Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
22- CLE-XXX-HOU ... I flew from St. Louis (STL) to HOU on TWA ... as that was ~1988, it would seem to suggest that they inherited the route from Ozark, which of course operated both the -10 and -30 ... right or wrong, I’ll say -30
Originally Posted by jlemon
29. It's 1983 and you are in Long Beach. You have a meeting to attend in Minneapolis and have found a direct one stop flight from LGB to MSP. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
29- yet another vote for an airline and routing that wouldn’t immediately come to mind — Jet America via Seattle (SEA) with an MD-80
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Continuing to continue on.....and I think it's time we had some UK-themed questions here.

The following quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1996.....

31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? It wasn't VLM, KLM City Hopper, Flexair or CityJet. The aircraft was a Fokker F50.

32. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Malmo, Sweden (MMA) to London City Airport (LCY) at this time, what air carrier would you call and what aircraft type would you be flying on? ANSWERED

33. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from London to Fort Lauderdale and the flight only operated twice a week. Identify the London area airport this flight departed from in addition to the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED

34. Only one air carrier was operating jet service from Cardiff (CWL) in Wales at this time with only one nonstop flight a day. Name the airline, the aircraft type and the destination served by this flight.

35. You are in Newcastle, England and need to travel to Stavanger, Norway. You've found a flight which operates nonstop from NCL to SVG six days a week and is flown with a jet. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft. ANSWERED

36. Now you need to travel from Stavanger to Aberdeen (ABZ) in Scotland. You have a choice of two airlines offering nonstop service, only one of which operates a jet on the route. Name the air carrier operating this jet service as well as the aircraft type. ANSWERED

37. Only one airline was operating jet service from East Midlands (EMA) to Belfast (BFS) at this time and the service only operated once a week on Sundays. Identify the airline and the equipment. ANSWERED

38. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Edinburgh (EDI) in Scotland to Humberside (HUY), what air carrier would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? ANSWERED

39. What was the largest aircraft type being flown into Sumburgh (LSI) in the Shetland Islands at this time and what airline operated it? ANSWERED

40. Only one air carrier was serving Bournemouth (BOH) with only one flight a day. The service was operated with a mainline jet aircraft type. Name the airline, the equipment and the destination served nonstop by this flight. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 18, 2019 at 11:24 am Reason: answer updates & correction to Newcastle on # 35 & airport code correction on # 40
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
22- CLE-XXX-HOU ... I flew from St. Louis (STL) to HOU on TWA ... as that was ~1988, it would seem to suggest that they inherited the route from Ozark, which of course operated both the -10 and -30 ... right or wrong, I’ll say -30

29- yet another vote for an airline and routing that wouldn’t immediately come to mind — Jet America via Seattle (SEA) with an MD-80
22. Ozark is correct! Here's the sched....

OZ 619: Cleveland (CLE) 1:30p - 1:55p St. Louis (STL) 3:00p - 4:53p Houston Hobby (HOU)
Op: Daily
Meal service: Snacks CLE-STL & STL-HOU
Equip: DC-9-30

29. Nope, it wasn't Jet America, the stop was not made in Seattle and the aircraft wasn't an MD-80.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The following quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1996.....

31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?

32. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Malmo, Sweden (MMA) to London City Airport (LCY) at this time, what air carrier would you call and what aircraft type would you be flying on?
31. VLM Airlines, Fokker 50

32. Malmo Aviation, BAe 146

LCY is one of the few airports, if not the only airport, that I have a desire to use at least once but have never done so. The airport looks like an aircraft carrier from the air.

Last edited by Toshbaf; Sep 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA
38. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Edinburgh (EDI) in Scotland to Humberside (HUY), what air carrier would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
Air UK, on a Fokker 50.
39. What was the largest aircraft type being flown into Sumburgh (LSI) in the Shetland Islands at this time and what airline operated it?
Probably an ABC Vanguard, doing the cargo shuttle from Aberdeen for Shell. However, that likely doesn't count, so I'll go for a British Airways ATP.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
33. Only one airline was operating nonstop service from London to Fort Lauderdale and the flight only operated twice a week. Identify the London area airport this flight departed from in addition to the air carrier and the equipment.
33- putting on my WHBM hat here, I’ll guess this was a DC-10-30 operated by Sir Freddie Laker’s eponymous airline from Gatwick (LGW)

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 15, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
31. VLM Airlines, Fokker 50

32. Malmo Aviation, BAe 146

LCY is one of the few airports, if not the only airport, that I have a desire to use at least once but have never done so. The airport looks like an aircraft carrier from the air.
31. It wasn't VLM but the aircraft type operated on the LCY-EIN route was the Fokker F50.

32. Correct! And BTW, Malmo Airport (previously known as Sturup Airport) is located approximately 55km/34 miles from the center of Copenhagen, Denmark.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 15, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Air UK, on a Fokker 50.

Probably an ABC Vanguard, doing the cargo shuttle from Aberdeen for Shell. However, that likely doesn't count, so I'll go for a British Airways ATP.
38. Air UK is correct; however, the aircraft type was actually a Fokker F27. Here's the sched for the one and only flight on weekdays....

UK 601: Edinburgh (EDI) 07:55 - 09:10 Humberside (HUY)
Op: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service class: Y
Equip: F27

39. Ah yes, we are looking for sched pax ops here and the BAe ATP operated by Loganair for British Airways is correct!

BTW, there were three nonstop flights a day between Sumburgh and Aberdeen at this time operated with the ATP. And on Saturdays one could catch an ATP flight nonstop to Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands and then on to Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 15, 2019 at 4:34 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

31. If you wanted to fly from London City Airport (LCY) nonstop to Eindhoven (EIN) in The Netherlands at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?.
I was thinking it could be KLM City Hopper.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23- PHX-XXX-SEA: I’m sticking with my original thought of an airline that wasn’t a fixture at PHX, and (unlike PSA and LAX) probably hadn’t made substantial inroads at the intermediate stop either ... Wien Air Alaska, operating a 737-200 via Salt Lake City (SLC)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:41 pm

35. You are in Norwich, England and need to travel to Stavanger, Norway. You've found a flight which operates nonstop from NCL to SVG six days a week and is flown with a jet. Identify the air carrier and the aircraft.
I saw Norwich then NCL (Newcastle) in the question but I'll try Air UK using a Fokker 100 anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:49 pm

Malmo Airport (previously known as Sturup Airport) is located approximately 55km/34 miles from the center of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Being so close to Copenhagen, many Malmo residents use CPH for their air travel.
Did you know that between 1984 and 1994, SAS operated hovercraft services from Malmo to Copenhagen airport?

From the SAS Facebook page - I can't post the the link here:

SAS started hovercraft services between Malmö and Copenhagen Airport using two 86-seat hovercraft. The boats wore SAS-logo and viking-names, and had uniformed SAS-crew. The crossing took 35 minutes, and the hovercraft were operated on the route until July 1994, when they were replaced by catamaran boats. The original two hovercraft were named Liv Viking and Freja Viking, and third hovercraft, named Idun Viing, was added in 1989

Since the bridge linking Sweden and Denmark opened, it's possible to take a train from Malmo city direct to Copenhagen airport with a journey time under 20 minutes.

strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33- putting on my WHBM hat here, I’ll guess this was a DC-10-30 operated by Sir Freddie Laker’s eponymous airline from Gatwick (LGW)
33. Correct! I believe this was the second attempt by Sir Freddie Laker to operate transatlantic DC-10 services and his partner in this venture was Oscar Wyatt, a mercurial self-made Texas oilman and millionaire who founded Coastal Corporation, a diversified energy company with roots in oil and gas exploration and production. This version of Laker Airways only lasted several years and I think they operated both DC-10-10 (N946LL) and DC-10-30 aircraft (N832LA & N833LA). I also seem to recall that a premium product called Regency class was offered in the front end of the airplanes. Perhaps WHBM can cast a bit more light concerning this version of Laker Airways. And it's anyone's guess why Mr. Wyatt decided to get involved in the airline business as he really did not have an aviation background besides being a decorated US Army Air Force bomber pilot in World War II.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA
18. Indeed, it was a US air carrier. And the airline in question was operating a DC-10. World is an excellent guess as well as I recall they did attempt to offer two class service with a premium product featured in the front end of the airplane.....which did not last too long as they soon went back to a one class all-coach configuration on their DC-10-30 aircraft.

However, it wasn't World and Boston and Baltimore were not involved with this service into London Gatwick. Please guess again, sir!
Well the only other one I can think of at the time would have been Western, who (briefly) ran DC-10s from both Denver and Anchorage into London Gatwick. It didn't last too long. If I'm not mistaken both routes were through routed on to Honolulu, and marketed in the UK as such.

I wonder though where on earth they would have found a limo company with multiple Rolls-Royces in Anchorage.

And, my goodness, a US Marine Corps CH-53K "King Stallion" helicopter just roared low over the house heading west. I'll surmise this huge military rotorcraft must have just departed from nearby KLFT after taking on fuel. Gentlemen, I am truly awake now....and our cat sitting outside in the front rose garden even took note of this fly-by.
And sorry to cap this one, but we just had the two-yearly military hardware trade show at the London Excel centre, right next to London City airport, and our house. The parking lot at the LCY end was filled with helicopters, which all came together, led by a Chinook. You can imagine the noise of arrival. Big naval vessels in the old docks alongside LCY as well. Here's the arrival.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/3122...nce-trade-show
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23- PHX-XXX-SEA: I’m sticking with my original thought of an airline that wasn’t a fixture at PHX, and (unlike PSA and LAX) probably hadn’t made substantial inroads at the intermediate stop either ... Wien Air Alaska, operating a 737-200 via Salt Lake City (SLC)
23. Ah, it wasn't Wien Air Alaska and the stop was not made at SLC.

However, on the plus side, the aircraft in question was a Boeing 737-200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.