Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by jlemon

62. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Windhoek (WDH) in Namibia to London, there was only one choice. The service was operated once a week to London Heathrow (LHR). Identify the airline and the aircraft type.
I know that later flights (e.g. Jan 1995) made a stop at Frankfurt but as I've nothing to lose:

Air Namibia with a Boeing 747SP
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:04 am

And BTW, I wish I would have had the chance to fly on board a Gulfstream I turboprop as you did. Those big oval windows must have been nice to look out of. Royale Airlines served LFT back in the day with the Gulfstream I but I was living in California at that time and never got to fly on one.
Yes, it was a great trip in a wonderful aeroplane. Quite cramped inside though as they had 24 seats. I remember it was difficult to avoid knocking knees with the passenger opposite.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BA
As we've had excellent response concerning the above UK-themed quiz items
Of course

53.If you wanted to fly from Aden (ADE) to London, there was only one choice with this airline operating one direct flight a week into London Heathrow (LHR) with one stop being made en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.
I think this would be Alyemda, the airline of Aden, who were likely changing over from a 707 to an A310 at the time. Let's go for them having the Airbus. Intermediate stop somewhere, possibly Rome.

Aden was a onetime British colony, but unlike most retreated to have effectively no economic or population connections with London at all. It had not only been a small BOAC focus point, with flights in multiple directions, such as down to East Africa, but also had hosted Aden Airways, itself owned by BOAC, with a small fleet of DC3s and Viscounts, which operated from there around the region. It had also been a key Royal Navy and RAF base in the region, and the RAF probably ran more services from Britain to there in the 1950s-60s than even BOAC did, to the shared airfield. This all lasted long enough for it to see a few years of the first VC-10 flights.
54. What airline was operating DHC-8 Dash 8 service from a city in Europe into London City (LCY) at this time? ANSWERED
Remember this well. The Sabena DH8-300 used to nightstop at London City, one of the few then, and each evening as I drove home across the Connaught Bridge at the west end of the LCY runway I would glance over. It was always stood on the stand on the ramp nearest the bridge. The LCY-Brussels service was killed by the opening of the Eurostar train in 1994.

Although Sabena was a Belgian airline, and the aircraft were in Sabena livery, they were actually operated by Schreiner Airways of the Netherlands, and had Dutch registrations. Sabena had several such, on a long term lease.

55. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop Boeing 747-300 service from Copehagen (CPH) into London Heathrow (LHR). The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this airline.
Long shot here, but I think this may be Varig, operating to/from Rio and Sao Paolo.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 15, 2019 at 5:29 am
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40. Nope, it wasn't PSP....but the aircraft type was a B757-200.
40- can’t imagine this being LAX, and I think AA had pulled down their San Jose (SJC) hub by that time, so Las Vegas (LAS) is about the only other place that fits AA’s route map
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Baltic International using a DC-9-15
and
Latavio (Latvian Airlines) with a Tupolev 134B
60. Correct! Here are the westbound scheds....

TI 776: Riga (RIX) 09:20 - 10:00 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
Equip: DC9
Service classes C/Y

PV 763: Riga (RIX) 13:00 - 13:40 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
Equip: TU3
Service classes: C/Y

It was interesting to see the TI code with the DC9 service. And I could just imagine the headline concerning the marketing campaign.....

"Texas International in association with Baltic International is back with exciting new DC-9 service in Europe!"

Plus, sharp-eyed readers of the OTAQ&D will no doubt recognize the PV code formerly used by Eastern Provincial in Canada.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2019 at 11:00 am Reason: additional info
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
I know that later flights (e.g. Jan 1995) made a stop at Frankfurt but as I've nothing to lose:

Air Namibia with a Boeing 747SP
62. Correct! Here's the northbound sched.....

SW 681: Windhoek (WDH) 22:00 - 06:15+1 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Sundays only
Equip: 74L
Service classes: J/Y
Distance per the OAG: 5,205 miles

And Air Namibia was indeed also operating service from Windhoek to London via a stop in Frankfurt at this time. Here's the northbound sched....

SW 663: Windhoek (WDH) 21:35 - 06:15+1 Frankfurt (FRA) 07:15 (est.) - 07:55 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Equip: 74L
Service classes: J/Y

Their schedule between FRA and LHR is not listed in the OAG so I have estimated the departure time from Frankfurt.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

53. I think this would be Alyemda, the airline of Aden, who were likely changing over from a 707 to an A310 at the time. Let's go for them having the Airbus. Intermediate stop somewhere, possibly Rome.

55. Long shot here, but I think this may be Varig, operating to/from Rio and Sao Paolo.
Correct on both!

53. The OAG lists this air carrier as Alyemda - Democratic Yemen Airlines and the stop was actually made in Cairo. Here's the westbound sched....

DY 776: Aden (ADE) 06:15 - 08:45 Cairo (CAI) 10:25 (est.) - 13:30 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Sundays only
Equip: 310
Service classes: F/C/Y

The OAG does not list this flight from CAI to LHR so I have estimated the departure time from Cairo.

55. Here's the complete westbound sched....

RG 757: Copenhagen (CPH) 20:05 - 21:00 London Heathrow (LHR) 22:00 - 07:45+1 Sao Paulo (GRU) 08:30 - 09:20 Rio de Janeiro (GIG)
Freq: Fridays and Sundays only
Equip: 743
Service classes: F/C/Y

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 15, 2019 at 2:00 pm Reason: spelling of Alyemda
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

40- can’t imagine this being LAX, and I think AA had pulled down their San Jose (SJC) hub by that time, so Las Vegas (LAS) is about the only other place that fits AA’s route map
40. Ah, it wasn't LAS....nor was it LAX or SJC. And the answer will most likely be a bit surprising.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your responses to two per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

Continuing on with the 1990's......

These two quiz items both have a time line of the fall of 1993.....

36. There was only one airline operating Boeing 747-400 service nonstop from Brussels (BRU) to London Heathrow (LHR) at this time. The flight only operated once a week. Name the airline that operated this service.

39. You are in Caracas and need to travel to Seattle. Ah, what's this? A direct one stop flight and first class is available! You will depart CCS at 10:00 am and arrive into SEA at 7:01 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

The next six quiz items have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

40. It's a lovely evening in Bakersfield where you've just arrived following an excellent backpacking hiking trip in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains of California. It's also time to get back to business and that means flying to Montreal for a meeting. You've been thinking that you'll need to catch a Beechcraft 1900C, British Aerospace BAe Jetstream 31 or Swearingen Metro III commuter propjet from BFL down to LAX and make a connection when you are totally amazed to discover there is direct two stop service departing from Bakersfield in the morning to Montreal! Book em, Dano! Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type. Airline was American and the second stop was ORD. The first stop wasn't DFW, SBA, ONT, PSP, LAS, SJC, LAX , SFO or SAN. The equipment was a B757-200. And now ANSWERED....

41. Now you are in San Francisco and need to travel to Port of Spain on business. To your great surprise, you find there is a direct flight from SFO to POS that operates daily. Four stops are made en route by this service which departs San Francisco at 6:10 am and arrives into Port of Spain at 11:57 pm. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on this flight. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft.

43. You need to travel from New Orleans (MSY) to Aguadilla (BQN) in Puerto Rico in order to inspect a sailboat that's for sale. Ah, here's a direct one stop flight! What airline will you be flying on, where will you stop and what is the equipment?

44. This airline was operating direct one stop service from San Juan (SJU) to Guatemala City (GUA) at this time. First class and coach were offered on this daily flight. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft type.

45. If you wanted to fly out of Fort Nelson, B.C. (YYE) on board a jet at this time, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on?

46. You are in New York City and need to travel to Vancouver, B.C. for a meeting. At this time, there is no nonstop service from any airport in the NYC area to YVR. However, one airline (and only one) does operate one direct flight a day to Vancouver which makes two stops en route. Name the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, the airline, the two stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

48. Now it's the summer of 1996 and you are in Victoria, B.C. You've been planning to join friends who are currently driving from Austin, Texas to Fairbanks, Alaska and have been informed they will arrive in Edmonton in the afternoon and then spend the night. So that's where you are headed. You'll depart YYJ at 10:15 am and arrive into YEG at 2:30 pm with two stops being made en route. Name the airline, the two stops and the aircraft type.

And into the new century......

49. You are back in New York City in early 2000 and are working out of an office located not too far from La Guardia Airport. You been asked to attend a meeting in Seattle and have found a convenient direct flight departing LGA in the afternoon that will arrive into SEA that night. Two stops will be made en route. Now you are not familiar with the airline that operates this service but you have managed to book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. It wasn't America West, the stops were not made at CMH and PHX and the aircraft wasn't an A320. Hint: the air carrier in question was a new start up which only lasted several years.

50. It's now late spring in 2001 and your long term project work from the office near La Guardia Airport in New York City has almost concluded. There's just one more meeting to attend and it will involve lunch at a location near San Francisco International Airport. You've grown accustomed to flying out of La Guardia during this work assignment as the airfield is very conveniently located to the office and your apartment. So you find a direct flight departing LGA at 6:50 am that will get you into SFO at 11:30 am with one stop being made en route. Once again you're not familiar with the airline operating this flight but you've been informed you will flying on board an aircraft type which the air carrier has recently introduced into their fleet. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
Making good progress here concerning the first group of quiz items and still looking for answers for the above.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:48 pm Reason: additional info & answer update
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we've had excellent response concerning the preceding UK-themed quiz items, I have elected to submit additional quiz items concerning London area airports. I have also included the two bonus quiz items previously submitted which have been renumbered.

The time line for all of the following quiz items is the fall of 1993.

51. This airline was operating nonstop jet service twice a day from Belfast International Airport (BFS) to London Luton Airport (LTN) These flights were operated with same aircraft type which featured an all-coach class (Y) seating configuration. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

52. Only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW) at this time. The flights were operated twice a week. Identify this air carrier. It wasn't EVA Air or Air China

56. Only one air carrier was operating nonstop Boeing 747-400 service from Frankfurt (FRA) into London Gatwick (LGW). The flight operated once a week. Identify this airline.

57. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Gatwick (LGW). Name the air carrier and the equipment.
ANSWERED

58. This airline was operating daily nonstop service from Florence (FLR) to London Stansted (STN). Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

59. If you wanted to depart from London Heathrow (LHR) on board a DHC-7 Dash 7 at this time, what airline would you call? ANSWERED

BONUS quiz item.....

The Royal Air Force - 38 Transport Group in the UK had its own two letter airline code listed in the OAG. What was it and why did they have it?
ANSWERED
Making great progress here as well and here's what we have remaining to be answered......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 17, 2019 at 10:19 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
49. You are back in New York City in early 2000 and are working out of an office located not too far from La Guardia Airport. You been asked to attend a meeting in Seattle and have found a convenient direct flight departing LGA in the afternoon that will arrive into SEA that night. Two stops will be made en route. Now you are not familiar with the airline that operates this service but you have managed to book a seat in first class. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment.
​​​​​​49- wondering if perhaps America West briefly served LGA from their short-lived hub at Columbus OH (CMH) ... the second stop would of course have been Phoenix (PHX), and the equipment likely an A320

40. Ah, it wasn't LAS....nor was it LAX or SJC. And the answer will most likely be a bit surprising.
40- that last hint would almost seem to point to San Francisco (SFO)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA
59. If you wanted to depart from London Heathrow (LHR) on board a DHC-7 Dash 7 at this time, what airline would you call?
BA. Who were the agents for Brymon Airways, I am presuming for flights from Heathrow to Plymouth (DHC-7 performance necessary) and Newquay, generally both served in a triangle arrangement.

Brymon were the absolute pioneers of London City, it was one of their Dash-7s which made he initial landing on the ground where London's Canary Wharf now stands. There's a plaque up for it in Heron Quays DLR train station. jlemon may even have a photo of it . They later did the first ever landing at LCY. I went onto the runway a few minutes later and looked at the pioneer rubber marks there.

The Royal Air Force - 38 Transport Group in the UK had its own two letter airline code listed in the OAG. What was it and why did they have it?
"RR". For the L-1011 Tristar flights from RAF Brize Norton to Ascension Island, and on to Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. These were, and still are, offered commercially. Nowadays it is generally a commercial charter rather than the RAF's own aircraft - an A340 holds the assignment down today.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
46. You are in New York City and need to travel to Vancouver, B.C. for a meeting. At this time, there is no nonstop service from any airport in the NYC area to YVR. However, one airline (and only one) does operate one direct flight a day to Vancouver which makes two stops en route. Name the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, the airline, the two stops and the aircraft. It wasn't UA, the flight did not depart from LGA, the aircraft wasn't a 757 and the stops were not made at IAD and ORD. The equipment was smaller than a 757.
I don't remember where CO flew to YVR from except a short-lived(?) service with a flying bar but assuming rights had also been from DEN Stapleton, how about Continental EWR-CLE-DEN-YVR with a DC9..
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
​​​​​​49- wondering if perhaps America West briefly served LGA from their short-lived hub at Columbus OH (CMH) ... the second stop would of course have been Phoenix (PHX), and the equipment likely an A320

40- that last hint would almost seem to point to San Francisco (SFO)
40. Well, we can cross SFO off the list......and please guess again!

49. Nope, it wasn't America West, the stops were not made at CMH or PHX and the equipment wasn't an A320. So here's the hint: the airline in question was a new start-up that only lasted several years.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

40- sandwiching two more guesses into one post by using a permutation of letters: San Diego (SAN) and Orange County (SNA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.