Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
So I am going to try this again....but this time I will submit only ten new quiz items at a time in order to hopefully avoid the problem I encountered earlier today.

Please limit your responses to two quiz items per day so that all may participate. We are also looking for complete and specific answers here, as always. Thanks!

1. In 1957, this air carrier made the following statement in its timetable concerning its daily nonstop flight from New York Idlewild Airport:

Fly to CARACAS via (connecting city)......Best daily connection (to) Delta Air Lines DC-7.

Identify the airline that operated the service from New York, the connecting city and the equipment it flew from Idlewild which wasn't a DC-7. ANSWERED

2. Also in 1957, two different air carriers were cooperating concerning round trip service operated twice a week between Nassau and Havana. This flight made the same intermediate stop in each direction. Name both airlines, the stop and the aircraft type operated on the route. ANSWERED

3. In 1959, this airline made the following statement:

___(airline)___ DC-8 Jets link 7 Great American Cities

Identify the airline as well as all seven U.S. cities for a complete answer. ANSWERED

4. It's 1960 and you need to fly transatlantic from Lisbon to Quito. You've found a flight that operates once a week with three stops being made en route, one of which is a technical stop. Name the air carrier, all three stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. ANSWERED

5. It's still 1960 and you are now in Minneapolis. You're off to Miami and will be flying in first class with this daily flight making two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type. It was Eastern operating an L-188 Electra. The first stop was MDW. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't SDF, ATL, MEM, IND, PIE or BNA.

6. In 1961, this U.S. air carrier made the following statement in its timetable concerning a flight which departed every Wednesday:

Flight 817 will flag stop on ___(name of island)___ for a minimum of $600 in revenue in passengers or mail/cargo or combination thereof.

Name the air carrier, the location of the flag stop and the equipment operated on flight 817. ANSWERED

7. You are back in Minneapolis in 1963 and need to travel to Hartford. You've found a flight which operates six days a week and makes one stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

The following three quiz items have a time line of 1967....

8. This airline made the following statement concerning a new aircraft type in its fleet:

__________ Airlines' 560 mph Interstate Highway

Fill in the blank concerning the identity of air carrier and name the aircraft. It was a twin engine jet

9. It's time to go sailing! You are in Dallas and your old sailing buddy has just docked his catamaran at Freeport in the Bahamas. And there just happens to be a direct daily flight from DAL to FPO which makes two stops en route. Identify the airline, both stops and the equipment.This airline is no longer in existence

10. This aircraft manufacturer made the following statement that year:

The most profitable jet for high-density commuter markets.

Name the manufacturer and the aircraft. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 23, 2019 at 10:36 am Reason: answer updates
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
1. In 1957, this air carrier made the following statement in its timetable concerning its daily nonstop flight from New York Idlewild Airport:

Fly to CARACAS via (connecting city)......Best daily connection (to) Delta Air Lines DC-7.

Identify the airline that operated the service from New York, the connecting city and the equipment it flew from Idlewild which wasn't a DC-7.

1- my initial answer was going to be New Orleans, but I think that DL’s nonstop MSY-CCS service only began after they had jets ... in the DC-7 era I believe there was a stop in Havana (HAV), which would suggest the connecting service was Cubana operating a Super Constellation
3. In 1959, this airline made the following statement:

___(airline)___ DC-8 Jets link 7 Great American Cities

Identify the airline as well as all seven U.S. cities for a complete answer.

3- I can think of two candidate airlines, with a few common cities between them ... I’ll start alphabetically, with Delta serving the following destinations:
  1. Atlanta (ATL)
  2. Chicago (ORD)
  3. Dallas (DAL)
  4. Detroit (DTW)
  5. Miami (MIA)
  6. New Orleans (MSY)
  7. New York (IDL)

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Continuing on.....

11. In 1968, this airline made the following statement which concerned one of the aircraft types in its fleet:

Bermuda. Nassau. Freeport. Jamaica. Antigua. Barbados. We have a beautiful way to get you there.

Name the air carrier and the aircraft. ANSWERED

12. It's 1973 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to Kingston, Jamaica and have been informed of a flight which makes one stop en route and is operated five days a week. Your travel agent also tells you there will be a flight number change at the intermediate stop but you will only be on the ground for 30 minutes and will stay on the same aircraft for the continuing flight on to KIN. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. The aircraft was a twin engine jet and this air carrier was not based in the U.S.

13. Now it's 1974. The phone rings and the following question is asked: "Hey, can you be here for a meeting this Monday morning?" It turns out that "here" is New York City. Your current location is Honoka'a on the Big Island of Hawaii where you've been visiting friends at their beachfront home. You quickly ascertain that two airlines and one connection will be required for your trip from Hawaii to New York. You will depart from the nearest airport to Honoka'a that has jet service and fly nonstop to your connecting city where you will have a leisurely connecting interval of several hours. Your next flight will then make one stop en route to New York. So with all this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from on the Big Island, the airline and the equipment you will depart on, the connecting city, the second airline and aircraft you will fly on as well as the en route stop and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area. ANSWERED

14. Man, it sure is cold in New York City in early 1976! So how about yet another sail trip at a much warmer location, this time in the Caribbean? Your old sailing buddy has his catamaran moored near old San Juan so all you have to do is get down there. Now you could fly nonstop to SJU....but you've found an interesting flight which operates daily and makes four stops en route. So with this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. Eastern operating a B727-100 departing from Newark (EWR). The first stop was Baltimore (BAL). The next three stops were all in the Caribbean.....but they were not made at ANU, BGI, STT, STX or SXM.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1979.....

15. You are in Vancouver, B.C. where you've just finished a project assignment. Now you need to head to Tampa for a meeting in advance of your next project. Much to your surprise, you find there is a direct daily flight from YVR to TPA which makes four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

16. This airline was operating a daily nonstop flight from Florida to the U.S. west coast with a Boeing 727-100 at this time. Name the air carrier and the two airports served by this flight. ANSWERED

17. Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place in the fall! You've been visiting with friends at their lake shore home but now it's time to get back to business which means a journey to Miami. However, you were planning to fly out of Lake Tahoe Airport which unfortunately has now been temporarily closed due to an early season snowstorm. "No problem," says one of your friends, "Let's hop into my four wheel drive Chevy Blazer and I'll drive you over to the airport in Reno. I've even got snow chains should we need them but I don't think we'll have any problem once we get over the pass and hit U.S. 395 north." So after some hastily revised travel plans, off you go. You will be flying on two airlines and thus making a connection. You will also be flying on board two different aircraft types. Your first flight will be nonstop to your connecting airport where you will have a layover of less than two hours. Your second flight will make one intermediate stop en route. So with this in mind, identify the first airline and the equipment, the connecting airport, the second airline and the equipment plus the stop made by the second flight.

18. In 1981, this airline announced it would begin offering a first class service named "Upper Class" on its transatlantic flights into and out of London Gatwick Airport. It stated this "Upper Class" service would include "fine wines, five-star cuisine and complimentary chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce service to and from Gatwick Airport". Name the air carrier and the equipment it was operating into LGW. And no, it wasn't Virgin Atlantic. ANSWERED

19. Now it's 1982 and you are in Peoria. You need to travel to to Los Angeles and are amazed to find a direct flight from PIA to LAX which operates daily and makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the aircraft type. It was Continental operating a B727-200 with a routing of PIA - OMA - DEN - ___ - LAX. Still looking for the third stop which wasn't ONT, SNA or PSP.

20. Also in 1982, this air carrier was operating only three eastbound departures a day from Las Vegas, all of which were red eye flights departing between just after midnight to just before 2:00 am and all of which were flown with the same aircraft type. Each flight operated nonstop to a different city and two of the flights continued on to other destinations. Identify the airline, the equipment it operated on all three flights and the three different destinations it served nonstop from LAS at this time. ANSWERED

More to follow tomorrow.....

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:21 pm Reason: a bit of wordsmithing here and there & answer updates & year correction on # 18
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- my initial answer was going to be New Orleans, but I think that DL’s nonstop MSY-CCS service only began after they had jets ... in the DC-7 era I believe there was a stop in Havana (HAV), which would suggest the connecting service was Cubana operating a Super Constellation

3- I can think of two candidate airlines, with a few common cities between them ... I’ll start alphabetically, with Delta serving the following destinations:
  1. Atlanta (ATL)
    • Chicago (ORD)
      • Dallas (DAL)
        • Detroit (DTW)
          • Miami (MIA)
            • New Orleans (MSY)
              • New York (IDL)

1. Cubana is correct! Their daily nonstop flight operated with a Super "G" Constellation departed New York Idlewild at 3:30 pm and arrived into Havana at 7:05 pm.

3. Delta is correct and you have also correctly identified all seven U.S. cities it was serving with the DC-8 at this time as well.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
7. You are back in Minneapolis in 1963 and need to travel to Hartford. You've found a flight which operates six days a week and makes one stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

I could see United running a Caravelle via Chicago O'Hare for this flight...

16. This airline was operating a daily nonstop flight from Florida to the U.S. west coast with a Boeing 727-100 at this time. Name the air carrier and the two airports served by this flight.

Sounds like National operating from Tampa to Los Angeles...
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

Name the manufacturer and the aircraft.

Boeing, 727-200 (not the -200 Advanced, which came out later)
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, I was just getting ready to post my first round of new quiz items after spending several hours composing them when I received a system error message followed by my post being completely wiped out without a trace with apparently no way to retrieve it. Very frustrating! I have reached out to the FT technical folks concerning this problem but I have a feeling I may have to start over from scratch.
I am very sorry to hear this, JL. I was at work when your phone message was left and so was unable to respond until late tonight - after having attended an end-of-season burn party where everything from uniform shirts to pages from the FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations) books we all have to possess go in a big bonfire whilst enjoying cold beer and/or good whiskey.

Now that I am safely home with a glass of Russell's Reserve on the rocks, I would like to add my voice to those of so many others here and highly recommend you invest in something along the lines of a Microsoft Office Suite. More than most, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into researching, composing and typing up these questions. I don't know where I'd be over the past 20 years without Word and Excel. Plus, I have all of my questions ever asked in a nice file format on Word. Best of all, if FT messes up in loading the questions, I've always got the hard copy on file and I can just resubmit it. More to the point, any decent office supply store like Staples or OfficeMax can sell you not only MS Office (I recommend the home/student version for basic needs) but also any of a number of decent online tutorials to teach you the basics. Learning is easy. I'd be happy to help you out next time I swing through Lafayette. I could even bring by a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20

P.S. Thanks for another fine effort on this scintillating collection of queries! ^^^ One of these days, I'd like to put together a compilation of maybe a thousand or so of our best questions.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 13, 2019 at 3:17 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. You are back in Minneapolis in 1963 and need to travel to Hartford. You've found a flight which operates six days a week and makes one stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

I could see United running a Caravelle via Chicago O'Hare for this flight...

16. This airline was operating a daily nonstop flight from Florida to the U.S. west coast with a Boeing 727-100 at this time. Name the air carrier and the two airports served by this flight.

Sounds like National operating from Tampa to Los Angeles...
7. United operating a Caravelle is correct! Here's the sched.....

UA 622: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 10:25a - 11:30a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 12:10p - 3:10p Hartford/Springfield (BDL)
Op: MSP-ORD daily except Sun., ORD-BDL daily
Service class: F
Meal service: Lunch ORD-BDL
Equip: Caravelle Red Carpet JET

16. You are two thirds of the way there as the air carrier was indeed National operating this transcontinental nonstop 727 service into LAX. However, the flight in question did not depart from TPA so please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Name the manufacturer and the aircraft.

Boeing, 727-200 (not the -200 Advanced, which came out later)
10. Correct! Here's the Boeing print ad from 1967.....

Boeingmostprofitable67
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

,,,,,I'd be happy to help you out next time I swing through Lafayette. I could even bring by a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20
Make that a bottle of Mad Dog 80/80 and I'm in!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I can't imagine National operating anything smaller than a DC-10 on its MIA-LAX nonstops, and after the DL/NE merger FLL was relegated to tag-on status for LAX service so let's go with Orlando to Los Angeles - a market we discussed in a previous question when it was served by Eastern with a 727-100
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
6. In 1961, this U.S. air carrier made the following statement in its timetable concerning a flight which departed every Wednesday:

Flight 817 will flag stop on ___(name of island)___ for a minimum of $600 in revenue in passengers or mail/cargo or combination thereof.

Name the air carrier, the location of the flag stop and the equipment operated on flight 817.
6- gotta be Pan Am; the island stop tells me it was on a TPAC or HNL-Asia/Australia route, which in turn says it was a 707 ... without looking at a map of the southwest Pacific, I can't come up with an island between HNL and AU/NZ that would have had a more-or-less on-demand flag stop, so I'll speculate that the mystery stop is Wake Island

13. Now it's 1974. The phone rings and the following question is asked: "Hey, can you be here for a meeting this Monday morning?" It turns out that "here" is New York City. Your current location is Honoka'a on the Big Island of Hawaii where you've been visiting friends at their beachfront home. You quickly ascertain that two airlines and one connection will be required for your trip from Hawaii to New York. You will depart from the nearest airport to Honoka'a that has jet service and fly nonstop to your connecting city where you will have a leisurely connecting interval of several hours. Your next flight will then make one stop en route to New York. So with all this in mind, identify the airport you will depart from on the Big Island, the airline and the equipment you will depart on, the connecting city, the second airline and aircraft you will fly on as well as the en route stop and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area.
13- in 1974 I'm reasonably certain there was little if any nonstop service from Hilo (ITO) to California, so the first segment of this trip was to Honolulu (HNL) aboard either an Aloha 737 or a Hawaiian DC-9 ... lots of airlines might have offered single-plane service over LAX/SFO to JFK/EWR, but I have to think this particular flight was a Saturday-only evening departure with a long leg out of HNL, arriving JFK ~1200 on Sunday ... how about a Braniff DC-8-62 via Dallas (DFW)

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 13, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine National operating anything smaller than a DC-10 on its MIA-LAX nonstops, and after the DL/NE merger FLL was relegated to tag-on status for LAX service so let's go with Orlando to Los Angeles - a market we discussed in a previous question when it was served by Eastern with a 727-100
16. Ah, it wasn't MCO nor was it MIA.....
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
6- gotta be Pan Am; the island stop tells me it was on a TPAC or HNL-Asia/Australia route, which in turn says it was a 707 ... without looking at a map of the southwest Pacific, I can't come up with an island between HNL and AU/NZ that would have had a more-or-less on-demand flag stop, so I'll speculate that the mystery stop is Wake Island

13- in 1974 I'm reasonably certain there was little if any nonstop service from Hilo (ITO) to California, so the first segment of this trip was to Honolulu (HNL) aboard either an Aloha 737 or a Hawaiian DC-9 ... lots of airlines might have offered single-plane service over LAX/SFO to JFK/EWR, but I have to think this particular flight was a Saturday-only evening departure with a long leg out of HNL, arriving JFK ~1200 on Sunday ... how about a Braniff DC-8-62 via Dallas (DFW)
6. Pan Am operating a Boeing 707 with a possible flag stop at Wake Island is correct! Here's the complete sched....

PA 817: Honolulu (HNL) 01:30 - **:** Wake Island (AWK) **:** - 05:25 Guam (GUM) 06:25 - 07:45 Manila (MNL) 09:15 - 11:30 Saigon (SGN) 12:15 - 13:30 Singapore (SIN)
Op: Wednesdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 707
Note: PA 817 originated at Los Angeles as PA 811 departing LAX at 21:45 and arriving HNL at 23:55

13. The first flight did not originate at Hilo (ITO) and we are still looking for the specific airline that operated the first flight. The connecting city was Honolulu (HNL). The second flight was not operated by Braniff International, the equipment wasn't a DC-8-62 and this flight did not stop at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW). The second flight did operate only on Saturdays and did arrive at New York Kennedy (JFK).

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 13, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: added equip comment for second flt
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13- well then! originate Kona (KOA), Aloha 737 to HNL; Northwest DC-10 HNL-JFK via Chicago (ORD)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.