Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by jlemon

BONUS quiz item # 2 .....

At this same time in 1993, only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW). The flights were operated twice a week. Name this air carrier.
Could it be EVA Air TPE-ZRH-LGW? (They started the route in March 1993, initially using 767-300s).
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Could it be EVA Air TPE-ZRH-LGW? (They started the route in March 1993, initially using 767-300s).
Nope....and the OAG at this time (fall of 1993) does not list any EVA Air flights from ZRH to LGW.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA

These ten quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1993.....

30. British Airways was jointly providing service with another air carrier at this time which involved using a Boeing 707 aircraft flown by this other airline on nonstop international service into London Heathrow. Both the BA two letter code and the other airline's two letter code were used on the flight number. Name this air carrier which operated the 707 service into LHR in association with BA as well as the city where this flight originated.
Hardly anyone had a 707 into Heathrow by 1993.

But I'll guess it was the MEA service from Beirut in Lebanon, joint with BA after they (or their insurers) decided that they would not operate their own aircraft into there.

35. You are ready to board a Boeing 727-200 at Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) and fly nonstop to London Heathrow (LHR). Identify the air carrier that operated this flight which was the only B727-200 service operated on the route at this time
This was an old Pan Am route for the aircraft type, but Pan Am had gone under by then. Lufthansa still had plenty of 727S and had rapidly expanded at Tegel when they were allowed, but I think that somehow they never put 727s in there. So I think I'm going to go for - Delta.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 13, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA
32. The OAG lists ten flights a week from Berlin Tempelhof (THF) to London City (LCY) operated independently by Conti-Flug (DD) with the BAe 146 at this time with direct one stop service to LCY being operated three days a week from Venice (VCE) via THF.
I went on this, twice, to Berlin, firstly shortly after the fall of The Wall. If I recall correctly it was actually the first scheduled jet service out of London City after the runway alterations were complete (not the first 146 of all - that was one of the RAF aircraft which brought Prince Charles in to open it). Their LCY-Berlin operation was reasonably successful, the Venice extension carried hardly anyone at all. They had radio ads in London which just repeated "Conti Flug airline to Berlin" in a monotone, just like Kraftwerk did on "Autobahn". Seemed appropriate.

It was actually my first ever flight out of London City. The descent into Tempelhof was comparable, among the high rise apartments, even closer than the ones that now surround London City - though not so much then though.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
35. You are ready to board a Boeing 727-200 at Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) and fly nonstop to London Heathrow (LHR). Identify the air carrier that operated this flight which was the only B727-200 service operated on the route at this time.

This sounds like TWA...

47. It's the spring of 1996 and you need to travel from Fresno to Des Moines on business. Luckily, there's a direct one stop flight departing FAT at 7:20 am which will get you into DSM at 2:10 pm. Perfect! Identify the air carrier, the stop and equipment.

I could see United operating this with a 737 of some variant - perhaps a -300 via Denver

Geaux Saints!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 13, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
42. You've taken care of business in Harrisburg, PA (HAR) and are now planning to travel to New Orleans to attend a Saints home game in the Superdome. There's a direct one stop flight departing HAR at 7:03 am that will get you into MSY at 11:30 am which will enable you to have a late lunch in the French Quarter with friends. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
42- Delta via Atlanta and Northwest via Detroit come immediately to mind, but the tendency to feature slightly less obvious answers leads me to guess USAir, operating a Fokker 100 with a stop in Charlotte (CLT)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hardly anyone had a 707 into Heathrow by 1993.

But I'll guess it was the MEA service from Beirut in Lebanon, joint with BA after they (or their insurers) decided that they would not operate their own aircraft into there.

This was an old Pan Am route for the aircraft type, but Pan Am had gone under by then. Lufthansa still had plenty of 727S and had rapidly expanded at Tegel when they were allowed, but I think that somehow they never put 727s in there. So I think I'm going to go for - Delta.
Hello WHBM! Hope all is well with you and the family, sir!

30. Correct! British Airways and Middle East Airlines were operating one flight a week with a 707 into Heathrow at this time. Here's the sched....

ME/BA 201: Beirut (BEY) 11:30 - 14:35 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Thursday only
Equip: 707
Service classes: F/Y

BA and MEA were jointly operating other service as well at this time from BEY to LHR with 747 equipment on Tuesdays and Saturdays using the same ME/BA 201 flight number. And, indeed, the 707 was a rather rare aircraft type at Heathrow in the fall of 1993. The only other 707 flight I could find at this time was flown once a week on Fridays from Banjul (BJL) in Gambia nonstop to London Gatwick (LGW) by an airline using the two letter "IV" code. Unfortunately, the airline code page of my battered old OAG is missing so I cannot tell you who "IV" is!

35. Ah, it wasn't Delta....

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:08 pm Reason: correction
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
35. You are ready to board a Boeing 727-200 at Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL) and fly nonstop to London Heathrow (LHR). Identify the air carrier that operated this flight which was the only B727-200 service operated on the route at this time.

This sounds like TWA...

47. It's the spring of 1996 and you need to travel from Fresno to Des Moines on business. Luckily, there's a direct one stop flight departing FAT at 7:20 am which will get you into DSM at 2:10 pm. Perfect! Identify the air carrier, the stop and equipment.

I could see United operating this with a 737 of some variant - perhaps a -300 via Denver

Geaux Saints!
35. Nope, it wasn't TWA......

47. Good old United is an excellent guess given their long history of service into Fresno. However, it wasn't UA, the equipment wasn't a 737 of any type and the stop was not made at DEN.

Please guess again, sir! And it's kickoff time at the New Orleans Superdome as the Saints take on the Philadelphia Eagles in their first playoff game!

:-::-::-: GEAUX SAINTS!!!!!! :-::-::-:
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
42- Delta via Atlanta and Northwest via Detroit come immediately to mind, but the tendency to feature slightly less obvious answers leads me to guess USAir, operating a Fokker 100 with a stop in Charlotte (CLT)
42. It wasn't USAir and the stop was not made at CLT. But you have correctly guessed the aircraft type: the Fokker 100.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:00 pm

The only other 707 flight I could find at this time was flown once a week on Fridays from Banjul (BJL) in Gambia nonstop to LHR by an airline using the two letter "IV" code. Unfortunately, the airline code page of my battered old OAG is missing so I cannot tell you who "IV" is!
IV was Air Gambia. They flew to Gatwick during 1991/1992, so must have moved on to Heathrow by 1993.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IV was Air Gambia. They flew to Gatwick during 1991/1992, so must have moved on to Heathrow by 1993.
I stand corrected, sir! Air Gambia (IV) was indeed serving Gatwick in the fall of 1993 and thus not Heathrow.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:16 pm

BONUS quiz item # 2 .....

At this same time in 1993, only one airline was operating Boeing 747-400 service from Zurich (ZRH) to London Gatwick (LGW). The flights were operated twice a week. Name this air carrier. It wasn't EVA Air (BR)
Was it Air China [CA] PEK-ZRH-LGW

(Re EVA Air, I think their flight routed through Vienna, at least when they started with 767-300s).

Last edited by KT550; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:23 pm Reason: Eva Air note added
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it Air China [CA] PEK-ZRH-LGW
Nope! Please guess again! And EVA Air was indeed routing via Vienna (VIE) at this time.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

If not United, American would be my next guess. Via DFW with an MD80

Now then, the Saints better get geauxing. 14-0 !
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

If not United, American would be my next guess. Via DFW with an MD80

Now then, the Saints better get geauxing. 14-0 !
47. Another great guess! But no, it wasn't AA, the stop was not made at DFW and the equipment wasn't an MD-80.

And at least the Saints are now on the scoreboard after the first quarter disaster......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.