming

BTW, I cannot recall any air carrier ever serving Alaska with the DC9-10, DC9-30 or DC9-50 in scheduled passenger service.

And here we go, folks, into a Big Weekend in south Louisiana: not only is the Super Bowl on tap this Sunday but it's also Mardi Gras weekend here with a number of big parades and other festivities scheduled as we prepare for Fat Tuesday this coming week.

So, in the words of my Cajun friends, :-: Geaux Broncos! :-:......and throw me something, ma'am!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following three questions ... are a good test of your general awareness of airline routes and equipment utilization. When I was a kid, I'd walk into town and get the used OAGs from the travel agency, then spend hours looking up things like where every United DC-8 flew or how many widebodied jets flew into each city. ... Amongst the core cognoscenti gathered here, I should imagine an educated guess would come reasonably close. Go fetch a map and a bottle of bourbon and think about it...
it's too early for bourbon, but my second cup of coffee is working fine

my imagination was fueled by my dad's travels: he would always bring back timetables ... growing up thru age 8 in ABQ I was limited to TWA, Continental, and Frontier, so the occasional arrival of a United or a Delta or a Lake Central schedule was a real thrill

6. As of late 1970, there were three states that had jet service from only one airline. Identify each state and the airline that provided service to that state.
Maine - Northeast
New Hampshire - Northeast
West Virginia - American

7. A thorough perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with 727s. Thinking about 727 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?
let's try Delaware (I'm pretty sure there was NO jet service there at all), Hawaii, Mississippi, and New Hampshire

8. A further perusal of the schedule available to me has revealed four states that have no flights operated with DC-9s of any model. Thinking about DC-9 operators of that time – and the cities they served - can you identify each of these four states?
after Delaware, this is trickier ... how about Alaska, West Virginia, and Wyoming
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thor3

In 1969 I flew a DL 742 from MIA to ATL which is about 595 miles. It was in Pan AM colors. I think it went on to IAD [533 miles] and then internationally.

How the years fly by! And the memories pile up...

Welcome aboard, Thor! Delta and Pan Am did indeed operate an interchange flight, however it would have to have been after January 21, 1970 which was the date Pan Am inaugurated service with the type between New York and London. Initially at least, the interchange started out of Atlanta, continued on up to Washington Dulles and then on to Frankfurt. Over the years there were other routings as well but again, it would have to have been after January of 1970.

As to the MIA-ATL route, I do recall seeing Delta 747s scheduled on that route but not until 1971 or 72 at the earliest. In any event, it would have been after the date range we're looking for in this question (late 1970). Same goes for the SFO-LAX and DEN-ORD flights, both of which were also served by 747s - but at a later date.

Please, feel free to have another go at this one!

24. In 1970 five airlines were operating jets on the short leg between Cleveland and Detroit. Identify each of the five airlines as well as the respective equipment they were operating on this route.

Between DTW and CLE I flew in an EA 727, North Central DC9-30, and a NW DC9. I might also guess Allegheny DC9 and UA 737. Mohawk had BAC1-11s but I don't think they flew that route.

I was surprised to find so many different airlines flying between these two cities, as if Detroit were much like an "add-on" city such as PDX to SEA or SAN to LAX.

In any event, during the timeline we're looking for, you've struck gold with North Central's DC-9-30 and United's 737-200. Eastern and Northwest also flew jets on this route, but with different aircraft - especially true with Northwest which didn't see DC-9s in its fleet until its acquisition of Republic Airlines in 1980. Mohawk did not fly this route but Allegheny did -albeit with a Convair 580.

So, thus far we have:

North Central DC-9-30
United 737-200
Northwest 727-100
Eastern DC-9-30

So, we're still looking for the other airline and it's equipment type. Please, guess again!

The first jet into CLE was a DL DC8 that diverted to CLE when DTW was fogged-in. It continued to DTW on a Sunday morning.

Now there's a good trivia question!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

let's try Delaware (I'm pretty sure there was NO jet service there at all), Hawaii, Mississippi, and New Hampshire
Hmmmm... Eastern Airlines timetables from the late 60's and early 70's indicate mainline jet service into Wilmington, Delaware (ILG).

In fact, in 1967, EA was operating DC9 service from Wilmington either nonstop or direct to ATL, CLT, DCA, EWR and PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.