Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
The only carrier that I think traditionally served both places was Eastern, but even there I think from Mobile they only did northward to Atlanta, while East-West had been National country. I can't see Pan Am still carrying on with this at such a late date, so I'll guess an upstart. Lets go for American, with a 727 Mexico-Dallas-New Orleans-Mobile.
54. A superb guess! And it's mostly correct! All you have to do now is replace New Orleans with another city as the second stop. Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA
Memphis ?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The only carrier that I think traditionally served both places was Eastern, but even there I think from Mobile they only did northward to Atlanta, while East-West had been National country. I can't see Pan Am still carrying on with this at such a late date, so I'll guess an upstart. Lets go for American, with a 727 Mexico-Dallas-New Orleans-Mobile.
Originally Posted by jlemon
54. A superb guess! And it's mostly correct! All you have to do now is replace New Orleans with another city as the second stop. Please guess again, sir!
Memphis ?
In the waning days of the 1980s, AA still had a few curious tag flights and smaller cities with mainline service. If MEM is incorrect, I will make an advance guess of BTR.

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1995.....
57. Now you're in Tampa. Old friends have called from Steamboat Springs and the message is: "Come on up and go skiing with us! Conditions are excellent!" Well, how can you say no.....and to make things even easier, there's a direct daily one stop flight from Tampa to the Yampa Valley Airport (HDN) in Hayden near Steamboat! Wow! Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.
Keeping with the AA theme, I will guess an AA 722 routing TPA-DFW-HDN.

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Memphis ?
54. Ah, no.....but you are in the approximate geographical area of old Dixie......
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
In the waning days of the 1980s, AA still had a few curious tag flights and smaller cities with mainline service. If MEM is incorrect, I will make an advance guess of BTR.

Keeping with the AA theme, I will guess an AA 722 routing TPA-DFW-HDN.
Hello Herb!

54. Well, Memphis and now Red Stick (BTR) are both gone. Ya'll guess again!

57. Yep, you are going to be on board a B727-200....in first class, of course. But alas, you won't be on American and you'll thus not be making at stop at Dallas/Fort Worth......
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Hello Herb!

54. Well, Memphis and now Red Stick (BTR) are both gone. Ya'll guess again!

57. Yep, you are going to be on board a B727-200....in first class, of course. But alas, you won't be on American and you'll thus not be making at stop at Dallas/Fort Worth......
I actually visited HDN a couple of times around the year in question, give or take a year. I cannot remember what mainline equipment I saw at HDN other than AA's. I got there via UAX flights from DEN (operated by Mesa/YV, if memory serves. Flying fairly low over the Rockies in a Beech 1900 was beautiful flying). Had UA operated mainline into HDN I probably would have been on it, so I'm going to guess that the non-AA 722 going to HDN wasn't United either.

Continental TPA-IAH-HDN perhaps?

(Another HDN reminiscence. Back then there were separate buildings for AA's mainline flights and the UAX/YV commuter flights to DEN. There was no security screening at HDN on the flights to DEN so they had to park at special positions on the ramp at DEN in order to funnel disembarking passengers into a landside part of the concourse outside security.)

Last edited by Herb687; Jan 15, 2020 at 5:57 pm Reason: HDN commentary
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
57. CO via xDEN.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually visited HDN a couple of times around the year in question, give or take a year. I cannot remember what mainline equipment I saw at HDN other than AA's. I got there via UAX flights from DEN (operated by Mesa/YV, if memory serves. Flying fairly low over the Rockies in a Beech 1900 was beautiful flying). Had UA operated mainline into HDN I probably would have been on it, so I'm going to guess that the non-AA 722 going to HDN wasn't United either.

Continental TPA-IAH-HDN perhaps?

(Another HDN reminiscence. Back then there were separate buildings for AA's mainline flights and the UAX/YV commuter flights to DEN. There was no security screening at HDN on the flights to DEN so they had to park at special positions on the ramp at DEN in order to funnel disembarking passengers into a landside part of the concourse outside security.)
Driving by the entrance road to HDN last May on U.S. 40 en route to Steamboat from Jackson Hole, I was struck by the very small access road to the airport. And one could not miss that huge plant with the big stacks in the proximity of the airfield......

Oh, we still have a quiz to address.....

57. It wasn't Continental and this flight did not stop at IAH.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
57. CO via xDEN.
57. Nope, it wasn't Continental and the flight in question did not stop in Denver.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

57. Nope, it wasn't Continental and the flight in question did not stop in Denver.
NW via MSP?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:24 am

48. Guess #3 : a Jon Proctor special: DTW-STL-PHX on TWA, with a 727-200.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: BA
54. Ah, no.....but you are in the approximate geographical area of old Dixie......
I shall have to be careful here not to embarrass myself, especially since I will actually be in "Old Dixie" itself next week, thanks to BA. And I've had to look at a map. Memphis was long ago an AA focus point, being on their traditional New York-Dallas-LA transcontinental route, which is why I went for it. Not MSY, BTR, or MEM. What about Jackson ?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NW via MSP?
57. Northwest is correct! Here's the sched....

NW 1261: Tampa (TPA) 8:00a - 10:23a Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 11:45a - 1:08p Steamboat Springs/Hayden (HDN)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast TPA-MSP, Lunch MSP-HDN
Equip: B727-200

This was the one and only flight operated into Hayden by NW at the time. Other air carriers operating seasonal service into HDN in early 1995 included the usual suspects: American with weekend B757-200 nonstops from ORD and EWR plus a daily B757-200 nonstop from DFW which originated at EWR, United with weekend B737-300 nonstops from ORD and LAX plus a daily B737-300 nonstop from DEN which originated at LAX, and Continental with a daily B727-200 nonstop from IAH. In addition, Continental Express and United Express were both operating flights from DEN, COEx with the Beechcraft 1900C and UAEx with the Beechcraft 1900C and the Embraer EMB-120 Brasilia. Meanwhile, the close-in airport in Steamboat Springs (SBS) no longer had scheduled service (it previously had DHC-7 Dash 7 service from DEN operated by Rocky Mountain Airways).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
48. Guess #3 : a Jon Proctor special: DTW-STL-PHX on TWA, with a 727-200.
48. Nope, it wasn't TWA, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 and the flight in question did not stop in St. Louis.

BTW, I have a great book co-authored by Mr. Proctor with Mike Machat and Craig Kodera: "From Props To Jets: Commercial Aviation's Transition to the Jet Age 1952-1962". I intend to use it as source of future quiz items one of these fine days.....
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I shall have to be careful here not to embarrass myself, especially since I will actually be in "Old Dixie" itself next week, thanks to BA. And I've had to look at a map. Memphis was long ago an AA focus point, being on their traditional New York-Dallas-LA transcontinental route, which is why I went for it. Not MSY, BTR, or MEM. What about Jackson ?
54. Yep, this flight stopped in Jackson. Here's the sched....

AA 364: Mexico City (MEX) 4:25p - 6:49p Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 8:02p - 9:27p Jackson (JAN) 9:55p - 10:34p Mobile (MOB)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner MEX-DFW
Equip: B727-200

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.