Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
My next guess is TAT / Touraine Air Transport, with an F.28.
29. Close enough! The OAG lists this service as being operated by Transport Aerien Transregional (TAT). Here's the sched.....

IJ 5341: Mulhouse/Basel (MLH) 7:50a - 8:50a Nice (NCE)
Freq: Mondays through Fridays
Equip: Fokker F.28 Fellowship
Note: Operated as IJ 6341 on Fridays
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
11- ah, how about New York La Guardia (LGA)

27- didn’t IT have a couple of the ubiquitous 727s for awhile?
11. Please guess again!

27. The OAG does list 727 service being operated by Air Inter (IT) in 1989....so you are correct!

However, what I'm not completely sure about is whether Air Inter actually had Boeing 727 equipment in its fleet....or whether another air carrier was operating 727 service on behalf of Air Inter. Consider this photo.....

https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing...al_175589.html

Now this photo was not taken in 1989....it was taken earlier in the 1980's. So I wonder if Air Charter International (ACI) was operating 727 service on behalf of not only Air Inter but Air France as well in 1989.....or perhaps another air carrier was doing so.

BTW, the OAG also lists domestic flights with Air Inter flight numbers being operated in France with Boeing 737 and 747 (!) equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2020 at 11:19 am Reason: fixed photo link
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
11- Philadelphia (PHL) is about the only other point "quite a bit north of Florida" that I can think of with DL service from both BOS and MIA
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
11- Philadelphia (PHL) is about the only other point "quite a bit north of Florida" that I can think of with DL service from both BOS and MIA
11. Correct! Here's the sched....

DL 1071: Boston (BOS) 8:00a - 9:04a Philadelphia (PHL) 9:50a - 12:08p Miami (MIA)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast BOS-PHL, Lunch (with Royal Service in F) PHL-MIA
Equip: DC-10

BTW, Delta was not yet operating the L-1011 at this time with DC-10 equipment being flown as an interim measure until the TriStar aircraft arrived. I remember talking with a Delta Convair 880 Captain based in the Houston area back in the day who was getting ready to transition to the DC-10 and then later transition to the L-1011. In 1973, DL was operating DC-10 service from Houston with a routing of IAH - MSY - LGA. And way back in 1960, Delta operated the world's first scheduled passenger flight with the CV-880 from Houston Hobby nonstop to New York Idlewild.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2020 at 12:42 pm Reason: historical side note
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:28 pm

In 1989, AF and Air Inter were operating flights on behalf of each other; some Air Inter domestic flights were operated by AF on behalf of IT, and some international flights were operated by Air Inter on behalf of AF.

I was a HUGE beneficiary of this. I booked a LGW-CDG flight in March, 1989, before the summer schedule was published. My flight, on May 5, was due to be operated by an Air France 737. When I arrived at LGW on May 5, to my shock an Air Inter Mercure was waiting for me.

I was very grateful to add this exceedingly rare aircraft type to my logbook.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
27. The OAG does list 727 service being operated by Air Inter (IT) in 1989....so you are correct!

However, what I'm not completely sure about is whether Air Inter actually had Boeing 727 equipment in its fleet....or whether another air carrier was operating 727 service on behalf of Air Inter. Consider this photo.....

https://www.airteamimages.com/boeing...al_175589.html

Now this photo was not taken in 1989....it was taken earlier in the 1980's. So I wonder if Air Charter International (ACI) was operating 727 service on behalf of not only Air Inter but Air France as well in 1989.....or perhaps another air carrier was doing so.
Bonjour from Nice - on the beach today.

You are right to be perplexed, it was complicated. Basically Air France owned much of Air Inter (UTA owned a bit as well, which ultimately came Air France's way). They also owned Air Charter, meant to run just holiday flights. However the aircraft went back and forth over time, both long term with livery changes and for individual flights. Which in all truth is what many other European operators tended to do as well at the time, but Air France had the most complex arrangements. They were also early pioneers in Europe to having commuter carriers operate for them in their mainstream liveries.

For example, Paris to Nice was an Air France service from CDG, with an F/Y cabin, and a parallel and higher frequency Air Inter service from Orly, Y class only (as the whole of IT was). So the stars headed from Hollywood via CDG to the Cannes Film Festival could have F service all the way.

I believe there were significant (in French terms) union and pay differences between the employee groups that prevented consolidation for many years. Ultimately the Air Inter high frequency trunk routes from provincial major cities to Paris, that bankrolled their whole domestic operation, lost a great deal of their traffic to the TGV high speed trains being introduced.
jlemon likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:06 pm

32. Also in 1993, if you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 767-200 from London Heathrow nonstop to Nice, what air carrier would you call?

33. In 1996, all of the nonstop flights from Nice to Barcelona to were operated with turboprop equipment by four different air carriers.
Aircraft types included the ATR 42, the DHC-8 Dash 8 and the Fokker F.50. However, one airline was operating the Saab 2000 on the route. Name this air carrier.
32. Kuwait Airways

33. Regional Airlines
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Bonjour from Nice - on the beach today.

You are right to be perplexed, it was complicated. Basically Air France owned much of Air Inter (UTA owned a bit as well, which ultimately came Air France's way). They also owned Air Charter, meant to run just holiday flights. However the aircraft went back and forth over time, both long term with livery changes and for individual flights. Which in all truth is what many other European operators tended to do as well at the time, but Air France had the most complex arrangements. They were also early pioneers in Europe to having commuter carriers operate for them in their mainstream liveries.

For example, Paris to Nice was an Air France service from CDG, with an F/Y cabin, and a parallel and higher frequency Air Inter service from Orly, Y class only (as the whole of IT was). So the stars headed from Hollywood via CDG to the Cannes Film Festival could have F service all the way.

I believe there were significant (in French terms) union and pay differences between the employee groups that prevented consolidation for many years. Ultimately the Air Inter high frequency trunk routes from provincial major cities to Paris, that bankrolled their whole domestic operation, lost a great deal of their traffic to the TGV high speed trains being introduced.
The OAG lists domestic 747 service operated by Air Inter (IT) nonstop to Paris Orly from Bordeaux, Marseille and Toulouse in 1989 (although none of these flights was operated on a daily basis). Curious to know the actual operator of these flights....was it Air France or Air Charter International?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
32. Kuwait Airways

33. Regional Airlines
32. Please guess again!

33. Correct! Here's the sched...

VM 326: Barcelona (BCN) 7:05p - 8:10p Nice (NCE)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Equip: Saab 2000
Note: VM 326 - joint operation with Iberia (IB)
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:33 pm

32. Please guess again!
Air Mauritius

Last edited by KT550; Jan 2, 2020 at 2:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air Mauritius
32. Ah, it wasn't Air Mauritius.....
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:55 pm

32. Ah, it wasn't Air Mauritius.....
I know most of their flights went through Frankfurt and/or Rome but in desperation.......

Ethiopian Airlines
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know most of their flights went through Frankfurt and/or Rome but in desperation.......

Ethiopian Airlines
32. A noble effort ....but nope! Please guess again, sir!

Plus, here's a hint: the air carrier in question was not based in Africa or Asia.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:27 pm

32. A noble effort ....but nope! Please guess again, sir!
Final guess for tonight...

VARIG
Old Jan 2, 2020, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I'll offer a somewhat-wild but plausible guess for

32. Air Canada

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.