Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
So we are looking for the largest jet type operated into Vigie (SLU) and thus not Hewanorra (UVF). And it wasn't a wide body, of course.
If it wasn't a widebody, and bearing in mind the ownership of BWIA, did they operate one of their hot-rod 707-138Bs into there ? Maybe just a short hop to Antigua where they could refuel and go somewhere properly.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
ok, " partially correct" in that it was indeed five stops between ORD and MIA -- the segments were certainly long enough for snack (ORD-MEM) and lunch (MCO-MIA) service ... and just for the record, I've always considered the mention of meal service more of a conversation point than anything else

pulling out all the stops here for my last guess on this one:
United with a 737 operating via:
  1. Toledo (TOL)
  2. Cleveland (CLE)
  3. Akron/Canton (CAK)
  4. Pittsburgh (PIT)
  5. Tampa (TPA)
14. Not me....and especially being on board a milk run flight for 8 hours and 10 minutes with no possibility of deplaning at any of the stops for a bite to eat. Having a full hot lunch served en route would have made a big difference for yours truly......

As for "partial credit", we'll use your Official Cajun Get Out Of Jail Free Card here to make that happen....but this was a one time card and you have now cashed it in.

And nope, it wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a 737 and the flight in question did not stop at any of the airports you have mentioned with the exception of Tampa which we already know was the fifth stop.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2019 at 10:50 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
If it wasn't a widebody, and bearing in mind the ownership of BWIA, did they operate one of their hot-rod 707-138Bs into there ? Maybe just a short hop to Antigua where they could refuel and go somewhere properly.
BONUS: No, it wasn't a Boeing 707.....but on the plus side of the column, the airline in question was BWIA.

So we shall await the tap in here and I'll then provide a link to a photo of this aircraft type at SLU.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:30 pm

BONUS: No, it wasn't a Boeing 707.....but on the plus side of the column, the airline in question was BWIA.

So we shall await the tap in here and I'll then provide a link to a photo of this aircraft type at SLU.
Let's try one of their longstanding 727-100 fleet.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's try one of their longstanding 727-100 fleet.
Well, that is an excellent guess. However, it wasn't the 727......and at least every bit of research I've been able to accomplish indicates that BWIA never operated their B727-100 aircraft into Vigie Field (SLU).....so there's our caveat.

Indeed, the BWIA system timetable dated Dec. 15, 1965 takes care to let all interested parties know the airline was proposing to initiate its first jet service into what would become Hewanorra Airport (UVF) with this note accompanying the proposed scheduled service:

BW 405: San Juan - St. Lucia (Beane Field) Sector - 727 SUNJET - Subject to Government Approval

Heretofore, BWIA had served the other airport on St. Lucia, Vigie Field (SLU), since at least 1950 (I think with Lockheed Lodestar aircraft back then).

In fact, when BWIA announced brand new 727 service into UVF in 1965, they were continuing serve SLU at the same time.....and the aircraft utilized into SLU by BWIA at this time was the Vickers Viscount (no doubt provided by BOAC as you have well documented). The Viscount schedule in 1965 into SLU by BWIA consisted of one round trip flight operated daily on a routing of POS-GND-BGI-SLU-FDF-PTP-ANU with onward connecting service on the northbound flight offered via Antigua on certain days.

On the other hand, the new 727 schedule operated by BWIA which appears to have received government approval ("Ah, another rum drink, Minister, and we certainly appreciate your support with regard to this obviously vital contribution to the island's tourism industry in the form of our brilliant new jet service.....") and then subsequently launched was only operated once a week round trip on a routing of POS-BGI-UVF-SJU-KIN-MBJ-MIA as indicated by the timetable. This also appears to have been the very first jet service between the island of St. Lucia and Miami.

However, I wander from my theme. It wasn't a 727. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:58 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
20. Nope! Please guess again!
Top Banana
(Hughes Airwest 727-200)
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
16. Another day, another interesting milk run in 1976! You are in Chicago and will be traveling to Miami. There's a daily flight from ORD to MIA which makes five stops en route with a snack being served followed by lunch later on during the flight. Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft. It wasn't DL, EA, SO or UA nor was the aircraft a DC9-10, a 737 of any type or a 72S. Stops were not made at MEM, BNA, BHM, JAN, MOB, PNS, VPS, TLH, FLL, CVG, LEX, ATL, TOL, CLE, CAK or PIT. The fifth stop was TPA.
Pretty soon we're going to have every airport east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio eliminated!

I'm going to guess Braniff operating a standard 727 ORD-MCI-DFW-IAH-MSY-TPA-MIA.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Top Banana
(Hughes Airwest 727-200)
20. Ah, no.....keep trying!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Pretty soon we're going to have every airport east of the Mississippi and south of the Ohio eliminated!

I'm going to guess Braniff operating a standard 727 ORD-MCI-DFW-IAH-MSY-TPA-MIA.
16. Good show there, Herb, as the air carrier in question was indeed Braniff International operating a Boeing 727-100 and MCI was the first stop!

However, this one shall remain play as you've missed a couple of the stops with this flight not stopping at IAH or MSY. And although this service did stop at DFW, it wasn't the second stop. We already know that TPA was the fifth stop.

We await the tap in concerning the correct routing......
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:06 pm

However, I wander from my theme. It wasn't a 727. Please guess again, sir!
I'm just left with BWIA's DC-9-50/MD-80 fleet. DC-9-50 was a noisy runway hog. Let's try the MD-80.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
16. good show there, herb, as the air carrier in question was indeed braniff international operating a boeing 727-100 and mci was the first stop!

However, this one shall remain play as you've missed a couple of the stops with this flight not stopping at iah or msy. And although this service did stop at dfw, it wasn't the second stop. We already know that tpa was the fifth stop.

We await the tap in concerning the correct routing......
Must be ORD-MCI-ICT-OKC-DFW-TPA-MIA.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just left with BWIA's DC-9-50/MD-80 fleet. DC-9-50 was a noisy runway hog. Let's try the MD-80.
BONUS: Correct! Here's another photo of the former Vigie Field (SLU) taken on final approach over the Caribbean Sea.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/...8te4HJS/ulrLgy

And here's a BWIA MD-83 on the ground at SLU. If you look closely at the cabin windows, you just might be able to see a number of passengers crossing themselves following a safe landing.......

https://www.airliners.net/photo/BWIA...QQ%2B/idRbQSny

A 1996 OAG Pocket Flight Guide lists two MD-80 flights a week from New York JFK as well as two MD-80 flights a week from Miami into SLU with both of these BWIA services presumably making one intermediate stop beforehand at Antigua. However, by 1999, BWIA had moved its MD-80 flights back to Hewanorra Airport (UVF) on St. Lucia and was no longer serving SLU.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 4, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Must be ORD-MCI-ICT-OKC-DFW-TPA-MIA.
16. Yep! Here's the sched....

BN 127: Chicago (ORD) 1:00p - 2:15p Kansas City 2:45p - 3:25p Wichita (ICT) 3:50p - 4:25p Oklahoma City (OKC) 4:50p - 5:30p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 6:00p - 8:55p Tampa TPA) 9:20p - 10:10p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 727

And with that, I'm going to take the rest of the day off with regard to the OTAQ&D with Lady K and yours truly heading out to the country for a big holiday BBQ and fireworks show with family and friends.

Happy Fourth of July to One and All!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:40 pm

And here's a BWIA MD-83 on the ground at SLU. If you look closely at the cabin windows, you just might be able to see a number of passengers crossing themselves following a safe landing.......
Meh ... just a kindergarten for pilots for landing at London City.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:48 am

19. It's 1976. You arrive at the airport in Mexico City just in time to catch the last flight of the day to Miami. This daily service departs MEX at 2:55 pm and arrives into MIA at 8:32 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.
Pan Am 707. Stops at Tampa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.