FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:21 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Let's try one of their longstanding 727-100 fleet.
Well, that is an excellent guess. However, it wasn't the 727......and at least every bit of research I've been able to accomplish indicates that BWIA never operated their B727-100 aircraft into Vigie Field (SLU).....so there's our caveat.

Indeed, the BWIA system timetable dated Dec. 15, 1965 takes care to let all interested parties know the airline was proposing to initiate its first jet service into what would become Hewanorra Airport (UVF) with this note accompanying the proposed scheduled service:

BW 405: San Juan - St. Lucia (Beane Field) Sector - 727 SUNJET - Subject to Government Approval

Heretofore, BWIA had served the other airport on St. Lucia, Vigie Field (SLU), since at least 1950 (I think with Lockheed Lodestar aircraft back then).

In fact, when BWIA announced brand new 727 service into UVF in 1965, they were continuing serve SLU at the same time.....and the aircraft utilized into SLU by BWIA at this time was the Vickers Viscount (no doubt provided by BOAC as you have well documented). The Viscount schedule in 1965 into SLU by BWIA consisted of one round trip flight operated daily on a routing of POS-GND-BGI-SLU-FDF-PTP-ANU with onward connecting service on the northbound flight offered via Antigua on certain days.

On the other hand, the new 727 schedule operated by BWIA which appears to have received government approval ("Ah, another rum drink, Minister, and we certainly appreciate your support with regard to this obviously vital contribution to the island's tourism industry in the form of our brilliant new jet service.....") and then subsequently launched was only operated once a week round trip on a routing of POS-BGI-UVF-SJU-KIN-MBJ-MIA as indicated by the timetable. This also appears to have been the very first jet service between the island of St. Lucia and Miami.

However, I wander from my theme. It wasn't a 727. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:58 pm Reason: clarification