Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by dfw88
I'll admit that I cheated with GCMap, but it's probably time to RAP this one up (sorry, bad pun). How about OMA?
OMA is correct. And now, the OAG will go back in my attic for a while. Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:27 am

37. In 1974, Frontier was awarded a route to YWG as an extension of a route we've talked a LOT about this week. I'm guessing a FL 737 "Arrow Jet" routed YWG-MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN-ABQ-PHX.

45. Sunworld, PSP-LAS.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
40- oddball try ... Lufthansa DC-10-30 to Frankfurt (FRA) with a stop in Atlanta (ATL), connecting to a 737
40. No, it wasn't Lufthansa, the stop wasn't made at ATL, the connection was not made at FRA and a 737 wasn't one of the aircraft.....but one of the flights was operated with a DC-10.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by strickerj
44. I seem to recall my dad telling me he was on this route, albeit some years earlier - I’m going to say a Western DC-10 via LAX.

60. IIRC Aloha served OAK, BUR, and SNA nonstop from Hawaii, and SMF, RNO, LAS, and PHX with stops. I’d say SNA flights continued on to PHX and RNO, BUR continued to LAS and SMF, and OAK probably also went to RNO.

I was in high school then and followed airline schedules closely. I was intrigued by the prospect of a flight that long (over water no less) in a 737-700.
44. Well, the flight in question was operated with a DC-10. However, the airline wasn't Western and the stop was not made at LAX.

60. Here's the scorecard....

* SNA - PHX: Yep!

* SNA - RNO: Yep!

* BUR - LAS: Yep!

* BUR - SMF: Yep!

* OAK - RNO: Nope!

BTW, an old friend of mine who was a pilot with Aloha flew these routes in their B737-700 aircraft approved for ETOPS as part of their service between Hawaii and the western U.S. And he flew the HNL-YVR route as well.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 11, 2020 at 1:44 pm Reason: a BTW....
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
My hunch is a European carrier. If making one stop on the way, lets go for longstanding Houston stalwart KLM (they had been there from early DC8 days) with a 747, stopping at … maybe Atlanta. Connect at Amsterdam onto a DC9-30 to Milan. Did the 747 come through from Mexico City ?
40. Ah, it wasn't KLM Royal Dutch and the first flight wasn't operated with a 747 while the second flight wasn't operated with a DC9-30. We can also rule out at stop at Atlanta as well as a connection at Amsterdam.

And we dodged a bullet here, weather-wise, as a very intense thunderstorm squall line with nearly constant lightning and high winds rolled through the LFT area just before dawn this morning. We had power outages and trees down in parts of the city.....but no tornadoes and no flooding. Very unfortunately, other parts of Louisiana did not fare as well with several fatalities reported in the northern parishes due to tornadoes.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
42. South African Airways, on a flight from Sal, Cape Verde Island that originated at JNB Jan Smuts, which is the name used in 1983. Bonus points that it used Terminal B at IAH?
42. Correct! And I'm not sure what terminal at IAH this flight used.....
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
OAK
BUR
SNA
now I have to piece it with RNO LAS PHX SMF, at least that's my plan. I think they wanted O&D traffic so OAK-SMF wouldn't make sense.

1. OAK-LAS
2. BUR-LAS
3. BUR-SMF
4. SNA-RNO
5. OAK-PHX
60. strickerj beat you to the punch on this one and correctly guessed four of the five city pairs.

However, he also guessed OAK - RNO which is incorrect while you have correctly guessed OAK - PHX.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
37. In 1974, Frontier was awarded a route to YWG as an extension of a route we've talked a LOT about this week. I'm guessing a FL 737 "Arrow Jet" routed YWG-MOT-BIS-RAP-DEN-ABQ-PHX.

45. Sunworld, PSP-LAS.
37. Frontier operating a B737-200 is correct! However, while this flight did stop at MOT, BIS, DEN and ABQ, it did not stop at RAP. So we are looking for one more stop here as well as the stops in the correct order. Minot was the first stop and Bismarck/Mandan was the second stop.

45. Nope, it wasn't Sunworld and the destination wasn't Las Vegas.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
40. Let's try VIASA flying IAH-CUN-CCS with an A300 and then to MXP with the DC-10.

44. Not sure if CO was still on the HNL-YVR route by then but if so Continental via HNL
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
40. Ah, it wasn't KLM Royal Dutch and the first flight wasn't operated with a 747 while the second flight wasn't operated with a DC9-30. We can also rule out at stop at Atlanta as well as a connection at Amsterdam.
OK, British Caley, on a DC-10 Houston-St Louis-London Gatwick, connecting to their BAC One-Eleven onward to Milan.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
40. Let's try VIASA flying IAH-CUN-CCS with an A300 and then to MXP with the DC-10.

44. Not sure if CO was still on the HNL-YVR route by then but if so Continental via HNL
40. You are definitely on the right track here as it was VIASA with a connection being made via Caracas to a nonstop VA flight to Milan operated with a DC-10-30.

However, the first flight wasn't operated with an A300 and the stop was not made at Cancun......so please guess again, sir!

44. Correct!

Here's the sched....

CO 39: Vancouver (YVR) 6:45p - 10:45p Honolulu (HNL) 11:55p (est.)- 12:32a Kahului, Maui (OGG)
Freq: Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner YVR-HNL
Equip: DC-10
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, British Caley, on a DC-10 Houston-St Louis-London Gatwick, connecting to their BAC One-Eleven onward to Milan.
40. An excellent guess, sir! However, it wasn't British Caledonian.....it was VIASA via a connection made in Caracas.

Please see above!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
40. DC-9-30 via MIA?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40- I’ll posit a DC-8, and the only place on a map that looks reasonable for an intermediate stop (since I don’t recall VA having service to the ABCs from IAH) would be Maracaibo
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by jlemon
44. Well, the flight in question was operated with a DC-10. However, the airline wasn't Western and the stop was not made at LAX.

60. Here's the scorecard....

* SNA - PHX: Yep!

* SNA - RNO: Yep!

* BUR - LAS: Yep!

* BUR - SMF: Yep!

* OAK - RNO: Nope!

BTW, an old friend of mine who was a pilot with Aloha flew these routes in their B737-700 aircraft approved for ETOPS......
Hmm, DC-10 that’s not Western... that doesn’t narrow it down much, lol. I’m going to say not Delta since they didn’t have much service in that area before acquiring WA. (Or was this post-merger in 1987? Nah, surely you’d have mentioned that... ) I’m also going to say it wasn’t AA since the logical stop for them would have also been LAX. So how about UA via SFO? If not, then it’s time to start thinking further inland.

OAK-PHX surprises me a bit. My backup answer was OAK-LAS.

EDIT: Nevermind that update; I missed that it had already been solved. (The page loaded past where I left off, so I didn’t see some of the interim posts.) And I apparently also missed that the destination was Maui (OGG) rather than HNL, which had me thinking U.S. airlines via other west coast cities.

Last edited by strickerj; Jan 11, 2020 at 1:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.