Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Meanwhile when driving home this evening, right when stopped at a red light in Parliament Square, facing Big Ben, there is a big Bang-Ker-Boing !!! from the car roof, and a piece of tree branch continues its horizontal passage. Fortunately Mr Jaguar uses pretty heavy gauge steel.
Interesting.....I was outside investigating a small snake in the garden discovered by Lady K who was wondering if it might possibly be poisonous (I moved the wee little beast anyway) when there was a huge crash on the thoroughfare on the other side of the creek across from our backyard. I quickly called 9-1-1 and the authorities along with an ambulance arrived on scene just minutes later. It appears no one was seriously hurt in the collision but traffic is now snarled. Glad I'm not out driving over that way!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Wild shot at 53. America West via LAS and PHX
53. Not so wild! However, while this America West flight indeed stopped at Phoenix, it did not stop at Las Vegas. So all we need now is the missing stop. And here's a rather large hint: I do not believe nonstop flights were permitted between PHX and LGA at this time.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
53. Not so wild! However, while this America West flight indeed stopped at Phoenix, it did not stop at Las Vegas. So all we need now is the missing stop. And here's a rather large hint: I do not believe nonstop flights were permitted between PHX and LGA at this time.
1,500 mile(?) perimeter rule before McCain(?) intervened. Let's try BUR-PHX-BWI-LGA
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1,500 mile(?) perimeter rule before McCain(?) intervened. Let's try BUR-PHX-BWI-LGA
53. I wasn't aware of the intervention by the late Senator McCain but was aware of the 1,500 mile perimeter rule concerning LGA with the exception of DEN. I also believe that flights on Saturdays into and out of LGA were/are allowed to circumvent the perimeter rule.

At any rate, this flight did not stop at either Baltimore or Denver, so please guess again!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
53- Columbus OH, HP’s tertiary hub
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
53- Columbus OH, HP’s tertiary hub
53. Yet another great guess! But nope!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
53. I wasn't aware of the intervention by the late Senator McCain but was aware of the 1,500 mile perimeter rule concerning LGA with the exception of DEN.
My mistake. It was at DCA where McCain got range restrictions lifted. Don't remember how LGA's restrictions got imposed and how they were derestricted if at all. I understand that widebodies (namely DC10 and L-1011s) once operated there.

Anyway, I see CMH has been (wrongly) guessed. I'll go for MCI (not sure if HP even flew there then or ever).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Jan 14, 2020 at 5:40 pm Reason: changed answer
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by WHBM

Fun and games continue this evening at LCY, when the storm is if anything worse. Here's another sightseeing trip, this time a KLM E190 from Amsterdam; missed approach … and back.

METARUTC DATE/TIME

EGLC 141950Z AUTO 21022G35KT 180V240 6000 -RA BKN014 BKN019 OVC027 13/11 Q09952020-01-14 19:50:00

Meanwhile when driving home this evening, right when stopped at a red light in Parliament Square, facing Big Ben, there is a big Bang-Ker-Boing !!! from the car roof, and a piece of tree branch continues its horizontal passage. Fortunately Mr Jaguar uses pretty heavy gauge steel.
I thought Jags were aluminium these days?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mistake. It was at DCA where McCain got range restrictions lifted. Don't remember how LGA's restrictions got imposed and how they were derestricted if at all. I understand that widebodies (namely DC10 and L-1011s) once operated there.

Anyway, I see CMH has been (wrongly) guessed. I'll go for MCI (not sure if HP even flew there then or ever).
Ah, I was confused for a bit there....but I do remember range restrictions being lifted at Reagan National (which I believe enabled Alaska Airlines to operate nonstop LAX -DCA flights). And LGA did indeed have DC-10 and L-1011 service.

53. Well, yes, America West did serve Kansas City (MCI).....however, our flight in question did not stop there. Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The next seven quiz items all have a time line of 1989.......

46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into.

Continental, YYZ-CLE-IAH, Boeing 727-200
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Great questions, JL! You've got everybody swinging and missing ^

Hopefully this'll be a hit...

47. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Hamilton, Ontario in Canada to a destination in Florida at this time, you could do so but only twice a week. What airline would you call, what would be your destination in Florida and what type of aircraft would you be flying on? It wasn't Nordair or Nationair and the equipment wasn't a B737-200 or a Super DC8-61.This nonstop service was operated between YHM and FLL.

How about an airline I recently flew upon - Air Transat with a 727-200.

45. In 1987, if you wanted to depart from Palm Springs on board a DC9-10, what airline would you call and where would you fly to nonstop? And there was only one nonstop destination served by the airline in question from PSP at this time.
It wasn't Sunworld and the destination wasn't LAS.

Let's give Republic Airlines a go, flying to Phoenix

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 14, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:47 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
49 - if it was not Mirabel, I guess it was BOS.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by strickerj
I thought Jags were aluminium these days?
You are right, it is ...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:25 am

38. Texas International, MCI-DFW-IAH-MOB, with a DC-9

48. AA DC-10 DTW-DFW-PHX
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
The next seven quiz items all have a time line of 1989.......

46. This airline was operating three daily direct one stop flights from Toronto to Houston at this time. All three flights stopped at the same city with the same aircraft type being operated on every one of these flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop, the equipment and the airport in Houston these flights arrived into.

Continental, YYZ-CLE-IAH, Boeing 727-200
46. That's a great guess! But, nope, it wasn't Continental and the flights in question did not stop in Cleveland.....however, you have correctly guessed the equipment: the B727-200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.