Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hello from a hotel in DC, arrived here earlier on a BA A380. An impressive aircraft, although being sat right over the main gear, what a noise when it went down and up. Still the class BA service that seems to have changed little over the years. My first experience of the Mobile Lounges at Dulles, which I recall from picking up US timetables in the 1960s and seeing the 15 minute difference shown between aircraft and "mobile lounge time". Despite having the decals that they have been comprehensively rebuilt, they have all the mechanical air of being designed by a tractor manufacturer, awful utilitarian interior layout especially for those standing, entrance arrangements like a 19th century railway car - and so SLOW, both in running and the organisation ! Can you tell I was not impressed ?

This just sounds like TWA, and "the New York City area" seems to imply Newark. Let's think of the "classic" transcontinental TWA route, coming from LAX through Oklahoma, St Louis, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. And lets say it was still a 707.
Welcome to the States! And the last time we arrived at Dulles it was also on board a BA A380 from LHR. We had used AA miles for reward tickets for that particular trip and a schedule change had resulted in us traveling in First on our BA flight. Lovely service and yours truly got into the J. Walker Blue a bit on that flight.

39. Ah, it wasn't TWA and stops were not made at STL, IND or PIT. Plus the equipment wasn't a 707 and the flight did not arrive at Newark. But besides all that, I know your next guess will be much closer to the mark! And let it be said that the routing of the flight in question was a bit circuitous.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Let's try IAH-DFW-SLC-RNO then.
41. Ah, the first stop wasn't Dallas/Fort Worth. Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
39. Ah, you still love a good multi-stop flight....and you've found an interesting one. Your location is Oklahoma City in 1982 and you're off to New York City. Your flight will make three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops, the equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the New York City area
39- not TW, not a 707, and a “circuitous” routing that doesn’t terminate EWR ... I’ll offer Braniff with a 727, operating to LaGuardia (LGA) via Dallas (DFW), Memphis (MEM), and Washington National (DCA)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
55. You're in Chicago in 1991 and it's time to head back to Los Angeles. Now you could catch a nonstop.....but where's the fun in that?! Especially when you've found an interesting direct flight which makes three stops en route and operates six days a week to LAX. Identify the airport you will depart from in Chicago, the airline, all three stops and the aircraft.
It wasn't Southwest, the equipment wasn't a B737-500 and this flight did not stop at BNA, HOU or PHX....but it did depart from ORD.
55- let’s keep this in the 737 family for now: a United -300, via Des Moines (DSM), Denver (DEN), and Sacramento (SMF)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA
… wasn't ... not... nor ... wasn't … did not … . But besides all that, I know your next guess will be much closer to the mark.
Well it couldn't be much further away, evidently … !

Incidentally, I wonder was there any TWA offering that year which got close to doing what I suggest ? Once upon a time such a long line linkage would have been one for a Convair 880.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
39- not TW, not a 707, and a “circuitous” routing that doesn’t terminate EWR ... I’ll offer Braniff with a 727, operating to LaGuardia (LGA) via Dallas (DFW), Memphis (MEM), and Washington National (DCA)
39. Nope, it wasn't Braniff International and the flight in question did not stop at DFW or MEM nor did it in arrive into LGA....which means it terminated at New York Kennedy (JFK). And it did serve Washington National (DCA) which was the third stop and was operated with a 727. So you are making progress here.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

55- let’s keep this in the 737 family for now: a United -300, via Des Moines (DSM), Denver (DEN), and Sacramento (SMF)
55. Nope, it wasn't United, the flight did not stop at DSM, DEN or SMF and the equipment wasn't a B737-300.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39. Nope, it wasn't Braniff International and the flight in question did not stop at DFW or MEM nor did it in arrive into LGA....which means it terminated at New York Kennedy (JFK). And it did serve Washington National (DCA) which was the third stop and was operated with a 727. So you are making progress here.
39- 1982, a 727 on DCA-JFK, operated by an airline that also served OKC

either American or United might have gone to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) as the logical first stop, but I sure don't remember them having any ORD-XXX-DCA flights since the days of the Electra or Caravelle respectively; DCA-JFK also draws a blank for both of them at this point in time

Eastern over Atlanta (ATL), continuing via a point in one or the other of the Carolinas, also seems a relic of their Electra schedules, as does DCA-JFK

given that I flew Pan Am on that segment a couple times in the 82-83 timeframe, I'm scratching my head for another option, so herewith my official guess that the first two stops were a legacy National operation -- Houston (IAH) and Tampa (TPA)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it couldn't be much further away, evidently … !

Incidentally, I wonder was there any TWA offering that year which got close to doing what I suggest ? Once upon a time such a long line linkage would have been one for a Convair 880.
Well, we are looking at the sunny side of the equation here! And while I do not have a TWA schedule for 1982, I did find one for 1981. That year, Trans World flight 460 was operating a routing of Los Angeles (LAX) - Oklahoma City (OKC) - Tulsa (TUL) - St. Louis (STL) - New York LaGuardia (LGA). Unfortunately, the equipment is not stated for this flight but I think it's safe to say it was probably a B727-100 or B727-200.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39- 1982, a 727 on DCA-JFK, operated by an airline that also served OKC

either American or United might have gone to Chicago O'Hare (ORD) as the logical first stop, but I sure don't remember them having any ORD-XXX-DCA flights since the days of the Electra or Caravelle respectively; DCA-JFK also draws a blank for both of them at this point in time

Eastern over Atlanta (ATL), continuing via a point in one or the other of the Carolinas, also seems a relic of their Electra schedules, as does DCA-JFK

given that I flew Pan Am on that segment a couple times in the 82-83 timeframe, I'm scratching my head for another option, so herewith my official guess that the first two stops were a legacy National operation -- Houston (IAH) and Tampa (TPA)
39. Pan Am is correct! And you are almost there.....all you have to do now is correctly identify the second stop made by the flight in question as it wasn't Tampa.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a memorable day ...

speaking of Pan Am ...

22 Jan marks the 50th anniversary of the (actual departure of the) first commercial Boeing 747 flight ... PA2, JFK-LHR
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

58. (1996) Time to head back to Los Angeles one more time....and you are in Colorado Springs. Of course, you're in no hurry....and you've found a direct flight which operates six days a week that makes three stops en route. Identify the airline, all three stops and the aircraft. It wasn't Reno Air, the equipment wasn't an MD-80 and stops were not made at RNO or TUS. The second stop was LAS.

58- totally off-the-wall guess here: wasn’t this around the time that Western Pacific was transitioning their COS hub to Denver (DEN)? how about DEN first, then LAS, then San Diego (SAN) ... the jet, of course, being a 737-300

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 22, 2020 at 5:33 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA
speaking of Pan Am ...

22 Jan marks the 50th anniversary of the (actual departure of the) first commercial Boeing 747 flight ... PA2, JFK-LHR
I remember its arrival being shown on the BBC TV news when I came home from school. Of course, that was on the 23rd. I wonder if they will commemorate it tomorrow. In those days television only started at 5pm, so the late arrival was not much of an issue, the film (their news crews were still using it then) was motor-biked back to the BBC studios only a few miles away and processed. I believe they also brought, on board, newsreel footage of the departure from JFK, filmed, given to the crew, and then processed in London.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

58- totally off-the-wall guess here: wasn’t this around the time that Western Pacific was transitioning their COS hub to Denver (DEN)? how about DEN first, then LAS, then San Diego (SAN) ... the jet, of course, being a 737-300
58. Yet another great guess....but nope, it wasn't Western Pacific, stop #1 wasn't Denver, stop # 3 wasn't San Diego and the jet equipment in question wasn't a B737-300.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember its arrival being shown on the BBC TV news when I came home from school. Of course, that was on the 23rd. I wonder if they will commemorate it tomorrow. In those days television only started at 5pm, so the late arrival was not much of an issue, the film (their news crews were still using it then) was motor-biked back to the BBC studios only a few miles away and processed. I believe they also brought, on board, newsreel footage of the departure from JFK, filmed, given to the crew, and then processed in London.
Back around late 1970 (I think), Pan Am brought a new B747-100 to Houston Intercontinental Airport as part of what I believe was a PR effort to promote the aircraft. It was parked at a gate adjacent to a Pan Am 707 which really illustrated how much larger the 747 was. I wanted to see the 747, of course, but I did not yet have my own car. No problem. I asked my Mom to drop me off at the Clear Lake City STOLport (CLC) near the NASA Space Center where we lived, hopped on board a Houston Metro Twin Otter and flew up to IAH to see the 747 which was the first I'd ever seen up close and personal. I was 17 years old at the time.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.