Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Little old Appleton, Wisconsin (ATW) is correct!
If I had only thought about YX's origin I wouldn't have had to guess! We used them quite a few times between MKE and SFO, a great champagne breakfast flight out and an excellent lunch flight back. We used to stay the night before near MKE and have a fine Serbian dinner at the Old Town.

When they routed via Kansas City the flight became much less attractive.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And here's yet another bonus quiz item concerning Midwest Express.....

The only international destination served by Midwest Express during its existence was Toronto. However, at one point, the airline did list connecting service in its timetable operated by another air carrier to and from an international destination that was not located in the western hemisphere. Name this destination as well as the airline that operated the connecting service and include the equipment flown by the air carrier in question. ANSWERED

And BTW....now, I'm not sure if there are any mothers out there in Flyertalkland who follow the OTAQ&D. However, if you are indeed out there.....

Happy Mothers Day!

Last edited by jlemon; May 9, 2016 at 9:18 am Reason: answer update
Old May 8, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's a beautiful morning here in Alaska's Interior and what a fine day it is to close out these unanswered questions...

4. I was surprised to find that per the 1985 OAG I used to research these questions, Newark, New Jersey had nonstop flights to only two Canadian cities – one served daily and the other served just twice per week. Identify the two Canadian cities and the airlines that serve them.
(QB 73S to Quebec City. Still looking for the other...)

That would be Air Canada with a nonstop flight to Calgary...

AC 823 EWR-YYC 550p - 830p 72S Dinner Op. Daily

13. Identify the three airlines offering scheduled flights between Seattle, WA (SEA) and Reno, NV (RNO) in mid-1985.
(OC 73S and PS M80 have been identified. We need just one more...)

I don't know if anyone could have gotten this one... The airline was All Star, running a DC-9-10. Check it out!

EP 602 SEA-RNO 1145a - 115p DC9 Snack Op. Tue Fri Sun

15. What was the first European national airline to operate an all jet fleet? What year did this airline become all-jet?

This would be Alitalia. At least per my sources it is. Here's a link:

http://www.flyalitalia.com/en/group/...story_1969.htm

Our own WHBM has asserted that BOAC became all jet in 1965 - four years earlier. Frankly, it's hard to argue against his track record when it comes to all things aviation. I look forward to his response. Perhaps Alitalia doesn't consider the UK "European"...

Originally Posted by WHBM
Good Lord, my Good Man ! BEA a "division" of BOAC ? Whatever next ? They were two separate national airlines, not only until the BA merger of 1974, but for a good 20 years after that. Or more. Look how the two sides operated from different terminals at Heathrow until T5 opened in 2008. And even then, there were issues between the Grand "Overseas Division" and those across the runway with their little short trips. "BEA ?". Hah ! "Back Every Afternoon".
As penance for getting poor ol' WHBM all riled up, I am suspending myself from participation in the OTAQ&D for at least a week.

Of course, this times nicely with my relocation 120 miles down the road to Denali Park where internet access this time of year is spotty at best.

Have a great week everyone!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 11, 2016 at 8:50 am
Old May 8, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Hope you enjoy the park this season, Seat 2A, and please try and not run into any moose with the bus!
Old May 8, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Our own WHBM has asserted that BOAC became all jet in 1965 - four years earlier. Frankly, it's hard to argue against his track record when it comes to all things aviation. I look forward to his response. Perhaps Alitalia doesn't consider the UK "European"...
Response very short. They're wrong. Incidentally, their wholly owned subsidiary operator ATI was where they had placed their Fokker F-27 prop fleet.

As penance for getting poor ol' WHBM all riled up
T'wasn't me who would be doing the riling (spelling ?), but it would be the whole of the BEA staff of the time ! The merger issues which are currently outstanding between Continental and the old United are nothing compared to what BEA/BOAC caused.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:27 pm

And here's yet another bonus quiz item concerning Midwest Express.....

The only international destination served by Midwest Express during its existence was Toronto. However, at one point, the airline did list connecting service in its timetable operated by another air carrier to and from an international destination that was not located in the western hemisphere. Name this destination as well as the airline that operated the connecting service and include the equipment flown by the air carrier in question.

And BTW....now, I'm not sure if there are any mothers out there in Flyertalkland who follow the OTAQ&D. However, if you are indeed out there.....

Happy Mothers Day!
I believe they showed connections to Virgin Atlantic's 747 flights from BOS to LGW.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I believe they showed connections to Virgin Atlantic's 747 flights from BOS to LGW.

Correct!
A Midwest Express timetable from early 1997 lists Kansas City and Milwaukee connecting service to and from VS operated London flights via Boston. YX was flying nonstop MCI-BOS in addition to operating nonstop MKE-BOS service at this time with DC9s.

And if memory serves me correctly, a certain gentleman by the name of Sir R.C.N. Branson made some very complimentary comments back in the day concerning Midwest Express and their service. He was not alone at the time with regard to such comments.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this time in 1985, Empire was operating nonstop F28 service from Newark to just one destination: Syracuse (SYR). Piedmont, on the other hand, was flying nonstop Fellowship service from EWR to three other destinations. Identify all three.
I'll go ahead and close out this bonus quiz item.....

The three destinations served nonstop from PI with the F28 were Charlotte (CLT), Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Roanoke (ROA).
Old May 10, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Bonus Questions:

1. Name two different airlines that once offered scheduled commercial air service to Mt. McKinley National Park (Now Denali National Park)
A N S W E R E D

2. What was the largest commercial aircraft ever to land on McKinley Park's 3000 foot long air strip?

3. If you wanted to fly into Death Valley National Monument back in the 1940s, what airline and aircraft would you fly upon?
A N S W E R E D

What was the unfortunate three letter code of the airport in Death Valley?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 12, 2016 at 6:43 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus Questions:

1. Name two different airlines that once offered scheduled commercial air service to Mt. McKinley National Park (Now Denali National Park)

2. What was the largest commercial aircraft ever to land on McKinley Park's 3000 foot long air strip?
1. I'll guess Era Aviation and PenAir

2. I'll guess a DHC-6 Twin Otter operated by Era
Old May 11, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
What was the unfortunate three letter code of the airport in Death Valley?
DTH was just a guess, but it turns out to be a real IATA code, denoting Furnace Creek Airport. No idea about airline and aircraft, not even a guess.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
DTH was just a guess, but it turns out to be a real IATA code, denoting Furnace Creek Airport. No idea about airline and aircraft, not even a guess.
I'll guess it was Bonanza with a DC3; they had the air mail supported route between Las Vegas and Reno, and such a stop was unlikely without support from carrying the mails.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll guess Era Aviation and PenAir

ERA Aviation is correct. For a short time in the 1990s, it flew scheduled flights on the Anchorage-Denali Park route. Poor weather conditions over Broad Pass often interrupted those schedules, especially as operated with their usual aircraft type for this flight, a DHC-6 Twin Otter.

Pen Air is short for Peninsula Airways. It serves primarily the Aleutian Peninsula communities of southwestern Alaska. It has never served Denali Park.

I'll guess a DHC-6 Twin Otter operated by Era

ERA did indeed operate the Twin Otter into McKinley Park, but the aircraft I'm looking for - which I watched land and take off one fine afternoon - was larger.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
3B. What was the unfortunate three letter code of the airport in Death Valley?

Furnace Creek Airport was the airport used, but the three letter code at the time was different. Any further thoughts on this...?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
3A. If you wanted to fly into Death Valley National Monument back in the 1940s, what airline and aircraft would you fly upon?

I'll guess it was Bonanza with a DC3; they had the air mail supported route between Las Vegas and Reno, and such a stop was unlikely without support from carrying the mails.

Spot on, W! It was Bonanza with a DC-3. The article I have indicates the service came out of Bonanza's home base of LAS but it certainly seems possible that Bonanza might have come down out of Reno as well. A stamp collection site offers a view of a "First Flight" envelope HERE.

A casual perusal of the internet suggests that Bonanza's Reno to Las Vegas milk run routed through Tonopah and Beatty, and possibly Hawthorne as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.