Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, KLM Convair 340, doing Miami-Port au Prince-Aruba-Curacao-Port of Spain-Georgetown (British Guyana)-Paramaribo (Dutch Guyana)-Cayenne (French Guyana).
1. Well, it wasn't KLM Royal Dutch nor was the aircraft a Convair 340.....however, you are getting quite a bit closer concerning your routing. This flight did stop in Curacao, Port of Spain, Georgetown and Paramaribo. However, it did not stop in Aruba. And BTW, following the stop in Cayenne, it then flew nonstop to its final destination.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. It's 1961 and you are in Port au Prince, Haiti in the Caribbean. You need to travel to Cayenne, French Guiana in South America. You're pleased to find there is one direct flight a week from Port au Prince to Cayenne whi​​​​​​​ch coincides with your schedule. You'll depart PAP at 9:10 am and then arrive into CAY at 9:20 pm with five stops being made en route, Identify the airline, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they will be made.

Given JL's acknowledgement that this flight commenced in Miami, I'm thinking this flight could be with "the world's most experienced airline" operating a DC-6. As to the routing, I haven't a clue. Do we have a sense of the correctly identified stops in order yet? The lack of a stop at SJU is a bit of a concern as to the possibility of PA. Perhaps this flight routed through STT and/or STX out of Miami...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
1. It's 1961 and you are in Port au Prince, Haiti in the Caribbean. You need to travel to Cayenne, French Guiana in South America. You're pleased to find there is one direct flight a week from Port au Prince to Cayenne which coincides with your schedule. You'll depart PAP at 9:10 am and then arrive into CAY at 9:20 pm with five stops being made en route, Identify the airline, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they will be made.

Given JL's acknowledgement that this flight commenced in Miami, I'm thinking this flight could be with "the world's most experienced airline" operating a DC-6. As to the routing, I haven't a clue. Do we have a sense of the correctly identified stops in order yet? The lack of a stop at SJU is a bit of a concern as to the possibility of PA. Perhaps this flight routed through STT and/or STX out of Miami...
1.Pan American World Airways is correct! Pan Am was operating a "Douglas Super-6 Clipper" on this flight which was the airline's name for the DC-6B.

The first stop made after departing from Miami was Port au Prince (PAP). We also know this flight stopped in Curacao, Port of Spain, Georgetown and Paramaribo but not in Aruba. So we are looking for just one more stop here along with the correct order of these stops.

And for bonus points, please identify the final destination of this flight which was served nonstop from Cayenne.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
18. In 1968, a UK based air carrier included this marketing message in its timetable:
"___ (airline)___ takes three steps BAC-wards! - and that's a great step forward with three new BAC One-Eleven jets"

Around this time my Mum's uncle John bought his house in Blackpool and I know he used this airline to visit his cousin Shirley, a well known English National Opera singer (married to Matt Zimmerman of Alan Tracey/Thunderbirds fame) who lived in north London at the time. When he died my parents moved into his house and in there they found boxes of stuff he had kept - never one to throw anything away. In there was this timetable - for Autair - his airline of choice for his Blackpool (or Squires Gate as he called it) to Luton jaunts. Quite a character he was, still kept his grocery store in Manchester until his death and commuted from Blackpool regularly. I miss the old man very much. I'm named after him.
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by rosensfole
18. In 1968, a UK based air carrier included this marketing message in its timetable:
"___ (airline)___ takes three steps BAC-wards! - and that's a great step forward with three new BAC One-Eleven jets"

In there was this timetable - for Autair - his airline of choice for his Blackpool (or Squires Gate as he called it) to Luton jaunts..
It's here

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...68/ou68-02.jpg

Autair never showed their One-Elevens on their UK scheduled services, they were assigned to Mediterranean etc holiday flights, even then for the Clarksons organisation, that became such a major player in the industry when Autair transitioned to the colourful Court Line. But I read that very occasionally, when the schedules got disrupted (more than anything due to fog in Jersey) a One-Eleven might be sent on an assignment to help clear the backlog. When the Court Line change came, these three One-Elevens were sold to Cambrian Airways, and they got discussed at some point way back in this thread, including when I got on the first ever flight of one.
jlemon likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by WHBM
It's here

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...68/ou68-02.jpg

Autair never showed their One-Elevens on their UK scheduled services, they were assigned to Mediterranean etc holiday flights, even then for the Clarksons organisation, that became such a major player in the industry when Autair transitioned to the colourful Court Line. But I read that very occasionally, when the schedules got disrupted (more than anything due to fog in Jersey) a One-Eleven might be sent on an assignment to help clear the backlog. When the Court Line change came, these three One-Elevens were sold to Cambrian Airways, and they got discussed at some point way back in this thread, including when I got on the first ever flight of one.
Aha. Uncle John was an inveterate hoarder so he picked up brochures everywhere he went. I wish I had kept all of his airline stuff now, loads of great documents from his US trips to Oakland CA where his sister Gladys lived. I live in a tiny flat so it would have been impossible but I've regretted not taking the good stuff. My brother has John's complete collection of tape reel recordings of "I'm sorry I haven't a clue". Damn it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole

Around this time my Mum's uncle John bought his house in Blackpool and I know he used this airline to visit his cousin Shirley, a well known English National Opera singer (married to Matt Zimmerman of Alan Tracey/Thunderbirds fame) who lived in north London at the time. When he died my parents moved into his house and in there they found boxes of stuff he had kept - never one to throw anything away. In there was this timetable - for Autair - his airline of choice for his Blackpool (or Squires Gate as he called it) to Luton jaunts. Quite a character he was, still kept his grocery store in Manchester until his death and commuted from Blackpool regularly. I miss the old man very much. I'm named after him.
18. Correct, of course....and the additional information as well as the link provided by WHBM are very much appreciated as well.

I believe Autair International Airlines was primarily at Handley Page Herald turboprop operator before the three One-Elevens came along and it was also interesting to learn they were a member of the Court Line group of companies.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe Autair International Airlines was primarily at Handley Page Herald turboprop operator before the three One-Elevens came along and it was also interesting to learn they were a member of the Court Line group of companies.
They were Herald users in 1968, but not for long. Autair had come along for some years with an old school fleet of onetime-BEA Vickers Vikings and Airspeed Ambassadors, then in 1966 they got a few new HS.748s. These only lasted a year, then were disposed, and replaced by the three Handley Page Heralds, which BEA in Scotland had meantime declared surplus. These too only lasted a year, before Autair abandoned domestic schedules altogether. Autair and Court Line were really the same company, just a name change.

Owners Court Line however had another use for the HS.748s, they were sent to another airline they had a financial interest in, LIAT in the Caribbean. They were the start of the substantial and long-serving 748 fleet over there, which survived the Court change and later bankruptcy, when it was sold off to local Caribbean investors.
jlemon likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The last seven quiz items all have a time line of 1969.....

23. There was also direct, same plane service from London Heathrow to Minneapolis/St. Paul at this time. One stop was made en route and the flight operated daily. Who operated this service? Also name the stop and the equipment.
Pan American World Airways, LHR-DTW
Northwest Airlines d/b/a Northwest Orient Airlines, DTW-MSP
same plane service on a Boeing 707

Last edited by Toshbaf; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

The last seven quiz items all have a time line of 1969.....

22. There was direct, same plane service from Paris Orly Airport to New Orleans in the spring of 1969 with this flight operating four days a week. Two stops were made en route. Who operated this service? Also identify both stops and the aircraft type.
another stab at a question...

Pan Am, ORY - IAD - ATL - MSY, Douglas DC-8. Domestic segment operated by Delta Air Lines, often with a different DC-8 aircraft. If so, I consider this to be a scam one stop or two stop flight because the same plane is not used.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. It's 1961 and you are in Port au Prince, Haiti in the Caribbean. You need to travel to Cayenne, French Guiana in South America. You're pleased to find there is one direct flight a week from Port au Prince to Cayenne which coincides with your schedule. You'll depart PAP at 9:10 am and then arrive into CAY at 9:20 pm with five stops being made en route, Identify the airline, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they will be made.

Pan American World Airways is correct! Pan Am was operating a "Douglas Super-6 Clipper" on this flight which was the airline's name for the DC-6B. The first stop made after departing from Miami was Port au Prince (PAP). We also know this flight stopped in Curacao, Port of Spain, Georgetown and Paramaribo but not in Aruba. So we are looking for just one more stop here along with the correct order of these stops.

And for bonus points, please identify the final destination of this flight which was served nonstop from Cayenne.

Well I had to pull out my atlas for this one. What looks reasonable is this: Miami - Port au Prince - Santo Domingo - Curacao - Port of Spain - Georgetown -Paramaribo - Cayenne - Belem. And of course if it wasn't Belem, then it just had to be Tartarugalzinho.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Pan American World Airways, LHR-DTW
Northwest Airlines d/b/a Northwest Orient Airlines, DTW-MSP
same plane service on a Boeing 707
23. Yep, this was a PA/NW interchange flight. Here's the sched....

PA/NW 55: London Heathrow (LHR) 9:15a - 11:30a Detroit (DTW) 12:45p - 2:13p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
Freq: Daily
Equip: 707
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
another stab at a question...

Pan Am, ORY - IAD - ATL - MSY, Douglas DC-8. Domestic segment operated by Delta Air Lines, often with a different DC-8 aircraft. If so, I consider this to be a scam one stop or two stop flight because the same plane is not used.
22. Yep, another interchange service here, this one by PA and DL, with the interchange point being Dulles. Here's the sched....

PA/DL 53: Paris Orly (ORY) 12:45p - 3:20p Boston (BOS) 4:10p - 5:45p Washington Dulles (IAD) 6:45p - 8:06p New Orleans (MSY)
Freq: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Equip: JET DC-8
Note: PA/DL 53 to be operated on a daily basis effective June 1, 1969

I also believe the usual operation of this flight did not involve through passengers between ORY and MSY having to change to another aircraft. The Delta system timetable clearly states that all interchange services being jointly operated by Delta and Pan Am at this time were "Through Jet Service Between New Orleans - Atlanta - Washington and London - Frankfurt - Paris". I also distinctly remember seeing DC8 aircraft in Pan Am livery parked at Delta's gates at New Orleans back in the late 60's with the destination information to Paris, London and Frankfurt being posted at these gates. In addition, WHBM recently commented concerning the DL/PA interchange services operated with DC8 equipment in his post # 14780 which included an observation that Delta would operate the MSY - ATL - IAD - LHR - FRA service with one of their DC8s for half a year at a time with Pan Am then operating one of their DC8s on the route the other half of the year. I think the same was true concerning the MSY - IAD - BOS - ORY service.

Here's a photo of a Delta DC-8-33 equipped for transoceanic operations and flown by a Pan Am crew departing from Heathrow in 1970 on a Pan Am/Delta interchange flight:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Delt...ZLIMVIR4u4NsJu

BTW, I believe Delta did not begin serving London on its own until 1978 with its new service at that time being relegated to Gatwick.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 12, 2019 at 4:48 pm Reason: added photo link
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In response to Seat 2A above.....

Aha, Tartarugalzinho......didn't Cubana run Britannia aircraft in there six times a year before the airfield was destroyed by a pyroclastic flow caused by the local volcano blowing up (which neatly took care of a chronic problem concerning huge crocodiles crawling out onto the one and only runway)?

Well, it wasn't that exotic and mythical (some might say mystical) destination as the Pan Am DC-6B flight in question indeed terminated at Belem.

However, the second stop wasn't Santo Domingo....it was actually Curacao. So we continue to look for one more stop here as well as the order in which all five stops were made.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:16 pm Reason: Tartaruga-what?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:55 pm

Good evening all, from a place in the back of beyond a ways away from Cork, Ireland, where I flew into this afternoon https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-deo courtesy of an Aer Lingus A320, followed by an Avis Nissan. And despite the most appalling weather over here, which at breakfast time led to go-around after go-around past the house at London City (I think, just by the noise, because they were all up in the low cloud), the Aer Lingus flight operated in and out exactly to time, and made quite a notable stable crosswind landing at Cork, one of the windiest airports in Europe, on a hilltop, facing the open Atlantic, runway at right angles to the prevailing wind. Good for them. Am here to oversee a civil engineering project tiomorrow morning. Hope it isn't flooded.

I came through Cork quite some years ago, when the ramp always had a Vanguard and an Electra standing side-by-side ready for overnight freight services to Europe and back, which just showed how much bigger in all dimensions the Vanguard was than the Electra.

Now I see I've been well beaten on that Cayenne flight question (such is life) by it being Pan Am after all. One stop still missing - let's go, just like the ending of "Gregory's Girl", for Caracas **

** : For those in the US who don't know the movie, last line of "Plot" here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory%27s_Girl

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 12, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.