Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Please limit your response to two and no more than three quiz items per day so that all may participate. Thanks!

3. It's 1966 and time for a milk run! You need to travel from Corpus Christi (CRP) to Amarillo (AMA) and have found a daily flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the airline, all four stops in order and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

4. Now it's 1967 and time for another milk run. You are in Birmingham, AL (BHM) getting ready to head for Denver and a vacation in the Colorado Rockies. Ah, here's a daily flight offering first class which makes five stops en route. What airline will you check in with at BHM, what are the five stops in order and what type of aircraft will you be flying on? ANSWERED

5. You've always enjoyed sailing in Bermuda and now it's time to do so once again. It's still 1967 and you are in Chicago where you've just finished a project assignment as an independent contractor. There's a daily flight departing from ORD to BDA which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier as well as both stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

9. Fill in the blank concerning the identify of the air carrier which ran this print ad in 1970:

"When in Europe do as the Europeans do. Fly ______________."

11. In 1974, this air carrier was operating service three days a week from Honolulu to Bangkok. The flight departed HNL at 1:00 pm and arrived into BKK at 10:40 pm with two intermediate stops being made en route. In its timetable, the airline also listed a connection from Los Angeles via Honolulu to its Bangkok flight with this service being operated by a U.S. based air carrier. Name the airline which operated the flight from HNL to BKK as well as the two stops and the equipment. And for extra special bonus points, identify the U.S. air carrier which operated the LAX-HNL flight and the aircraft it operated on this service. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items have a time line of early 1976.....

13. This air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Las Vegas (LAS) to Hilo (ITO) which made one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

16. Another day, another interesting milk run! You are in Chicago and will be traveling to Miami. There's a daily flight from ORD to MIA which makes five stops en route with a snack being served followed by lunch later on during the flight. Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the aircraft.

17. This air carrier was operating the only nonstop service between New York City (JFK) and Cancun (CUN) with two flights a week. Identify the airline and the equipment. It wasn't Aeromexico or Lufthansa and the equipment wasn't a DC-10

19. You arrive at the airport in Mexico City just in time to catch the last flight of the day to Miami. This daily service departs MEX at 2:55 pm and arrives into MIA at 8:32 pm with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.

20. What was the name that Hughes Airwest used for its Boeing 727-200 aircraft in 1977? "_________ Banana" (it wasn't "Flying Banana" or "Golden Banana")
And we are making excellent progress here with the above still looking for answers......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 1, 2019 at 3:40 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

Here's an aerial view of SLU taken from a Dash 8 on final:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/-/-/...9oZvmTIj9nynBo

And here's a BONUS quiz question.....

What was the largest jetliner type ever operated into Vigie Airport (SLU) on St. Lucia in scheduled passenger service and what airline operated it?
Plus we are still looking for an answer here as well.....
Old Jun 29, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
And we are making excellent progress here ... still looking for answers....
4. Now it's 1967 and time for another milk run. You are in Birmingham, AL (BHM) getting ready to head for Denver and a vacation in the Colorado Rockies. Ah, here's a daily flight offering first class which makes five stops en route. What airline will you check in with at BHM, what are the five stops in order and what type of aircraft will you be flying on? ...
4- the part of the question that I highlighted leads me to think we’re looking for an interchange operation ... Eastern and Delta would be the logical choices out of BHM, but I don’t recall DL participating in any interchanges save for their Pan Am flights (MSY-ATL-IAD-LHR) that we have discussed on numerous occasions

commonality of equipment leads me to believe this flight featured a Lockheed Electra operated by EA and Braniff; reflecting on those two carriers’ route maps suggests the interchange point was Memphis (MEM) ... I’ll posit that the EA section first put down in Nashville (BNA), and the BN continuation stopped in Little Rock (LIT), Oklahoma City (OKC), and Amarillo (AMA)

5. You've always enjoyed sailing in Bermuda and now it's time to do so once again. It's still 1967 and you are in Chicago where you've just finished a project assignment as an independent contractor. There's a daily flight departing from ORD to BDA which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier as well as both stops in order and the equipment.
5- this would have also been Eastern; probably also an Electra ... I’m totally speculating on the stops, but I’ll start the guessing with Louisville (SDF) and Washington National (DCA)

Last edited by jrl767; Jun 29, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA
10. And speaking of Trans International 727 equipment at JFK back in the early 1970's......
It was surprising how few 727s were run by the Supplementals in the 1960s-70s, and because Boeing never offered the 727-200C (anyone know why not) the handful were all the original size. World had half a dozen (normally with most leased out), TIA as here had a few, American Flyers had two ... that's all I can think of.

And surprisingly they did quite a lot of Transatlantic work with them, generally staging through Gander. American Flyers were pretty regular with them at Gatwick in the summer around 1970, and the others turned up as well. I presume they did winter work down to the Caribbean.

I've written before how we took a Wardair 727 Prestwick - Sondrestrom (Greenland) - Vancouver in 1968, a comparable operation.

As well as having the freight door capability, whether used or not, the US Supplemental carrier aircraft were all fully rigged up for over-ocean flights, with full liferafts, Loran navigation, HF radio, etc. It always came as a real surprise to find mainstream aircraft confined to the North American continent with simplistic seat-bottom "use this cushion as a life preserver", etc. Every flight you take in Europe, even UK domestic prop aircraft, has the full set of rafts and lifejackets, and goes through the whole drill before every flight. Operators to Hawaii would have a special subset of the fleet rigged up properly.

It followed that much of the US airline fleet was not readily used on overseas flights. For example, when National got the Miami-London route (1969) they had a good number of DC-8s, but none fitted for over ocean work, nor were the crews trained in this. I don't think they even had over-ocean capability on their Air Operators Certificate. So they had to lease in two DC8-54F (of course with the unused freight door) from Airlift, a Miami Supplemental/cargo carrier. Aircraft N108RD and N109RD were repainted in National colours, they had Airlift flight deck crews, they had been with various other leases previously such as Japan Air Lines, and held down the London route for several years. Airlift actually did the technical management and flight dispatch, as they had the capability and licences for such work and National didn't until their 747s came along.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
It was surprising how few 727s were run by the Supplementals in the 1960s-70s, and because Boeing never offered the 727-200C (anyone know why not) the handful were all the original size. World had half a dozen (normally with most leased out), TIA as here had a few, American Flyers had two ... that's all I can think of.....
U.S. supplemental air carrier Trans International Airlines (TIA) also operated DC-8 aircraft (in addition to DC-10, Electra and even Hercules airplanes). Here's one at JFK back in 1965 flying on behalf of another airline.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Luft...aUUGNjkBdqhF7a
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

4- the part of the question that I highlighted leads me to think we’re looking for an interchange operation ... Eastern and Delta would be the logical choices out of BHM, but I don’t recall DL participating in any interchanges save for their Pan Am flights (MSY-ATL-IAD-LHR) that we have discussed on numerous occasions....
commonality of equipment leads me to believe this flight featured a Lockheed Electra operated by EA and Braniff; reflecting on those two carriers’ route maps suggests the interchange point was Memphis (MEM) ... I’ll posit that the EA section first put down in Nashville (BNA), and the BN continuation stopped in Little Rock (LIT), Oklahoma City (OKC), and Amarillo (AMA)

5- this would have also been Eastern; probably also an Electra ... I’m totally speculating on the stops, but I’ll start the guessing with Louisville (SDF) and Washington National (DCA)
4. Close enough for government work! And this was indeed a long standing Eastern/Braniff International interchange operation which had been previously flown with a Convair 440 and was later operated with a 727, both with slightly different routings than the Electra service.

You are also just a bit off with your routing but are in the ballpark. So here's the complete sched and please note the Eastern timetable for this flight did not include the arrival times for those cities west of the Memphis EA/BN interchange point in addition to the arrival time at BHM from ATL....

EA/BN 982: Dep. Atlanta (ATL) 4:55p, dep. Birmingham (BHM) 5:05p, arr. Memphis (MEM) 5:56p, dep. MEM 6:30p, arr. Little Rock (LIT) 7:27p, dep. Tulsa (TUL) 8:45p, dep. Oklahoma City (OKC) 9:38p, dep. Amarillo (AMA) 11:00p, arr. Denver (DEN) 11:19p
Freq: Daily
Service classes: A/T
Meal services: Dinner BHM-MEM, Snack OKC-AMA
Equip: Electra PROP JET

5. Eastern operating ORD-SDF-DCA-BDA is correct! But not with an Electra....so please guess again concerning the equipment.

And we await the tap in.....
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5- well, I guess it has to be a 727-100, since the DC-7s that used to run DCA<—>BDA left the fleet in 1966
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
11. In 1974, this air carrier was operating service three days a week from Honolulu to Bangkok. The flight departed HNL at 1:00 pm and arrived into BKK at 10:40 pm with two intermediate stops being made en route. In its timetable, the airline also listed a connection from Los Angeles via Honolulu to its Bangkok flight with this service being operated by a U.S. based air carrier. Name the airline which operated the flight from HNL to BKK as well as the two stops and the equipment. And for extra special bonus points, identify the U.S. air carrier which operated the LAX-HNL flight and the aircraft it operated on this service.

Pan Am, stopping in HND and HKG (Kai Tak), 747-100
bonus point attempt. Also Pan Am and 747-100
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- well, I guess it has to be a 727-100, since the DC-7s that used to run DCABDA left the fleet in 1966
5. Ah, a correction here.....and an apology!

In my haste earlier this evening to get ready to depart with Lady K for a dinner party with very good friends (featuring some superb and properly aged red wines from the Napa Valley, OBTW), I neglected to check my source material for this quiz item. I do seem to recall that at one point Eastern operated nonstop service between Washington National (DCA) and Bermuda (BDA).

However, not on the Eastern flight in question which actually operated ORD - SDF - EWR - BDA......and not with a B727-100.

So with that, you now have an Official Cajun Get Out Of Jail Free Card and we await your answer concerning the equipment Eastern operated on this flight via the second stop in Newark.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
11. In 1974, this air carrier was operating service three days a week from Honolulu to Bangkok. The flight departed HNL at 1:00 pm and arrived into BKK at 10:40 pm with two intermediate stops being made en route. In its timetable, the airline also listed a connection from Los Angeles via Honolulu to its Bangkok flight with this service being operated by a U.S. based air carrier. Name the airline which operated the flight from HNL to BKK as well as the two stops and the equipment. And for extra special bonus points, identify the U.S. air carrier which operated the LAX-HNL flight and the aircraft it operated on this service.

Pan Am, stopping in HND and HKG (Kai Tak), 747-100
bonus point attempt. Also Pan Am and 747-100
11. Yep, it was a 747 stopping in Tokyo and Hong Kong......but nope, it wasn't Pan Am.

And nope, it wasn't PA operating LAX-HNL and the equipment wasn't a 747.

Please guess again!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
11. Yep, it was a 747 stopping in Tokyo and Hong Kong......but nope, it wasn't Pan Am.

And nope, it wasn't PA operating LAX-HNL and the equipment wasn't a 747.

Please guess again!
BOAC
United DC-8
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13. This air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Las Vegas (LAS) to Hilo (ITO) which made one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't UA nor was the equip a D8S

However, you are definitely on the right track here as this flight indeed stopped at LAX so please guess again, sir!

Okay, I will. Let's go with Western operating a Boeing 720B

Yep, it was a 747 stopping in Tokyo and Hong Kong......

This sounds like it could be Air Siam. I haven't a clue as to the U.S. carrier that operated the LAX-HNL service however. I don't recall UA/AA/CO/WA having any international agreements in Asia at the time. PA and NW already served most Asian cities direct from the U.S. so I can't imagine they'd help out. How about TWA? It used to run 707s and later L-1011s on the LAX-HNL route. If I had to pick based upon 1976, I guess I'd go with the 707.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: BA
11. In 1974, this air carrier was operating service three days a week from Honolulu to Bangkok. The flight departed HNL at 1:00 pm and arrived into BKK at 10:40 pm with two intermediate stops being made en route. In its timetable, the airline also listed a connection from Los Angeles via Honolulu to its Bangkok flight with this service being operated by a U.S. based air carrier. Name the airline which operated the flight from HNL to BKK as well as the two stops and the equipment. And for extra special bonus points, identify the U.S. air carrier which operated the LAX-HNL flight and the aircraft it operated on this service..
My hunch is this was (depending on when in 1974) BOAC/British Airways, towards the end of their Transpacific service. Flight coming from San Francisco, through Honolulu, Tokyo, Hong Kong, then on through Bangkok and the Middle East to London.

Connection from LAX on United. Probably also a 747.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
BOAC
United DC-8
11. Well, it wasn't BOAC operating from HNL to BKK nor was it United flying from LAX to HNL. And a DC-8 was not involved as well.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
13. This air carrier was operating a direct flight once a week from Las Vegas (LAS) to Hilo (ITO) which made one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't UA nor was the equip a D8S

However, you are definitely on the right track here as this flight indeed stopped at LAX so please guess again, sir!

Okay, I will. Let's go with Western operating a Boeing 720B

Yep, it was a 747 stopping in Tokyo and Hong Kong......

This sounds like it could be Air Siam. I haven't a clue as to the U.S. carrier that operated the LAX-HNL service however. I don't recall UA/AA/CO/WA having any international agreements in Asia at the time. PA and NW already served most Asian cities direct from the U.S. so I can't imagine they'd help out. How about TWA? It used to run 707s and later L-1011s on the LAX-HNL route. If I had to pick based upon 1976, I guess I'd go with the 707.
11. Air Siam (VG) is correct! However, the U.S. air carrier whose LAX-HNL schedule appeared in the Air Siam timetable wasn't TWA flying a 707.....it was actually Continental operating a DC-10. Here's the Air Siam timetable....

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/vg2/vg74/vg74-1.jpg

13. Yep, it was Western. Here's the complete sched....

WA 567: Las Vegas (LAS) 7:55a - 8:48a Los Angeles (LAX) 10:00a - 1:20p Hilo (ITO) 1:55p (est.) - 2:35p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Mondays only
Service classes: LAS-LAX Y only, LAX-ITO-HNL Y/K
Meal service: Lunch in Y only LAX-ITO (no meal for K class pax)
Equip: B720B
Note: No local traffic ITO-HNL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.