Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Seemed the only contender; I was aware that Trans Canada/Air Canada didn't run to Boston except from the Maritimes. Mohawk linked the points but only by a lot of places along the way, and did not have F. US preclearance had not started then so any flight from Canada could not serve La Guardia, and would have to go to Idlewild. American was significant on both legs of the route. I recalled that New York to Toronto converted to Electras quite early on, as they were up against TCA Viscounts......
Well, speaking of Canada and Canadian air carriers, here's a couple of more new quiz items, both with a time line of 1989......

35. Canadian Airlines International was serving four airports in the U.S. at this time. Please be sure to include all four airports with your guess. ANSWERED - LAX, SFO, MDW and HNL

36. If you wanted to fly on board a Lockheed Electra at this time nonstop between two major cities in Canada, what airline would you call and what two airports would you fly between? ANSWERED - NWT Air between YYC and YEG operating Air Canada Connector service

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:19 pm Reason: correction concerning # 35 & clarification concerning # 36
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, speaking of Canada and Canadian air carriers, here's a couple of more new quiz items, both with a time line of 1989......

35. Canadian Airlines International was serving four airports in the U.S. at this time. Please be sure to include all four airports with your guess.
I'll start.

SFO LAX, LGA, ORD. There were charter services to at least LAS and RNO but I doubt these show up anywhere, or count for this matter..
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:48 am

Here are my guesses:

8. How about Mexicana, via SJO and MEX.

10. There were three airlines that served both MCI and BOS in 1973: TWA has been ruled out, and I think flying DL would require more than two stops. That leaves UA. I'll guess UA's flight was via ORD and CLE, using a 737-222.

I've just purchased a Sep 1972 OAG from legendary aviation historian Imre Quastler. I'm going to have a LOT of fun using it to come up with quiz questions.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA
36. If you wanted to fly on board a Lockheed Electra at this time nonstop between two major cities in Canada, what airline would you call and what two airports would you fly between?
Two major cities … what about NWT Air, with their Electras routing Calgary-Edmonton-Yellowknife.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'll start.

SFO LAX, LGA, ORD. There were charter services to at least LAS and RNO but I doubt these show up anywhere, or count for this matter..
35. SFO and LAX: Yep! And CP had served these two destinations from YVR for a number of years. LGA and ORD: Nope!

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Here are my guesses:

8. How about Mexicana, via SJO and MEX.

10. There were three airlines that served both MCI and BOS in 1973: TWA has been ruled out, and I think flying DL would require more than two stops. That leaves UA. I'll guess UA's flight was via ORD and CLE, using a 737-222.

I've just purchased a Sep 1972 OAG from legendary aviation historian Imre Quastler. I'm going to have a LOT of fun using it to come up with quiz questions.
8. It wasn't Mexicana and the flight in question did not stop at SJO or MEX.

10. It wasn't United, the equipment wasn't a B737-200 and stops were not made at ORD or CLE.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Two major cities … what about NWT Air, with their Electras routing Calgary-Edmonton-Yellowknife.
36. Correct! And one could have called Air Canada as well as Northwest Territorial Airways (NWT) was operating these flights as Air Canada Connector service on behalf of AC. Here are the roundtrip scheds.....

AC/NV 1958: Edmonton International (YEG) 12:00n - 12:40p Calgary (YYC)
Freq: Mondays and Fridays only
Service class: Y
Equip: Electra (LOE)

AC/NV 1954: Edmonton International (YEG) 12:00n - 12:40p Calgary (YYC)
Freq: Sundays only

AC/NV 1959: Calgary (YYC) 3:50p - 4:30p Edmonton International (YEG)
Freq: Mondays, Fridays and Sundays only

Unfortunately, I do not have the complete NWT scheds for Yellowknife (YZF) but am reasonably sure these flights did involve service from YZF to YEG as well as continuing back to YZF from YEG and perhaps other destinations north of Edmonton as well.

And now back to chainsaw ops here at the house as I replenish our firewood supply in advance of a possible intrusion of an arctic air mass into southern Louisiana in the not so distant future.......
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:02 am

10. If we've ruled out TWA and United, that leaves Delta. MCI-ATL-PHL-BOS on a 727-200.

35. What about MDW? I think Canadian had a tie in with Midway Airlines in the late 1980s.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10. If we've ruled out TWA and United, that leaves Delta. MCI-ATL-PHL-BOS on a 727-200.

35. What about MDW? I think Canadian had a tie in with Midway Airlines in the late 1980s.
You're getting much closer!

10. Delta operating Kansas City - Atlanta - Philadelphia - Boston is correct.....but not with a B727-200.

35. Yep, Canadian was operating round trip B737-200 service nonstop between Chicago Midway and Toronto with four flights in each direction on weekdays in late 1989. So besides LAX, SFO and MDW, we are looking for one more airport in the U.S. served by the airline at this time....and this destination was served by CP for many years.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
16. Well, I had a feeling you might pick up on that.....as Southern operating a DC9-10 departing Chicago Midway is correct!

And I think you actually meant MIA instead of MCO when you stated the "three stops between MEM and MCO", right? As for those three stops, the SO flight in question did not stop in Birmingham (the one in Alabama) or Pensacola (the one next to Alabama) but did stop in Tallahassee (the one in Florida).

And ALM is correct as well! Here's that sched......

LM 972: Miami (MIA) 3:05p - 4:35p Kingston (KIN)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Equip: DC9
Note: LM 972 continued south from KIN to the ABC islands, of course
16- ok, let's try three stops between MEM and MIA; we know TLH is in there
Montgomery (MGM), TLH, MCO
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
16- ok, let's try three stops between MEM and MIA; we know TLH is in there
Montgomery (MGM), TLH, MCO
16. Yep! Here's the sched....

SO 211: Chicago Midway (MDW) 7:15a - 8:35a Memphis (MEM) 9:00a - 9:55a Montgomery (MGM) 10:10a - 11:47a Tallahassee (TLH) 12:01p - 12:44p Orlando (MCO) 12:58p - 1:38p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal services: Breakfast MDW-MEM, Snack TLH-MCO
Equip: DC9-10

Connecting to.....

LM 972: Miami (MIA) 3:05p - 4:35p Kingston (KIN) 5:05p - 6:40p Curacao (CUR)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Meal service: None
Equip: DC9-10

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 8, 2020 at 11:28 am Reason: included LM connecting flt. info
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:57 am

You're getting much closer!

10. Delta operating Kansas City - Atlanta - Philadelphia - Boston is correct.....but not with a B727-200.

35. Yep, Canadian was operating round trip B737-200 service nonstop between Chicago Midway and Toronto with four flights in each direction on weekdays in late 1989. So besides LAX, SFO and MDW, we are looking for one more airport in the U.S. served by the airline at this time....and this destination was served by CP for many years.
Let's try to tap these two in.

10. I'll guess a DC-9-30.

35. I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it sooner, but the answer is HNL.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's try to tap these two in.

10. I'll guess a DC-9-30.

35. I'm kicking myself right now for not thinking of it sooner, but the answer is HNL.
10. Please guess again!

35. Yep! Canadian was operating nonstop DC-10 service to Honolulu from both Vancouver and Calgary at this time and I believe some of the flights from YVR continued on to Nandi and Sydney.

I also remember watching a CP DC-10-30 depart from HNL years ago in a torrential rain storm. I was Director of Marketing at the time for Mahalo Air and our offices and hangar were located adjacent to one of the runways at HNL - we had a great view of the airfield. There was a tropical weather system passing near the islands and an intense squall line was moving across the airport. The DC-10 held short for a bit but then took off anyway. The aircraft was streaming quite a bit of water as it roared down the runway - very impressive and one wonders what the passengers were thinking. Following the departure of the CP DC-10, other departing flights were then held until the squall passed.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1973.....

8. You are in Panama City, Panama. You need to travel to Chicago and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't Braniff or Mexicana and stops were not made at IAH, DFW, SJO or MEX. The equipment was a 727 and both stops were made in the Caribbean.

9. Your visit to Chicago-land has gone well and now it's time to head down to Orlando. So how about a good old fashioned milk run?! Ah, here's a flight which fits the bill and makes five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the aircraft. Delta with a DC-9-30 departing from ORD and one of the stops was ATL. This flight did not stop at IND, PAH, MEM or BHM.

10. Now you are in Kansas City. You once again need to attend a dinner meeting in Boston and have found a flight with an excellent schedule which makes two stops en route. Name the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED - Delta flying MCI - ATL - PHL - BOS with a Convair 880
Just three two to go here and I've added a couple of hints. Following the correct answers for these, I'll then submit my final group of new quiz items.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:44 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:37 pm

10. Please guess again!
We've ruled out the 727-100/200 and the 737 (which DL did not fly in 1973, anyway).

I'm pretty sure DL's DC-9-10s were gone by 1973, so that leaves a DC-8-50 as my next guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.